Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-17-2013, 9:11 PM

Default When to purchase gun for ccw

Hi, I am going apply for a ccw in Sacramento. When should I purchase my firearm to be used for the permit? The reason I ask is I would hate to buy a gun and be turned down for a permit. Not that I have anything that would warrant that. I would also like to get as much training time in with the new gun as possible before the permit test. I also read in somewhere that they issue about 95% of applications.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:37 PM

If you have found the gun you want to put on your permit, then buy it. Shoot with it as much as you can over the next year that it will take you to actually get your permit. Don't stress over it, you'll probably change your mind about what you want in that time anyway. The oh way to know is to shoot it and shoot it often. Take a class where you draw from concealment, then you'll know.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Buy it now. There's plenty of info on these boards about the types of weapons available. Read up and make a list. Then call shooting ranges to see if they rent the guns. If you can't find one to shoot, post in the forums for Sacramento, and see if someone will let you shoot theirs. (Offer to bring ammo).

Once you find the gun, buy it. Even if you never get a license, you'll still wind up with a gun you like to shoot.
Old 08-18-2013, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Buy it now. There's plenty of info on these boards about the types of weapons available. Read up and make a list. Then call shooting ranges to see if they rent the guns. If you can't find one to shoot, post in the forums for Sacramento, and see if someone will let you shoot theirs. (Offer to bring ammo).

Once you find the gun, buy it. Even if you never get a license, you'll still wind up with a gun you like to shoot.
I agree with the above comments 100%.

Personally, I can't imagine NOT buying a gun simply because I might be turned down for a permit. If you pick the right weapon, it should still have some value to you as a home defense weapon, or even just something to enjoy at the range. There are a number of handguns that can be concealed, and still are enough gun to protect your home.
Old 08-18-2013, 5:26 AM

Yep, buy now, train now. Get as much trigger time as you can.
Old 08-18-2013, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

Scary

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

***Mature Up***
Old 08-18-2013, 9:38 AM
I need more cowbell!!!!!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
Scary
I kinda have to agree. Asking about when to purchase your gun for CCW is akin buying your first car, leaving the lot and heading straight to DMV to take the test. You need time behind the wheel to get competent at driving and the same applies to guns and time pulling the trigger and getting your bullets to go where you want them to go. I know at some point many of us were new to guns. I was raised on rifles and my first hadgun was not till my mid 20s. So lets teach him right.

S.J.Sharks - Here are some words of advice:
-Shoot as many model as you can.
-You can have a maximum of 3 guns on your permit.
-Remember the gun(s) you choose are to be concealed. A 5" 1911 is a great gun but not the best to conceal in the summer time. A small .38 wheel gun might be better.
-Once you find the models you like, starting buying a few holsters and get an idea of comfort by wearing your gun in the holster around your house. Wear the holster empty outside of your house to get used to the feeling and break it in.

Finally

-Train as if your life depends on it, cause it does! Go to the range often and shoot as much as possible. Shoot weak hand, strong hand, 2 hand, and one handed. A lot of responsibility comes with carrying concealed and if you have to use your weapon it will be a very stressful situation and human instinct will fall back on good training and muscle memory.

I would also suggest shooting classes. I know many people have recommended Best Handgun Training in Lincoln. They can also do your Sac CCW training.

http://www.besthandguntraining.com/

Last edited by Synergy; 08-18-2013 at 9:50 AM..
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Find a gun NOW before applying. Get comfortable and proficient with it. You will have to be able to shoot one handed, two handed, out of holster, return to holster, shoot reload and shoot again and hit the target within the profile outline to pass a CCW qualification test.(test we took, others may vary)
The wife and I both bought our guns for CCW and practiced, took the CCW qual class before we even applied for our CCW's. Had cert of qual in hand and turned in when we filled out our ccw app.
The training is worth it even if for some reason your denied a CCW. practice, practice, practice and be comfortable and confident. Testers will try and rattle you during testing to see how proficient you are under stress.
Old 08-18-2013, 4:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think a few people here are making the assumption the OP has NO firearms training, hence the snarky comments (ie: "Scary"). I think the question is perfectly reasonable. I personally wouldn't have much of a reason to own my Glock G27's if I didn't have a LTC.

With that said, given the time/effort/expense in getting a LTC, it makes sense to be comfortable with the weapons you're going to list. You could always train with a rental gun to see if you get approved before committing to a purchase. But 4-5 rentals would be more than the $$ you'd lose if you bought a handgun and ended up selling it later.

Once you are issued your CCW, then I agree you should be practicing weekly with your firearms in one form or another.
Old 08-18-2013, 7:41 PM

Thanks last poster. The question was asked because if I did not get a permit I would opt for a larger model since concealment would not be an option. Already have a P226 for home protection.
Old 08-18-2013, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.j.sharks View Post
Thanks last poster. The question was asked because if I did not get a permit I would opt for a larger model since concealment would not be an option. Already have a P226 for home protection.
Get the permit with the pistol you have. Then, you can take time to choose/find a pistol that you really want to carry, and get it added to the permit.

Did this recently myself. I received my permit with my pistol listed on the permit. Later, I purchased another for primary carry. Once comfortable with the new pistol and feeling that it's reliable. I went back to my CCW instructer and qualified with it. I then scheduled a modification appointment and had it added to my permit. Now, I can carry either!

Last edited by XVIga_Rob; 08-18-2013 at 8:10 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 9:24 AM

One word of caution, right now SSD will not issue modification appointments to add another handgun. That may change in some number of months, but who knows... he could get stuck carrying the Sig for a while.
Old 08-19-2013, 9:43 AM

SSD is currently not accepting modification of permit (adding or subtracting guns on your permit) so get a gun that you want to carry, if you get the permit, it may be in your holster for awhile. SSD is approving a large volume of applications, even if you're not squeaky clean, so assume you are going to recieve your permit. Try IDPA for gun practice, SDPS has clinics to get your action pistol certificate at SVSC, which will allow you to shoot IDPA matches and use the action bays at SVSC, which is, I believe the only place you can do holster work without a ccw in greater sac area. IDPA matches are a great way to shoot realistic scenarios using your pistol in a defensive manner, its inexpensive and fun. I'm using my xd sub 9mm (carry gun) in matches and it has helped immensely.
just my 2 cents.
Old 08-19-2013, 3:04 PM

I purchased with what turned out to be my primary carry only 11 days (out of "jail" hours before) before my ccw class... I don't recommend doing that . Fortunately I had lots experience with that type of handgun (snub .38) but showing up at my class and having to shoot qualifying targets was more stressful than need be. The instructor also wanted to see students field strip the weapons (non-event with a 642 smith). I ended up qualifying with 3 pistols, so that I could later decide which two I wanted to put on the permit (Solano allows only two). Like others have said try to narrow it down ASAP and get some practice in with it (them) prior to having to shoot your qualifying targets (BTW, the qualifying test is pretty easy, at least in Solano Co.) Good luck and you now get to do one of the most fun parts of getting a CCW... buying a new gun.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

Last edited by Charlie50; 08-19-2013 at 3:06 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 7:03 PM

I agree with what everyone here has said....

No need for only one hand gun in the safe.....they need company!!! The more the merrier! They're all fun to shoot.

No safe queens at home.....

I have a Browning .22 for plinking and such
a S&W M&P .45 F/S for home defense
a S&W M&P 9c
a SIG P238

I'll have them all on my permit (the last 3 that is)....different seasons, different carry....plus they are all fun to shoot!!!

Find your carry, buy it, shoot it, practice, practice & practice....

Most of all, have fun & be safe!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 9:24 PM
Veteran Member

IMO, you should already have it and practicing like crazy with it. Practice, practice, practice... There is no time like now to know your CCW handgun like the back of your hand.
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 30" or larger barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 08-20-2013, 9:33 AM

I'd sign up for classes with Gordon from Grey Ops. They're great instructors that will teach you the basics to advance. Gordon and Pat are Glock guys, but we run the courses with Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Rugers, 1911's, HK's, etc. He will also qualify you for the guns you carry. Train, train, and train somemore. There's a lot of responsibility, when we choose to carry a firearm for personal defense. They'll get you dialed in to where you're shooting same hole groups and work your way up to scenarios.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Paleontological Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmckingwood View Post
One word of caution, right now SSD will not issue modification appointments to add another handgun. That may change in some number of months, but who knows... he could get stuck carrying the Sig for a while.
Yeah, I hope the OP saw this. If he has any notion of wanting more than one gun on the license anytime soon, he'd better get 'em on there from the start if he can, because there hasn't been any word yet as to when or if SSD might reopen the mod appointments for adding guns.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

I get what the OP is asking and it's a tough call. I had the same issue. To apply for my CCW I had to have THE gun I was going to put on the permit in my possession. My county is very strict about who gets a CCW. Why on earth would I buy a .38 snubbie for any other reason than to CCW. Not enjoyable to shoot and not first choice for anything but to carry. I could of ended up with a 500$ revolver and no permit and that would of sucked. Maybe go with something like a Glock 19 since it can be concealed and it's still a nice shooter. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2013, 7:15 PM

In my case I bought the gun that I wanted for all around use (g21) and trained with it. By the time my application was approved my alternate option of a g30 was still unavailable locally, but I can add it when I am able.
Currently enjoying my time as a park photographer in Yosemite
Old 08-25-2013, 8:13 PM

I started my permit process in mid December. I went to an indoor range where I shoot often with my father and rented several different makes and models that I would consider for concealed carry. After putting more than 500 rounds down range, I decided which weapon I would carry. Then the craziness after Newtown went into overdrive and the gun store shelves emptied. I had full size pistols I use for recreational shooting and home defense. The first pistol on my list, was the Ruger SR40C. Couldn't find one anywhere and there was a chance that it wouldn't be available when my training took place. Found my second choice on sale at RCGE and purchased my Springfield XD40SC. Now after extensive practice and training I really like the XD better than the Ruger which my father has. Whatever you choose to get, practice practice practice until you feel proficient and then shoot at least once a month.
Old 08-26-2013, 9:14 AM

Keep in mind you dont need a ccw permit to have a home defense gun. Go to a range and rent several guns that you are interested in and shoot them. Get the one you can handle the best and shoot the best. It is possible to conceal most hand guns if you dress around the gun. But remember you have to be accurate with it and be comfortable with it. When at range or local gun shops ask questions and dont be afraid to ask questions. The more info you get the better decision you will make. And practice often.