Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 08-18-2013, 4:46 PM

Default How To: Make a Bullet Button Glove

The other day I saw a bullet button glove for sale. It seems like a really good idea, but I'm not paying $35 for a pair of gloves, and thought that I could make it myself. I think it turned out well, so here's a quick step by step:

Materials needed:
  • Pair of gloves
  • Two roofing nails
  • Chopsaw or bench grinder
  • Metal file
  • Vise grips
  • Blowtorch or propane stove
  • Paint (optional)
  • Calipers (optional)

I picked this pair of gloves up at Home Depot for $10. I cut off the right index finger, and, later, the thumb as well. Also pictured are the roofing nails I used. Roofing nails are preferable over others because of their large, thin heads that will make the glove more comfortable.

Next, I measured the depth of my bullet button. I marked the shank of the nail slightly further down than that depth, to allow for some extra room.

Of course, you can grind down the nail using trial and error, but I'll include my measurements for your convenience.

Firmly secure the nail head in vise grips, and take the nail over to your bench grinder and grind it down to size. Make sure to wear gloves and safety glasses.

After I was done grinding, the nail had some melted metal solidified around the tip. So I used a metal file to round out the tip, and slightly chamfer it. It isn't chamfered yet in this picture.

The final length of my nail was 0.311 in.

My particular nail had these little "wings" just below the head. I filed them off to make it fit flush on the glove later.

I then hit it with a coat of black paint so it wasn't so shiny.

Next, put on the gloves, sans nail, and try hitting the mag release with your middle finger. Find a spot on the pad of your middle finger where the reach feels comfortable. Mark it. Then, holding the second nail in vise grips or needle nose pliers, heat it using your blowtorch or propane stove. Get it really, really hot. Once the nail is heated, melt a hole in the glove on your mark.

Finally, turn the glove inside out, put some super glue on the bottom of the head of the nail, and push it through the hole. Congratulations, you now have a bullet button glove! And you've saved $25 (and shipping) over the price of the same product online!

Function test: I shot through a couple magazines, and it is working perfectly. Makes dropping mags almost as fast as a regular release, and it is very comfortable! Although I may invest in a speed funnel to speed up reloading even more.

And the nail sits comfortably out of the way while gripping your gun.

Before a few days ago, I didn't know that a BB glove existed. I think it's a very good idea, and want to share it with you Calgunners. I hope everyone finds this walkthrough helpful!
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
-Jeff Cooper

Last edited by calaveras; 08-18-2013 at 9:32 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 PM

Very cool. I may have to make a pair.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:17 PM

This has been a idea thought of many times but in retrospect never used a lot for 2 reasons:
  1. Why make a glove when you can convert a ring to do the same thing
  2. The bullet button in on the right side, you wrap your right hand around the pistol grip and trigger normally with the right hand, guess what gets scratched up?

in fact with the ring you actually have it pointed outwards and make a fist to hit the bullet button .... that way nothing get scratched.

You actually can use Delrin plastic instead of metal as it is strong enough to work but flexible enough not to break.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 08-18-2013 at 10:21 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 AM

Nice! Have you considered putting the nail pointing out, on the other side of the finger? The flat head of the nail would then rest against you... nail. Just curl your finger in, and the nail will point in to trigger the BB, but the rest of the time, it points away so fewer worries about scratching things up.
Old 08-19-2013, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp View Post
Nice! Have you considered putting the nail pointing out, on the other side of the finger? The flat head of the nail would then rest against you... nail. Just curl your finger in, and the nail will point in to trigger the BB, but the rest of the time, it points away so fewer worries about scratching things up.
But it would scratch up my fingernail!

Nah, but really I wanted to be able to maintain a firm grip on the gun while reloading, and if I had to curl my finger to engage the release, then I could no longer reach it without letting go of the grip.

And I'm not too worried about scratching up the grip of my gun, it's a MOE+ that's nice and rubbery. There's nothing else that the nail really scratches during normal use, except maybe the area around the magazine release if you miss the bullet button.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
-Jeff Cooper
Old 08-19-2013, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith Dan View Post
This has been a idea thought of many times but in retrospect never used a lot for 2 reasons:
  1. Why make a glove when you can convert a ring to do the same thing
  2. The bullet button in on the right side, you wrap your right hand around the pistol grip and trigger normally with the right hand, guess what gets scratched up?

in fact with the ring you actually have it pointed outwards and make a fist to hit the bullet button .... that way nothing get scratched.

You actually can use Delrin plastic instead of metal as it is strong enough to work but flexible enough not to break.
It seems like a ring would be prone to rotating around your finger. And I'm not too worried about scratching my grip or, as noted above, maybe the area directly surrounding the magazine release.

A hard plastic could definitely be a good upgrade.

It certainly isn't for everyone's uses and shooting styles, but I sure find the fingertip glove tool useful.
-Jeff Cooper