Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Deals, Sales and Coupons
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Deals, Sales and Coupons Found a good deal or sale? Got a coupon or code? Share them here!

Old 08-28-2013, 7:38 PM

Default First Alert 54 gun safe at CostCo.

Anyone know anything about these safes? Decent value buy or complete junk? I know they aren't the greatest but better than a cabinet for the budget cautious shopper, right?

Old 08-28-2013, 7:42 PM

great values and ratings. any idea if these are coming to the SF Bay Area?
Old 08-28-2013, 8:42 PM

I'd say... save up, get a bighorn from costco. I spotted there before and posted about it, but ended up waiting until bighorn went on sale and ordered one.
Old 08-28-2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertipsy View Post
I'd say... save up, get a bighorn from costco. I spotted there before and posted about it, but ended up waiting until bighorn went on sale and ordered one.
Why is the Big Horn better? Aren't the ratings similar?
Old 08-28-2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_fun View Post
great values and ratings. any idea if these are coming to the SF Bay Area?
I have no idea, sorry.
Old 08-28-2013, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce. View Post
Why is the Big Horn better? Aren't the ratings similar?
I just checked, the rating are very much similar, when I saw it in person at costco though i felt the $500 was slightly smaller. I checked the online specs, and the costco bighorn has the same exterior dimensions, but slightly larger interior dimensions.

Big Horn
Interior Dimensions: 57.5" H x 26.75" W x 14.75" D

The biggest reason I ordered online though, and got the bighorn was delivery. Loading it and unloading it would be hell. When mine was delivered, guy let me unbox it outside, then he rolled it into garage and set it up against the wall for me. gave him an extra few bucks and a gatorade. No hurting my back and risking a disk

but to each his own, its still a good deal either way imo, I also like the name BIG HORN
Old 08-28-2013, 9:10 PM

tractor supply, if your in the north bay. better and bigger for the same price and a all around better brand
Old 08-28-2013, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I got the little one, and figured it's roughly the same as the Winchester they used to sell for $500 (later for $550) and also the same as the Bighorn but costs quite a bit less.

Loading:
- Two guys from Costco put it in my truck, I didn't have to touch it

Unloading:
- Took the door off the hinge while it was still in my truck (watch the washers and ball bearings while you do this)
- Pushed the safe to the edge of the gate till it balanced, swung it down from the bed while standing above it. Safe now standing up.
- Loaded onto a furniture dolly and took it inside
- Used a jack to put the door on (could be done without, but would take two for best results)

I'm an average schmoe, 180lbs. You can do it too.

Good safe for the money!
Old 08-28-2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
I got the little one, and figured it's roughly the same as the Winchester they used to sell for $500 (later for $550) and also the same as the Bighorn but costs quite a bit less.

Loading:
- Two guys from Costco put it in my truck, I didn't have to touch it

Unloading:
- Took the door off the hinge while it was still in my truck (watch the washers and ball bearings while you do this)
- Pushed the safe to the edge of the gate till it balanced, swung it down from the bed while standing above it. Safe now standing up.
- Loaded onto a furniture dolly and took it inside
- Used a jack to put the door on (could be done without, but would take two for best results)

I'm an average schmoe, 180lbs. You can do it too.

Good safe for the money!
Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-28-2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertipsy View Post
I just checked, the rating are very much similar, when I saw it in person at costco though i felt the $500 was slightly smaller. I checked the online specs, and the costco bighorn has the same exterior dimensions, but slightly larger interior dimensions.

Big Horn
Interior Dimensions: 57.5" H x 26.75" W x 14.75" D

The biggest reason I ordered online though, and got the bighorn was delivery. Loading it and unloading it would be hell. When mine was delivered, guy let me unbox it outside, then he rolled it into garage and set it up against the wall for me. gave him an extra few bucks and a gatorade. No hurting my back and risking a disk

but to each his own, its still a good deal either way imo, I also like the name BIG HORN
Good points but the Big Horns have been $50 more lately and the extra space seems minuscule in the grand scheme of things for me.

I do appreciate your input!
Old 08-29-2013, 7:35 PM

I saw the big First Alert 54-gun safe today at my local Costco and I am very impressed! I bought the First Alert 24-gun safe about three months ago and it filled up very quickly. I don't know how you can squeeze 24 guns in there but mine can only hold 8 rifles and I am running out of room. I stopped by Costco to buy another First Alert 24-gun safe but after I saw this 54-gun safe one, I am going to get it!!! It looks like it can safely hold 21 guns rather than 54 as advertised! It does have three rifle sections/divivers and I calculated that each section can hold 7 rifles nicely. The interior is similar to the safe below but without the pockets on the door. You will NEVER find another safe with same/similar specs for $749!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 7:52 PM

Helped a bud pick one up. A great safe for the coin. Don't hesitate.
Old 08-29-2013, 9:40 PM

I bought two of the smaller ones instead of one big one. Just like another poster said, the guys at Costco loaded them in the truck for us. Stopped by UHaul on the way home and rented a dolly for 10 bucks overnight. My son and I got both out of the truck no problem. Unboxed them and strapped one to the dolly. We had to go inside the house via six stairs. To get up the stairs we used three people, but it wasn't too hard. We left the doors on. Most of the moving through the house was done by one person. The dolly handled the weight well. Once in the room they came off the dolly and were carefully "walked" into place the last few inches.

I returned to Costco and picked up some battery operated LED light picks with remote for less than 30 bucks. Three lights in each safe works perfectly.
Old 08-29-2013, 9:41 PM

I bought two of the smaller ones instead of one big one. Just like another poster said, the guys at Costco loaded them in the truck for us. Stopped by UHaul on the way home and rented a dolly for 10 bucks overnight. My son and I got both out of the truck no problem. Unboxed them and strapped one to the dolly. We had to go inside the house via six stairs. To get up the stairs we used three people, but it wasn't too hard. We left the doors on. Most of the moving through the house was done by one person. The dolly handled the weight well. Once in the room they came off the dolly and were carefully "walked" into place the last few inches.

I returned to Costco and picked up some battery operated LED light picks with remote for less than 30 bucks. Three lights in each safe works perfectly.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I take the dividers out from my safes, keep the top shelf and add a door mounted rack for pistols. This doubles the space. (ie. Really could hold 24 22 rifles)
Old 08-30-2013, 7:52 AM

Go to Turners today. They have one that is 400 dollars off, $599, listed on their ad.
Old 08-30-2013, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfromsd View Post
Go to Turners today. They have one that is 400 dollars off, $599, listed on their ad.
I seen the same safe in the Walmart website for around $650 with free delivery. A good option for anybody who cannot pick the safe up at the store
Old 08-30-2013, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jldelgado View Post
I seen the same safe in the Walmart website for around $650 with free delivery. A good option for anybody who cannot pick the safe up at the store
Walmart shows a similar model at $1100 for me. This is a special edition Sentinel model Stack-On makes. Seems like its cheaper and a about 5 inches narrower then the normal Stack-On model Walmart and others sell. I ended up ordering this one as opposed to the Costco one since I like the extra space, especially the depth of it and the storage solution on the door.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-3...Black/20753917

Last edited by Deuce.; 08-30-2013 at 3:39 PM..
Old 08-30-2013, 2:26 PM

Costco is putting this safe on sale.....finally. I think I'm going to wait for this one.
Old 08-30-2013, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jldelgado View Post
link ?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Walmart shows a similar model at $1100 for me. This is a special edition Sentinel model Stack-On makes. Seems like its cheaper and a about 5 inches narrower then the normal Stack-On model Walmart and others sell. I ended up ordering this one as opposed to the Costco one since I like the extra space, especially the depth of it and the storage solution on the door.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-3...Black/20753917
There is NO WAY that this Stack-On safe you bought has larger capacity than the 54-gun First Alert safe at Costco:

Stack On Safe: 59"H x 35"W X 26.8"D...weight 545 lbs.
First Alert Safe: 59"H x 40"W X 25"D.....weight 692 lbs.

Last edited by U5512; 08-31-2013 at 12:11 AM..
Old 08-31-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
There is NO WAY that this Stack-On safe you bought has larger capacity than the 54-gun First Alert safe at Costco:

Stack On Safe: 59"H x 35"W X 26.8"D...weight 545 lbs.
First Alert Safe: 59"H x 40"W X 25"D.....weight 692 lbs.
Of course, the first post has two safes mentioned. I was obviously talking about the smaller 24 gun capacity.

The Stack On safe at Turners is also not 35"W, its a bit for 30"W. Its a Sentinel model which is the cheaper version of the Elite. The dimensions you posted are for the Elite.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Of course, the first post has two safes mentioned. I was obviously talking about the smaller 24 gun capacity.

The Stack On safe at Turners is also not 35"W, its a bit for 30"W. Its a Sentinel model which is the cheaper version of the Elite. The dimensions you posted are for the Elite.
Got it!
Old 08-31-2013, 1:34 PM

As indicated earlier that I was going to buy the First Alert 54-gun safe and today is the day. I went to Costco early this morning with my brother and half an hour later the big safe was in my garage! I took the door off to make it easier to move the safe around to its final destination. However, today is another hot and humid day in SoCal so I will leave everything the way it is until the weather gets better for work in the garage (drilling holes on floor to bolt down the safe, etc.,). If you're thinking about buying a safe and your local Costco carries it, go buy one as it is one solid / quality safe and NO DOUBT IT IS THE BEST VALUE OUT THERE!!!

http://www.firstalert.com/SAFES-CASH...-safes/7334dfb

Last edited by U5512; 08-31-2013 at 6:08 PM..
Old 08-31-2013, 1:37 PM

which OC costco did buy safe from?
Old 08-31-2013, 1:45 PM

Nice! I went to my local costco this morning but they were sold out.
Old 08-31-2013, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0351USMC View Post
which OC costco did buy safe from?
The Costco store in Huntington Beach. It is the newest Costco in Orange County and it is in the Bella Terra shopping mall. I was so glad to see this big safe at this Costco and like I said you will never find a better deal out there for a safe with similar specs. The Costco in Garden Grove doesn't carry this big safe.

http://www.firstalert.com/SAFES-CASH...-safes/7334dfb

Last edited by U5512; 08-31-2013 at 6:08 PM..
Old 08-31-2013, 4:19 PM

That's a really good size safe for the money!
Have you watched this video??? I watched the whole thing awhile back while looking for a safe, it was very helpful for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8
- RCBS Lube-A-Matic Sizer Die 500 Diameter+ top punch
Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Hello Everyone. I am Timothy from Format USA. We are a local reseller of the First Alert safes from Costco. Our warehouse is receiving all the customer returns.

As you may or may not know, Costco has a super lax policy on customer returns on all their items. Most of these returns are for cosmetic damage when the customer scratched the outside of the safes. These get returned and fully refunded to the customer and we get stuck with them.

We are located in La Habra and we're currently in the process of cleaning up some of the damaged safe and making sure all parts are in working order. We're also in the process of liquidating these safes at prices lower than the original price. We're in the process of grading these on an A, B, C scale for pricing.

If you're interested, or someone you know is interested, then please let me know. They're going to be available for pickup online. My phone number is 562-691-5398. You can speak with either Bruce or Myself. They're the same safes with the same specifications, but they have scratched to the powder coat. You'll still be getting a great deal.

You can also message me here and I'll reply as soon as I can.
Old 10-11-2013, 4:05 PM

I'm in the office from Monday-Friday 8:30 - 4:00 (PST). You can also email me if you're interested, timothyimt@aol.com

I'm sorry if any of you call and get my voice mail. I won't be back to the office until Monday. If you have any questions you can email me any time.
Old 10-13-2013, 1:50 PM

I emailed Tim and have as of yet to get a response.. Really curious as to what kind of deal they can give us..

Gun Zone Radio Sundays at 2pm.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 AM

Hi there Phylo. Did you send me the email directly? Have I responded yet?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 AM

We're still starting to really sort through these safes. Our guys said that they're mostly A and B quality. There aren't any C quality in working order.

These safes are in various conditions. We will only sell safes that are working to manufacturer specifications. The safe will have a one year warranty for the lock. The prices will be based on the condition. A Quality (which will have none to minor scratches with touch ups), B Quality (which has more significant scratches no touch ups), and C Quality (which will have extensive cosmetic damage with no touch ups).
Old 10-14-2013, 1:06 PM

Cool Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormatUSA_Tim View Post
We're still starting to really sort through these safes. Our guys said that they're mostly A and B quality. There aren't any C quality in working order.

These safes are in various conditions. We will only sell safes that are working to manufacturer specifications. The safe will have a one year warranty for the lock. The prices will be based on the condition. A Quality (which will have none to minor scratches with touch ups), B Quality (which has more significant scratches no touch ups), and C Quality (which will have extensive cosmetic damage with no touch ups).
Tim, please message me on your asking prices for the A, B, and C quality safe, accordingly.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diab0lus View Post
Tim, please message me on your asking prices for the A, B, and C quality safe, accordingly.

Thanks!
Same here please. I sent you a PM a few days ago and never heard back.
Old 10-14-2013, 1:29 PM

Ive exchange some email and had a brief discussion with Timothy as well. Per my understanding, he's just catching up with the emails/PMs ..

While I don't know Timothy, nor have used their service before, it sounds like a great opportunity for us all
Old 10-14-2013, 1:49 PM

Pm sent but no response as of yet
Old 10-14-2013, 2:16 PM

A Quality will have minor scratches and will be sold for $399. B Quality will have more significant outside damage and will be sold for $299. The C Quality safes will be sold as a negotiable price, and will be sold as-is.
Old 10-14-2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
A Quality will have minor scratches and will be sold for $399. B Quality will have more significant outside damage and will be sold for $299. The C Quality safes will be sold as a negotiable price, and will be sold as-is.
What size safe are those prices for?
Old 10-14-2013, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneeasy View Post
What size safe are those prices for?
19 cu ft