Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-04-2017, 4:47 PM

Default Shipping powder

OK, guys. Maybe someone can help me out on this one. I have inherited several pounds of powder, which is unfortunately housed at a relative's place in California. I need to get the powder here to Texas, and certainly checking it as baggage next time I fly out there is not a solution!

I'm somewhat familiar with shipping hazmat stuff (I've had a class that "certified" me as a shipper), but not enough try this one off the cuff. Is there a reasonable way to ship the stuff to myself here in Houston? Any suggestions as to what carrier will accept such things from me as a private party, as opposed to a commercial client?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2017, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Pay the haz mat charge,thats all the carrier needs for powder.If it were me I would sell the powder cheap and buy what you want at your current location.
Old 06-04-2017, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

An individual cannot just "pay the hazmat charge". One must be the certified hazmat shipper and likely specific to powder/kind product. The gubmint requires paperwork and there's limits on what a carrier can ship per shipment. UPS didn't just dream up the charge. The gubmint made requirements and UPS added a fee to jump through the hoops.

The only legal way I can think of is to find a powder distribtor/dealer who ships powder and have him ship it. Cant see that as viable for a few pounds.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 06-04-2017, 5:40 PM

The sell it where it is concept is the best, but if you really must ship it because it is something hard to find, like H4350 or similar, then you just go to UPS and ask for the correct labels and pay the Hazmat fees. It isn't complicated.

The only reason for your own certification is if you do the packaging yourself and then they just pick it up. If you go to a full service center, and they do the packing and labeling, you won't have a problem. I have shipped powder and ammo to myself many times using FedEx and UPS.

Last edited by RegionRat; 06-04-2017 at 5:42 PM..
Old 06-05-2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionRat View Post
The sell it where it is concept is the best, but if you really must ship it because it is something hard to find, like H4350 or similar, then you just go to UPS and ask for the correct labels and pay the Hazmat fees. It isn't complicated.

The only reason for your own certification is if you do the packaging yourself and then they just pick it up. If you go to a full service center, and they do the packing and labeling, you won't have a problem. I have shipped powder and ammo to myself many times using FedEx and UPS.
Thanks for the information!!!

This is something on the order of 8-16lb of Ramshot Enforcer powder, in original factory packaging and in the box it was shipped in. Certainly a non-trivial amount of powder to move around. If I can take it to a UPS drop, that would probably work. Ship it here, and have them hold it at the station for pickup, as my apartment complex doesnt have a sense of humor about such things.

As far as my "own certification" goes, I have that through work (unfortunately, I can't take it there and ship from there, i'd lose my job in about an instant). I ship some "interesting" things a couple times a month, so I have to maintain the certification, and they pay for the classes to do that. Thing is, I don't ship anything in other hazard classes, so I'm not familiar enough that I care to try that on my own.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 PM

Yes, I understand about the separation of Church and State at work.

I got all my classes for FedEx and UPS due to work and can't ship from there either.

Powder, primers, etc., must go ground, but it isn't rocket science or illegal.

You do a search for a convenient UPS or FedEx service center near where you want it to end up, and ship it to yourself there on a Hold for Pick-up.
Old 06-06-2017, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdc View Post
Thanks for the information!!!

This is something on the order of 8-16lb of Ramshot Enforcer powder, in original factory packaging and in the box it was shipped in. Certainly a non-trivial amount of powder to move around. If I can take it to a UPS drop, that would probably work. Ship it here, and have them hold it at the station for pickup, as my apartment complex doesnt have a sense of humor about such things.

As far as my "own certification" goes, I have that through work (unfortunately, I can't take it there and ship from there, i'd lose my job in about an instant). I ship some "interesting" things a couple times a month, so I have to maintain the certification, and they pay for the classes to do that. Thing is, I don't ship anything in other hazard classes, so I'm not familiar enough that I care to try that on my own.

dont worry about the hazmat, just package it well sealed and your gtg. You swear they have dogs that sniff out gun powder. Actually they do but its mainly for drugs and its VERY RARELY like once a month sort of walk through of every truck. I'm not a lawyer so take my advice as a guy you met from the interwebz.
Old 06-06-2017, 3:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^ Don't let a brig bunny to be tell you to do something illegal. If you do use his name for return addresss and pay cash to ship(LOL) Sell it here. Take cash go to Academy and buy more.
Old 06-06-2017, 6:19 AM

I love people that say don't worry, just stick in a box and ship. No one will know it is powder, or a pistol, conflict diamonds, etc...
Old 06-06-2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
I love people that say don't worry, just stick in a box and ship. No one will know it is powder, or a pistol, conflict diamonds, etc...
One of the more enlightening parts of the hazmat shipping class (turns out I go for refresher next month) is the part where they tell you about the various fines and penalties for shipping that kind of thing improperly. I think I will stay WELL on THIS side of the rules, thanks.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:31 PM

Shipping plus Hazmat I think...might not be worth the fees.

Someone told me today that my YouTube channel can be found by typing "Dr D Gun Nut" into the YouTube search box. ROFL
Old 06-21-2017, 10:09 PM

It wouldn't hurt to call the UPS shipping center before you go.

They may only accept it at certain facilities.
Old 06-22-2017, 8:07 PM

No restrictions on shipping powder, unlike propellants. Dump it in some Johnson and Johnson jugs and your gtg. Unless the truck catches fire or the propellant sniffing dog is on duty that day.