Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns For the private sale of rifles, shotguns and other long guns. Read the rules before posting.

View Poll Results: How would you prefer the Marketplace forums to be laid out
'Original Recipe', all in one big forum 166 21.64%
Split by firearm type (Handgun/Long gun) 225 29.34%
Split by location, geographic line 257 33.51%
Split by location, seller based determination 119 15.51%
Voters: 767. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 PM

North/South is only relevant for a fraction of sellers, and as Lone_Gunman pointed out, the regions are too big to guarantee an FTF anyway. So only part of the population is served, and then not very well.

I think handguns/long guns is a useful -- and easy to understand -- distinction. As far as people having an active FS thread in Handguns and another in Long guns, it's still one active thread per forum. That's no different from having FS threads in both Firearms and Parts/Accessories in the previous setup and that was always allowed.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Seems the calguns community is just as conflicted with this as Kes is..

I'd say do both split by location user defined and by long gun/handgun

GL
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 08-22-2013, 4:07 AM

I would prefer it to remain the same, splitting it up into North and South is pointless, PERIOD! What do you do when the out of state members post a for sale thread????? I don't care where the seller is located, either they will ship or they won't, sometimes they say they won't but if their item isn't selling, oh how they can change their mind. Separating long guns and handguns I could live with, but as the moderator said, some members will have both to sell.

To simplify EVERYTHING, have the site set up where if the OP doesn't fill out the proper section/info (make, model, caliber, ship, city, and zip, ect), if this info isn't properly filled in, then the system should reject it until all sections have been properly filled out. And if we want to get really get on the ball, maybe even have a section of other obvious information like New or used, round count, overall condition.

I take it you're not here for the alcohol or the tobacco
Old 08-22-2013, 4:54 AM

Keep them all together, split nothing. Geographical lines are you kidding me? It's big but it's ONE state. I don't wanna have to browse multiple sections. It doesn't take me long to view all the posts in the private firearm sales forum. Splitting everything up will likely make it more complicated and time consuming to browse.
Old 08-22-2013, 5:50 AM
Banned

Hand gun - long gun
Old 08-22-2013, 6:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I agree with what the others said, keep it the way it used to be and require a location in the title. I know I don't always have something specific I'm looking for and I don't like having to go back and forth between both sections.

I know others have mentioned it but having a seller section for C&R and antique stuff would help all those who are only into that. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 7:08 AM

Default always worth a try

I personally don't like the handgun longgun split. But definitely agree that location should be required....I don't do much buying by shipping as I prefer FTF, i get a better feel for gun and seller/buyer that way.

I also prefer an actual city or county as opposed to Idaho or backwoods for a location, I know guys are having fun, but it makes a difference.

BTW most of my buddies back east wish they had something like Calguns, here we are in the land of 2nd amendment oppression and we have a super tool to use to connect with other collectors and gun owners. Way to go Calguns!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 7:51 AM

As much as I love the idea of a long gun/hand gun split, a location split would be a heck of a lot more helpful. Too many times have I found myself grinding my teeth for great guns located in Socal and I live in Norcal. Also, people are bringing up the "what if the person wants to ship" question. Thats simple, if a buyer is already prepared for a shipping option, they can simply look in the Socal section if they so choose, and if the seller states they are willing to ship. Done and Done!
Old 08-22-2013, 8:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Handgun and long gun in ONE category
Old 08-22-2013, 8:17 AM

Location in title mandatory.
Ability to choose region like Craigslist.
Handgun long gun back together.

NRA Member

Last edited by UberPatriot; 08-22-2013 at 8:48 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 8:39 AM

Problem with splitting is the formation of more than one marketplace; people having to post in multiple places, bump in multiple places, and search in multiple places (imagine if I want to find SoCal sellers that will ship). It's also more work for the moderators.

Kestryll: I have seen some forums where the thread title is automatically generated based on selections from a drop down during the new thread process. I think that would be our best solution if vBulletin supports this. Here's how it might work:

All threads in the marketplace require geographic location and yes/no to shipping. This info is then automatically inserted in the title. For example "[SoCal][Ship] WTS: H&K P7M8" for a seller down south that is willing to ship. Alternatively "[NorCal] WTS: H&K P7M8" would indicate a seller up north that only wants FTF.

Generally speaking the goal should be as few forums as possible to contain the discussions had, IMO. I believe this would be a better way to avoid fragmenting the marketplace, but still have Calguns automatically curate the goals we were ultimately after.
Old 08-22-2013, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeco81 View Post
Problem with splitting is the formation of more than one marketplace; people having to post in multiple places, bump in multiple places, and search in multiple places (imagine if I want to find SoCal sellers that will ship). It's also more work for the moderators.

Kestryll: I have seen some forums where the thread title is automatically generated based on selections from a drop down during the new thread process. I think that would be our best solution if vBulletin supports this. Here's how it might work:

All threads in the marketplace require geographic location and yes/no to shipping. This info is then automatically inserted in the title. For example "[SoCal][Ship] WTS: H&K P7M8" for a seller down south that is willing to ship. Alternatively "[NorCal] WTS: H&K P7M8" would indicate a seller up north that only wants FTF.

Generally speaking the goal should be as few forums as possible to contain the discussions had, IMO. I believe this would be a better way to avoid fragmenting the marketplace, but still have Calguns automatically curate the goals we were ultimately after.
I agree.
Better search filters with location and shipping info = no need to split market place.

NRA Member
Old 08-22-2013, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

IMO any split is bad. It just means more forums I have to do a search in, rather than just one.
Old 08-22-2013, 4:58 PM

Leave it like it was - forget the split
Old 08-22-2013, 5:57 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

I don't think a geographic north/south split would work, as every one has a different definition of those terms. Fresno is Nor Cal? That's 5 hours away for me.

I would prefer a required location (city, county, ZIP) in the thread title. No location, thread is deleted.

City is preferred, no "nor cal" or "so cal" locations, or things like "north county". There are 58 counties in this state. They all have a "north" and a "south".

Such a requirement is not "harsh", it is called, "following directions".

Last edited by Dutch3; 08-22-2013 at 6:07 PM..
Old 08-22-2013, 6:17 PM

I'm still very interested in seeing a curio and relic firarms marketplace. As far as the rest is concerned, splitting it up by location makes a bit more sense to me. This debate will be ongoing for the duration of the existence of calguns due to so many different factor regarding firearms sales.
Old 08-22-2013, 6:36 PM

do not like the handgun/long gun split

Very much favor the city be required in the title - otherwise lock the post (some have said it's harsh but I disagree - you've got to post a price and other relevant info)
Old 08-22-2013, 6:58 PM

Prefer the handguns and Rifles / Longguns in one category but split it along geographical line such as Humboldt, Sacramento , San Francisco, Fresno, Los Angeles, San Diego etc... I don't want to browse through every single ads of the guns I am interested in buying to see if the sellers are in my area so I can do PTP like what we are doing now. I don't want to keep saying to myself .. Dang, I wish I am in that area or this area.

“Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.” — Lt. Gen. “Chesty” Puller

“A ship without Marines is no ship of war at all.” — Adm.David Dixon Porter, U.S. Navy, 1864

Blade-Tech Industries
Old 08-22-2013, 8:39 PM

I think it worked well with all the types in one big forum with the requirement that you state your location.
Old 08-22-2013, 9:03 PM

Kestryll if you need help figuring out how to automate title threads in vBulletin let me know.
Old 08-22-2013, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I currently like how it is. Yes, it does take a little effort to look for a local item, but, it works. I feel I would prefer a North and South split rather than a long gun/handgun split. There are quite a few posts with both for sale. Splitting them would create more work on both ends.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 34" ported barrels & removable Chokes
BT-99 with 34" ported barrel, adjustable comb, removable chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 08-23-2013, 6:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I originally thought long gun/hand gun would work but after seeing it for a few days, I have serious doubts. Seems like both long and hand are mixed with hand and long. Pointless if members are posting in wrong forums. Makes it harder to search. Now I am voting for "go back to the way it was"
Old 08-23-2013, 6:54 AM

Keep it how it was but with required location.
Old 08-23-2013, 8:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I really like the firearm category (handgun/long gun) format you are running right now. Much less "mental chaos" than before. That said, I would really like to see where the item for sale is located, since most gun sales I believe are FTF.

Unfortunately, I do not think that threads based upon a few arbitrary "North/South" lines would work out too well. i.e.: While the Riverside County (Temecula~North) and Orange County are only 60 miles away from me in San Diego, I'm not driving up and back twice (240 miles) to purchase a gun up there (that's $80 in gas in my truck and another $80 in total cost to run that truck , plus at least 4 hours total driving time (and the hour doing a PPT)). Psstt! No Way!

So any arbitrary line/geo area would only be useful if there where a whole bunch of them... as in 58 different CA Counties... I don't see that as being practical for the message board menu alone.

So, this bring me to my own authoritarian preferences... simply make it mandatory for sellers to post what County they are in on their headline i.e: "Big Black Gun, very tacti-cool (San Diego)". That makes it much easier for buyers , yet you still get to browse all the guns for sale. It also makes is much easy to do an advanced search for just your County, or surrounding counties. If you want to take the "mandatory info-in-the headline" one step further, you could mandate that sellers also include "FTF" if they are not willing to ship (which is the majority of sellers). As a buyer, that would convey a whole lot of useful info in three letters, i.e: "Big Black Gun FTF (Orange)"... that tells me that if I REALLY want that gun, I'm driving to Orange to buy it.. allowing me to skip over a whole lot of reading though ad body text to see where it is, and if the guy is willing ship or not (I know you have that info in the template of the Ad body text, but since it is not mandatory, few actually use it if they end up conveying that same info in their own marketing writeup (like I do).

Okay, Just my 2 Cents! (actually, my opinion here is worth $25, since I am a CGN Contributor! ) Hope it helps your analysis process, and thanks for all you do Calgun Staff!!!

Last edited by SoCalXD; 08-26-2013 at 5:41 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesertTrooper View Post
I'm still very interested in seeing a curio and relic firarms marketplace.
That already exists, here.

Currently North/South split is winning. IMO it's a terrible idea. Many items can and do ship, so who cares about north/south. And what about all the people that live near the arbitrary dividing line? They'll need to search 2 forums even for local items.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I say go back to the "Original Recipe"
with mandatory locations in title or mandatory title layout with;
location [maybe not specific but at least region(north, south, bay area, san diego, truckee, LA, coastal...etc) even breaking up in to different zones (although good luck assigning numbers colors or letters to the zones) but something standardized] - type - make/model

if you standardize the titles we can simply use the search if we wanted to sort (in theory anyway)

as a seller; I do like the ability to reach a large audience (even though I probably wouldn't ship anyway, yeah I am that lazy)

as a buyer; I like to browse either just looking for good deals, something rare/different or just something that I "need" to have on that specific day. in general I am usually not looking for anything specific, just merely looking... till I find something.

as someone who has bought too much and is now broke; I still like to look and see what is out there, what people are trying to sell for (and what they are getting) and as always I just like to look at guns, especially things that I may not have seen before or don't know anything about.

BTW my experience on other forums is that trying to break up the state into regions or creating regional classifieds usually ends in failure.

I guess I could make that easier to read, but I think that I will just go grab another beer instead

Last edited by Bastard; 08-23-2013 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: I felt like it.... so there.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPatriot View Post
Agreed +1
Old 08-23-2013, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboosh View Post
Norcal/Socal doesn't break it up enough. Socal could be ventura or san diego.
^^^^^^^^^

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

Old 08-23-2013, 8:51 PM

I think honestly the ammo forum needs geographical location more than the firearms fora. More to wade through and most people want ftf.
Old 08-23-2013, 9:48 PM

Interesting to note that the majority of folks that want location often do not have theirs specifically listed by city or town. I would love to see location and shipping enforced as others have suggested, it makes the mouse over tags much faster to skim through to find what your looking for. Either way I will still keep using the forum as there is not anything evenly remotely close to being better to meet my needs. You are doing an awesome job, two thumbs up!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinodiver View Post
Interesting to note that the majority of folks that want location often do not have theirs specifically listed by city or town. I would love to see location and shipping enforced as others have suggested, it makes the mouse over tags much faster to skim through to find what your looking for. Either way I will still keep using the forum as there is not anything evenly remotely close to being better to meet my needs. You are doing an awesome job, two thumbs up!
^^Haha, so true! Oh, and guilty as charged!

IMHO, all one forum for handgun/longgun, enforced mandatory location-perhaps by county as suggested by others and "will ship/no ship" in title or ad text for mouse over searching.

Kestryll, thanks for everything you and the other mods do for us! Its one heck of a nice place here!

Robert
Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboosh View Post
Norcal/Socal doesn't break it up enough. Socal could be ventura or san diego.
Aren't they the same place?

NRA Member
Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 PM

Kudos on the continuous improvement! I love this site and have spent countless hours in the marketplace alone. I think the separation of long guns and handguns was a great idea. One could take it further and separate shotguns from rifles, or even breaks, pumps, auto loading shotguns, auto loading rifles, bolt rifles, lever rifles, blackpowder, revolvers...I think you get the point. I have already seen pistols posted in the long guns and vice versa...I like the idea of requiring a ship or no ship and city in the title, but maybe adding a filter feature with the most common options will make less work for the mods in the long run while making the hunt for desired weapon easy on the user. For those just browsing the gun porn, set no filters and lust away!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 AM
CGN Contributor

Location: Western part of American Redoubt (http://survival-prepper.com/doku.php?id=american%20redoubt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPatriot View Post
Perfect summary UberPatriot...especially location in the title MANDATORY.
Old 08-24-2013, 8:18 AM

Make everybody happy by filters Not sure what a nightmare the coding would be however it works great on websites for selling cars.
Old 08-24-2013, 8:33 AM

Handgun, rifle, shotgun .... Mandatory location in title... There-- all done... Ur welcome!!!! Cheers....
Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

BTW what is with the only being able to vote once, hell back in November...
wait never mind
Old 08-24-2013, 6:43 PM

I'd like to see it require the county in the title of the listing. We may not know where all the counties are in the state, but we'll know our county (obviously) and those we would be willing to drive to for a transfer. My .02
Old 08-24-2013, 8:27 PM

I'll have to say go with the Hadngun/Long gun split. As others have stated, getting a bump to your pistol ad to only to have it put 2 pages back with a flood of AR's can get tedious.
As for the seller; if they are trying to sell both an pistol and rifle, they can post each in separate threads. Nothing too hard about. Oh yeah, and posting their location in the title wouldn't hurt either.

-Erik
Old 08-26-2013, 3:38 PM

I like the handgun/long gun split so far. It seems some people don't know what a "long gun" is though. I'm seeing a lot of pistol threads . NorCal/SoCal split would be redundant if people would just put their location in the title and the rule was enforced. I think that way most people will be happy.

https://htpscourse.com/