Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 8:07 AM

Now this is interesting... The docket for peruta is now blank:
https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....les/16-894.htm
Old 06-05-2017, 8:14 AM

Jun 5 2017 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of June 8, 2017.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:09 AM

I'm wondering if SCOTUS is stalling till the session is over which is the end of June.... allowing one of the judges to retire....it's starting to look that way!!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag6.8 View Post
I'm wondering if SCOTUS is stalling till the session is over which is the end of June.... allowing one of the judges to retire....it's starting to look that way!!
If the (totally hypothetical) "retiring" justice announces their retirement the day before the fall session starts (in order to facilitate a "delay") that means a likely successor wouldn't be named and confirmed and on board until at least January 2018 at the earliest. Which would mean that oral arguments for any case granted cert after that wouldn't be heard until the fall of 2018... and then if it's "an important case" the decision wouldn't be rendered until June of 2019.

TWO YEARS!!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeorge View Post
If the (totally hypothetical) "retiring" justice announces their retirement the day before the fall session starts (in order to facilitate a "delay") that means a likely successor wouldn't be named and confirmed and on board until at least January 2018 at the earliest. Which would mean that oral arguments for any case granted cert after that wouldn't be heard until the fall of 2018... and then if it's "an important case" the decision wouldn't be rendered until June of 2019.

TWO YEARS!!
Two years, sounds plausible to me. Some here on this forum (hopefully not me) will be BACK in diapers before this may ever get resolved. I remember hearing my father talk of CCW issues back in 1974; he passed last year at the age of 86 and was never able to obtain the permit, as he lived in Los Angeles.
Surfer George, I understand you have been waiting and watching this issue for decades, but it may be time to paddle away from the island. Sad, isn't it?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

After 8600+ posts, the frustration is beginning to wear pretty obviously. 'Little birdies' and their discussion dropped into rancor quite quickly, and thus that discussion is deleted.

Also, the forum software has decided that 8600 is about enough - very slow posts, double-taps - so I'm going to create a 'Part 2' and close this one.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

After 8600+ posts, the frustration is beginning to wear pretty obviously. 'Little birdies' and their discussion dropped into rancor quite quickly, and thus that discussion is deleted.

Also, the forum software has decided that 8600 is about enough - very slow posts, double-taps - so I'm going to create a 'Part II' and close this one.

New thread - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20192712

ETA - if you need something from the thread and being closed is preventing that, please PM a mod to get the thread opened for a bit. Nothing wrong with the thread beyond the performance issue.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-05-2017 at 11:44 PM..
Old 06-26-2017, 6:46 AM
Super Moderator

The court has denied review in Peruta. A dissent was written by Justice Thomas, joined by Justice Gorsuch.

You can read the dissent starting at page 30 of today orders: https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...17zor_8759.pdf

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Closed Thread