Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-04-2013, 2:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonwall View Post
Personally, I watched this group tear him to shreds and he defended himself from a rabid pack of computer engineers, but you got to edit that history and those attacks.
It is rare that I come to Kestryll's defense, but he is correct. Mr. Birdt did act like a dick. And while it saddens me that we won't hear his viewpoint any more (except occasionally second-hand, from some of his acolytes), he fully deserved to be banned. With his manners, he was making a reasoned debate difficult.

Now it is true that there are lots of other people who are dicks, not just Kestryll and ivanimal. As an example, bwiese has recently said things that should earn him at least a long timeout (even though he is correct on the substance, his inflammatory language is unacceptable). And various other CGF board members (as usually ably led by hoffmang and his ED) have said insulting, demeaning and destructive things here (including threats of RL consequences) that should get them banned, and that at times have led to temporary bans.

Clearly, there is two kinds of justice here ... one for "friends of CGN" (which usually includes CGF board members), and one for "enemies of CGN". And sometimes, "enemies of CGN" aren't banned by moderators or admins, but are instead bullied to the point that they leave voluntarily. And the echo chamber and totalitarian style of discussions on this forum causes other members to just stay away. Since, for better or for worse, this forum is the primary place to exchange information about California gun politics, that probably means that people are driven away from participating in gun rights activism.

Most remaining members probably see this as a good thing. For the most part, they seem to be more interested in ideological purity, and being among like-minded people.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The second worst enemy of gun rights are gun people. The worst enemy are gun rights organizations.
Old 09-04-2013, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Oh definitely, one day I want to take over the world and remake it in my vision..
I read that in the voice of "the brain"

Old 09-04-2013, 3:23 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Oh definitely, one day I want to take over the world and remake it in my vision.

Unfortunately I'm also cripplingly lazy and world domination sounds like an awful lot of work and my couch is so comfy...

ETA I think in still frames, but great minds ...

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 09-04-2013 at 3:26 PM..
Old 09-04-2013, 4:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrass View Post
Are you including the Gray Peterson debacle in that total? While not a California case, CGF was heavily involved.
What did I miss in the Gray Peterson debacle??

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
And frankly there are only two dicks allowed on CGN, ivanimal and me.

On a more serious note, I haven't been here nearly long enough to account for the drama between various pro-2A orgs, but it certainly sucks to hear about it. That said, I'm convinced the OT forum on Calguns is far more damaging to our brand. It is a cesspool of closed-mindedness full of politicized BS. I'm less concerned with ego driven popularity contests within our ranks and more concerned with our collective image as gun owners to the world at large. Maybe I'm naive, but that's how I feel.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonwall View Post
Donations don't go to Kestryl, they go the CGF which Gene Hoffman runs.
There is no criticism of Kestryl here except for his past acts of censorship, but that was his right.
The issue is transparency in CGF donations. Where does the money go? I frankly don't care, i have seen enough good work product arising from their actions to justify the contributions they report and even with all of their stunning and embarrassing defeats I continue to cheer them on because the good far outweighs the bad, especially for a bunch of bay are computer geeks without law degrees!
^ THIS!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
What did I miss in the Gray Peterson debacle??

-hanko
From Lawyers.com analysis of Peterson v. Martinez:

"The strategy backfired because the lawsuit focused on the narrow issue of permits for non-residents, and blew up into an expansive ruling limiting gun rights. The ruling is a precedent in all federal courts."

And text from the actual ruling, courtesy the same article:

"We conclude that carrying a concealed weapon is not a privilege or immunity protected under Article IV [of the constitution],” the court ruled. “Given that the concealed carrying of firearms has not been recognized as a right … we cannot declare this activity sufficiently basic to the livelihood of the Nation.”

And now Gray is a little less pompous around these parts....
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming — yet refusing to disclose — some “master plan” is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda
Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonysmanifesto View Post
the court cases are still in motion and are part of a global strategy. please explain yourself- where did they go wrong? a particular civil rights case you dont like?

you dont like gun owners having a hotline?

please clarify
I think that he doesn't like a non-profit, non-lobbyist group that isn't able to lobby our entrenched anti-Constitution politicians and overturn all of the crap that they pass.

I doubt that even a highly funded group such as an NRA with 100% of gun owners as members would be able to accomplish much more. The problem is that the voters keep these corrupt politicians in power. NO group is going to be able to have a significant effect when having to take things through the highly expensive, very slow and typically also corrupt judicial route.

As far as I can see, CGF has accomplished far more than I could have expected with the money available.
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculo View Post

"The strategy backfired because the lawsuit focused on the narrow issue of permits for non-residents, and blew up into an expansive ruling limiting gun rights. The ruling is a precedent in all federal courts."

"We conclude that carrying a concealed weapon is not a privilege or immunity protected under Article IV [of the constitution],” the court ruled. “Given that the concealed carrying of firearms has not been recognized as a right … we cannot declare this activity sufficiently basic to the livelihood of the Nation.”

It is often not the fault of the lawyers or their arguments when a case ends up not only being unsuccessful but even more damaging like Peterson. There are far too many "judicial activists" on the bench who are just looking for any excuse to legislate their favorite causes.

You can't take a single case that went horribly wrong and view it as the fault of the legal team unless you can clearly demonstrate that they picked a horrible plaintiff, argued an indefensible theory or otherwise personally botched the job. Look at how Alan Gura typically loses at EVERY stage except the Supremes. There are a lot of judges who aren't even looking at the law, the facts or the arguments to make their ruling.
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 09-05-2013, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-NewYawker View Post
You got a problem? VOTE! That's the only way to take the State back.
Seriously? Man, that's sad.

Vote, call, city hall & community meetings, volunteer, e'mail, etc. Not working out for us so far, is it? We are so outnumbered in this state; and the leftists know it. They don't care what we think.

If we want this state back we're going to have to take it back. Period. The tea needs to go into the bay.
Old 09-05-2013, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We Need a TROLL smilie
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 09-05-2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
We Need a TROLL smilie
Like this one?

Seriously, I thought this thread was about candy with logos on them????

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Old 09-05-2013, 4:07 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
Perhaps some of you remember me a while back I posted about how you guys who donated to Calguns Foundation and its lawyers were all just suckers. I am here to gloat and say I Told You So. I told you those guys never did anything for improving the 2A in CA and never would. Now here we are on the brink of a major @$$ whupping with the Appropriations, and I don't see those guys who collected your money anywhere in sight telling you to not fear and that they'd do something about it. Where are they now? They knew all along they couldn't do jack squat but did they tell you to stop donating money to a lost cause? Nope.

How much money did they get off you suckers in the last 5 years? $$Millions?? They predicted 2A rights would start improving real soon and here we are losing more and more by the minute. Do you even feel cheated at all? I know I would.

Listen, I think Calguns is cool and all to talk about guns, learn about guns, the marketplace and other stuff. But this whole donating thing to some crook lawyers who gave you all false hope is some serious bullspit.

At first I bought into the bullspit too. I had high hopes when I first joined this forum, was told to get ready for major changes. And that Shall Issue CCW was just over the horizon. Oh don't tell me there's CCW in Sacramento, because if it's not for all of CA then it means nothing to me.

Over time I realized what bullspit this falsely given hope was. I'm usually not one to be easily duped so perhaps that's why I feel so strongly about this issue. But for you guys that actually threw away money due to some false propaganda? Ouch.

So in closing, I'd just like to poll what you guys that actually donated money think about it now? Do you see the light and agree with me? Or will you continue to listen to the crook lawyers that now is not the time to give up and they need more funds? How do you feel about how much difference your donations made now with the Appropriations @$$ whupping?
Wow. Yee's staff is working overtime trying to undermine California 2A.
Old 09-05-2013, 4:20 PM

Did the olde Squidmeister stir up a shizz storm or what? Do ya suppose that's exacgtly what he intended and is sitting back reading the lengthy thread with a big smile on his mug? Just sayin'.....
Old 09-05-2013, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculo View Post

Could someone please explain to me how "The ruling is a precedent in all federal courts."?

I was not aware that a circuit court ruling is precedential in all federal courts. If they are correct that it is, then I'm obviously not a lawyer (and I'm not a lawyer).

But if they are wrong about a circuit court ruling being precedential in all federal courts - then they might not be such a credible source of legal analysis.
Old 09-05-2013, 5:10 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Could someone please explain to me how "The ruling is a precedent in all federal courts."?

I was not aware that a circuit court ruling is precedential in all federal courts. If they are correct that it is, then I'm obviously not a lawyer (and I'm not a lawyer).

But if they are wrong about a circuit court ruling being precedential in all federal courts - then they might not be such a credible source of legal analysis.
There is a minor semantic issue here. There are two kinds of authority that are referred to as "precedent". Often precedent means "mandatory authority" (binding). It can also mean "persuasive authority" (not binding). Circuit court opinions are mandatory authority for federal courts in the same circuit. They are persuasive authority in all other federal courts (including SCOTUS). Persuasive authority is still citable and often followed (particularly absent mandatory authority from the same circuit), however courts can and do deviate from it, unlike mandatory authority which must be followed unless the case can be distinguished (which it almost always can if the court doesn't want to follow the "mandatory authority").
My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.
Old 09-05-2013, 6:19 PM

Do we expect the 9th to use Gray's ruling if it helps them promulgate gun control?

Do we expect the 9th to ignore other precedent if it helps them promulgate gun control?
We can help with loans and refi's. 10% of all commissions will be donated to CG.

Serving the greater San Diego area.

Aaron Ross - BRE #01865640
CA Broker
Old 09-05-2013, 7:39 PM
Banned

Calgun's has put us in such a better position than we would be in w/o them that it can't be measured. It can't be all things to all people, but they do a great job on behalf of members. They can't do it all. All members should be talking to friends, relatives and others on a regular basis in support of our beliefs, so that Calgun's only reinforces our position. It can't start and stop with them. It has to start with us, and they are just one of the wheels that turn the drive for all 2nd amd supporters. There are a lot of wheels out there that just need some turning and we have to exercise our efforts in those areas every day, not just during congressional sessions. We'll see what happens soon, and then redouble our resolve and efforts. The truth is, "We are Calguns", because w/o us, it wouldn't exist. To sit by and do nothing, and to let our true beliefs be overrun is tantamount to rolling over and playing dead. You can do that if you want to, but I'll never call you a friend.
Old 09-05-2013, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

**** YOU OP!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 7:42 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveca View Post
Calgun's has put us in such a better position than we would be in w/o them that it can't be measured. It can't be all things to all people, but they do a great job on behalf of members. They can't do it all. All members should be talking to friends, relatives and others on a regular basis in support of our beliefs, so that Calgun's only reinforces our position. It can't start and stop with them. It has to start with us, and they are just one of the wheels that turn the drive for all 2nd amd supporters. There are a lot of wheels out there that just need some turning and we have to exercise our efforts in those areas every day, not just during congressional sessions. We'll see what happens soon, and then redouble our resolve and efforts. The truth is, "We are Calguns", because w/o us, it wouldn't exist. To sit by and do nothing, and to let our true beliefs be overrun is tantamount to rolling over and playing dead. You can do that if you want to, but I'll never call you a friend.

The Calguns Foundation does not have members. Are you referring to Calguns.net?
My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.
Old 09-05-2013, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincon View Post
There is a minor semantic issue here. There are two kinds of authority that are referred to as "precedent". Often precedent means "mandatory authority" (binding). It can also mean "persuasive authority" (not binding). Circuit court opinions are mandatory authority for federal courts in the same circuit. They are persuasive authority in all other federal courts (including SCOTUS). Persuasive authority is still citable and often followed (particularly absent mandatory authority from the same circuit), however courts can and do deviate from it, unlike mandatory authority which must be followed unless the case can be distinguished (which it almost always can if the court doesn't want to follow the "mandatory authority").
This is completely correct in a theoretical sense.

In the real world, however, there is no such thing as "mandatory authority".

Want proof? Then look at Osterweil v Bartlett, and tell me how the district court managed to rule as it did despite Heller, even though Heller is "binding authority".

No, in the real world, courts can and will rule as they please, "mandatory authority" be damned.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Your oath to uphold the Constitution is a joke unless you refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.

I hope I end up having to donate another $1000 to CGF... However, this $500 is one I hope to not have to donate...
Old 09-05-2013, 8:33 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
This is completely correct in a theoretical sense.

In the real world, however, there is no such thing as "mandatory authority".

Want proof? Then look at Osterweil v Bartlett, and tell me how the district court managed to rule as it did despite Heller, even though Heller is "binding authority".

No, in the real world, courts can and will rule as they please, "mandatory authority" be damned.
Quote:
mandatory authority which must be followed unless the case can be distinguished (which it almost always can if the court doesn't want to follow the "mandatory authority").

The veracity of your supposition has no bearing on the question posed by OleCuss. We all know you think the courts do whatever they please and that nothing argued nor any prior law makes any bit of difference.
Old 09-05-2013, 8:39 PM

-10/10 fail attempt at rustling jimmies.

Old 09-05-2013, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

The veracity of your supposition has no bearing on the question posed by OleCuss. We all know you think the courts do whatever they please and that nothing argued nor any prior law makes any bit of difference.
Absolutely correct!

However, what matters is not what I think, but rather what happens in the real world. And what happens in the real world appears to be, in this case, precisely what I think based on the evidence at hand.

My message was not intended to illustrate that your answer is in any way incomplete as regards OleCuss' question, only to show that only as regards the real world, it's woefully incomplete (except for the notable exception you included, that I somehow missed. Sorry about that! ). And that's not a criticism of your answer in the slightest, precisely because you were answering a specific question (and you answered it quite well, I might add). My comment was meant more for those in the wider audience that might set their expectations based on the meat of your answer, and be gravely disappointed by what they actually find in the real world.

Methinks we're a lot more in agreement than some might think...
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Your oath to uphold the Constitution is a joke unless you refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

I hope I end up having to donate another $1000 to CGF... However, this $500 is one I hope to not have to donate...

Last edited by kcbrown; 09-05-2013 at 8:46 PM..
Old 09-05-2013, 8:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkincal View Post
Like this one?

Seriously, I thought this thread was about candy with logos on them????
Thanks
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 09-05-2013, 9:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

So your point is that you know nothing, can do nothing, and really support nothing!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 9:25 PM
Banned

That sets the posture for lost souls.
Old 09-05-2013, 9:27 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveca View Post
So your point is that you know nothing, can do nothing, and really support nothing!!!
Quite the opposite. Try reading that exchange a few more times and see if you have any better luck understanding it.
Old 09-05-2013, 9:30 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
My message was not intended to illustrate that your answer is in any way incomplete as regards OleCuss' question, only to show that only as regards the real world, it's woefully incomplete (except for the notable exception you included, that I somehow missed. Sorry about that! ). And that's not a criticism of your answer in the slightest, precisely because you were answering a specific question (and you answered it quite well, I might add). My comment was meant more for those in the wider audience that might set their expectations based on the meat of your answer, and be gravely disappointed by what they actually find in the real world.

Methinks we're a lot more in agreement than some might think...
Fair enough, but it is my opinion (and only just an opinion) that good lawyering can and does change the law for the better (or worse). Such lawyering uses the existing law to establish a position and apply it to the facts. Certainly though I would never say something as crazy as Judges always follow what (I think) the law clearly is.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 PM

Seven pages for a troll thread?
There is no week nor day nor hour, when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their supreme confidence in themselves -- and lose their roughness and spirit of defiance -- Tyranny may always enter -- there is no charm, no bar against it -- the only bar against it is a large resolute breed of men.

-Walt Whitman
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Maybe OP should have read this

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/our-work/
Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Calguns Addict

this thread is still open?????

Old 09-06-2013, 1:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Fair enough, but it is my opinion (and only just an opinion) that good lawyering can and does change the law for the better (or worse). Such lawyering uses the existing law to establish a position and apply it to the facts. Certainly though I would never say something as crazy as Judges always follow what (I think) the law clearly is.
I agree with you on this. It's important to know the conditions under which it applies. My best guess (based on thinking it through logically) is that those conditions are:

• the judge in question has no strong opinion on or about the subject at hand or (in very rare cases) is capable of and willing to ignore his own opinion and go where the arguments, jurisprudence, and proper historical understanding of the relevant historical law lead,
  • the judge in question is good at following a strong logical argument, and
  • the judge in question is relatively unswayed by his personal opinions and/or relationships with the players involved.

Fail any one of them, and the quality of lawyering will have no effect on the instant outcome, only on the stated reason for that outcome, something that can affect the eventual outcome through appeal (but note that the above conditions apply just as well to every level in the appeals hierarchy).

Even in the worst of cases, good lawyering is a must. It's necessary because it will determine the lengths the court must go to in order to reach the wrong conclusion. Bad lawyering is basically the equivalent of giving away the case to the other side, because it is more likely to give the court a legitimate reason to rule unfavorably.

Finally, there's always the chance (however slight it may be) that the court one is faced with is one that meets the conditions previously outlined. In that case, bad lawyering may cause the case to be lost when it otherwise would be won. To, in essence, snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But that is no guarantee of defeat, either, for a court that is properly reviewing the laws and the arguments can easily reach the proper conclusions on its own. For nothing (that I'm aware of) prevents the court from using proper logic when none is supplied. It is, after all, tasked with reviewing the issue, and it is (as far as I know) certainly capable of doing its own research if it chooses to.

The mistake is not in believing that good lawyering makes a difference -- it surely does. No, the mistake (which you may not be making, but which others certainly have) is in believing that good lawyering is sufficient or that it makes a substantial difference when the issue at hand is one, such as that of RKBA, for which there is almost certainly bias on the court due to the very nature of the issue.

Last edited by kcbrown; 09-06-2013 at 1:18 AM..
Old 09-06-2013, 1:39 AM

OP, you are wrong about everything and a coward. Don't ever post your absurd opinion on any internet forum ever again.
Old 09-06-2013, 2:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reading through this thread makes me want to go shooting and eat lots of pizza. In no particular order.........
Old 09-06-2013, 6:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The Calguns Foundation does not have members. . . .
I don't think you are correct on that.

IIRC, if you donate to Calguns Foundation you are considered a "member". You may not have any sort of vote or say in what they do in the future, but I believe you are considered a "member" for legal purposes.
Old 09-06-2013, 6:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrix View Post
Seven pages for a troll thread?
Its just here to help boost post counts for those with low self-esteem and post-count envy.

Justice Consuelo María "Connie" Callahan, Judge, 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Presiding
PERUTA V. COUNTY OF SAN DIEGO
Hear history being made here... Listen at 28:31
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...6/10-56971.wma
HIRING: Part Time Estate Sale Helper - Orange County
Old 09-06-2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
It is often not the fault of the lawyers or their arguments when a case ends up not only being unsuccessful but even more damaging like Peterson. There are far too many "judicial activists" on the bench who are just looking for any excuse to legislate their favorite causes.

You can't take a single case that went horribly wrong and view it as the fault of the legal team unless you can clearly demonstrate that they picked a horrible plaintiff, argued an indefensible theory or otherwise personally botched the job. Look at how Alan Gura typically loses at EVERY stage except the Supremes. There are a lot of judges who aren't even looking at the law, the facts or the arguments to make their ruling.
The Peterson/CalGuns bunch deliberately withheld certain arguments from the court because they didn't like the direction that those arguments could offer relief or lead the court's opinion.

Specifically, they deliberately withheld any opportunity for the court to consider allowing open carry in Denver, because plaintiffs didn't care about open carry. They wanted concealed carry only, and they really thought they could get away with playing cute with a Federal Appellate Court.

That arrogant strategy backfired horribly, and we all have to deal with Gray's abject failure being cited by every opposing counsel and hostile court in a gun rights case.

Flyonthewall is exactly right. Gray Peterson is the face of failure, and that deliberately sabotaged Gray/CalGuns case is going to do so much permanent damage to gun rights.

This thread caught my eye solely because it was titled "Calguns Suckers." Calguns really stepped in it with that case, but Gray was all over the gun forums prior to his defeat, strutting like a peacock, dead sure he had it all figured out, confident he was going to win.

I haven't checked in a while, so I don't know if he's still up to his old tricks. If funding Calguns means more funding of Gray Peterson-type cases, keep your money in your wallets, folks.
Old 09-06-2013, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrass View Post
The Peterson/CalGuns bunch deliberately withheld certain arguments from the court because they didn't like the direction that those arguments could offer relief or lead the court's opinion.

Specifically, they deliberately withheld any opportunity for the court to consider allowing open carry in Denver, because plaintiffs didn't care about open carry. They wanted concealed carry only, and they really thought they could get away with playing cute with a Federal Appellate Court.

That arrogant strategy backfired horribly, and we all have to deal with Gray's abject failure being cited by every opposing counsel and hostile court in a gun rights case.
This is true as far as it goes.

However, open carry remains on the table.

In what way could simultaneously challenging the open carry ban possibly have yielded a better result than the one we might get with further litigation? On the other hand, doing so could easily have yielded an even worse result (public carry itself being declared not-a-right).

If plaintiffs would have won the challenge against the open carry ban, the court would still have had to address the challenge to the concealed carry ban, and would thus have ruled in exactly the same way and thus would have given opposing counsel and hostile courts exactly the same citable precedent.

The only difference would be that we'd either have open carry declared as a right, or we would have open carry also declared as not-a-right.

Now you tell me: which of the two approaches, the one that was taken, or the one you favor, presents greater risk to RKBA? Remember that in the case of the approach you favor:

• The best outcome is, given what we know of how the 10th Circuit "thinks", no better than what we may currently have.
  • The worst outcome (a declaration that there is no right to carry in public at all) is much worse than what we currently have.
  • A simultaneous challenge to the open carry ban would, of necessity, complicate the case even more than it already was, in a situation where clarity is paramount, thus reducing the chance of a win.

What we have now is a situation in which the open carry ban could be challenged directly and with directly citable precedence that can yield only one of two conclusions: open carry is protected by the 2nd Amendment, or there is no right to carry in public at all.

While I agree that a simultaneous challenge to the open carry ban would have been a more comprehensive approach, it is also a more risky approach. And had that approach failed, you would be sitting here with even more vitriol than you do. The more interesting question is what your opinion would be if the case had won on the basis of open carry but also yielded a declaration that concealed carry is not-a-right.

Last edited by kcbrown; 09-06-2013 at 10:11 PM..
Old 09-06-2013, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

OK, look.

It may be fun to bash CGF and all, but I think something is being missed.

CGF if actually a very effective organization at the day-to-day tactical level. They have benefited individuals and cities up and down the state. They have ensured that thousands have Personal Defense Weapons who would otherwise never have them.

CGF is undoubtedly, IMHO, a force for good in this state at this kind of tactical level.

I'm unconvinced that CGF and its preferred lawyers and the relevant strategic lawsuits are (or will be) effective. At this time the NRA/Chuck Michel association seems to be more effective at this level.

Chuck Michel and his associates also represent a lot of folk that we likely never hear about - but I don't hear about them so I don't know how effective they are at the low-level day-to-day stuff which is so important to so many.

Anyway, I think it is healthy to always question the viability of an organization and approaches to problems.

But to deprecate CGF in general because its strategic lawsuits have so far not been very successful is to give them short-shrift.

CGF has done a lot of good in this state. And it is done by folk who have generally not been compensated for their efforts.

I'm grateful to CGF for their great contributions to the citizenry of this state. Not sure I want them doing strategic litigation, but I'm not sufficiently legally sophisticated to know whether they should.