Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHa View Post
@Kensei: Parallax should have the same pricing for transfer as Wiserowl.
http://parallaxtactical.com/pages/transfer-pricing

I totally love Jeff @ Parallax since he has to deal with my bombardment of multiple emails of random questions.
those are parallax's prices on top of DROS.
wiser owl did $35 any ppt or online xfer including dros.

parallax still has some of the best prices... some ffl's want over $100!

-Armand
Sent from my NSA tracking device
Old 09-03-2013, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
That's correct.

FWIW, the PWG range is the second one. What do you want to know? It will be in Poway and is coming this winter. It will be a family friendly environment and they will teach home defense courses and some other other courses geared toward making a "non-gun" person more comfortable with a firearm. It will be a range, and there will be a retail store. They will not have ridiculous fees.
I was looking for some basic info - i.e. prices, hours, etc. Do they have a website up?
Old 09-03-2013, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebgold View Post
I 2nd for Royal.
I was in the market for a g17 and happen to find them on a web search and they had 2 OD G17's in stock. The next day they has one less thanks to me.

Good guys very helpfull no drama. What more can you ask?
I'll third for Royal. My dad and I have both bought a firearm from them. Awesome, friendly, and knowledgeable staff. They also have a nice lay-away program. I ended up walking out of there with some nice power tools too
Old 09-03-2013, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Gee View Post
I was looking for some basic info - i.e. prices, hours, etc. Do they have a website up?
I'm not sure of the prices and don't remember the hours. I think they're looking at being open 10 hours a day. No website yet that I know of.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 PM

DAS and Parallax have both been great to work with. You cannot walk out of DAS w/o handling a pistol or rifle. If you don't see it, ask and you will get a price and lead time for most items. I prefer DAS for SSE transactions. Parallax has the better selection for the AR builder. Again, if you don't see it, ask.

Best service does not occur on Tues or Sat, these are the busiest days. Go at lunch time on a Wed and you will have the best experience.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
- Thomas Paine, The Crisis
Old 09-09-2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Glock Store is exceptional for customer service
Been there twice, no parking either time - won't go back. I like Fine Firearms in La Mesa - nice staff, good selection of guns...

Dan K.
Old 09-10-2013, 2:12 PM

I asked how much their yearly membership is going to be - around $500 is the response i got.

Quote:
Old 09-10-2013, 2:18 PM

I actually found the website for PWG range. Here is the link to their prices:

http://weaponsandgearrange.com/membership-annual.php
Old 09-10-2013, 2:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfromsd View Post
I actually found the website for PWG range. Here is the link to their prices:

http://weaponsandgearrange.com/membership-annual.php
Thanks, I saw that before and that is exceptionally overpriced in my opinion.
My wife and I are both members at ASC and we pay $400 for both of us for the year. As I said in another thread it's not the nicest range around but for putting holes in paper it does just fine.
I was inquiring about the "other" range that is purportedly going to open in Poway this year.
Old 09-10-2013, 3:04 PM

PWG said the other range isn't happening since the 41 lane range is going in.

Quote:
Thanks, I saw that before and that is exceptionally overpriced in my opinion.
My wife and I are both members at ASC and we pay $400 for both of us for the year. As I said in another thread it's not the nicest range around but for putting holes in paper it does just fine.
I was inquiring about the "other" range that is purportedly going to open in Poway this year.
Old 09-10-2013, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
looks like i won't be shooting in Poway anytime ever

-Armand

Sent from my Apple Galaxy
Old 09-10-2013, 4:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This thread confuses me and contradicts itself since another poster in this thread said it was. maybe PWG was spewing more FUD?
Damn you, internets!

Old 09-10-2013, 4:36 PM

There seems to be links about 2 ranges - not sure if they cancelled the smaller one:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...Poway-council/

That's the smaller one, different place, existing building...
Old 09-10-2013, 8:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Parallax - Awesome, staff, good prices and customer service is great. They even installed a part for me free of charge that wasn't even bought there. didn't even ask. Just asked for a quote and he said he'd do it free

Poway - These guys are certified at everything they do. Prices are slight high, but you get what you pay for. They're super nice guys, all you have to do is talk to them. I've spent hours in there just talking about anything from guns to life. The guy who seems quiet is just quiet until you get him talking. The taller gentleman with the tattoos is usually in the back working on firearms.

Glock Store - Accessories are slightly high, but not too bad. Prices on glocks are terrific although they are all on back order. Staff is super nice, few hotties that work there as well.

Police Gear Place - Older guy is a complete dick. I was asking about a few firearms and asking to see them. Another customer walks in that he knows and instantly handles his business and ignores mine. I was about to talk out with a gun, not anymore. The younger guys are super nice. Avoid the old fart.

Duncan - Great gunsmiths

Turners San Marcos - Losts of selection and great staff. Ask for Dale, he's a buddy and is awesome!
Old 09-14-2013, 5:49 PM
Banned

ASC is probably the worst place in SD. I drive the extra 10 minutes to go to Iron Sights.

North County Firearms is good. Priced a little high but a great staff. Along with DAS and Parallax.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Rat View Post
ASC is probably the worst place in SD. I drive the extra 10 minutes to go to Iron Sights.

North County Firearms is good. Priced a little high but a great staff. Along with DAS and Parallax.
ASC is fine. I'm there a lot and never had a bad experience or saw anyone treated badly. One LOE type wanted special treatment and was politely refused, so he was the ***. Only square range I've visited in SD that allows work out of a holster if you show you are safe.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 PM

I am a member at ASC and never had a problem. Been treated really well everytime I walk in. Yes it gets crowded sometimes and they don't necessarily handle crowds well. I was looking at a Ruger single 6 a few months ago. They were out of 22 ammo and had their Ruger 6 range gun put away. One of the guys dug out an old box of 22 shorts, gave me a target, and pulled the single six out of the cabinet. Didn't charge me a cent and told me to come back with my Ruger LCR and my own ammo if I want to try it again.

Parallax is great, never had a bad time in there unless it was crowded and I was in a hurry. Their prices are excellent. They helped me build up my AR and answered all my dumb questions with sincerity (Been shooting for almost 40 years but I'm still new to the AR platform).

I have had great experiences in Poway. I agree with the other post that you just have to talk to the guys. I've picked up a few cases of ammo there over the past few months.
Old 09-21-2013, 5:22 PM

TDS guns in Bonita is good to go. Small store. lots of rifles and assorted long guns on the wall. The staff have been friendly when I stopped in. True story my cousin came 15 minutes till closing to do the handgun safety quiz and surprisingly the staff was still helpful and still friendly! Was pretty impressed because I Know most would be in shut down mode.
Old 09-22-2013, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustdontknow View Post
I am a member at ASC and never had a problem. Been treated really well everytime I walk in. Yes it gets crowded sometimes and they don't necessarily handle crowds well. I was looking at a Ruger single 6 a few months ago. They were out of 22 ammo and had their Ruger 6 range gun put away. One of the guys dug out an old box of 22 shorts, gave me a target, and pulled the single six out of the cabinet. Didn't charge me a cent and told me to come back with my Ruger LCR and my own ammo if I want to try it again.

Parallax is great, never had a bad time in there unless it was crowded and I was in a hurry. Their prices are excellent. They helped me build up my AR and answered all my dumb questions with sincerity (Been shooting for almost 40 years but I'm still new to the AR platform).

I have had great experiences in Poway. I agree with the other post that you just have to talk to the guys. I've picked up a few cases of ammo there over the past few months.
I think those are the key words there. Since becoming a member there I've been treated a step above than when I was just a walk in client. Membership does have its privileges.

Parallax is great too. They did a SSE and handled a out of state transfer for me and in both cases they did a great job with communication and and keeping me happy. It even surprised me that Jeff S greeted me by name the last time I came in. That's how to keep loyal customers.
Old 09-22-2013, 2:10 PM

Quote:
DGM in Santee is ok - I don't like the "pay by the hour" range rates but the staff seems friendly enough.
Monday through Thursday is usually not busy and they usually wave the hourly charge.
Old 10-07-2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Well, this seems as good a time as any to let you all know that the other Poway Range, San Diego Firearms Training Center, is under construction and will be opening sometime around December 1 with an initial ten lanes. We haven't set our prices yet, but I can tell you that they will be much lower than what PWG will be charging, and we will have the nicest range in San Diego.
Old 10-07-2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
It is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
looks like i won't be shooting in Poway anytime ever

-Armand

You will.

Quote:
This thread confuses me and contradicts itself since another poster in this thread said it was. maybe PWG was spewing more FUD?
Damn you, internets!

It's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
There seems to be links about 2 ranges - not sure if they cancelled the smaller one:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...Poway-council/

That's the smaller one, different place, existing building...
It isn't cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoFirearms View Post
Well, this seems as good a time as any to let you all know that the other Poway Range, San Diego Firearms Training Center, is under construction and will be opening sometime around December 1 with an initial ten lanes. We haven't set our prices yet, but I can tell you that they will be much lower than what PWG will be charging, and we will have the nicest range in San Diego.
Very happy to see you posting in here. As you can see there is a lot of interest.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

sweet! unless of course I move to temecula... which is very likely. either way I'll have to check it out!

-Armand

Old 10-08-2013, 2:36 AM

There seems to be a lot of overly sensitive mamsy pansy gun shoppers in so cal. You are shopping for weapons, not man purses. I've been to most of these places and never had any problems. Sure some stores have more chatty and sociable sales people, that's great and all, but when I go looking for my next killing machine, all that matters is who gots what I want.
Old 10-08-2013, 3:13 AM

I've had good experiences with DGM Morena and with Parralax, but there was one time I went to Parralax and asked for 2 AR mags; I didn't pay attention as she took them down and put them in the bag. When I got home, I realized they were H&K mags, but that was just as much my fault as theirs, plus they gave me no problems when I took them back.

DGM on Morena had several types of ammo that were scarce during the scare, and kept their prices fair.

There's also a newer place on Miramar Rd that seems decent. Been there a couple times, but have only bought a couple accessories, but they had lowers at fair prices when nobody else had them, or were charging retarded prices, and the people there are friendly. Can't remember the name of the place.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
Can't remember the name of the place.
Big Shot?
Old 10-10-2013, 7:44 PM

I'm dropping some books off at a friend's house and Iron Sights isn't too far away, I think I can make it there by 10 or 11 on Saturday. Does anyone with experience going there on weekends know if I should expect a long wait for a lane? Thanks!
Old 10-10-2013, 7:49 PM

Used to be by lines - but the cost of ammo has thinned the herd. Did that last Sunday - no wait at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 10-10-2013, 7:53 PM

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2013, 5:17 PM

This is great, I just moved to North County this month.
I now have a checklist of where to to check out.
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

turners is still my go-to for pricing...

for ppt or web-xfers, try Paul Johnson Co (Paul Johnson Police Supply) in escondido... a btlit long-winded but you will probably leave having learned something new

-Armand

Old 10-13-2013, 10:29 AM

DGM in Santee has always been good to me. Always helpful and not overbearing. Range is clean and usually pretty quiet.
Old 10-14-2013, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaeris View Post
Big Shot?
Could be. It's relatively new. The first time I went in, they hardly had anything because they had just opened. I went in about 5 months ago, and they had a decent stock, including a bunch of lowers when nobody else had any. I was trying to get some 10 round mags for my XDm, and the guy who helped me was really friendly.
Old 10-14-2013, 6:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCharger619 View Post
TDS guns in Bonita is good to go. Small store. lots of rifles and assorted long guns on the wall. The staff have been friendly when I stopped in. True story my cousin came 15 minutes till closing to do the handgun safety quiz and surprisingly the staff was still helpful and still friendly! Was pretty impressed because I Know most would be in shut down mode.
would strongly disagree. TDS' CalGuns account is proof enough. I've been there more than a few times (enough for TJ to know my name). I've twice requested specific items that they didn't carry, TJ or someone else, took down my name, number and item info and a year later, still have not gotten a call from them. My favorite shop is a 40 minute drive, Colby has always been accommodating and chatty with me even when I'm not buying anything.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Chief Dispeller of FUD
CGN Contributor

One thing I will add -- while expensive, DGM morena, even during the shortage, and certainly now, had a large supply of ammo in early every caliber every time I went. Even some 22lr.

Last edited by SC_SD; 10-14-2013 at 11:14 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 7:31 PM

Tds guns in bonita is really bad too, well just the girl that works there ive been there a couple times and got stuck with her and her attitude, seems like im a bother when asking her for help....
Old 11-06-2013, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
Could be. It's relatively new. The first time I went in, they hardly had anything because they had just opened. I went in about 5 months ago, and they had a decent stock, including a bunch of lowers when nobody else had any. I was trying to get some 10 round mags for my XDm, and the guy who helped me was really friendly.
A little pricey, but good people there - Team Big Shot. they're new in that location and stock fluctuates a lot. They've been adding a lot to the store so displays etc are filling up! I bought my XD9 and Remington shotgun there.

Old 11-07-2013, 1:15 AM

A buddy and I went to Iron Sights over the weekend to test drive a few pistols we were considering buying. We had great service from everybody except the younger, soft, ex-military looking guy. My buddy said he was interested in picking up an SR9 and using their rental and the guy had him go search the case for it while he just stood there. When my buddy couldn't find one, he asked if he could order one and the clerk said no. He then said IS is more of a range than a gun shop and that was the end of it. Figured we'd take our business elsewhere. My buddy walked into Turner's Kearny Mesa the next day and picked one up.

Parallax is awesome. I have done transfers with them including the SR9 I just ordered (apparently I have skills the guy at IS lacks) and Jeff responded to my email in less than an hour. Knowing the SR9 falls of the roster in less than 3 weeks, I was extremely grateful to get such a quick response. I know my transfer is in good hands. Parallax also pinned my flash hider on a recent AR build. Quality work. I will be going through their sister company San Diego Cerakote to get my SR9 done when it comes in.

The SD police range is awesome if you are willing to shoot at a set 25yds. I think they close at 4, but I like that I can go in early on a Saturday, pay my $10, shoot for an hour or two, go have lunch, come back, and shoot some more.

South Bay is a hell of a drive, but well worth it when you wanna shoot out past 100yds. The RO's are volunteers as far as I know and all really good guys. At $25 for the day though, you may as well spend the $100 and get the whole year. I was also told this last weekend they will be adding more lanes to their rifle range to limit the impact of competitions taking up range time. They also have trap and pistol ranges as well as an all-purpose range out to 100yds.

ASC as everybody knows gets slammed. I've never really felt either way about the service, but I can't say I've had a bad experience. One benefit to the location is LE and military guys bring in quite a bit of eye candy.
Old 11-07-2013, 6:55 AM

Socal guns does leave plenty to be desired. While they seemed to be well stocked on both guns and ammo their policies/customer service isn't that great. I walked in and roamed the store without acknowledgement. I left the store and returned with another member who was selling me a gun for a PPT. They said it might be a wait. The guy who helped us stated that they "prioritize" their customers. Now, I understand there isn't any money in it for the FFL to do a PPT and they are prohibited by law from charging more, but man that was a terrible feeling to walk in there asking for them to complete the transaction. Made me feel like I was the one being unreasonable. To top it off, they said they cannot keep the gun in the factory case for storage and made me take it and all the accessories with me when I left.

I went there before the "re-opening". They were *******s then, and they are *******s now. I just wanted to give them a second chance since I like to support LGS's.
Old 11-07-2013, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsouls View Post
I second the below recommendations. Good experiences at both locations.

Fine Firearms of La Mesa - Calguns supporter (good customer service / very knowledgeable)

P2K Range in El Cajon - Strong Calguns/CGSSA supporter (good customer service / good selection / well kept range / hosts SD Chapter Events)
these two are great.
i frequent the DGM in santee all the time for 22 plinking and their range price is cheap. P2k as the best facility BY FAR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
we never had the problems in CA till the whiteys took over. We used to hunt, fish, roam, then they showed up and wanted to be civilized.............Ruined it for everyone!