Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-03-2013, 4:38 AM

Then, what did transpire at the "meeting?" How is it that some seem to think there was some collusion and back-door deals taking place? I doubt people are making this stuff up. I'd love to hear the recordings or read the transcripts from this "meeting." After all, they should be public record.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:02 PM

I received the following email:
===================

Subject: AB 711

Need to talk with you or Paul about this when you get a chance. Thanks.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=816421

Mark Hennelly
Vice President, Legislative Affairs and Public Policy
California Waterfowl
(916) 648-1406 ext 105
mhennelly@calwaterfowl.org

1346 Blue Oaks Blvd.
Roseville, CA 95678
fax (916) 648-1665
Visit us on the web at www.calwaterfowl.org!

==========================

Dave and I just called Mr. Hennelly and he asked, "I would like you to clarify what happened at the meeting."

I responded, "As you know, I wasn't there. In fact, nobody from the NRA was permitted to attend that meeting."

As the discussion progressed, I asked Mr. Hennelly to send me CWA's letter of opposition to AB711 so that I could circulate it for him. He informed me that CWA is not in opposition to AB711 because he believes that "lead bans have saved over 1,000,000 birds since lead shot was banned federally."

I explained that lead shot and migratory birds is an entirely different issue than the hunting restrictions proposed in AB711.

We asked for "CWA to reconsider their position and join in solidarity with the other hunters and sportsmen in opposition to AB711." Unfortunately, Mr. Hennelly declined and said that CWA will continue to have a NEUTRAL POSITION on AB711.

I was asked no less than three times, by Mr. Hennelly, to explain the events the occurred during last week's meeting. Unfortunately, I wasn't there so I cannot do so. So, I am simply reporting on the discussion on the phone.

Paul

H. Paul Payne
NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President
NRA Members' Councils Program Administrator
(951) 683-4NRA Office nrausmc@earthlink.net Email
http://www.calnra.com California NRA Web Site ----- CLICK HERE to
Join NRA's California Team of Volunteers

Proud to be an NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 PM

Unreal....as a duck hunter I am appalled. I have lost total respect for CWA....looks like D.U. will be the only one that gets my attention and money.
Old 09-03-2013, 2:35 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Unreal....as a duck hunter I am appalled. I have lost total respect for CWA....looks like D.U. will be the only one that gets my attention and money.
DU also has historically embraced a position of non-action on firearms/ammunition issues.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 09-03-2013, 3:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
DU also has historically embraced a position of non-action on firearms/ammunition issues.

Until the Rulers get around to banning shotguns. Back stabbing scum.
Old 09-03-2013, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I don't know much about DU, and AFAIK they weren't part of this discussion. But http://www.ducks.org/california/duck...embly-bill-711 shows that they are engaged in opposition to AB711.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 09-03-2013, 4:24 PM

Default PLEASE GET THIS STRAIGHT!

There has been a lot of discussion throughout California about this issue. I know that I have spoken with a lot of people and my phone continues to ring.

But MY problem is very simple. I am determined to make it very clear and for everyone to be DARNED CERTAIN that the NRA did NOT participate in any level of so-called "sellout on AB711" nor did we participate in a meeting ("secret" or otherwise) regarding doing so. This is my intention and I will not stop until EVERYONE realizes this as FACT!

The other information that has come out, and the positions of groups other than the NRA has been quite interesting and is most certainly of interest to California's hunters, shooters, gun owners, sportsmen, etc. And yes, they are talking about it.

And when there is legislation that is of such critical importance that it could, and possibly would, change the shooting sports and firearms ownership issue forever, I believe it is good to know where each and every advocacy group stands regarding it. But this is just my personal opinion. You might not agree with me --- and that's alright. It's just MY opinion.

But don't attack me for something that I (or the NRA) didn't do.

IF any group has a position, they can write a letter to the legislature on their position. This becomes a public document and everyone can see it. Agree or disagree, that is your (and everyone's) right. If a group is thought to have changed their position, but (as we have seen in this discussion) has not done so, then I think that all they have to do is update their existing opposition letter and show the world where they really stand.

Updating a group's opposition letter, especially after a bill has been amended, is not at all unheard of in the Capitol. In fact, it happens frequently.

That is why I have suggested, to every group I have spoken with on this subject, that they let their letters of opposition to AB711 speak for themselves. And if anyone doubts their positions AFTER the most recent version of the letter (post amendments) too bad.

I believe that we must show unity in the gun owning/hunting/sportsmen/collecting/etc. community and it does no harm to put our organization's position on legislation on public view, especially to our who we represent.

BTW, In case you were in a cave or don't read a lot, THE NRA IS IN STRONG OPPOSITION TO AB711.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 09-03-2013, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder2burn View Post
Oldest trick in the book, DIVIDE AND CONQUER. Useful idiots are helping the enemy. A pox on their house.
Same thing happened during the 94 assault weapons ban as well. These "feel good" gun groups should STFU and stay out of it. It only hurts the cause.
Old 09-03-2013, 4:47 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Paul Payne View Post
I don't know much about DU, and AFAIK they weren't part of this discussion. But http://www.ducks.org/california/duck...embly-bill-711 shows that they are engaged in opposition to AB711.

Paul
Thanks for that link. It does indicate a departure from their past position.

http://www.ducks.org/conservation/st...nt-john-newman

Note that the "recreational shooters" (and their $$$) item was added within the past year.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 09-03-2013, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the clarification, Paul.

Let us know if we need to follow-up with any of our respective groups...

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo
Old 09-03-2013, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post

I'm not urging people to contact any groups at all. However, I am still a little sensitive regarding those people who attacked me/NRA for something we didn't do.

It is this sensitivity that inspires me to try to set the record straight when someone says something about a group that might not be correct. That is why I strive to tell the facts. Why else would I report that I've had a conversation with this person/group or that?

I am going for full disclosure because that is spirit of this entire thread and the reason that I started it. FULL DISCLOSURE = TRUTH.

I still say that if those groups who have informed me that they are, and have been, in opposition to AB711 would simply issue an updated opposition letter, there would be no excuse for anyone to call them into doubt.

Those of us who have accepted their statements as factual realize that they shouldn't have to issue an updated letter. But if I were them, I wouldn't want the doubt hanging over my head in this tough situation when the solution is so easy to grasp.

In fact, when I was accused, I immediately chose to counter-attack with the truth, instead of letting unfounded accusations grow and spread. But that's my choice. I think it worked for me, because I don't know many people who are falsely claiming that NRA was even involved in that meeting any more. Much less blaming us for it.

I'm sorry that we (hunters, sportsmen, gun owners, etc.) have let ourselves become split and thereby weakened. But these things happen. My wish is that all the groups would proudly wave their opposition letters and stand united against the ridiculous assertion that traditional lead ammunition is poisoning us or our wildlife.

NO. Whatever "follow-up" we choose to do must come from our own hearts and heads. Not from someone like me urging each-other to apply pressure among our own groups. It doesn't mean as much if we organize against our own folks and we shouldn't do it.

Whatever we do, we should stand together and stand strong.

Paul

H. Paul Payne

Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The other information that has come out, and the positions of groups other than the NRA has been quite interesting and is most certainly of interest to California's hunters, shooters, gun owners, sportsmen, etc. And yes, they are talking about it.

And when there is legislation that is of such critical importance that it could, and possibly would, change the shooting sports and firearms ownership issue forever, I believe it is good to know where each and every advocacy group stands regarding it. But this is just my personal opinion. You might not agree with me --- and that's alright. It's just MY opinion.

But don't attack me for something that I (or the NRA) didn't do.

IF any group has a position, they can write a letter to the legislature on their position. This becomes a public document and everyone can see it. Agree or disagree, that is your (and everyone's) right. If a group is thought to have changed their position, but (as we have seen in this discussion) has not done so, then I think that all they have to do is update their existing opposition letter and show the world where they really stand.

Updating a group's opposition letter, especially after a bill has been amended, is not at all unheard of in the Capitol. In fact, it happens frequently.

That is why I have suggested, to every group I have spoken with on this subject, that they let their letters of opposition to AB711 speak for themselves. And if anyone doubts their positions AFTER the most recent version of the letter (post amendments) too bad.

I believe that we must show unity in the gun owning/hunting/sportsmen/collecting/etc. community and it does no harm to put our organization's position on legislation on public view, especially to our who we represent.

BTW, In case you were in a cave or don't read a lot, THE NRA IS IN STRONG OPPOSITION TO AB711.

Paul
An honorable enemy can be respected; a traitor only loathed.
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM

I just sent in an email requesting the cancellation of my CWA membership. I do not wish to be associated with an organization that is willing to forsake its hunting brothers and sisters.
Old 09-04-2013, 6:22 AM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I am requesting people start contacting this traitorous organization.
CGSSA alerts put up on on Facebook through our partners "Californians opposing gun restrictions" and eventually our own facebook sites

CGSSA alerts have been sent to several thousand action minded Californians and I will be asking our Cal GRAA partners to spread the word as well.

Quote:
I'm not urging people to contact any groups at all. However, I am still a little sensitive regarding those people who attacked me/NRA for something we didn't do.

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 09-04-2013, 3:23 PM
In Memoriam

This from the CRPA:

Quote:
Dear CRPA Member,

Over the holiday weekend there was some confusion and misinformation about where CRPA’s affiliates stand on AB 711 (The Lead Ammo Bill). For the record, nothing has changed, nor did it ever… The CRPA and its affiliates, including: the California Deer Association, the California Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, and the California Youth Shooting Sports Association are in complete unity concerning our comprehensive opposition to AB 711.
Old 09-04-2013, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger View Post
Might want to check the grammar in that image.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 09-04-2013, 6:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger View Post
This from the CRPA:
Quote:
Dear CRPA Member,

Over the holiday weekend there was some confusion and misinformation about where CRPA’s affiliates stand on AB 711 (The Lead Ammo Bill). For the record, nothing has changed, nor did it ever… The CRPA and its affiliates, including: the California Deer Association, the California Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, and the California Youth Shooting Sports Association are in complete unity concerning our comprehensive opposition to AB 711.
There's that word "comprehensive" again.

Kinda makes me question their sincerity.

Old 09-04-2013, 6:18 PM

There has been a very vigorous discussion on this subject on a duck hunting forum.
CWA has made a couple posts there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWA on 9/3/2013
I attended the meeting last week on August 28 between the Department of Fish and Wildlife Director and several local leaders of California conservation organizations that are actively involved in the management and regulation setting of hunting for waterfowl, upland game, and big game in California.

Last spring DFW Director Chuck Bonham reached out and invited these groups to meet with him in the hopes of starting a productive issues-based and task-oriented dialogue. The purpose of this meeting was merely to continue the discussions started back in march.

I applaud Bonham for reaching out in this manner to these hunting conservation groups. This director is making a specific and conscious effort to create and maintain a dialogue with hunters.

The agenda for these meetings includes round table discussions on ways that the DFW and the groups can work together more productively and proactively. The working agenda for the meeting on August 28 was:

- Status of the Big Game Dedicated Account (BGDA) projects and grant solicitation process and web page
- Update on big game management plans
- Land Trusts
- State Wildlife Action Plan

At the beginning of the meeting Director Bonham revealed to the group that he had written a letter to the bill’s author supporting AB 711 if certain amendments were made. He wanted to discuss his reasons for sending the letter with the group.

He DID NOT ask or pressure the group for support letters or testimony for the department's position.

After that discussion we moved on to the agenda listed above.

In addition, Jim Waters has been identified in some posts as participating as a CWA representative at these meetings. Jim left our Board of Directors over a year and a half ago and no longer represents us although he does still work tirelessly for the rights of hunters in California.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

John Carlson, Jr.
President, California Waterfowl
jcarlson@calwaterfowl.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWA on 9/4/2013
We wanted to let you know that California Waterfowl is not ignoring this discussion. For the record, we have never supported the lead ban, and we have not taken a position on this bill. But we are listening to what you are saying here and we are having internal discussions about the matter.

They are feeling the heat.
Old 09-04-2013, 6:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My question is "Why are they even discussing it?"

The response should be "We are not supporting AB711...period."

Old 09-04-2013, 6:28 PM

Quote:
My question is "Why are they even discussing it?"

The response should be "We are not supporting AB711...period."
^^^THIS. Don't need any "issues-based and task-oriented dialogue" jibber-jabber. OPPOSED. End of story.

Twitter: @Bolillo_SCZ
Old 09-04-2013, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Dear CRPA Member,

Notice how they didn't mention CWA.
Old 09-04-2013, 8:42 PM
CGN Contributor

^^^I noticed it as well (CWA being left off). Truly the pen is mightier than the sword (and gun) if AB711 passes.
Old 09-04-2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmotorsports View Post
I just sent in an email requesting the cancellation of my CWA membership. I do not wish to be associated with an organization that is willing to forsake its hunting brothers and sisters.
A very good decision!
Old 09-05-2013, 7:32 AM
CGN Contributor

RE: AB711 being decided by Senator Galgiani AD5. Any Calguners who live in the following Counties/Cities have a bigger voice than anybody else as they are a direct constituent of Senator Galgiani and she will actually pay attention because the only thing that really matters to any elected official is getting re-elected. I don't know if she will be termed out soon, but I do know she will listen to her constituents. We should all contact her as urgently requested by NRA regarding this specific bill TODAY (Thursday 9/5/13), but those in these cities REALLY need to. Not doing so is actually irresponsible. Senate District 5 (major areas only listed)

Galt
Wiidbridge
Lockeford
Stockton
Farmington
Lathrop
Manteca
Riverbank
Salida
Modesto
Tracy

Here is a link to her district map: http://sdmg.senate.ca.gov/sites/sdmg.../a2011_SD5.pdf

Here is a link to the CAL-ERT: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/C...id=eCR9gUvPjfo
You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you're going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray they get there in time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU4X5LujXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ExC7fE1LaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhKCiY-lu0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3vWsa4ags
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p63UWAhpviI
Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I sent my signed FAX to Senator Galgiani a few minutes ago.

I hope you all will do so as well.
Here is her contact info:
Honorable Senator Cathleen Galgiani :
State Capitol
Room 4082
Sacramento, CA 95814
Tel: (916) 651-4005
Fax: (916) 651-4905
Old 09-05-2013, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I sent my signed FAX to Senator Block(as well) a few minutes ago.

I hope you all will do so as well.

Here is his contact info:
Honorable Senator Marty Block
State Capitol, Room 4090
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 651-4039
Fax: (916) 327-2188
Old 09-05-2013, 11:25 AM

This just in From CWA President John Carlson Jr.:

CWA Position on AB 711

Protecting our hunting heritage is an important part of California Waterfowl’s mission – we have worked tirelessly to defeat or neutralize several bills affecting gun rights and use this year, as well as fighting to preserve water for managed wetlands and surrogate wetlands in the rice.

For the record, CWA has NEVER supported AB 711, or any of the other non-lead ammunition bills that have been considered by the Legislature.

We agree that the science does not support extending the ban to all hunting statewide and are sending letters of opposition to the Governor and legislature regarding AB 711.

John Carlson, Jr.

President

California Waterfowl Association

jcarlson@calwaterfowl.org
Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM

One question, Carlson says opposition, Hennelly said no opposition. What one is it?
Old 09-05-2013, 1:08 PM
Head Janitor

Not to sound too skeptical but I'd like to see where that letter is posted publicly, is there a link?
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 09-05-2013, 1:31 PM
CGSSA President

I agree. In the face of the mounting evidence that this "Back ALLEY Dealing" took place, to me this smacks of collusion or bonafide ignorance. Either of which isn't cool for our NRA State Affiliate.

Quote:
There's that word "comprehensive" again.

Kinda makes me question their sincerity.
Quote:
Dear CRPA Member,

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”

Last edited by pennys dad; 09-05-2013 at 1:44 PM..
Old 09-05-2013, 1:37 PM

Posted by the president himself.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/s...d.php?t=950541
Old 09-05-2013, 2:03 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_dog View Post
Thank you, that was what I was hoping to see.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 09-05-2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Dammmm, I wish I never read that link

I was under the impression that all hunters were very pro-2A and opposed any attempts to water that down. But all I saw in that thread was mostly Elmer Fuds defending the guy (Hennelly) who is a Benedict Arnold of the gun world. These were probably the same "duck hunters" that supported the assault weapons ban.

Notice how when one member brought up the "grant money" question, everyone tried to change the subject. I guess in the end, they needed membership $$ more than DFW grant money.

Its obvious that only the more liberal hunting organizations were invited to this little meeting. If your group was not invited to this secret meeting, then you probably belong to an organization that is always on the right side of things -and they knew they couldn't get them to sell-out for gov $$$ (like CWF was planning to do).

The saddest part of the deal for me is the realization that HUNTERS actually supported this and are defending the guy who took that position
Old 09-05-2013, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Dammmm, I wish I never read that link

I was under the impression that all hunters were very pro-2A and opposed any attempts to water that down. But all I saw in that thread was mostly Elmer Fuds defending the guy (Hennelly) who is a Benedict Arnold of the gun world. These were probably the same "duck hunters" that supported the assault weapons ban.

Notice how when one member brought up the "grant money" question, everyone tried to change the subject. I guess in the end, they needed membership $$ more than DFW grant money.

Its obvious that only the more liberal hunting organizations were invited to this little meeting. If your group was not invited to this secret meeting, then you probably belong to an organization that is always on the right side of things -and they knew they couldn't get them to sell-out for gov $$$ (like CWF was planning to do).

The saddest part of the deal for me is the realization that HUNTERS actually supported this and are defending the guy who took that position
Them are some strong accusations you are throwing around there buddy.
Old 09-05-2013, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Them are some strong accusations you are throwing around there buddy.
Only overshadowed by the fact that they are not being refuted.....
Old 09-05-2013, 2:50 PM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennys dad View Post
I agree. In the face of the mounting evidence that this "Back ALLEY Dealing" took place, to me this smacks of collusion or bonafide ignorance. Either of which isn't cool for our NRA State Affiliate.
BS. Conversely there is mounting evidence that nothing untoward took place, this from multiple people that actually attended. All of the groups involved have publicly stated they remain opposed to AB711. What really seems to have happened is that some person completely lacking in character and moral fiber started a nasty rumor, and some other people, yourself included, acted liked gossipy teenage girls and repeated it to everyone they could.
My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.
Old 09-05-2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:

The saddest part of the deal for me is the realization that SOME HUNTERS actually supported this and are defending the guy who took that position
Fixed it for ya
Old 09-05-2013, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Only overshadowed by the fact that they are not being refuted.....
This duck hunter and every one of them that I know personally on that forum did not vote for an assault weapons ban.

You coming on here bashing duck hunters is not helping any cause other than the one we are fighting against.
Old 09-05-2013, 3:22 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincon View Post
BS. Conversely there is mounting evidence that nothing untoward took place, this from multiple people that actually attended. All of the groups involved have publicly stated they remain opposed to AB711. What really seems to have happened is that some person completely lacking in character and moral fiber started a nasty rumor, and some other people, yourself included, acted liked gossipy teenage girls and repeated it to everyone they could.
Bullcrap.

CWA said outright they did not oppose AB711.

Are they reversing their position? Yes.
Does that negate history? No.

CRPA had nothing to do with it other than a slow reaction and some rather interesting questions among themselves.
(Yes I am aware of the email asking whether Jim Shea should speak to Wayne..
That's not fixing the problem that's looking fo ways to deflect it and cover it up.)

So since you're so convinced you know what happened please tell me who this person of no character and moral fiber is?
Because I know the source of this rather well and I'm curious who you believe it is and who you are accusing?