Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-17-2013, 7:50 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Please Delete

Questions answered.

Last edited by r6533; 10-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Questions answered.
Old 08-17-2013, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Not a bad start! S&W makes excellent AR platforms.

My M&P15 has eaten all ammo I've given it, I'd say but the inexpensive stuff and plink away. Can't go wrong with EOTechs, although SightMark makes a good impostor. DId you want a scope instead? Lube? Hoppe's, FrogLube, it's all good.
Old 08-17-2013, 8:12 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

M&P15 is a solid choice. A good workhorse rifle that will serve you well.

Avoid steel ammo
Run it wet
Keep it clean
Master it with iron sights and get an optic later.
Old 08-17-2013, 8:57 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
Not a bad start! S&W makes excellent AR platforms.

My M&P15 has eaten all ammo I've given it, I'd say but the inexpensive stuff and plink away. Can't go wrong with EOTechs, although SightMark makes a good impostor. DId you want a scope instead? Lube? Hoppe's, FrogLube, it's all good.
I'm inclined to mount a scope. Any recommendations for a $200-250 model, and what reticle style should I be looking at (pun intended).

CLP OK for a lube?

2-stage trigger recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2013, 8:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
M&P15 is a solid choice. A good workhorse rifle that will serve you well.

Avoid steel ammo
Run it wet
Keep it clean
Master it with iron sights and get an optic later.
"Master" might be a tall order with my eyesight but I will take your advice and put in some time behind its trigger before installing an optic.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:13 PM
Banned

CLP is fine, but it's not so good as a *wet* type lube.

You can get a tiny thing of Shooters Gold grease for dirt cheap (like 5$?).
It's what I use on my trigger components and bolt group rails.
A tiny little thing will last a lifetime since you use so little.

Try a Wilson trigger if the local shop has one you can touch .... much better than any other AR trigger.
I do my own trigger work so I really am unbiased as to the brands (you'll find most are phan boiz of one or ta udder).
Old 08-17-2013, 9:32 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I've done my own trigger work on several of my other firearms but thought I'd spend a little money rather than time on the 15T trigger, especially since I prefer 2-stage rifle triggers. Can you recommend a how-to link on DIY trigger work?

P.S. - I like the creative spelling, since yours was intentional.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:44 PM

As far as lube the AR platforms like to be run "wet". Look into Slip 2000 EWL. You can find it online and get a big bottle and it will last you forever. Dont use anything like WD40, 3 in 1 or anything cheap. It will just start to smoke as the action and barrel heat up thus causing you problems.

Ammo, shoot what you can find. AR's will eat just about anything you feed it unless you have a different chamber, which I wouldn't expect in a M&P.

What distances will you be shooting? This will help us to narrow down the huge option choice in optics. Don't go too cheap on optics, you will just get frustrated on it holding a zero or just having a bad or even loose reticle. For my 5.56 I have an Aimpoint COMPML3. Love it and the battery life is outstanding. For my 6.8 I have a Vortex PST 4-16x50 MRAD. I also have the same optic on my 7.62 and I take that out past 400yds so far. If you are looking for some magnification check into the Vortex line and take a hard look at the PST 1-4x. Good bang for your hard earned $$. Just my .02

Let us know what else you are looking for. and stay safe.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Shoot it, clean it, repeat end of story

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on the great rifle, we need more people like you buying guns that the law makers in this state despise!

1. It is hard to beat PMC Bronze .223 for its quality for the price. It can be found for $400 for a case and it is coming down all the time. If you can find a good deal on it, XM193 is also good range ammo.

2. As far as the optic I would highly recommend a 1-4x scope, on a LaRue LT104 mount. The Burris TAC30 or the slightly upgraded version of it the MTAC are the way to go for a all around AR optic. If you want a red dot, the Aimpoint PRO is without a question the best bang for your buck.

3. I highly recommend Slip 2000 Extreme Weapons Lube. It is the best AR lube on the market, it does not dry out or gum up, it stays where it needs to be and keeps your gun going for hundreds of round. CLP is good, but does not last nearly as long.

4. Look into the SSA or SSA-E two stage triggers, best on the market.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Last edited by G21Shooter; 08-18-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Old 08-18-2013, 9:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Thank you for each of the posts, insights and info.

Is there an inherent accuracy benefit from using 5.56 in a barrel chambered in 5.56/.223?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Clp will work fine, it's all I really use because I have gallons of it lying around and I've never had a problem, start getting stoppages just squirt more in...however using any lube depends on what environment you're gonna be shooting in
Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infringed711 View Post
Clp will work fine, it's all I really use because I have gallons of it lying around and I've never had a problem, start getting stoppages just squirt more in...however using any lube depends on what environment you're gonna be shooting in
I used CLP for years and then I found out about Slip 2000, it is a WAY WAY better lube for ARs and all guns for that matter.

Check out this article about the Filthy 14, a BCM mid length AR15 that was fired over 30,000 rounds without cleaning, only being lubed with Slip 2000 EWL.

http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t...ine-filthy-14/
Old 08-18-2013, 11:35 AM

Congrats r6533 great choice of an AR platform, have shot one bone stock and they are great. Have seen them go through some tough classes too. They are made to run! Although, beware of AR platforms they become habit forming. All of a sudden you will have multiple lowers in multiple calibers and upper builds to match them, along with a giant parts chest

As for your M&P I would shoot it iron sights for a bit if possible. Always best to learn that way first. They will never run out of batteries

When looking into optics the question is are you going to be heading to the bench-rest range only? if so, The distances you want to shoot will be a heavy part in the decision process. If you plan on running carbine classes I highly would recommend a red dot (Aimpoint/EoTech/ Primary Arms if on a budget). There is always some movement in these classes and it is tough (not impossible, but not easy) to get a solid sight picture on the move with a magnified optic. I used to run a Leupold Mark-4 Tactical 1.5-5x on top of my Noveske Afghan and it was awesome, could get sub MOA groups at 100, stretch out to 300 if needed. Was not too bad during classes either. The new VXR's with the firedot I assume would be even better. Although, nothing beats blasting on the move with a red dot.

As for Lube, I have been a huge Slip2k EWL fan. Recently I have been using FireClean. I really like it. I ran a 2 day pistol/carbine class and **Lightly** lubed the bolt once and must have put 1000 rounds down range, bolt was still smooth afterwards, and carbon wiped off relatively easily.

For a trigger, I woud run the stock one for awhile and buy more ammo. From there when you upgrade, you will see a huge difference. I prefer Geissele triggers. they are not cheap, but are incredible, all while not using a lightened hammer spring.

5.56 vs.223 in 5.56 Chamber: I have not noticed any noticeable difference. Usually 5.56 is a bit more expensive and is loaded with a bit more pressure. Most match grade you will find is going to be .223 as well. 5.56 match is quite a bit more $$$.

Once more, congrats on the MP15, you will not be dis-satisfied.

Last edited by RDT; 08-18-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Old 09-09-2013, 8:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

So far so good on the M&P 15T. Observations/ thoughts/ actions thus far:

1. Little recoil.

2. Installed a Geissele Super Dynamic Trigger Enhanced Version Two Stage trigger - sweet but expensive.

3. Not one failure of any kind after approx. 300 rds. through it.

4. Little holes are hard to see at 100 yds.

5. Position of the front sight, 100 yd. target and and my prescription glasses = blurry sight post and blurry target.

6. CHEAP red dot sights don't survive a 5 ft. drop to my kitchen floor.

7. An even cheaper red dot on the rifle allows me to shoot better groups than the OEM sights. My first experience with a red dot sight and somehwat of a revelation in acquiring a sight picture, especially in light of my shooting RH and being left eye dominant.

8. I'm leaning away from a scope and towards an Aimpoint Pro for 1/3 co-witness.

9. Ordered a BCM MOD 1 grip to better fit my hand and open up a little more room for my trigger finger.

10. Several different commercial 55 gr. rounds through it but still no clear concensus on what the rifle likes best but it appears to be Independence or Federal.

11. AR-15's are easy to clean, shoot a pea-shooter round and I like the modular concept.
Old 09-09-2013, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

Dude you got a Geissele SDE yet your messing around with cheap red dots?

Spend the money, and get a Aimpoint PRO. You could throw a Aimpoint off your roof and it would still hold zero.
Old 09-09-2013, 9:01 AM

In regards to optics with lesser eyesight, get a magnified optic. Personally, using a RDS with mild astigmatism can be difficult in low light conditions. Turns into a huge blurry dot for me. Just something to note!
Old 09-09-2013, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6533 View Post
I'm inclined to mount a scope. Any recommendations for a $200-250 model, and what reticle style should I be looking at (pun intended).

CLP OK for a lube?

2-stage trigger recommendations?

Thanks.
Nikon or Vortex.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
Old 09-09-2013, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
...relatively inexpensive clean burning ammo., optic to support my aging eyes, lube and a 2-stage trigger upgrade...
Ammo: PMC or Independence is good for plinking and if Independence is truly IMI as reported than it is probably good for more than just plinking.

Optic: I am a big fan of a 1-#x low powered variable. Make sure the low end is true 1x.

Lube: Long time FP-10 and Slide Glide user but going to try Rand CLP soon. It's a non-toxic bio-based oil that unlike others such as Froglube and Fireclean supposedly plays well with normal oils like common CLPs and automotive oils. Their tests shows it lowers co-efficient of friction to oils its added to (snake oil marketing?). It supposedly doesn't cut carbon as well as Fireclean or oven Froglube.

Trigger: My favorite 2-stage is an AR Gold but it's not cheap and it's not a traditional 2-stage (think of 1911 trigger for your AR). Best single stage is a Wilson TTU (again not cheap). Best value is a CMC Trigger (another single stage). An alternative to the Wilson though not any cheaper is a gunsmith installed JP (a little more creep but also a little lighter).

As for your rifle, congrats on the M&P. By all accounts it sounds pretty solid. Only thing I might look for are ways to free float it and get an extended handguard.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 09-09-2013, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

Ssae trigger is what you want
Old 09-09-2013, 9:46 AM

You might try getting shooting contacts if possible.

If using an A2 style rear sight, something like the microsight or MISO sight from Creedmoor Sports will help bring the front sight post and target into focus at the same time thus improving accuracy.

Make sure you're using the proper bullet weight for the barrel twist you have.
There's pictorial graphs floating around for .556/.223.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM

Save all your brass and start reloading. You can get your little holes rounded up into nice little groups.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM

I too got my first AR about 2 weeks ago. I got the Del-Ton Echo 316.
I use wheel bearing grease that I got at Auto Zone for $1.99 for a tub and I use CLP for the bore. As far as ammo goes I have been a fan of Tula for years. I have fired about 500 rounds 55gr thru my AR without any issues. There are places that you can get it for under $5 a box. the AR platform are made to eat anything you throw at it. Is you reload then you might want to use PMC or Federal. I can't bring my self to reload the 223 ammo at the price I get it new for.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
After somewhat limited research and an impulse to buy during a PPT transaction at my local FFL,, I am the owner of my first AR, an M&P CA compliant 15T.

Other than shooting it often and enrolling in some AR-specific classes, what advice can you give me regarding: relatively inexpensive clean burning ammo., optic to support omy aging eyes, lube and a 2-stage trigger upgrade.

Any and all comments, insights or cautions will be appreciated but please don't critique the
choice for my first AR. I don't want to feel any buyer's remorse while the rifle is serving it's 10 day jail time.

Thanks in advance.

Nice! I am gonna buy myself one for my upcoming birthday. And that's after research.

Now the queston is what you paid for it?

WTS Toth Tools, AK misc, and Streamlight TLR3
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3#post19963273
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
So far so good on the M&P 15T. Observations/ thoughts/ actions thus far:

1. Little recoil.

2. Installed a Geissele Super Dynamic Trigger Enhanced Version Two Stage trigger - sweet but expensive.

3. Not one failure of any kind after approx. 300 rds. through it.

4. Little holes are hard to see at 100 yds.

5. Position of the front sight, 100 yd. target and and my prescription glasses = blurry sight post and blurry target.

6. CHEAP red dot sights don't survive a 5 ft. drop to my kitchen floor.

7. An even cheaper red dot on the rifle allows me to shoot better groups than the OEM sights. My first experience with a red dot sight and somehwat of a revelation in acquiring a sight picture, especially in light of my shooting RH and being left eye dominant.

8. I'm leaning away from a scope and towards an Aimpoint Pro for 1/3 co-witness.

9. Ordered a BCM MOD 1 grip to better fit my hand and open up a little more room for my trigger finger.

10. Several different commercial 55 gr. rounds through it but still no clear concensus on what the rifle likes best but it appears to be Independence or Federal.

11. AR-15's are easy to clean, shoot a pea-shooter round and I like the modular concept.
SWEET trigger! Not cheap, but you went pretty much straight to the top tier, not many people can say boo about that.

If you liked the cheap red dot you used, you're going to love the AimPoint Pro even more. Solid choice, for sure.

Done and done. Slap that APP on top, and you're ready to feed it as much ammo as you can afford!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

I like EWL slip2000 best for lube.

PMC Bronze .223 is a good, relatively inexpensive brass cased plinking ammo.

I'm all about iron sights on ARs... Keep it lightweight
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post

Agreed 100%, except I'm fine with scopes and red dots, too.

FrogLube is an interesting alternative to Slip2000 EWL. Some don't like it, others absolutely love it. Few would ever complain about the Slip2000 EWL, though, that stuff has an excellent rep. (google "Filthy 14" to read some impressive reports)
Old 09-09-2013, 1:03 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21Shooter View Post
Dude you got a Geissele SDE yet your messing around with cheap red dots?

Spend the money, and get a Aimpoint PRO. You could throw a Aimpoint off your roof and it would still hold zero.
I had the (2) CHEAP red dots left over from an AK experiment.

Will the Aimpoint Pro's integral mount provide a 1/3 co-witness?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 1:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberClurichaun View Post
Nice! I am gonna buy myself one for my upcoming birthday. And that's after research.

Now the queston is what you paid for it?
$1047 + sales tax
Old 09-09-2013, 1:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba951 View Post
You might try getting shooting contacts if possible.

If using an A2 style rear sight, something like the microsight or MISO sight from Creedmoor Sports will help bring the front sight post and target into focus at the same time thus improving accuracy.

Make sure you're using the proper bullet weight for the barrel twist you have.
There's pictorial graphs floating around for .556/.223.

Good luck.
My barrel twist is 1:8.

I'm going to check out the rear sights you mentioned. I also thought about installing a barrel mounted gas block/ fixed A2 front sight right next to the muzzle brake to increase the sight radius and better match my corrected vision.
Old 09-09-2013, 1:12 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post

I picked up some EWL Slip2000 to try in lieu of CLP but the Slip2000 applicator doesn't allow for accurately or controlled use of the lube. I'll have to find another bottle applicator.
Old 09-09-2013, 1:26 PM

Quote:
My barrel twist is 1:8.

I'm going to check out the rear sights you mentioned. I also thought about installing a barrel mounted gas block/ fixed A2 front sight right next to the muzzle brake to increase the sight radius and better match my corrected vision.
Here you go. I forgot I had it saved to my phone.

Also, the sights I was speaking of, as far as I know, only really work with an A2 carry handle type sight, not a folding BUIS. They're still awesome, and while I was with Creedmoor we heard lots of success stories.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-09-2013, 1:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks Scuba951.