Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Default Infographic — Privately Owned Firearms vs. Intentional Death Rates

UPDATE: An updated version of the graphic is shown in post #36. Feel free to check it out. :-)

As a graphic designer I thought it might be a good idea to create an infographic comparing the numbers of privately owned firearms with intentional death rates (suicides and homicides) of a number of countries around the world.

The design work I do doesn't normally involve infographics, but I definitely enjoyed creating this and can hopefully find time to gather more statistics and design some more of these.

I would like some feedback though if you have a moment:

1. How easy or hard was it to figure out what the main chart was saying? Did the chart make sense, especially for those of you that didn't already know these numbers? Or does it make you go, "What on earth are all those symbols, and what on earth do they mean?"

2. Anything you feel I should change? It can be with the info itself, the presentation of the info, or even the overall design of the graphic. If you feel something might work better if it was different, let me know.

3. Any other related stats or statements that you feel I should have included on THIS particular graphic? (Not stuff that would work better on future infographics.)

4. Any ideas on other eye-opening stats/facts that could be used for future infographics? While these will obviously be somewhat pro-gun if you look at them closely, I want them to be something a fence-sitter might read (possibly even an anti-gunner). So no strong rhetoric or overly-used stats/facts that would be dismissed immediately by the close-minded statist folks.

Are you a member?

Last edited by jdouglas; 09-03-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 12:09 PM

I think its great, but graphs like these seem like they have to be quick hitters, if the person looking at it doesnt recognize right away what the numbers are they might move on. I would suggest adding value markers on top of each "bar" to make it quicker to read and compare.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM

Very nice overall. I don't recognize every flag, maybe add a country name line below the flags? It's a little confusing that some of the smaller violent crime stats have a number, and everything else is several skulls. I guess a skull = 5 units? Maybe define that, or better yet, put the number at the top of every column. You might include a link to a page where you compile all the specific data you used rather than just referencing Wikipedia.org, since there may well be conflicting information on many wikipedia pages.
"Most Rights that are accused of being 'created from whole cloth' exist because in fact the Bill of Rights is not limiting. Lack of liberty is statist thuggery.
If you don't like sodomy or abortion, don't do it." -Bill Wiese
Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Are there any countries that have high firearms ownership and high death rates? It would be good to include that. Otherwise it kind of looks like you're cherry picking your examples.

It was easy to read and understand.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:18 PM

It looks good. It is very easy to understand and I like the little facts on the bottom of the chart.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I would label the countries(I for one don't recognize all the flags) and provide a table with the hard numbers, not just the graphs which can be a bit hard to read.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 PM

my only comment is to make all metrics consistent. Use gun homicides per 100K, not per 100. The use of different scales for the data makes the gun homicide numbers read as proportionally much higher and a quick read of the image looks like the US is the gun murder capital of the universe, thereby making the anti-gun argument.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 PM

Also, I'd include other large 1st world countries so it looks more "apples to apples", like Russia.

One thing I'd be curious about is, what would happen if you added a metric for "number of cities over 250K population". It's not specifically gun related, but it is violence related.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM

I would either use symbols or numbers or both--but be consistent. Ideally, use symbols to create the bar, then have a number above the bar. This allows you to remove the scale on the left side for a cleaner presentation.

Also, I would include Russia, China and India--especially considering that many immigrants come from China and India. You could also analyze the relationship between immigration source country and relative violence. in other words--who are the largest population groups who are immigrating here and are they from countries more or less violent than the USA? Might be hard data to find but I think it would tell a story about who to target with pro-2a marketing.

You might consider a different way of sorting. Possibly sort from highest intentional homicide rate to lowest. This way you can show the haphazard relationship more clearly.

Great work, though!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM

Great start.

One thought that I don't see already posted:

Make the USA numbers & bottom line more clear: the USA flag has Mexico / Brazil info underneath it, and while we all know about the large number of weapons in the USA, viewers will want to learn about the other numbers, and how they compare with the other developed nations. Therefore, in the limited space for the USA, don't tell us what everyone knows and is not in dispute (the large number of civilian firearms) tell us the other stats.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 PM

love it. and I like the summary blurbs on the bottom
Old 08-29-2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhyla View Post
Are there any countries that have high firearms ownership and high death rates? It would be good to include that. Otherwise it kind of looks like you're cherry picking your examples.

Because the anti's make sure they include statistics that show high gun ownership and low crime?
Old 08-29-2013, 1:29 PM
Calguns Addict

works great, just used it in a debate to refute a Harvard study.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 08-29-2013, 1:36 PM

Very Nice. Articulates the information without all those pesky numbers that turn people off.
Old 08-29-2013, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
I think its great, but graphs like these seem like they have to be quick hitters, if the person looking at it doesnt recognize right away what the numbers are they might move on. I would suggest adding value markers on top of each "bar" to make it quicker to read and compare.
Good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXR View Post
Very nice overall. I don't recognize every flag, maybe add a country name line below the flags? It's a little confusing that some of the smaller violent crime stats have a number, and everything else is several skulls. I guess a skull = 5 units? Maybe define that, or better yet, put the number at the top of every column. You might include a link to a page where you compile all the specific data you used rather than just referencing Wikipedia.org, since there may well be conflicting information on many wikipedia pages.
You're right, adding country names would be helpful.

As for the skulls, yes each icon represents five units, which is why the numbers that were too small were just shown as decimals.

I'll probably go back in and add the original links to the three wikipedia pages I used as well (one for firearms, one for homicides, and one for suicides).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhyla View Post

Out of the countries with "very high" firearm ownership rates, Uruguay is the only one with more homicides. It isn't by a whole lot either, 4.8 (USA) vs 5.9 (Uruguay) per 100k. Most countries with high firearm ownership are actually very low on the intentional homicide chart, as most of them are European.

That's actually the strength behind the stats: countries with more privately owned firearms are typically much lower on the intentional homicides chart than countries with few privately owned firearms. (If only because countries with privately owned firearms have residents that are better off financially, and thus less likely to commit crimes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcoe View Post
I would label the countries(I for one don't recognize all the flags) and provide a table with the hard numbers, not just the graphs which can be a bit hard to read.
I'll figure out something to make the main graph more readable. (After all, the point of an infographic is to make raw data easier to comprehend.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broofy View Post
my only comment is to make all metrics consistent. Use gun homicides per 100K, not per 100. The use of different scales for the data makes the gun homicide numbers read as proportionally much higher and a quick read of the image looks like the US is the gun murder capital of the universe, thereby making the anti-gun argument.
Hmmm...maybe my graphic isn't very clear, because you read it very wrong. The little pistol icon represents the firearms themselves, not firearm murders.

The red skulls represent homicides of all kinds (which unfortunately includes justified homicides). The blue sad faces represent suicides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broofy View Post
Also, I'd include other large 1st world countries so it looks more "apples to apples", like Russia.

One thing I'd be curious about is, what would happen if you added a metric for "number of cities over 250K population". It's not specifically gun related, but it is violence related.
Russia is right there on the chart. They are fifth from the left.

This will be addressed in the updated version though, as all of the flags will have the name accompanying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post
I would either use symbols or numbers or both--but be consistent. Ideally, use symbols to create the bar, then have a number above the bar. This allows you to remove the scale on the left side for a cleaner presentation.

Also, I would include Russia, China and India--especially considering that many immigrants come from China and India. You could also analyze the relationship between immigration source country and relative violence. in other words--who are the largest population groups who are immigrating here and are they from countries more or less violent than the USA? Might be hard data to find but I think it would tell a story about who to target with pro-2a marketing.

You might consider a different way of sorting. Possibly sort from highest intentional homicide rate to lowest. This way you can show the haphazard relationship more clearly.

Great work, though!
Russia is there already. I'm not sure I'd trust numbers from China (given that they hide so much from their own people). India might work.

I do like your idea of sorting by homicide rate (or perhaps total death rate...possibly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Great start.

One thought that I don't see already posted:

Make the USA numbers & bottom line more clear: the USA flag has Mexico / Brazil info underneath it, and while we all know about the large number of weapons in the USA, viewers will want to learn about the other numbers, and how they compare with the other developed nations. Therefore, in the limited space for the USA, don't tell us what everyone knows and is not in dispute (the large number of civilian firearms) tell us the other stats.
Good idea. I'll come up with some other interesting fact for that spot. ;-)

I have a couple other changes in mind as well. Right now the graphic is in magazine spread format (11 x 17), but I think I might make it a vertical layout to be more scroll/browser friendly.

Are you a member?

Last edited by jdouglas; 08-29-2013 at 1:40 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 2:04 PM

Perfect. Leave the flags they don't need words, they are symbols and it is an infographic.

I really like the last statement on there, it doesn't ram it down your throat but definitely indicates that drug trade and murder rates go hand in hand.

Excellent job.
Old 08-29-2013, 2:10 PM

Default Infographic — Privately Owned Firearms vs. Intentional Death Rates

Maybe someone mentioned this (I skimmed the thread), but it's essential that you specify your data sources on the image. I can use something like this for fence-sitters, but if its not going to be dismissed as propaganda it will need attribution to reliable sources. Go back to the Wikipedia entries and get the referenced primary sources. Double check the data, and use those sources on the graphic, not Wikipedia.
Old 08-29-2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastureofmuppets View Post
Perfect. Leave the flags they don't need words, they are symbols and it is an infographic.

I really like the last statement on there, it doesn't ram it down your throat but definitely indicates that drug trade and murder rates go hand in hand.

Excellent job.
Apparently I do need the names spelled out, because there were two or three people that didn't see Russia. (Maybe they were looking for the old Hammer and Sickle flag.)

Are you a member?
Old 08-29-2013, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
Maybe someone mentioned this (I skimmed the thread), but it's essential that you specify your data sources on the image. I can use something like this for fence-sitters, but if its not going to be dismissed as propaganda it will need attribution to reliable sources. Go back to the Wikipedia entries and get the referenced primary sources. Double check the data, and use those sources on the graphic, not Wikipedia.
I looked at the Wikipedia page for intentional deaths, and the source is the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The original XLS file is downloadable from the unodc.org website: http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-...istics2013.xls

The suicides are originally from the World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...cide_rates/en/

And the firearms per capita is taken from: http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/filea...nnexe-4-EN.pdf

I'll probably add all three links above as my sources.

Are you a member?

Last edited by jdouglas; 08-29-2013 at 2:29 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 2:35 PM

Cool.
Old 08-29-2013, 3:13 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

+1 to using rates per 100K.

I like the distinction between suicide and murders.

But the base information on gun ownership per capita is suspect; nobody really knows those numbers, and frankly I do not trust the reporting from the UN.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-29-2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
+1 to using rates per 100K.

I like the distinction between suicide and murders.

But the base information on gun ownership per capita is suspect; nobody really knows those numbers, and frankly I do not trust the reporting from the UN.
I'm actually not very good with numbers...what do y'all mean when you say to make everything per 100k? Both the suicide and homicide rates are already shown per 100k, and unless I'm missing something (quite possible), it wouldn't make sense to show the number of firearms per 100k. If I did, the number of pistols I'd have to create would increase 100 times, and there wouldn't be enough room left on the graphic to show anything else.

Are you a member?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes, that might be a bit of a problem, since the number of guns in the US is probably about 100K per 100K people. (But nobody really knows for sure - 330K guns for 330K people is a projection from BATF data; their manufacturing import/export data is OK, but their initial estimate is unsourced, and of course their numbers do not include illegally imported guns.)

I looked at the death spreadsheet from the UN; ordinarily UK and several others report deaths/1000, but I see the UN doc does the conversion to /100,000.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM

DON'T use wikipedia as your source. Use wikipedia's sources are your source.

But other than that, good job!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome chart. the little red skull looks like an alien though... perhaps a more conventional skull/crossbones would be more impactful?

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Awesome chart. the little red skull looks like an alien though... perhaps a more conventional skull/crossbones would be more impactful?
Hah, I had someone else tell me that the skull looked like an alien. (To be honest I kinda agree.)

The full skull and crossbones wouldn't show up very well as it would have to be shrunk down considerably to fit the space. But I'll figure out something...

Are you a member?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesmyname View Post
DON'T use wikipedia as your source. Use wikipedia's sources are your source.

But other than that, good job!
Had someone else tell me that, and that's what I'm planning on doing in the updated version (which I will hopefully find time to do in the very near future).

Are you a member?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member

Great graphic and thank you for doing this!

Answers
1) It takes me a few minutes to get the hang of what's going on.
2) It could be helpful to move brazil and mexico to first position over korea. That way the first thing people are seeing is that less gun ownership doesn't lower homicides. It's a marketing technique. Also perhaps a caption under the flag with the countries name. Remember how bad our public school system is.
3) Nope
4) I think percentages and ratios would be great for you're next one. Percentages are easy to remember and can have an effective impact. E.g. people are twice as likely to be killed in Chicago (some of the strictest gun laws in US) than on active duty in Afghanistan. That one freaks people out when I use it. Showing gun ownership crime rate inverse correlation of Washington DC vs. Vermont. Remember that one being off the charts.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 08-30-2013, 8:37 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

I think Yemen is #2 as far as percentage ownership.

BTW, I find your data on Mexico highly suspect. According to the Mexican government, they have very few guns, but Mexicans would tell you otherwise...
Old 08-30-2013, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud99 View Post
BTW, I find your data on Mexico highly suspect. According to the Mexican government, they have very few guns, but Mexicans would tell you otherwise...
I think the graphic is meant to show legal ownership, not cartel/F&F ownership
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Looks very nice and to the point, but I have a scientific problem with these types of graphs in general - they are playing the correlation game, where the presented information is trying to show the connection between the firearm ownership and deaths and by doing so implies that this correlation is a valid measure to begin with. It's not.

To see the problem, consider plotting the same death rates against, e.g., car ownership per capita. You might say "what do cars have to do with firearms related deaths?" and you'd be right - nothing. The same goes for "legal firearm ownership" unless someone can prove that the legal firearms are causing the gun related deaths. Just looking at Chicago, we can have an educated guess that the real problem is gangs and organized crime, not random acts of violence by legal gun owners.

There are two statistically correct things we can do with these types of graphs: use similar charts to plot Bradys data, but in such a way to depict their own "correlation fallacy," or, use this particular chart to show the lack of causality (lack of correlation implies lack of causality). Since the plot already does the latter, I'd try to make it much more explicit to avoid making it look like the data is cherry-picked (even some in this thread pointed it out).

So, I would add to the current graph several European nations where the correlation is opposite (Brady data) then add a sarcastic comment such as "Bradys believe legal guns cause violence, but it appears to be true only in some countries. Do Bradys also believe HIV causes AIDS, but only in some countries? Gangs and organized crime are responsible for gun violence, not legal firearm owners and industrialization. Countries with organized crime and gangs have higher rate of gun violence - industrialization has nothing to do with it. Do Bradys really believe industrialization prevents gun crime?"

Just my 2c.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 AM

Mexico and Brazil need moar guns!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 AM

Awesome... great job!!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Why does Brazil share a weed leaf with Mexico?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Looks very nice and to the point, but I have a scientific problem with these types of graphs in general - they are playing the correlation game, where the presented information is trying to show the connection between the firearm ownership and deaths and by doing so implies that this correlation is a valid measure to begin with. It's not.

To see the problem, consider plotting the same death rates against, e.g., car ownership per capita. You might say "what do cars have to do with firearms related deaths?" and you'd be right - nothing. The same goes for "legal firearm ownership" unless someone can prove that the legal firearms are causing the gun related deaths. Just looking at Chicago, we can have an educated guess that the real problem is gangs and organized crime, not random acts of violence by legal gun owners.

There are two statistically correct things we can do with these types of graphs: use similar charts to plot Bradys data, but in such a way to depict their own "correlation fallacy," or, use this particular chart to show the lack of causality (lack of correlation implies lack of causality). Since the plot already does the latter, I'd try to make it much more explicit to avoid making it look like the data is cherry-picked (even some in this thread pointed it out).

So, I would add to the current graph several European nations where the correlation is opposite (Brady data) then add a sarcastic comment such as "Bradys believe legal guns cause violence, but it appears to be true only in some countries. Do Bradys also believe HIV causes AIDS, but only in some countries? Gangs and organized crime are responsible for gun violence, not legal firearm owners and industrialization. Countries with organized crime and gangs have higher rate of gun violence - industrialization has nothing to do with it. Do Bradys really believe industrialization prevents gun crime?"

Just my 2c.
Good points. But like I said earlier, there just aren't any European countries with high numbers of guns per capita with accompanying high homicide rates. The data looks like it's clearly in our favor because it IS in our favor.

The only country that might work is Uruguay (South America). The homicide rate there is only marginally higher than the USA, and it still has fewer guns per capita than many of the European countries.

Serbia, number 2 on the list in guns per capita (according to that particular source; although everybody agrees the USA is at the top, many people disagree on the numbers that follow), has an intentional homicide rate equal to the "Utopian" United Kingdom. I'd add them to the list, but then it might look like I'm cherry picking the data even more...

Anyway, like you said, all this goes to show that it's certain types of people that are responsible for violent crimes, not guns. The statistics show that if the people are well-behaved, the number of weapons in that society will have no negative effects.

Are you a member?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 PM

Here is an updated version of the infographic. I incorporated some of the suggestions.

Notable changes:
1. India and Germany added.
2. Iceland and New Zealand removed.
3. Numbers added to each stat, and the former stacks of symbols are now (mostly) solid bars with a single symbol.
4. Original data sources are provided at the bottom.
5. The chart is organized from lowest intentional homicide rate to the highest. (Showing the lack of correlation between intentional deaths and guns per capita.)
6. Reordering of the "quick facts" at the bottom; one was rewritten.
7. Rewording of the intro text at the top.
8. Names of the countries added (for those who are geographically challenged ).
9. Updates to some of the numbers (for consistency).

I didn't make the graphic into a vertical format as that would be an even more time-consuming project.

Are you a member?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

jdouglas, you nailed it! Like the bar graph with symbol at top instead of all symbols. Really looks clean.

Btw, just and idea, for the first quick facts, what would you think about rewriting it? Such as "US has 13 times more firearms than the UK but only 4 times the homicide rate"

It says the same thing but reframes the context. The one you have makes sense but the first thing I read was "US has 13 times the homicide rate of the UK...." then I could hear anti's screaming, see, see how dangerous guns are. Might sound lame but proper framing helps get the right message across.

Also perhaps if you do a future project I believe I had read that per capita the US is close to the UK in homicide rate. Per capita makes the same argument but the favorable numbers become clearer for the US without people having to think to much.

Either way it looks great!
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Mass View Post
jdouglas, you nailed it! Like the bar graph with symbol at top instead of all symbols. Really looks clean.

Btw, just and idea, for the first quick facts, what would you think about rewriting it? Such as "US has 13 times more firearms than the UK but only 4 times the homicide rate"

It says the same thing but reframes the context. The one you have makes sense but the first thing I read was "US has 13 times the homicide rate of the UK...." then I could hear anti's screaming, see, see how dangerous guns are. Might sound lame but proper framing helps get the right message across.

Also perhaps if you do a future project I believe I had read that per capita the US is close to the UK in homicide rate. Per capita makes the same argument but the favorable numbers become clearer for the US without people having to think to much.

Either way it looks great!
Great job on the infographic OP! However, I would use the suggestion given by 2nd Mass in his last post. It sounds better.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 PM

I was debating the wording of the US vs UK fact box thingy. I purposely went with a more generic wording to make it seem a little less "pro-gun," while still stating the facts clearly.

I'm still not sure about it though, so if enough people bring it up, I'll probably change it.

(If anybody has a suggestion for a completely different fact to put in that box, I'm all ears.)

Are you a member?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 PM

2ndMass has a really good point about the wording, lead with what you want people to remember I think is sound advice.

Just an interesting link about the statistics of UK Vs. US in terms of homocide rates:

http://rboatright.blogspot.com/2013/...der-rates.html