Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-11-2018, 3:57 AM

Default Missouri Bullets

Anyone use them? Thinking of trying some 230gr LRN in my SA 1911 for general plinking and paper punching. Curious about them. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2018, 4:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Yup, got some 158gr .38/.357 Magnum projectiles and they shot well, seemed to shoot better than X-Treme plated.

I bought 2 boxes of each of these (Brinell 18, sized to .358):
.357 Action! (358158M)
.357 Action!-Grooveless (HT-358158MGL)

I had some what appeared to be active-duty Marines (0311 and "Murika" stickers on the vehicle) come over from their lane to watch me hit the 50yd plate with my GP-100, as I was hitting it about every time with these...
I was using full-house "lead" loads, as I recall.
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds

Last edited by the86d; 05-11-2018 at 4:22 AM..
Old 05-11-2018, 8:46 AM

I've had real good results with their 148gr DEWC for Bullseye loads launched from the following: Colt Mid Range, S&W 52, GP100 6", Security Six 6". The coated models seem to help a lot with leading issues on the light loads. As of now I will continue to use them for the 38 BE and will use them for some BE loads for 2 Colt 45s I have set up for BE. Got the tip from FClasser here on Calguns. Mark
Old 05-11-2018, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

I use them for plinking loads in .30-30, though I'm moving to CheyCast (seems to be the same mold) since I can get Coated for the same price or a little less than I can get lead from MBC. I might have to re-work my plinking load though.

Or I can just buy another batch of lead

MBC bullets (rifle bullets at least) run pretty hard, you have to have enough pressure to obturate so if you were thinking of making light loads, you might have some leading issues.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:46 AM

'Cheese, you think I'd have leading issues in my .45auto with 230 LRN @ 770-825 fps? I know shooting "hotter" calibers[9mm, 40's, .357 and 44 mag] can lead the heck out of things. Also, when I shoot, I seldom shoot more than 100 rounds, then run a solvent patch thru the bore. Only shoot .38spl and .45 auto, so, not all that familiar with the leading issues.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

What hardness do they run their 230 LRN at? I seem to recall that those might be as 12 bhn or so (compared to 18 for their rifle bullets)? That's probably just fine if they fit.

Honestly, the most definitive way to ensure a clean bore is to have a good fit. If the bullet doesn't fit (0.001 or 0.002 over measured bore diameter) leading is almost assured no matter the hardness. When you buy bullets, sometimes you can get the size you need, sometimes you can't.

Lead isn't that difficult to deal with, so even if you do lead a bit it's not a big deal. Put a strand or two of copper 'chore boy' on a bronze brush and run it through the bore, that'll clean the lead out very quickly. I have a ruger .357 that seems to lead pretty badly with every factory lead round I've fired. I haven't started loading for that one yet though.

Shooting lead is all about balance pressure, hardness; once you have the size figured out

If you can't or won't slug your bore just start shooting the bullets and watch for obvious leading. About the only thing you can change with over the counter cast bullets is your load data, the brand of bullet, or possibly re-lubing with Lee Liquid Alox.

Or you could switch to coated bullets (Hitec or powder coat) and not worry about it.
Old 05-11-2018, 2:20 PM

The hardness is 18. the bullets load into cases like any other LRN and pass the plunk test easily. They chamber, cycle and eject just fine. I'll know for sure Mon, as I'll go to the range. And I plan on trying some coated bullets pretty soon. Thanks 'Cheese for the replies.
Old 05-11-2018, 2:31 PM

I have used both their lead and hi tek coated options. They all run great, however I've since switched to ACME. Same hi tek coating, cheaper price. I pretty much always run the hi tek over exposed lead except in my 44 just to even further reduce the chances of any leading.
Old 05-11-2018, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
The hardness is 18. the bullets load into cases like any other LRN and pass the plunk test easily. They chamber, cycle and eject just fine. I'll know for sure Mon, as I'll go to the range. And I plan on trying some coated bullets pretty soon. Thanks 'Cheese for the replies.
De nada!

If you don't know and if you are interested, slugging the bore will give you the exact measurement you need for ordering appropriately sized bullets in the future which will make finding a load that doesn't lead much easier.

Slugging your bore is easy, find a lead egg sinker slightly larger than bore diameter, grease it up, and use a brass rod to pound it through your bore form the chamber end. Once it comes out measure the largest diameter (it'll be groove to groove, but you're looking at the negative so keep that in mind). Order bullets 0.001 larger than that.

For rifles use multiple 6inch or so sections of brass rod.

Good luck, happy shooting. If you're unfamiliar with shooting lead bullets in general 'perfect' results will be an unleaded bore with a muzzle that looks like it has a slightly greased star pattern on the crown.
Old 05-11-2018, 4:14 PM

I am familiar with lead bullets, Speer, Hornady and x-treme, just not the Missouri ones. They should work fine, was just curious if anyone used them. I seem to like the accuracy of LRN over the plated RN, which I've been shooting lately. Thanks for your input 'Cheese. Helpful stuff to be sure.
Old 05-11-2018, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

I use their 200 grain .45 SWC in my 1911's. They win matches for me.

PM CG member Bumslie for a CalGun discount code for Missouri Bullets.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 05-11-2018 at 5:45 PM..
Old 05-11-2018, 5:53 PM

bigbossman, good to know. Thank you. I'll know more in a couple of days.
Old 05-11-2018, 7:09 PM

I have ordered and shot their 200 gr .45 oddball and 105 grn TC and 125 gr RNFP in .38, all coated with hi-tek. Very satisfied and great for punching paper. I just ordered 158 grn RN and 140 grn TC in .38, but haven't shot them yet. My order arrived within the 5-7 days as promised. 90% of my 158s were between 159.0 to 160.5 grns. Most of my 125 grns were between 126.0 to 127.7 grns. If I am being hyper critical, my only issue is that all of these bullets have a very small shoulder above the crimp line. This slows reloading the chamber of my revolvers ever so slightly since my cylinders are not chamfered.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Use coated bullets...not that much more and they are a lot cleaner to shoot.....MCB coated are good to go.
Old 05-12-2018, 1:50 PM

Missouri hi-tek 185gr and 200gr SWC shoot clean and accurate. Not winning matches but enjoy getting extra points for any thing thats not an Alpha.

Missouri +1

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 05-16-2018, 3:49 AM
Calguns Addict

It looks like you can save $0.008/rd on 158gr PC if you buy in bulk from Acme, but I have yet to buy from them, so far. Equates to about $20 savings per 2500.

I still have to stock up on MOAR 22lr before this year ends, and I haven't burned through the Missouri projectiles yet.
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds
Old 05-16-2018, 5:21 AM
Veteran Member

You need to be careful with some bullet makers.. they vary in price higher or lower. The thing you need to look out for is weight consistency. If you are plinking and just putting holes in targets its not a big deal. If you are going to matches where power factor is measured (USPSA Section or National matches) they will pull your bullets and shoot them over a chrono and measure power factor. If you don't know the consistency of your bullets if they are over or under, you might find yourself going minor or even worse, you might go sub minor and be shooting for no score.

I have a friend who must have gotten a bad batch of bullets from Acme as they were all over the map.. as much off as 177-183 gr in the same batch of 180's. He was getting an extreme spread as much as 100 fps. When he switched to another brand, his bullet weights were all closer to 180 (179-181) and his velocity problem tightened up.

Some bullet makers go light (a 180 might be 178) or heavy (200 is actually 203). The Premium bullet makers are generally near spot on, I've found that the brand names like Winchester or Remington are less accurate (a 125 might be 123-126), and the others want to be more consistent, but you get what you pay for.
Old 05-16-2018, 7:17 PM

Bought a lot of bullets from them 38's 40's, 44's 45acp and 45 colt. Very reasonable prices and usually 2 to 3 day shipping.
Old 05-16-2018, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Missouri Bullets are just fine.