Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-18-2013, 1:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Cuyama 1,000 yard match report 8/18

It was a beautiful morning in Cuyama today for our 1,000 yard match (2 relays of 20 rounds), 70 degrees with very little wind when the first relay started. So, I decided to shoot the 22.250 with a 26", Pacnor Supermatch barrel in a 1:10" twist. We had 4 sling shooters and 4 F class shooters which made for easy target set ups

The first two relays were shot in light (5 mph) winds that picked up to about 10 mph at the end of relays 2's shooting. I had 4 minutes of left windage dialed in for the 69 Sierra match kings by the end of my first string of 20 shots.

The wind came up for relay 1's second time at 1,000 yard and we noticed the change down in the pits. The wind picked up in velocity and started shifting from full left to straight into the shooter's faces and kept switching during their entire turn.

By the time we got to our second string the wind was 10 - 15 mph from left to right and shifting to a straight head wind in seconds. It was one of those winds that you looked up and saw the flags at 400 yard facing right, the flags at 600 yards pointing toward you and the flag at 800 yards pointing right.

I shot ten sighter shots on the second relay trying to dial in the shifts. Right after my second shot for score, the wind shifted 180 degrees to a full left at 15 - 20 mph. I saw the shift and held a full mildot into the wind and still dropped into the 6 ring at 9 o'clock (That's at least 50 inches of drift). By the end of the 20 shot string I had dialed in 12 minutes of right windage from where I finished the first string.

The scores reflected the wind but the bigger bullet guys had an easier time of it as the wind kicked them around a lot less. I should have shot my 6.5x284 but the 22.250 was fun to learn the wind on. I won't give everyone's score but I shot a 344, 3X (400 possible) with only one shot out of the black for second place in F Class. Usually it take about a 390 score to win this match but that standard went right out the window with the winds today.

Next month's match will be a Palma format, unlimited sighters and 15 shots for score at 800 yards, 2 sighters and 15 shots at 900 yards and finally 2 sighters and 15 shots for score at 1,000 yards.

It is scheduled for September 22nd which is an odd date as we shoot the Sunday after the third Saturday of the month. The 7th is the first Saturday, so the 21st is the third Saturday so the match should be on the 22nd which is the fourth Sunday of the month.

I probably won't be there as I get back from South Africa on Friday, the 19th. New shooters are always welcome and usually there are people there camping out the Saturday before the match for practice time.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 08-18-2013 at 2:34 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 5:58 PM

Why do matches keep overlapping?

How is the improvements on the range going?

I have heard that they fixed the wash path through the road.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 08-19-2013, 4:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The road's good, Dane. You can drive the road in front of the gate to the 800 yard line in your 'Stang easily. The new shade structure is 100 times better that than the old temporary one.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-19-2013, 6:02 PM

Excellent, I plan to get back out there this fall once the school year gets into swing and I can relax.

For the Learned Rifleman