Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Default Wood Mini 14 Handguard

Hey guys, this is the first time posting on this thread but my recent purchase of a Mini 14 Ranch rifle has left me with questions that I think only this community can answer.

My first most question deals with the Mini's handguard. I noticed online that a few of the earlier models sport a walnut handguard that I think looks very pleasing, it kind of makes the rifle look like a modified M1 Garand. My question is are there any aftermarket wood handguards that look similar to these originals? If so, will their fit on all models?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

there is 2 types of wood handguards the one with the clip on the top and the one with the riveted barrel clamp the one with the barrel clamp works with any one that fits the standard plastic one

but wood is not better it traps the heat and it also allowed the charging handle to pop out of the slot(rare but it happens)

the one with the clip on top locks into milled grooves in the barrel ao i thing its just for pre 181 series
Old 08-26-2013, 2:06 PM
Trigger Warning
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
there is 2 types of wood handguards the one with the clip on the top and the one with the riveted barrel clamp the one with the barrel clamp works with any one that fits the standard plastic one

but wood is not better it traps the heat and it also allowed the charging handle to pop out of the slot(rare but it happens)

the one with the clip on top locks into milled grooves in the barrel ao i thing its just for pre 181 series
Well, stated.

My opinion is that the polymer hand guards and stocks are much more functional and they won't crack. The wood looks mighty nice though.

In a time of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act... --George Orwell
Old 08-26-2013, 2:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I replaced my Series 181, woody, 30 years ago with the polymer.
Old 08-26-2013, 6:21 PM

Great input, thanks guys. Is there a versatile wood aftermarket handguard available?
Old 08-26-2013, 7:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally M. View Post
Great input, thanks guys. Is there a versatile wood aftermarket handguard available?
sorry no there is a spiffy metal perforated one that is mega cool if you can find it i think they were made in japan but it does not have the retaining wall to prevent carrier track kick-out

i had a couple wood ones sold them on ebay for like $90 plastic is better ruger plastic is the best plastic i've ever experienced

judging by what i got for my wood ones there is a high demand for them
Old 08-26-2013, 8:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hey guys, this is the first time posting on this thread but my recent purchase of a Mini 14 Ranch rifle has left me with questions that I think only this community can answer.

My first most question deals with the Mini's handguard. I noticed online that a few of the earlier models sport a walnut handguard that I think looks very pleasing, it kind of makes the rifle look like a modified M1 Garand. My question is are there any aftermarket wood handguards that look similar to these originals? If so, will their fit on all models?
I have an about 10 year old Ranch Rifle, bought a factory walnut stock from Numrich Arms for about $65.00 and grabbed a walnut upper handguard off EBay for about $15.00 a few years back. Everything dropped in well and the wood all matched up perfectly.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1194410.htm
Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 PM

Interesting timing on this thread. Today I bought some parts for my 180 series Mini 14 and included in the box was a wooden handguard for the 181 (and later?) series. To the OP, if interested send me a PM with your e-mail and I can send you a pic. It does have a ding in the top, but otherwise looks good.
Old 08-27-2013, 1:24 PM

Can someone post pics of a wood handguard? Now I'm curious.
Old 08-27-2013, 3:12 PM

Here's a picture of the wood handguard.
Old 08-27-2013, 3:16 PM

^^ Interesting, thanks. I can see how the plastic top would cool better.
Old 08-27-2013, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Here's a picture of the wood handguard.
i love it.....really feels more like a ....MINI M14...lol
Old 08-27-2013, 8:24 PM

I can confirm that the wood hand guard with the clip will fit on a new 582 series mini. The fit is very tight on the thicker barrel and it does not line up perfectly with the stock on the left side (582 series stock is slightly thicker). Personally I think that it looks way better than the plastic fantastic hand guard.

Last edited by jagrjones; 08-27-2013 at 9:17 PM..
Old 08-28-2013, 9:34 AM

On a slightly unrelated note: do they make any replacement barrels for the Minis?