Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-15-2016, 1:00 PM

Default AMMO RANT! Who Still Sells Ammo to CA?

Sorry, not sorry!

The number of companies that have STOPPED selling ammo to CA, and then more specifically LA, SAC, and Oakland is ABSURD.

CTD, PSA, SG, just to name a few.

Their misinformation and understanding on what these cities ordinances actually are is moronic. These companies have had these polices for years, and that's fine.....

But EFF them.

OK, I feel better... thanks... and go ahead and spew the "just buy somewhere else" and cranky typical responses (so predictable).

So, now to be more constructive: Where should I start to look about learning to reload? After this year in CA it's time to learn a new skill. Would love to learn about some websites that give some basics on what is needed to re-load and the space and costs associated.

Thanks!

-Cee
Old 07-15-2016, 1:10 PM
Speakeasy Contributor
CGN Contributor

"Just buy somewhere else" Bro.
Old 07-15-2016, 1:12 PM

Make friends with someone who works at an FFL.
Old 07-15-2016, 1:15 PM

Find a buddy in the valley

sent from deep within a tomato field
Old 07-15-2016, 1:46 PM

Learning to reload - buy some books and read them; find some youtube videos from the manufacturers (to begin with) and watch them; see if there is a calguns reloading group in your area that you can visit.

Lots of links in this thread - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=750493
Old 07-15-2016, 2:04 PM

Work to change the moronic laws. Get involved other than on a forum. Take the money you send to the NRA and help fund local gun-friendly politicians who will actually fight for your rights. Sitting around *****ing about it on the internet is lame and accomplishes nothing.
Old 07-15-2016, 2:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Maybe its where you live. I just got an order of ammo and i am in CA.
Old 07-15-2016, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

Plenty of dudes on this forum who can have ammo shipped to them and would be happy to receive it for you. All you have to do is ask.

Just sayin
Old 07-15-2016, 2:32 PM

I just got a couple of orders in. PSA still ships to CA. Couple of cities like LA and oakland have been blocked off for some time. My friend that has an LA address just ships it to another family member outside of the city limits.
Old 07-15-2016, 2:33 PM

I bought from SGammo within the last few weeks. Maybe your city sucks?
Old 07-15-2016, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Bass Pro refused to ship a case of shotgun ammo to me, and I'm not in a "restricted" county or city. Cabela's was more than happy to ship to me, no tax and $5 flat fee shipping. So, that's where I look first. Just got a bunch of .22 from them last week.

After fruitless calls and emails to Bass Pro trying to get them to understand that it was ok to ship to me, I gave up. I cancelled my Bass Pro Visa, and opened one up with Cabelas. Red Head gear sucks, anyway.

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."

-Wm F. Buckley
Old 07-15-2016, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Bass Pro refused to ship a case of shotgun ammo to me, and I'm not in a "restricted" county or city. Cabela's was more than happy to ship to me, no tax and $5 flat fee shipping. So, that's where I look first. Just got a bunch of .22 from them last week.

After fruitless calls and emails to Bass Pro trying to get them to understand that it was ok to ship to me, I gave up. I cancelled my Bass Pro Visa, and opened one up with Cabelas. Red Head gear sucks, anyway.
You will like that Cabelas card a lot!
Old 07-15-2016, 2:58 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Ammo permits will solve your issue as you will be forced to reload out of necessity.
Old 07-15-2016, 3:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So where are you I get ammo in la city. You must be on a watchlist.(LOL)
Old 07-15-2016, 3:02 PM

Cabelas still ships but their prices (although not horrible) arent great.

I'm in Oakland....

As far as getting involved other than just bitc*ing here (which is clearly all I wanted to do) I have been an ongoing financial supporter of the NRA, FPC and CRPA.... And will continue to do so.

And it's not that my CITY sucks so much as the cited companies have "no ammo ship" polices to these cities DESPITE there be ZERO city ordinances prohibiting ammo shipments.

I've discussed it with PSA before but they could really care less. Someone there decided they won't ship to certain CA cities, just cause....

I guess it will all be moot come 2018 when all online ammo sales will be prohibited....
Old 07-15-2016, 3:11 PM

atta boy, why not write them all a personal letter and tell them what a bunch of MF'ers they are, that'll show em.
Old 07-15-2016, 4:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedubG View Post
And it's not that my CITY sucks so much as the cited companies have "no ammo ship" polices to these cities DESPITE there be ZERO city ordinances prohibiting ammo shipments.
I know it sucks that there's companies that will not ship ammo to certain cities even when it's perfectly legal but can you really blame them?

We live in a state (and there's plenty of cities) that constantly change their 2a laws ALL THE TIME. The businesses that choose to not ship to certain areas probably donít know the current laws and they donít want to constantly keep up on them. I've always figured they choose to do this to steer clear of any potential legal headaches.
Old 07-15-2016, 4:40 PM

CTD, PSA, SG, are the suck when it comes to ammo.

Ammoman has been my favorite for the last few months.

Lucky gunner was, but they have started not over boxing their ammo, so out of 3 orders in a month, two were stolen or destroyed before arriving.
Horrible customer service, when I contacted them they were beyond rude.
Old 07-15-2016, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm in Oakland....
[...]
Didn't Oakland pass something in 2010 requiring ammo sellers to be licensed and take thumbprints and all that? Most online dealers will honor local laws like that even if it's not clear it should apply to an out of state entity because California cities have a history of suing them. See the "reload kit" debacle for an example.
Old 07-15-2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Didn't Oakland pass something in 2010 requiring ammo sellers to be licensed and take thumbprints and all that? Most online dealers will honor local laws like that even if it's not clear it should apply to an out of state entity because California cities have a history of suing them. See the "reload kit" debacle for an example.
No.
Old 07-15-2016, 7:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
atta boy, why not write them all a personal letter and tell them what a bunch of MF'ers they are, that'll show em.
What's that line from Red Dawn?

Col. Andy Tanner: All that hate is gonna burn you up kid.

Robert Morris: It keeps me warm.

-Cee!
Old 07-15-2016, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/johnso...il-3200718.php

https://oaklandnorth.net/2010/02/19/...ion-ordinance/
Old 07-15-2016, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

As I recall before their was a court decision on ammo shipments into SF and Oakland the local prosecutors threatened online dealers with civil actions. They just don't want the risk of being targeted by such rabid anti's for your business.
Old 07-16-2016, 5:11 AM

Quote:
What's that line from Red Dawn?

Col. Andy Tanner: All that hate is gonna burn you up kid.

Robert Morris: It keeps me warm.

-Cee!
I don't live in a movie make believe fantasy land. Company's have the right to sell to who ever the damn well please, grow up and get over it.
Old 07-16-2016, 6:03 AM
Calguns Addict

" Wolverines ? "
Old 07-16-2016, 6:22 AM

I live in Southern Calif. (not LA city) and the day after Gov. Moonbeam signed the bills, I felt it was prudent to "top off" my ammo supplies. I ordered .380 pistol, .308, .30-06, 9.3x62, and .375 H&H rifle on line. No problems whatsoever, and less expensive than gun show prices.
Old 07-16-2016, 7:22 AM

Eljay: Those ordinances are for sellers and buyers who sell/buy in brick and mortar shops in Oakland, thus..... There arent any ammo sellers in Oakland. No gun stores and no ammo sellers in Oakland at all.
Old 07-16-2016, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
I don't live in a movie make believe fantasy land. Company's have the right to sell to who ever the damn well please, grow up and get over it.
None of us live in a make believe land, except for some of these ammo sellers who make believe that there are ordinances to prohibit online sales to places like Oakland. And, when their error has been pointed out to them, they shrug.

As far as growing up and getting over it; if you refer to the titled to the thread and my subsequent comments within it, I am merely b*itching just to b*tch. I wasn't looking for solutions or ways to change these companies policies and there are several sellers out there that ship to me...

Sometimes ya just wanna yell loudly into the internet's abyss!!!

-Cee
Old 07-16-2016, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Eljay: Those ordinances are for sellers and buyers who sell/buy in brick and mortar shops in Oakland, thus..... There arent any ammo sellers in Oakland. No gun stores and no ammo sellers in Oakland at all.
OK, so now that you've acknowledged the ordinances exist, you just don't think they apply, go back and see what multiple people wrote about lawsuits. There's a history of California (the state) and individual cities within California (San Francisco notably) suing out of state entities over such ordinances saying they DO apply. It's very expensive to defend against such a suit and out of state companies have no interest in being a test case in order to open up one city's worth of market.
Old 07-16-2016, 8:15 AM
Calguns Addict

The companies realize Californians are mostly idiots and do not care.
Old 07-16-2016, 8:31 AM

Quote:
OK, so now that you've acknowledged the ordinances exist, you just don't think they apply, go back and see what multiple people wrote about lawsuits. There's a history of California (the state) and individual cities within California (San Francisco notably) suing out of state entities over such ordinances saying they DO apply. It's very expensive to defend against such a suit and out of state companies have no interest in being a test case in order to open up one city's worth of market.

I think you're missing a link. The Oakland ordinance you cited to applies ONLY to buyers and sellers conducting a transaction IN Oakland. Both parties have to be in Oakland at the time of sale for the ordinance to apply. (Again which is why there are no brick and mortar ammo sellers in Oakland)

Relying on SFGate, BANG papers, or the Tribune for accurate and unbiased 2A reporting is dangerous! Here's the text of the ordinance I think you are getting at: http://clerkwebsvr1.oaklandnet.com/a...ents/24223.pdf

And upon reading it you will see that the law focus on "ammunition vendors within the city."

My rant has noting to do with that. My rant has everything to do with internet sales that are not subject to a single rule, law, or ordinance.

If you think I'm wrong, please cite to the ordinance that prohibits online sales (from out of state) to an Oakland resident. (hint: there is none, but I'm happy to see what you come up with).

Also I don't think there are any lawsuits by city's against out of state ammo sellers alleging that the sellers were violating some city ordinance for selling to the citizens within the City. (Well there certainly haven't been any lawsuits bu Oakland for that).

If there are suits from other cities in the state please show me the link to the suits, I'd be interested in seeing what the actual Complaint says.

-Cee

Last edited by ceedubG; 07-16-2016 at 8:43 AM..
Old 07-16-2016, 10:55 AM

I'm in one of those named cities that makes it hard to get ammo, but I still get ammo delivered. Find a UPS store in the suburbs near your work, preferably if the suburb is a different name. Live in LA? Go to Glendale or West Covina. SF? Daly City or El Cerrito. Don't even need an acct, they'll just charge $5 per delivery. Don't need to tell them ahead of time either, they'll accept & sign for it regardless.

Yeah, the extra $5 kinda sucks, but there will always be someone there to sign for it, it gets placed behind the counter so no one grabs it, and businesses get delivered early so I can pick it up during lunch. It's especially helpful for reloaders because hazmat deliveries require a signature, and I don't want to take a day off work just to sign for a box of powder.

Or you could just keep ranting, cause apparently you need extra warmth in July?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

S&G gets all my loaded ammo business..just gave the UPS guy's hernia a work out last week..they got no problem with California as long as it's not the forbidden city things....Gander is delivering next week. I went to Turners following their "ad" and found that the local store has not had any of what was advertised for months..turns out the ad took their total "chain wide" +10 amount and that was what they posted...I'm pretty much done with them..and I won't shop at wally world...get enough and then get some more..with CD's at 1/2 of 1% I think ammo and components will be a better investment when the crunch comes..I'm not going to be a gouger but I will ask the going market when the time comes...anyone can do that if they buy now.
Old 07-16-2016, 1:41 PM

Well I guess it's time to start learning reloading. More toys!!!
Old 07-16-2016, 2:05 PM

This is from PSA's website

We WILL NOT ship ammunition to the following areas:
This is not a comprehensive list, but is meant as a guide.
It is in no way meant to include all laws and restrictions across the United States.
Please contact the authorities in your area for any possible restrictions.
If you do live in a restricted area, your order will be cancelled.

- California: No Sales to the cities of Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco, or Avalon.

Do you live in one of these areas? If so you most likely aren't going to get anyone to ship to you.
I've seen the same thing listed on other website as well.

That being said, Sportsman's Guild won't ship to my address and I'm not in a restricted area. Most other online suppliers will.
Keep looking.
Old 07-16-2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
This is from PSA's website

We WILL NOT ship ammunition to the following areas:
This is not a comprehensive list, but is meant as a guide.
It is in no way meant to include all laws and restrictions across the United States.
Please contact the authorities in your area for any possible restrictions.
If you do live in a restricted area, your order will be cancelled.

- California: No Sales to the cities of Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco, or Avalon.

Do you live in one of these areas? If so you most likely aren't going to get anyone to ship to you.
I've seen the same thing listed on other website as well.

That being said, Sportsman's Guild won't ship to my address and I'm not in a restricted area. Most other online suppliers will.
Keep looking.
I do... I live in Oakland...

And as was discussed above, PSA's refusal to sell ammo to those listed cities is not based on any city ordinance prohibiting said city's citizens of purchasing ammo online. It's just that PSA has someone who believes that, and despite being shown the error of their ways, they have no interest in being corrected and adding customers from those cities.

Many other online retailers do ship to Oakland, LA etc., but the prices are not nearly as competitive.

As a side note, it would be interesting to know if any of these online ammo retailers donated money to fight the ammo registration bill here in CA. Clearly CA is a huge market and it would be nice to know that the retailers recognized that and at least contributed to the effort.

-Cee
Old 07-16-2016, 2:31 PM

Make your own.
Old 07-16-2016, 4:12 PM

I just read the Oakland ordnance that deals with ammunition sale and it seems a bit vague to me. Chapter 9.20 - AMMUNITION SALES REGISTRATION
Old 07-16-2016, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Also I don't think there are any lawsuits by city's against out of state ammo sellers alleging that the sellers were violating some city ordinance for selling to the citizens within the City. (Well there certainly haven't been any lawsuits bu Oakland for that).
I think we're kind of circling the drain here. I can give you examples of California and Californian cities suing companies outside of California for all kinds of things, but no, not the narrow tiny thing you're asking for, not off the top of my head. Do you really think it matters, like oh, they've sued for X, Y, and Z but they totally won't do it for this?

So the lawsuit that has everybody so freaked out is about "Rebuild Kits". At the time magazine rebuild kits were totally legal. The city of San Francisco sued three companies for selling rebuild kits into San Francisco - again, totally legal product. All three ended up settling.

Here's some links to get you started.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=776301

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...it-4592551.php

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pa...t-suit-39.html

Notice Exile actually says how much they paid to settle (on top of whatever legal fees they'd already spent).

In that environment I find it hard to blame anybody for not selling ammo into Oakland.
Old 07-16-2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
I think we're kind of circling the drain here. I can give you examples of California and Californian cities suing companies outside of California for all kinds of things, but no, not the narrow tiny thing you're asking for, not off the top of my head. Do you really think it matters, like oh, they've sued for X, Y, and Z but they totally won't do it for this?

So the lawsuit that has everybody so freaked out is about "Rebuild Kits". At the time magazine rebuild kits were totally legal. The city of San Francisco sued three companies for selling rebuild kits into San Francisco - again, totally legal product. All three ended up settling.

Here's some links to get you started.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=776301

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...it-4592551.php

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pa...t-suit-39.html

Notice Exile actually says how much they paid to settle (on top of whatever legal fees they'd already spent).

In that environment I find it hard to blame anybody for not selling ammo into Oakland.
Seriously?

Not sure you've got your euphemisms correct there. I am "circling" the fact there are no regulations prohibiting ammo sales to Oakland residents from vendors outside Oakland. That. Is. All. I've. Been. Trying. To. Tell. You. This. Whole. Time.

For some reason you realllllllly want to be right on this point so you keep trying to change my point to fit your facts, despite that I've even provided you the Oakland City Ordinance.

Who was talking about rebuild kits?

Andddd, that "narrow thing" I'm "asking for" is the complete point of what I have been saying through out this whole thread.

No Ammo regulations for online sales in Oakland.

Your comments on rebuild kits have zero bearing on what I'm talking about and zero relevance to my points and observations. We call that a red herring in my industry.

Apples meet oranges....

To end your post with "I find it hard to blame anybody for not selling ammo into Oakland" only shows that you feel like it's OK to be lazy and not read the actual rules/ordinances and you give a pass to companies that do the same because it's easier. Not the best 2A support when it's needed every where (even Oakland).

I hope this has been educational for you, 'cause all I was intending on doing was to b*tch into the abyss of the internet about silly fallacious ammo restrictions.

I do hope you now have realized there are actually no laws that prevent PSA or their ilk from selling to Oakland, LA etc.

Thanks.

-Cee