Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-26-2013, 8:45 PM

Default remanufactured laptops....

anyone have an opinion about buying factory re-manufactured laptops? they only have 90 day warrenties....i'm not sure how thorough they are either when checking out a defective product...

anyone have any experiences?
Old 08-26-2013, 9:30 PM
Veteran Member

I have two and they have been working fine for almost a year
samsung and hp

Last edited by Brianguy; 08-26-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 5:55 AM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn't trust them more than the 90 day warranty, but everybody needs to do what they need to do in this Obama-economy...

I assume the drive will die, so back up data regularly, as some people with notebooks set them to never spin down the drives.

I'd blow the fan-grill in both directions with compressed air, as you don't know if they removed all the dust from the CPU "radiator".

(NEVER leave a notebook with a fan on the bottom on a fluffy bedspread, blanket, or on the couch cushion... Only on flat hard surfaces, or lap with lots of airflow. People have been frying them a lot in this heat.)
Old 08-27-2013, 8:21 AM

Any piece of electronics that has been "re-manufactured" is a gamble. Chances are that they only replaced the blown/broken part and everything else is original. With laptop prices so low for a entry/mid level machine, why waste your time on a used piece of equipment??
Old 08-27-2013, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideInMyWater View Post
anyone have an opinion about buying factory re-manufactured laptops? they only have 90 day warrenties....i'm not sure how thorough they are either when checking out a defective product...

anyone have any experiences?
When I see refurbed ANYTHING it does not mean like new.

With that said, whatever internal flaws existed will still exist. IE, HP seems to have one internal flaw on several models where only the leds light up or blink or flicker and it will not turn on. That tends to happen after you open and close it x amount of times and until you get the mobo 187 chip reflowed will continue to be a problem. Matter of fact, I have TWO of those right now and one gets to opportunity to be my test subject...

If it were a business machine that typically sells NEW for about $2000 and you can pick it up for about $400 (which is what I used to do) then I say go for it. If it is a consumer grade machine that sold new for about $500 and you can get it for $300 then pass.

Really though the only real problems you need to worry about USUALLY is how old that HD is. I usually replace mine as soon as I get them anyways unless I am selling it off.

A decent machine WAS the HP NC6400. Fleabay sellers get them in ALL the time off of corporate lease and some are in NEAR PERFECT condition. Excellent screens and all that, the sellers replace the battery (or not) and blow out any dust and then turn around and sell them for around $200-$350 and they are dualcore setups that can run 4+GB of ram (I think) and a 500+GB drive. The screens are nice and they are very responsive. I know because I have three of them. I had to stop trying to upgrade and refurb them when I was laid off so they just sit in a box now. But they were VERY nice. The might be closer to around $250 now... BTW, I purchased new aftermarket batteries for around $35 and all seems well for over a year now. Normal HP OEM batteries will run you around $80.

BTW, buying used machines is BEST for the expensive ones out the door like most business class machines or those dell XPS laptops or panasonic tough books. If you can get those for a few hundred then you are doing good.

Last edited by stilly; 08-27-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Laptops and computers are so cheap these days, I don't understand the need for an unknown machine.

As laptop batteries can run $100-$150 I like the concept of buying a new machine with sufficient RAM and then replacing it in 3-5 years.

Dell has a 30 day return policy on refurb and lease returns.
http://www.gotapex.com/
This has links to a 17" refurb for under $400

Last edited by hermosabeach; 08-27-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Laptops and computers are so cheap these days, I don't understand the need for an unknown machine.

As laptop batteries can run $100-$150 I like the concept of buying a new machine with sufficient RAM and then replacing it in 3-5 years.

Dell has a 30 day return policy on refurb and lease returns.
http://www.gotapex.com/
This has links to a 17" refurb for under $400
Well then clearly buying a used laptop is not for you.

For others it is the thrill of the hunt to get one for as cheap as possible, then restore it and make it run nice.

Example. Last year I picked up a Dell XPS with who knows what CPU, no ram, no HDD and dead battery (with AC adapter).

Screen was beautiful though and it looked like there was hardly any markings on it at all.
$82 after shipping.
CPU ended up being a t7500
Added 2GB of RAM $28
Battery $34
250GB HD $46

Very nice performance laptop for under $200

Last edited by stilly; 08-28-2013 at 9:22 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Calguns Addict

The fact that you would ask this question says (to me) that you're not computer savvy enough to buy something thats not brand new. So in your case I would go to a store and pay top $.
Old 08-28-2013, 4:45 AM
Calguns Addict

I have found some really good deals on dekstops and hardware upgrades on pricewatch, maybe it would serve someone for a notebook too:
http://www.pricewatch.com/notebooks/
Old 08-28-2013, 4:45 AM
Calguns Addict

I have found some really good deals on dekstops and hardware upgrades on pricewatch, maybe it would serve someone for a notebook too:
http://www.pricewatch.com/notebooks/
Old 08-28-2013, 1:37 PM
CGSSA Wine Country Chapt.
CGN Contributor

I bought a used Dell laptop for my step-daughter for under $300. She had a HD issue in the first week. I sent it back and they replaced the HD with a larger one, all for no $$ S&H both ways. Since then no problems!! I am jealous of her laptop when my old ones need so much TLC!

Buying a used one depends on: your usage ( frequency ) and your knowledge. Do you know the difference between a software issue & a hardware issue? If you are a knowledgeable user, I would but used! If you are not.. save your $$ and buy NEW

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-28-2013, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

i dunno, i wouldn't. My macbook from early 2009 is still running like the day it was born, best laptop I've ever owned. It's never crashed, i use it daily. Still looks new too (I keep it in a nice case to travel). I will be upgrading the OS soon to the new build, but I haven't in 2 years. It's only got a 160GB drive but I have terabyte drives for storage. The new Air's are sweet too and last forever on a charge. I know the apple haters will come soon, and I have no love for the company, but it's been a great laptop.
Old 08-28-2013, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinoro2007 View Post
i dunno, i wouldn't. My macbook from early 2009 is still running like the day it was born, best laptop I've ever owned. It's never crashed, i use it daily. Still looks new too (I keep it in a nice case to travel). I will be upgrading the OS soon to the new build, but I haven't in 2 years. It's only got a 160GB drive but I have terabyte drives for storage. The new Air's are sweet too and last forever on a charge. I know the apple haters will come soon, and I have no love for the company, but it's been a great laptop.
I just passed mine on to a friend from the same part of the year, and it's still purring away. I dropped an SSD hybrid hard drive in it and it gave it a whole new lease of life in terms of speed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FQeCQgod9B8A3g

(If you get one make sure it's the right one - link is for example)

Apple bashers tend to be those people that have to have a team, it's a little sad really. I have been using them for over 10 years for some very simple reasons - I need tools that last, tools that don't need to be rebooted or updated every ten minutes and are not susceptible to virus's without added software to laden the O.S.

That said, for the OP... the advice that brand new Windows machines are so cheap at the moment that the little saved on reconditioned seems a little pointless, particularly with only a 90 day warranty.

If you have a little money to play with, you can pick up refurbished Macs if you look carefully at Apples online store... I picked up my last few from there, including this 27" iMac I am typing on. Typically around $100 can be saved, and they have the same warranty.
Old 08-28-2013, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastureofmuppets View Post
I just passed mine on to a friend from the same part of the year, and it's still purring away. I dropped an SSD hybrid hard drive in it and it gave it a whole new lease of life in terms of speed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FQeCQgod9B8A3g

(If you get one make sure it's the right one - link is for example)

Apple bashers tend to be those people that have to have a team, it's a little sad really. I have been using them for over 10 years for some very simple reasons - I need tools that last, tools that don't need to be rebooted or updated every ten minutes and are not susceptible to virus's without added software to laden the O.S.

That said, for the OP... the advice that brand new Windows machines are so cheap at the moment that the little saved on reconditioned seems a little pointless, particularly with only a 90 day warranty.

If you have a little money to play with, you can pick up refurbished Macs if you look carefully at Apples online store... I picked up my last few from there, including this 27" iMac I am typing on. Typically around $100 can be saved, and they have the same warranty.
That's a nice drive. If mine poops out I'll definitely try one. I keep wanting a new laptop (the air) but I can't justify it, and I picked up an Ipad4 which has been pretty sweet.

For the OP, I'd recommend avoiding HP and Dell, moreso HP. I've had nothing but trouble from every HP machine I've ever owned (laptop and desktop).
Old 08-28-2013, 7:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am an apple hater. But really, it is the fanbois that pop in and yell out that you should get a mac... Those are the guys that irritate me. Mac has a mix of Unix in its OS does it not? They put a good spin on it and polished it nicely. In all honesty I think that a MAC is a decent computer. It is just so much fun being a hater With that said though I have often wondered how hard it would be to round out a version of Linux and see if I could make it nearly bullet proof with the customizations and updates and what not. It could be a good thing, but a bit above my paygrade currently. I think too that a lot of people do not know how to take care of things. Yes, things can be cheap and that means that it is okay to abuse them or neglect taking care of them properly. That kind of attitude I think is what gets some people in trouble and they tend to wear out their products a bit faster. I think the reason why I do not like mac/apple is also because I was and probably always will be an AMD fanboi myself. With that said, I believe that if you run certain intel cpus, that you can have a mac OS on a PC or a winblows OS on a mac, but if you have an AMD cpu, you are SOL. Why did they leave out AMD? Asshats... I think the two factions worked together to try to keep a good CPU down...

nohomo

Your post about your mac/apple was an informative post and if I knew little about computers and read it I would consider looking at them as well. My apple/mac fanboi meter is not even twitching. So shame on anyone that comes in here hating on what you said...

And then there is this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastureofmuppets View Post
... Apple bashers tend to be those people that have to have a team, it's a little sad really. I have been using them for over 10 years for some very simple reasons - I need tools that last, tools that don't need to be rebooted or updated every ten minutes and are not susceptible to virus's without added software to laden the O.S.

I do not have to have a team, I can work alone or as a team player. But one thing that I never understood was why two identical modems made by the same manufacturer put side by side cost $50 more for a MAC than for a PC. That was just the start. Apple drove a wedge between me and my friend and we could never network the cool stuff or play computer games together growing up because he had a hand me down franken mac. Why was it a franken mac? Because as my joke goes, in order to upgrade a mac you have to buy a new one, my friend's stepdad was an engineer though and he actually gave his mac a labotomy and was able to double the ram (to like 8 megs or something). Then he riveted the top back on and my friend called it a franken mac. That was when I really started hating on mac/apple. All I knew was that their over priced stuff kept my friend from being able to play with me. And it really only got worse. I think that computers are like guns, just because practically everyone can own one, does not mean that everyone should... In the wrong hands ANY computer can be trouble for someone.

Based on what you said, you mean to tell me that a refurbed apple/mac will sell for as much as $100 less then a new one? If I read that right and that is how it goes, then I can only say wow, that is a company that is full of themselves. When a company promotes stupid things like this: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ then THAT is what causes hatred of their products. Things like that tend to make the more uncivil guys like myself become haters because it makes us feel like they are saying that only apple users are smart, I don't particularly care for any group of people that call themselves geniuses just because they know a little more. That is like me calling myself a PC GOD or EXPERT. In my world there are no experts, just people that know a lot. Am I to call myself a Hero because I fought off a virus the other day? I guess if it were on an apple platform then yes, I have the clearance to do that. Hold a sec, I got to take a breather and count to 10. -Edit If it were on an Apple platform, then I could actually call myself a doctor now...

Anyways, I am turning off the gas; there are NO flames here. But that is a little bit of the reason WHY PC users might hate on mac/apple products and their stupid self-proclaimed genius users. It is stupid **** like that and they may not come out and say it, but we know they are thinking it. And that kind of mentality is typically the same sort of mentality that leads folks to say "innocent" things that irritate others. What can I say, I have no love for haughtiness... ESPECIALLY when I can defeat your bootup PW by taking out a stick of RAM... (yeah real ****ing smart, geniuses...)

In all honesty though, I think that a lot of PC users might upgrade to different and newer laptops from time to time BECAUSE THEY CAN. People like variety and by having twenty + different laptop, notebook and pc makers out there, it gives people a lot of choices. They might jump from one to another because they can afford to or they are trying to find one that just feels right. MAC users never could afford to do such a thing until Fleabay came around. Then they could pawn off their old crap to other people and maybe buy a new USED mac book at a decent price. Let's face it though, technology DOES change and you may THINK that your mac that was NEW in 2009 is superior, but by today's standards, it is slower then a mac user cares to admit. That is okay, we understand that. If I got butt-raped over a laptop that I bought brand spanking new then I would profess it to be the best one EVER built as well...

Okay, sorry for the wall, I am done.

Oh, one more thing, that IS a nice drive...

Last edited by stilly; 09-04-2013 at 9:29 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 8:44 PM

Buy whatever your wallet can afford. Don't let anyone discourage you from either buying new or old. Technology will always be technology, no one is going to make a product that will last you a lifetime, if so...how are they going to ever make money?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
I am an apple hater. But really, it is the fanbois that pop in and yell out that you should get a mac... Those are the guys that irritate me. Mac has a mix of Unix in its OS does it not? They put a good spin on it and polished it nicely. In all honesty I think that a MAC is a decent computer. It is just so much fun being a hater With that said though I have often wondered how hard it would be to round out a version of Linux and see if I could make it nearly bullet proof with the customizations and updates and what not. It could be a good thing, but a bit above my paygrade currently. I think too that a lot of people do not know how to take care of things. Yes, things can be cheap and that means that it is okay to abuse them or neglect taking care of them properly. That kind of attitude I think is what gets some people in trouble and they tend to wear out their products a bit faster. I think the reason why I do not like mac/apple is also because I was and probably always will be an AMD fanboi myself. With that said, I believe that if you run certain intel cpus, that you can have a mac OS on a PC or a winblows OS on a mac, but if you have an AMD cpu, you are SOL. Why did they leave out AMD? Asshats... I think the two factions worked together to try to keep a good CPU down...

nohomo

Your post about your mac/apple was an informative post and if I knew little about computers and read it I would consider looking at them as well. My apple/mac fanboi meter is not even twitching. So shame on anyone that comes in here hating on what you said...

And then there is this...

I do not have to have a team, I can work alone or as a team player. But one thing that I never understood was why two identical modems made by the same manufacturer put side by side cost $50 more for a MAC then for a PC. That was just the start. Apple drove a wedge between me and my friend and we could never network the cool stuff or play computer games together growing up because he had a hand me down franken mac. Why was it a franken mac? Because as my joke goes, in order to upgrade a mac you have to buy a new one, my friend's stepdad was an engineer though and he actually gave his mac a labotomy and was able to double the ram (to like 8 megs or something). Then he riveted the top back on and my friend called it a frankin mac. That was when I really started hating on mac/apple. All I knew was that their over priced stuff kept my friend from being able to play with me. And it really only got worse. I think that computers are like guns, just because practically everyone can own one, does not mean that everyone should... In the wrong hands ANY computer can be trouble for someone.

Based on what you said, you mean to tell me that a refurbed apple/mac will sell for as much as $100 less then a new one? If I read that right and that is how it goes, then I can only say wow, that is a company that is full of themselves. When a company promotes stupid things like this: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ then THAT is what causes hatred of their products. Things like that tend to make the more uncivil guys like myself become haters because it makes us feel like they are saying that only apple users are smart, I don't particularly care for any group of people that call themselves geniuses just because they know a little more. That is like me calling myself a PC GOD or EXPERT. In my world there are no experts, just people that know a lot. Am I to call myself a Hero because I fought off a virus the other day? I guess if it were on an apple platform then yes, I have the clearance to do that. Hold a sec, I got to take a breather and count to 10.

Anyways, I am turning off the gas; there are NO flames here. But that is a little bit of the reason WHY PC users might hate on mac/apple products and their stupid self-proclaimed genius users. It is stupid **** like that and they may not come out and say it, but we know they are thinking it. And that kind of mentality is typically the same sort of mentality that leads folks to say "innocent" things that irritate others. What can I say, I have no love for haughtiness... ESPECIALLY when I can defeat your bootup PW by taking out a stick of RAM... (yeah real ****ing smart, geniuses...)

In all honesty though, I think that a lot of PC users might upgrade to different and newer laptops from time to time BECAUSE THEY CAN. People like variety and by having twenty + different laptop, notebook and pc makers out there, it gives people a lot of choices. They might jump from one to another because they can afford to or they are trying to find one that just feels right. MAC users never could afford to do such a thing until Fleabay came around. Then they could pawn off their old crap to other people and maybe buy a new USED mac book at a decent price. Let's face it though, technology DOES change and you may THINK that your mac that was NEW in 2009 is superior, but by today's standards, it is slower then a mac user cares to admit. That is okay, we understand that. If I got butt-raped over a laptop that I bought brand spanking new then I would profess it to be the best one EVER built as well...

Okay, sorry for the wall, I am done.

Oh, one more thing, that IS a nice drive...

haha, nice post. I actually like AMD processors also, my desktop has one. For awhile I ran windows on my Macbook actually, it ran fine and fast, but I decided to erase it as I really didn't need it except for one STATs program I needed for school at the time, otherwise I could still use Office for Mac. I used to be more of a power user and really tweak my windows computers, but now I just want something that works and has minimal issues. For me, the macbook has been just that for 4.5 years and running. My wife has a slightly newer one nearing 4 years of no problems. I run my 55" TV off it daily also and it looks great even with the rather old video card that mine came with. As far as the genius bars, the people who work there typically know less that I do, but I think they are proclaiming themselves as geniuses, not the rank and file Mac user who comes to them for assistance. I do hate mac stores, very annoying workers and patrons, but I am actually a mac-hater who reformed

Last edited by Packy14; 08-29-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Old 08-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
haha, nice post. I actually like AMD processors also, my desktop has one. For awhile I ran windows on my Macbook actually, it ran fine and fast, but I decided to erase it as I really didn't need it except for one STATs program I needed for school at the time, otherwise I could still use Office for Mac. I used to be more of a power user and really tweak my windows computers, but now I just want something that works and has minimal issues. For me, the macbook has been just that for 4.5 years and running. My wife has a slightly newer one nearing 4 years of no problems. I run my 55" TV off it daily also and it looks great even with the rather old video card that mine came with. As far as the genius bars, the people who work there typically know less that I do, but I think they are proclaiming themselves as geniuses, not the rank and file Mac user who comes to them for assistance. I do hate mac stores, very annoying workers and patrons, but I am actually a mac-hater who reformed
Glad to bring you some joy there.

I am a closet hater. I was offered a mac that is a cute little circle that is white with a monitor sticking out of it. It is a round little case with a crystal clear mouse and keyboard. Really cool. I said yes I would love to give it a home. It even has little rainbow covers on it.

But shhhh, don't tell anyone.
Old 09-03-2013, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

In July, my job changed and required me to travel more often and my aging desktop isn't easy to carry around. I bought a "re-manufactured" Lenovo Ideapad Y580 at a discount (~$450 off).

I made the purchase through Amazon and the company included a 1 year extended warranty added to Lenovo's 90 days and so far I've had no actual issues with hardware. The Lenovo Bloatware was easy to fix and after proper drivers, the thing works like a champ.

Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction
Old 09-04-2013, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

That is another thing about laptops and their users.
Most guys I know tend to be blue collar towards their jobs and the computers they own. They might be a little rough with their laptops from time to time and that might be what cuts down the lifespan. Then you have college kids that got a good deal on a cheap PC laptop and hey, they use and abuse it.

MAC users on the other hand, well, many strike me as being upper class that baby their laptops and take extremely good care of them and maybe that prolongs the life of them. Of course a tile floor is a tile floor no matter what hits it. But is there a MAC user that owns a 4x4 AND has taken it off road at all?

I do not mean the guys that own the newer toyota FJ land cruisers and drive over a small patch of dirt to get to a gas station.

I have honestly never known anyone in any of my circles that owns a macbook and enjoys the outdoors or likes to shoot.

I on the other hand have a magnetic holster on the side of my PC... :\

Last edited by stilly; 09-04-2013 at 9:40 AM..
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I like Acer 5315's. You can get em dirt cheap on eblah. One recores them
from a single core Celeron to a Duo Core 2 T-9100, a new hd from WD like a
Black Scorpio in 320 or 500 gigs, or a cheap SSD, 3 gig's or ram, and
either Linux or Windows, and one has a pretty quick lil laptop for 150
+\-.

Runs like hell with a dual core temp of around 30 to 42 C.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
That is another thing about laptops and their users.
Most guys I know tend to be blue collar towards their jobs and the computers they own. They might be a little rough with their laptops from time to time and that might be what cuts down the lifespan. Then you have college kids that got a good deal on a cheap PC laptop and hey, they use and abuse it.

MAC users on the other hand, well, many strike me as being upper class that baby their laptops and take extremely good care of them and maybe that prolongs the life of them. Of course a tile floor is a tile floor no matter what hits it. But is there a MAC user that owns a 4x4 AND has taken it off road at all?

I do not mean the guys that own the newer toyota FJ land cruisers and drive over a small patch of dirt to get to a gas station.

I have honestly never known anyone in any of my circles that owns a macbook and enjoys the outdoors or likes to shoot.

I on the other hand have a magnetic holster on the side of my PC... :\
I have a buddy who is a mac user and was hardcore into offroading. Sold him my first Jeep to get another one, and he went nuts with it. About a year later, I was helping him remove the tub before he installed his Shaffer's Offroad full tube chasis. 36" Iroks on beadlocks. Ford 8.8 in the rear, Atlas 4:1 TC, ARB's in box axles, powered by a York onboard air system. Aside from him, I have never met another offroading Mac user. Plenty of iphone users out there though.
Old 09-13-2013, 3:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpam View Post
I have a buddy who is a mac user and was hardcore into offroading. Sold him my first Jeep to get another one, and he went nuts with it. About a year later, I was helping him remove the tub before he installed his Shaffer's Offroad full tube chasis. 36" Iroks on beadlocks. Ford 8.8 in the rear, Atlas 4:1 TC, ARB's in box axles, powered by a York onboard air system. Aside from him, I have never met another offroading Mac user. Plenty of iphone users out there though.
Clearly there is an exception to every rule...

HOWEVER, I said MAC for a reason. An I-phone is not a MAC as I meant. A MAC to me is an actual computer and yes, while your friend got a MAC, most folks will get an iphone because it is NOT a windows phone and it is "cool" to have it. Also, does not cost NEARLY as much as a MAC computer costs.

I just inherited an iMAC from someone and they were rock hounds and I SWEAR they had every Startrek dvd/vhs EVER made in their collection. Dunno what it is, but they also were not off-roaders. They were more like sand raiders. Covered up when outside and picked around till they found something they liked.

My friend (partner in crime) switched over to iphone cause of his network and offerings. HE is an off roader and shooter as well, but not quite as passionate with the 2A stuff...

Last edited by stilly; 09-14-2013 at 2:17 AM..