Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns For the private sale of rifles, shotguns and other long guns. Read the rules before posting.

View Poll Results: How would you prefer the Marketplace forums to be laid out
'Original Recipe', all in one big forum 166 21.67%
Split by firearm type (Handgun/Long gun) 225 29.37%
Split by location, geographic line 257 33.55%
Split by location, seller based determination 118 15.40%
Voters: 766. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1to3 View Post
Really, you are basically calling me lazy due to preference to see the listings in a way where i dont have to spend hours to find out if there are only 3 things available in my area? Nice

Im perfectly happy with long gun and hand gun being in one thread section... as I usually am interested in both. However Ive spent over an hour searching through all of the listings to find only 3 things fit what im looking for and in my region. Yes, id like to save time! ive found tons of listings that i would like, that happened to be over 8 hours from me... therefore useless to me unless i want to drive/fly to get it (twice if i have another 10 day wait.)

So breaking it up into new sections will save you more time?? Tell me how? Lets just section everything off into Modern Era Weaponary, C&R, then within that rimfire, centerfire, and within that magazine feed, and tube feed, all for the sake of you not "wasting" your time, maybe also foreign , and split inside of those within that too for location , that would be so awesome , so may different threads because, boohoo what I wanted is too far away, and I had to use a map.

Last edited by Equis; 09-17-2013 at 3:49 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1to3 View Post
Really, you are basically calling me lazy due to preference to see the listings in a way where i dont have to spend hours to find out if there are only 3 things available in my area? Nice

Im perfectly happy with long gun and hand gun being in one thread section... as I usually am interested in both. However Ive spent over an hour searching through all of the listings to find only 3 things fit what im looking for and in my region. Yes, id like to save time! ive found tons of listings that i would like, that happened to be over 8 hours from me... therefore useless to me unless i want to drive/fly to get it (twice if i have another 10 day wait.)
You're also assuming 100% of members will actually post in the correct thread, as it was they had plenty of "location ?" follow ups already. Face palm that.
Old 09-17-2013, 3:50 PM

No likey. Geo-split no good either, as those near the line will have to browse both...plus some people ship...and some deals are worth traveling for.
Old 09-17-2013, 4:11 PM

The split will be good after people get use to it. Buyers need not search through unrelated posts. Zip code search with radius option would be great.

from inside the Jungle
Old 09-17-2013, 4:42 PM

it would be amazing if the buyer could filter ads to only selected counties
Old 09-18-2013, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equis View Post
So breaking it up into new sections will save you more time?? Tell me how? Lets just section everything off into Modern Era Weaponary, C&R, then within that rimfire, centerfire, and within that magazine feed, and tube feed, all for the sake of you not "wasting" your time, maybe also foreign , and split inside of those within that too for location , that would be so awesome , so may different threads because, boohoo what I wanted is too far away, and I had to use a map.

You're also assuming 100% of members will actually post in the correct thread, as it was they had plenty of "location ?" follow ups already. Face palm that.
Equis, whats your beef? You (seem) to be responding/making-fun /attacking (at least to my post) with more emotion than i would expect from a typical CG'er.

Here's my take...
The purpose of the "Private Firearm sales" threads are too...
A. Help a member sell a legal gun they dont want anymore
B. Help members buy something they are looking for

It seems to me, if this is the purpose of the links to do what the community can to help them sell/find the item, as that is what the thread is for. If these threads are separated by location, instead of long/hand, it seems to me more people will see things they actually might buy. Its possible some members love looking through all the pages (and pages, and pages) of items for sale, however I would guess people would like the chance to see only what they are looking for or what they are likely to go get. Of course, nobody wants 52 threads on selling... at least I dont think so? However a simple regional selling (NorCal, MidCal, SoCal) thread might help. (with or without the removal of hand/long options??) At the moment a slight vote lead goes to regional threads.

If someone is willing to pick up something 8 hours away, then my assumption is they would be willing to sift through the other threads. Obviously, mislabeled posts will happen, as experience tells me people will make mistakes and some people just don't read or follow directions. (if they want to sell something, its up to them to get it listed correct.)

I can't imagine most people want to spend hours looking through the threads to find something. If people do, please post to let me know you love to spend hours searching. (Not judging, just wondering)

Of course, if the purpose of the selling threads is not to sell, then this doesn't matter.

The thread is for suggestions and opinions on how to give the site more capability (or what might make searching easier) for selling/finding items. Im suggesting one thing would help me, and possibly others. You seem to be suggesting you want 1 thread for everything or "boohoo" to those who want to save time. Im offering a way that might help everyone, thats all.

(I wont be replying to you anymore, as I dont think it helps CG get better, so enjoy whatever last word you want.)

Have fun CG'ers. Keep contacting the Gov. and we can hope some of these bills don't pass.

Last edited by 1to3; 09-18-2013 at 7:02 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Default Don't Change.

While I'm wandering around in long guns, some guy is snatching up a bargain in handguns.
I thought the classifieds were good just as they were.
I don't believe in change just for the sake of change...As others have said, "If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-21-2013, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso grande View Post
While I'm wandering around in long guns, some guy is snatching up a bargain in handguns.
I thought the classifieds were good just as they were.
I don't believe in change just for the sake of change...As others have said, "If it aint broke, don't fix it.
That's pretty much one of my upsets, as I looked at handguns, someone is getting a sweet deal in long guns when it should of been me!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPatriot View Post
Location in title mandatory.
^^^ this
Delete anything with no location in title
Old 09-25-2013, 4:52 PM

None of the above.

Create a database with basic level SQL interface with validated text fields, with searchable, sortable and calculated columns.

Agreed this would be a bigger project than you had anticipated, but this will streamline listings for both buyers and sellers, and potential buyers won't have to sift and search through 100's of listings before finding the right one. Probably you'll need to hire a DB guy - but trust me this one-time cleanup will serve all for years to come. This will put you in the league with the big-boys.

Fixed columns that are sortable and most importantly searchable. For instance fields like –
Firearm Type : <validate field> Handgun, Rifle, Lower, Derringer , etc……
Manufacturer : <validated field>
Model : <free form> or could be a validated but it may be too much research to create a repository
Caliber : <validated field>
Price : <currency format>
Year : <yyyy format>
Zip Code : <validated field> <calculated> using users current login zip and distance between two zips (shows distance in User Interface)
Will Ship : <binary>
All this information will be in each separate columns and users will be able to search using a key word on any one or all the fields.
An optional advanced query can also be setup which will allow users to specify how to handle null values, create combination of columns, use ‘does not equal’ and wildcards.

Then you’ll have the free form field where the sellers will update other useful/useless information.
Pictures can be uploaded (limited by your server capacity) or allow html inputs of external images.
All postings will auto-expire in 14 days (unless renewed) and be removed – so no more “please delete” and chasing listings that are sold.
Using zip code has many other benefits – like plotting listings on a map view and letting buyers decide where they are willing to travel to get what they like.
Just by adding another column like (New or Used) you could combine private sales and retail sales in one single master market place.

So for instance if I’m looking for something in particular I can have my query such as : “Kimber 1911, specially chambered in 9mm, price between $750 - $900, distance <50 miles”.
I guess what I’m saying is something like eBay-Motors style listing setup.

No more worrying about forum posting rules, bumping, deleting, updating, monitoring and modding and all that lame stuff – heck you could even charge a nominal $5 or so per entry.

Chew on it.

Thanks for listening (reading).
Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 PM

Default Decision

I like the idea of handgun/long gun split and making it mandatory people either update their profile to reflect location instead of the common "Kommie Kalifornia" or posting in the title thread the person's County (SB, LA, SD, etc.).
Old 09-26-2013, 8:57 PM

A North South split would be great. I've looked at some ads that interest me only to find out I'd have to drive 4+ hours one way to get it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
Old 09-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn't care whether long guns/pistols were separate or combined as long as sellers were required to put a location in the title in order to post their sale thread.
Old 10-14-2013, 3:24 PM

I suggest leaving it the old way, or split Long Guns/Handguns, but make mandatory including location in the heading! E.g. Inland Empire, SF Bay Area, Greater LA, San Diego, etc. Please keep in mind that "shipping" adds approx. $100 to the cost of the firearm, and some dealers won't even do it. Also, if shipped from an FFL, the receiving dealer has to add tax! No thank you, shipping is the last resort, a sign of desperation! But let's do it, one way or another, so we know where we stand and sort out our ads.

Any date set for decision?

Thank you,

USStanley
Old 10-14-2013, 3:40 PM

To further belabor it some more, NorCal/SoCal doesn't help much. I live in Eureka (not really and I'm surely not going to drive to Fresno twice to buy a gun! Makes sense? I see one more suggestion of putting the locale in the title instead, and possibly leaving it the old way. Most of us like, have and trade both long guns and handguns (E.g. I just traded a handgun for a Ruger Mini...) and want to see them both anyway, having them both in one place saves time. Long guns, handguns, even air guns and flare guns, are guns.

Thank you,

USStanley
Old 10-14-2013, 4:58 PM

my suggestion is "tags"

when posting, the author can put one or tages in the title.

such as

[Sacramento][Long Gun] Remington 700 .308

if you click the tags, all the threads with the same tag will show up

this is not really my idea. a bunch of other forums have them
Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

I've been reading the setup since it changed and I think it's a big
improvement. Certainly better then before. Pete
The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Default Marketplace Layout

It seems to work fine the way it is; If people put their location in the post, you can find things easily through the "search" option and narrow down what you are after.
Old 11-22-2013, 3:22 PM

Split by location - geographic lines. Seems like anything good is always in Southern California. At least this would help weed out the non-local listings.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:53 AM

Make it so each page shows 250 entries instead of just 50. This will mitigate the "my ad just got pushed off the first page in 30 minutes" problem.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 PM
CGN Contributor

Easiest way, Keep it the way it is Long guns/ Handguns but change the thread header layout from
Item, Location, Will Ship/No Shipping
to
City [not area like LA or Bay], [Ship] Y/N, Firearm
example:
Modesto, N, Colt M16A1
Then folks can clearly see down the line, and none of (WTS/T), (FS), (BNIB), (*), (...) or words not related to the actual firearm e.g. price drop, safe queen, extras, best deal ever or similar.
Leave all that other info for the description. Make the board look nice and organized.
Old 11-30-2013, 1:30 AM
Veteran Member

There was nothing wrong with the way it was before. Keep handguns and long guns together and don't split the state up "north vs. south". There was nothing wrong with the way it was before. Although I tend to buy/sell/trade in NorCal only, I like seeing what prices firearms are going for throughout the entire state.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:57 AM

What about by Region?
Sac Valley
Bay Area
Los Angeles
Gold Country
Northern CA (or Redding Area)

Still very general but handy for searching in surrounding areas instead of by a particular city (I may be willing to travel for the right deal).
Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 AM

I like the handgun/long gun split.

Although I do get a little frusterated when I read through an entire ad and then find "WILL NOT SHIP" I might as well have read an ad from New York.
If it were possible to require location and will or won't ship in the title or even the first line of the ad so we can just run the curser over it and move on if the seller is 200 miles away with a "won't ship" status.

just a thought.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 PM

The poll reflects a definitive 32.23% preference for a Marketplace layout that is "Split by location, geographic line". When is this going to be implemented? Most of the ads are for PPTs that will not ship to an FFL anyway, so this new format will make it more expedient for buyers to sift through these and find something local.
Old 01-29-2014, 6:31 AM

While you're at it split it by rifle/shotgun/pistol/revolver.
Quote:
"Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?" Stephen Hunter
Old 02-01-2014, 3:49 PM

Default Item Location

I think it would be wise if you went back to the old method, that a location should be stated in the heading. That would help people navigate quicker through ads when looking for a particular item. Just my $0.02

Old 02-02-2014, 3:41 PM

Location divided between Northern and Southern CA with Bakersfield being the dividing line. I'm sick of seeing so many awesome deals only to find out they're all the way up in Fresno or something.

And we need to split the long gun forum into one for rimfire rifles, centerfire rifles, and shotguns. Handguns should be split into one for autos and one for revolvers.

Do it this way and I assure you people would be much happier because I'm so tired of seeing nothing but overpriced AR-15's in the forums.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti View Post
Location divided between Northern and Southern CA with Bakersfield being the dividing line.
If sellers weren't so paranoid about shipping, it wouldn't matter were they were.
Old 02-04-2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso grande View Post
If sellers weren't so paranoid about shipping, it wouldn't matter were they were.
I suppose but honestly a lot of people just don't want to deal with the hassle... I realize it isn't THAT bad... but eh...
Old 02-20-2014, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
Voted: Split by firearm type (Handgun/Long gun)

Mandatory Location (County) in the title or automatic deleted/locked. People who can follow simple instructions tend to be better marketplace users IMO.

If seller has combo of long/hand gun, the burden is on him to post in the appropriate section. It's easier for a seller to copy/paste most of the info (terms, location etc) then it is for buyers to sift and sift through the ads.

eta: or go back to the old way and ENFORCE "location in the title" requirement.
This. Split handguns / long guns. I don't have all day to read through offers I'm not interested in in the first place. I have specific interests and assume I'm not alone in this. Then have a mandatory location posting. I can now weed things out. The old system was just too cumbersome. Which ever way this goes, PLEASE do not go back there!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:53 AM

I like the way you have it now. The only thing I'd like you to consider is if you should split out semi-auto rifles from others (e.g. bolt rifles). If I'm looking for a bolt rifle I have to sift through a lot of AR's to find what I'm looking for. Same for shotguns I suppose. Breaking them out might increase their sales because buyers can focus on what is in there.
The counter argument is that keeping them all together helps support 'impulse buys' but I don't know how often that happens.
B
Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Divide Southern and Northern makes it so much easier on us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2014, 10:44 PM

I'm easy on the layout, if the search function was more efficient. I get so many unrelated results from my search requests that I gave up using it. Would prefer some effort spent on tightening up the search function.

IMHO
Old 05-18-2014, 6:52 AM

Like most shopping sites these days, I suggest having boxes to check to filter results. Some examples would be:
Picture attached
Pistol
Rifle
Bolt Action
Semi-Auto
C&R
New
Used
Northern Cali
Southern Cali
Central Cali
Shipping available
9mm
.40 cal
38 Special
357 Magnum
12 Gauge
20 Gauge
etc.
Old 06-03-2014, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Good start. O & U. SxS, Semi-auto shotgun. For make and model I prefer search though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 06-04-2014, 7:10 AM

Keep it simple:

Rifles - NorCal
Rifles - SoCal
Handguns - NorCal
Handguns - SoCal

Let the Central Valley be the dividing line...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2014, 8:37 AM

You could leave it the way it is and let the seller determine where the location is. Simply by designating NORTH in Red and SOUTHin Blue.
Old 06-08-2014, 9:13 AM

North and South would make a logical search, given we MUST transfer all firearms through FFLs here in the peoples republik. This way, one can vet the items based on realistic ability to do the deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2014, 9:14 AM

Further, hand guns and long gun separation makes sense given the different transfer restrictions on each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk