Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2013, 2:30 PM
AmishArmorer AmishArmorer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Looking for Good Rifle Range in LA/OC

Greetings Fellow Calgunners -

I'm looking for some recommendations for a good rifle range. I live in south LA county, less than 5 miles away from the Orange County line, so any rifle range in south LA county/north OC would be great. Ideally it's one that has a pistol and shotgun range as well. I currently have a 9MM, .22, and AR variant, so most indoor ranges will let me use the 9MM and .22, but I'd like to get out and shoot my AR more in a proper range. I have a 12 gauge on my shopping list, and when I finally get that I'd like to take it out as well. I'm also looking for a range/club that I can become a member of at the beginning of 2014.

I've heard Burro Canyon is good. It's a bit far from me, but I also understand that being in the urban area I'm in, the space for a rifle range is rare, so if that's the best all-around, I'll head over there. I was just hoping for something a bit closer. I'd love to hear opinions of more experienced Calgunners.

Also, on a side note: when I Googled Burro Canyon, the link to their official site came up on the top of the search results. I clicked on the link (using Chrome) and Google told me that the site could harm my computer. I typed in their URL in Firefox, and no problem. Anyone experienced this? Could Google be trying to dissuade people from visiting the site because it's gun related? Or could there actually be a problem, and I've just got my tinfoil hat on too tight?

Last edited by AmishArmorer; 08-25-2013 at 2:52 PM.. Reason: Made title more descriptive
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2013, 2:38 PM
AmishArmorer AmishArmorer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishArmorer View Post
Also, on a side note: when I Googled Burro Canyon, the link to their official site came up on the top of the search results. I clicked on the link (using Chrome) and Google told me that the site could harm my computer. I typed in their URL in Firefox, and no problem. Anyone experienced this? Could Google be trying to dissuade people from visiting the site because it's gun related? Or could there actually be a problem, and I've just got my tinfoil hat on too tight?
Actually, Firefox flagged it, also. Looks like there might actually be a security issue with their site. Just FYI.

Anyway...should I give them my money, or are there better/closer places to do some long gun shooting?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2013, 2:56 PM
caferacer's Avatar
caferacer caferacer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 154
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I'm fairly certain you can shoot both rifles and shotguns at LAX Firing Range. It's been a while since I've been there, so maybe someone else can chime in to confirm...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2013, 3:10 PM
Syntax Error's Avatar
Syntax Error Syntax Error is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West LA
Posts: 2,243
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

Yes, you can shoot rifles at LAX range. Technically, if they sell ammo for the rifle, you have to buy their ammo, but if it's something obscure enough, they usually let you shoot your own ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2013, 3:23 PM
AmishArmorer AmishArmorer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thank you for the info. Do you happen to have an idea of how much LAX's ammo costs over what I might be able to find elsewhere? And do they also require you to buy their handgun/shotgun ammo?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2013, 3:34 PM
CSACANNONEER's Avatar
CSACANNONEER CSACANNONEER is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 40,883
iTrader: 125 / 100%
Blog Entries: 4
Default

I prefer Angeles to other public outdoor rifle ranges in the area. They have good solid benches and steel out to 600yds.
__________________
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor


Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2013, 3:36 PM
bill_k_lopez bill_k_lopez is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,839
iTrader: 20 / 95%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishArmorer View Post
Thank you for the info. Do you happen to have an idea of how much LAX's ammo costs over what I might be able to find elsewhere? And do they also require you to buy their handgun/shotgun ammo?
Would you like someone to go shoot your guns for you as well?

Here are a few helpful links for you.

Shooting Ranges, Los Angeles


LAX Firing Range Los Angeles
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2013, 3:42 PM
kygen's Avatar
kygen kygen is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The People's Socialist Republic of Los Angeles
Posts: 2,920
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

ohhh google san, how much is 7.62x39 ammo at LAX
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse700 View Post
I have to wait until all the info is in before I make a statement. Obviously the family dogs had it coming.... other than that, waiting on more info.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2013, 4:01 PM
AmishArmorer AmishArmorer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I was asking only because their site doesn't seem to have ammo prices listed. I found plenty of range names on Google, but I thought I might ask around for people's recommendations, since I find voices of experience to often be more valuable than raw information.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-30-2013, 1:45 AM
Dale Landan Dale Landan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

You might try the Desertmarksmen Rufle and Pistol Club (drmpc.org) we have a pretty nice range graduated to 600 yars main range seperate pistol areas for self def. bulls eye pistol, Tactical pistol. We have several different rile matchs held monthly we also have a camping area for members must bring your own water though, we don't have any there.We are located off of Angeles Forest hiway one and a half mile in through a locked Gate security guard on duty every week end we also have a 40 shoot black powder shoot the first Sunday of the month this is for trad. rifles only ( no in lines). check out the web site and try us out. Dale Landan Black powder disapline head.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-30-2013, 6:15 AM
kdruff2's Avatar
kdruff2 kdruff2 is offline
Senior Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,231
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

You can shoot everything you have at Angeles Shooting Range (ASR). There are steel targets for your 9mm &22lr to plink at 25-50yds). Rifles go all the way out to 600 yds.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-30-2013, 8:04 AM
pigpen66m's Avatar
pigpen66m pigpen66m is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hawthorne
Posts: 1,026
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishArmorer View Post
Thank you for the info. Do you happen to have an idea of how much LAX's ammo costs over what I might be able to find elsewhere? And do they also require you to buy their handgun/shotgun ammo?
You don't have to buy their handgun ammo. Their a little prices for reloads are about the same for factory ammo elsewhere. As stated above depending on what rifle caliber you have they may let you shoot your own ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-30-2013, 9:02 AM
crazychinaman crazychinaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Bay/LAX
Posts: 1,510
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

There is also Lyle creek off the 215 north.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2013, 6:49 AM
Mail Clerk Mail Clerk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,102
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishArmorer View Post
Greetings Fellow Calgunners -

I'm looking for some recommendations for a good rifle range. I live in south LA county, less than 5 miles away from the Orange County line, so any rifle range in south LA county/north OC would be great. Ideally it's one that has a pistol and shotgun range as well. I currently have a 9MM, .22, and AR variant, so most indoor ranges will let me use the 9MM and .22, but I'd like to get out and shoot my AR more in a proper range. I have a 12 gauge on my shopping list, and when I finally get that I'd like to take it out as well. I'm also looking for a range/club that I can become a member of at the beginning of 2014.

I've heard Burro Canyon is good. It's a bit far from me, but I also understand that being in the urban area I'm in, the space for a rifle range is rare, so if that's the best all-around, I'll head over there. I was just hoping for something a bit closer. I'd love to hear opinions of more experienced Calgunners.

Also, on a side note: when I Googled Burro Canyon, the link to their official site came up on the top of the search results. I clicked on the link (using Chrome) and Google told me that the site could harm my computer. I typed in their URL in Firefox, and no problem. Anyone experienced this? Could Google be trying to dissuade people from visiting the site because it's gun related? Or could there actually be a problem, and I've just got my tinfoil hat on too tight?
AmishArmorer,

It depends on what type of shooting you like to do. For overall shooting needs I suggest you head to Angeles Range. It has a little bit of everything you'll need. Now a days there's very few ranges left thanks to all the dirty California politics regarding us shooters and a nice safe place to relax and shoot a bit.

If your like me who likes bench rest shooting all day for accuracy the best I liked was the San Gabriel Valley Shooting Club BUT that's been gone for a number of years!

I've tried Burro Canyon a number of years ago also but I didn't like it much cuz for bench rest shooting it leaves NOT much to be desired. All I saw was just left over tables found and used as junk for usage

Again the best place for serious shooting is Angeles cuz basically it's the obly place around that reasonably close. For blasting only head to Burro.

Mail Clerk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 AM
crazychinaman crazychinaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Bay/LAX
Posts: 1,510
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

come and meet other Calgunners at the Burro Canyon BBQ shoot the Sept 28 Sat.On the private range.This way you can shoot pistols,rifles and shotguns at once.I will be there ,The USC canopy guy.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 AM
mod1217's Avatar
mod1217 mod1217 is offline
Patent Pending
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 364
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Angeles shooting range is the place for me if I am into just sighting my rifle and stretching out a bit in there 600 yard range,

Burro I only go there when shooting in private ranges.

A Place to Shoot. a really nice place to shoot have dedicated ranges for pistol, shootgun, skeet, rifles, so prety much it have you cover.
http://www.aplacetoshoot.net/

Firing Line, Indoor range that accept almost all kinds of firearm. The place is really High Tech but the ranges only goes out 25 yards. But still a very nice place to shoot.
http://www.firingline.net/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Rrhookup's Avatar
Rrhookup Rrhookup is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

AmishArmorer,

LAX range recently opened up their own ammo website at:

www.laxammo.com

Prices are listed there as well. Good luck!

Last edited by Rrhookup; 09-18-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-22-2013, 5:51 AM
Black_Talon's Avatar
Black_Talon Black_Talon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SoCal - SGV
Posts: 2,264
iTrader: 71 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail Clerk View Post

If your like me who likes bench rest shooting all day for accuracy the best I liked was the San Gabriel Valley Shooting Club BUT that's been gone for a number of years!

I've tried Burro Canyon a number of years ago also but I didn't like it much cuz for bench rest shooting it leaves NOT much to be desired. All I saw was just left over tables found and used as junk for usage
Burro Canyon has had fairly substantial wood+steel benches on the rifle line for 5-6 years now. Rifle line is also a concrete slab covered with a wood roof. Benches are 2" thick wood tops on a 4" diameter tube steel framework so they are pretty darn stable for benchrest shooting.

Burro also has the advantage of having a level range so that you don't have to shim up your rests and bags for shooting uphill, like you have to at Angeles.

Mail Clerk, as a fellow benchrest shooter (rimfire and centerfie) I suggest that you give Burro Canyon another chance, I suspect that you'll be pleased. Come early in the morning though, as the wind gets pretty intense as the day progresses.
__________________


When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:39 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.