Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-31-2013, 8:24 PM

Default Need some input from the ladies

I would to know if it is safe for my wife to go to an outdoor with me I ask because she is 8 months pregnant and she is curious as to what it is like to pull the trigger on a firearm. The only gun I have is a Glock 30 and waiting to bust a marlin 795 out of jail I'm more comfortable letting my wife shoot the .22 rifle but she would like to fire the Glock because she don't believe the recoil is a result of the bullet being fired. I just want to take her out before she is due just so she can satisfy that curiosity of of hers so please let me know your thoughts good idea or bad idea.
Old 08-31-2013, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

When my wife was pregnant I wanted to do the same thing. I didnt think baby would be bothered. Then one day she dropped a dish and baby jumped! From a dish in the metal sink. I dont think the sound is good for her belly.
Old 08-31-2013, 9:11 PM

It is not safe. Baby's ears are developing and water transmits sound better than air. There have been several studies done and the conclusion is a big re"sounding" NOPE. it won't hurt to wait a few months, but could cause damage if you take her. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 08-31-2013, 9:27 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

good grief! its called delayed gratification!
what is another 8 weeks to satisfy that urge?
4 weeks till she gives birth and another 4 weeks when you'll leave the child with a babysitter/grandparent!

it is no longer about the two of you but it is about the very best you can do for your soon to be child. why would you even consider doing anything that might and/or could damage this precious gift you've been given?!

I apologize for being so "opinionated" but this question is repeatedly asked and is repeatedly met with "no, don't do it".

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-31-2013, 9:53 PM

ROAD_DOG,

Welcome to the Ladies Forum! Your question is a good one and I'm glad you thought to seek input on this important topic.

Some people don't think that the sound of gunfire will harm an unborn baby; but, I think it does disturb the baby and I wouldn't take the chance. Plus, what about lead exposure? What if there's a negligent discharge and she gets shot through the stomach?

In my humble opinion, risking the life and health of the baby is not worth her curiosity for pulling the trigger on a firearm. This request is especially concerning given that she is just a short few weeks from giving birth. Surely she can wait a few weeks before going to the range.

Take her to the range some weeks after she gives birth and you two can enjoy a day out with both the Glock and the Marlin.

Best wishes for a safe and joyful delivery! (Of the baby, not the Marlin!! LOL)

BK
Old 08-31-2013, 10:01 PM

I would like to add that the fumes from fired ammunition may also pose a risk, even if it is infinitesimally marginal.
Old 09-01-2013, 7:24 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

thank you, BK, for saying it more nicely and succinctly than I did.....

I would also add that after your child is born and you and your wife hit the range, it is very important that your newborn not be exposed. as a start, take soap to the range and at least get the residue off your hands and arms prior to handling your child. a complete shower and change of clothes would be better. its amazing how much contaminates we can collect on our clothing, in our hair, etc at the range. being paranoid in this instance is not a bad thing.

so the answer to the next questions is "no, do not take your newborn to the range."

enjoy your new marlin......but enjoy a healthy newborn even more!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Agree with all the ladies. Also, I would avoid the range if she is going to breastfeed - given the residue, inhalation, and trace (very trace) amounts of lead present. While anything that could get to the baby via the milk would be in extremely small amounts, he or she is at the most easily influenced cognitive developmental stage. Congratulations on your pending addition (but based upon the recoil debate please don't let your wife teach him/her science)!
Old 09-01-2013, 3:23 PM

My Mom went hunting and shooting when I was in the womb. I don't think it hurt me a bit

Probably why I Majored in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics and a straight A average, just sayin......

No wonder I love the smell of cordite and gun oil it is in my blood!

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 09-01-2013 at 3:25 PM..
Old 09-01-2013, 7:28 PM

Thanks for all the info I guess she will have to wait hopefully in a few months ill take her out to the range I appreciate all the info given it is much appreciated...
Old 09-01-2013, 8:41 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

road, make it a real event, date type thing: picnic basket, etc. i'm going to bet that about that time you'll both be looking to connect as something other than parents. and I do apologize for being so strongly opinionated. BK really said it better than I did.

Gun Control:
Old 09-02-2013, 9:03 PM

Well can't wait for our 3rd little problem child to be born and all advise given I will follow it... But yeah a picnic at the range is a good idea can hardly wait I pick up my marlin on wensday
Old 09-03-2013, 1:33 PM

It's worth it to note that lead exposure is cumulative during your life. So, if you get a dose very young, when the brain is still developing, it's very bad.

I'd keep a special set of shooting clothes, after the baby arrives, and peel out of them in the garage, and straight into the washer. Watch out for your shoes too, they may pick up the most dust.

Get some of the liquid lead-removing hand soap and use it agressively.

Congrats and good luck with the newest little shooter.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 09-04-2013, 6:57 PM

Thanks and by newest little shooter do mean my rifle or my soon to be baby new born boy cuz I tell you what my 2nd child baby boy every time I took off his diaper I would get sprayed ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
It's worth it to note that lead exposure is cumulative during your life. So, if you get a dose very young, when the brain is still developing, it's very bad.

I'd keep a special set of shooting clothes, after the baby arrives, and peel out of them in the garage, and straight into the washer. Watch out for your shoes too, they may pick up the most dust.

Get some of the liquid lead-removing hand soap and use it agressively.

Congrats and good luck with the newest little shooter.

Last edited by ROAD_DOG; 09-04-2013 at 7:02 PM..
Old 09-04-2013, 7:24 PM

Always keep your baby pointed in a safe direction. Always treat the baby as if he were loaded.
Old 09-04-2013, 7:27 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

baby is ALWAYS loaded!

Gun Control:
Old 09-04-2013, 7:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickshooter View Post
Agree with all the ladies. Also, I would avoid the range if she is going to breastfeed - given the residue, inhalation, and trace (very trace) amounts of lead present. While anything that could get to the baby via the milk would be in extremely small amounts, he or she is at the most easily influenced cognitive developmental stage. Congratulations on your pending addition (but based upon the recoil debate please don't let your wife teach him/her science)!
Exactly!!!

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
"If we see that Germany is winning we ought to help Russia and if Russia is winning we ought to help Germany, and Neither of them thinks anything of their pledged word."
Harry Truman - As quoted in The New York Times 07/24/1941
"We do not keep anybody as our enemies;
But we do not recommend others to consider us as their enemy." V. Putin - 04/16/2015