Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:37 AM

Default Reloading kit help

So I want to start to get into reloading. I currently just plan to reload 223/556 and 9mm. I also wanted to start on a single stage press.

I've seen quite a few kits out there and thought I would settle on one by RCBS.
Only thing is there are like 3 different kits at different price points.

I was leaning towards one of the rockchucker kits.
I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
If you suck with irons you will suck with optics. The difference is the aimpoint will allow you to suck faster and a scope will give you a closer look at how much you suck.

Last edited by Whitefang; 06-17-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Old 06-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Excellent choice.
You can also get a lesser cost RCBS kit and it will just have less leverage in the press.
This can be good especially when seating bullets. I have a RC and a RCBS Jr(an old press). I resize pistol brass and seat bullets on the Jr and resize rifle brass on the RC. I also have a Hornady press just for my 50BMG which is also a good one for reloading other cartridges.
You can resize and seat bullets on the RC and I did for quite a few years. To me reloading is another hobby and getting more equipment is just part of the hobby. I also have multiple scales(beam and electronic) as well as the dispenser and scale as one unit......which I like best.
I do not know where you are located but if you are near me I would be glad to help you learn about reloading and answer any questions.

I would recommend a single stage and if you later get a progressive you will still use the single stage press. Batch process and remember it take 30 seconds to change dies. If you get dies with good lock rings(NOT lee) you will have no need to readjust them when changing dies.

If you have not please get a manual or two, I suggest the Lyman #49 or 50 and read it. That will answer 90% of your questions and it has good data also.

Reloading is a good hobby so enjoy it and do not place too much value on the time spent with it. You will be much more happy.
Old 06-17-2016, 1:16 PM

Is there a big difference between both versions of those books?
You're about 230 miles away from me lol I'm in Los angeles

Quote:
If you suck with irons you will suck with optics. The difference is the aimpoint will allow you to suck faster and a scope will give you a closer look at how much you suck.
Old 06-17-2016, 1:26 PM
Resident a**hole
CGN Contributor

the RCBS rockchucker is basically the standard, I am sure that I will get crap for that, but it will do everything you could ever want it to do & if I were to be buying another single stage press it would be either the rockchucker or the redding bigboss II... but only because the redding press has the empty primer tube, though I have seen that people are making a 3d printed primer collection thingie for the rcbs press now as well.
Old 06-17-2016, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

The only real difference, I am told, is that #50 has a few new cartridges in it the #49 did not. I would get whatever one you can for the best price. But that is just me.
Well if you get up my way stop by. If you would like to talk PM me and I will give you my phone number.

Some may give Bastard crap about the RCBS RC being the standard but he is correct. When I started I do believe they had not even started making it. Lee did not even have a press/dies and most of what they sell as reloading equipment today. They did have a kit you used a hammer with and a powder scoop kit. Not sure Hornady even had a press/dies etc,,,,just bullets and they competed with MEC for the shotgun reloading market. They lost. Lyman had stuff and I believe Redding. Herters(before Cabelas bought the name) had stuff and I even still have one of their 1st manuals. Reading it is almost as funny as reading the lee one Herters went away just like Alcan powders/primers which I still have some of and a few other companies for equipment and supplies.. Not sure if Dillon was selling reloader but think they had the 450 which has been upgraded to the 550 now.
I started in the early 1960's for reference. Most stores only carried RCBS stuff. There was no internet but catalog sales would have some other brands as I remember.

Yes RCBS is the standard just as Nosler Partition is the standard other bullets are judged by. For the lee people who think lee is top shelf ....even lee compared his stuff to RCBS. Also RCBS was the one who had the very best, no BS, war that others have copied in part or whole. Dillon was the same except I do not remember when they started selling products. I have a set of Lyman dies I got in 1972 and still work fine so I do remember them. Lee has never evn come close in honoring the war they talk about from my experiences.

Last edited by Divernhunter; 06-17-2016 at 2:10 PM..
Old 06-17-2016, 2:22 PM

Cant go wrong with RCBS!
Old 06-17-2016, 2:42 PM

I bought a Rockchucker kit to start off in 1977, most of the kit is still in use on my bench (I don't use the lube pad). I've since added a Dillon XL650, but the Rockchucker is still my go-to press for loading rifle rounds. Redding also makes a good press.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 06-17-2016, 3:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The only kit I’ve seen lately that has everything you really need is the RCBS Rock Chucker Select kit Natchesz carries-

https://www.natchezss.com/rc-supreme-select-kit.html

I know it’s pricey (there is a $75 rebate to help) but everything in that kit is good quality and is something you’ll actually use for years.
Old 06-17-2016, 4:45 PM

DH thanks I'll more than likely take you up on that.
What sets that kit apart from he others?

Quote:
Old 06-17-2016, 5:05 PM

Still loading with my 1978 Rock Chucker. The newer ones don't throw the primers everyplace like the old ones.
Old 06-17-2016, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

^^ Yes but mine has been paid for since forever it seems and I have a vacuum cleaner to get the ones on the floor I will not get the newer one.
Old 06-17-2016, 6:03 PM

Although the RCBS will got the job done, Redding makes a more quality product. They will both last a lifetime.
Old 06-17-2016, 6:17 PM

So would you guys advise a kit
Or piece it together

Quote:
Old 06-17-2016, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I always liked the "RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit" as a good first time buyers press kit.

All the included tools, scales, thrower, is all good quality stuff, and IMO worth the added expense over something like a Lee kit. Note that the metering drum in that kit is large, good for rifle, but too large for pistol.

If you easily piece it out yourself, but half the problem is you really don't know what you do and don't need yet for your own reloading workflow. I didn't really know what I wanted or needed until after I jumped in and got going.

The only thing I continue to use from that kit today is the hand priming tool which I think is awesome, and the reloading manual.

Scales have been replaced with GemPro 250, and id like to replace that again with something even nicer if I ever get around to it. The powder thrower is replaced with an electronic dispenser...

On top of that, I refuse to reload pistol ammo on a single stage, so I have another complete press setup based on their Pro 2000 Auto Index...

Point being, just start with something in your price range, and adjust accordingly. Its rare you will get it right out of the gate, plus you have plenty of other things to worry about like calipers, case trimmers, dies, and other tooling which is generally NOT included in most kits.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 06-17-2016 at 6:29 PM..
Old 06-17-2016, 6:53 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The kit is just a starting point. You will likely replace or add on to most of the equipment once you get going. I'd go with the RCBS kits first, the Hornady sets second, and the Lee sets third if you are getting a starter set. This is based on my perceived utility and quality of what comes in each set.
Old 06-17-2016, 8:00 PM
Resident a**hole
CGN Contributor

buy the RCBS RC Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit, sell the scale & throw the case lube pad at your neighbor, buy some Dillon case lube (or make your own), a trimmer and a chargemaster and you will be good to go
Old 06-17-2016, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
the RCBS rockchucker is basically the standard, I am sure that I will get crap for that, but it will do everything you could ever want it to do & if I were to be buying another single stage press it would be either the rockchucker or the redding bigboss II... but only because the redding press has the empty primer tube, though I have seen that people are making a 3d printed primer collection thingie for the rcbs press now as well.
Been using a rockchucker for 18 years.I do all my rifle on that press and also 10mm.I prefer to inspect at every stage trim brass,clean pockets out.

Back then i also shot quite a bit of 45 and it was my only handgun caliber til recently so i bought a dillion SDB great press but when something goes wrong it goes quickly and can take time to get it running right again.
Old 06-17-2016, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937...tage-press-kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/720...r-and-9-pilots

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/102...mbler-110-volt
Old 06-18-2016, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Still loading with my 1978 Rock Chucker. The newer ones don't throw the primers everyplace like the old ones.
Same here, I bought my Rock Chucker new (as part of a kit) some time in the '70s. Still use it, it's not the best for priming, get the Lee auto prime or similar, as the Rock Chucker seems to want to install primers at the worst spot leverage wise in the stroke. I understand the newer Rock Chuckers handle spent primers much better.

I've moved on to a progressive (LnL) but still use the RC now and then for odd jobs like primer pocket swagging, and small batch stuff that I'm not set up to do on the LnL . I typically leave my RC set set up to swage primer pockets when I run into them while loading on my progressive.
Front Sight DG
CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: CA & AZ
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack
Old 06-21-2016, 7:17 PM

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/828...tage-press-kit

Is this kit worth the few extra dollars? Also looking to reload for the first time
Old 06-21-2016, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That's not a bad kit but personally I'd look for something that has a heavier duty press.
Old 06-21-2016, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc870 View Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/828...tage-press-kit

Is this kit worth the few extra dollars? Also looking to reload for the first time
Its actually a lower end press than the Rock Chucker... it just has more accessories than the RC Kit so the price is a little more expensive...

If you want a single stage by RCBS, get the RC. That really is the best place to start.

The smaller cheaper presses like the Jr are great as a 2nd press for something like a decapping station or for bullet seating only but the RC has strength and isn't a aluminum construction like the one you listed.
Old 06-21-2016, 9:07 PM

Cool. Glad I asked. Almost pulled the trigger!
Old 06-21-2016, 9:17 PM

If I had someone guiding me through the process, I'd piece a kit together. Lots of good used stuff comes up for less than a preassembled kit.

If you're in LA, head down to Reload OC in Anaheim and talk to Brian. He has a bunch of presses you can try and he'll walk you through the process and answer questions. I'm new to reloading as well and had questions at every step.

I bought the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit and ended up adding a used Lyman press for decapping, an RCBS Partner for swaging and seating, and use for the Rock Chucker for sizing because the of leverage. It goes quickly once you get past the brass prepping.
Old 06-21-2016, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

You might want to take a look at this :

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1194059

-Wm F. Buckley
Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Making 9mm or even .223 on a single stage will not last long. Start with a turret at least...

Lee Classic Turret with 4 holes and carbide die set for 9mm. If your .223 is for a bolt gun, single stage is fine, but if you wanna shoot it out of an arf or semi- you will want to go faster, and you will be happier with a turret for being able to go faster.

But if you insist on following the previous advice, at LEAST get the quick change bushings. It will not turn your SS into a turret, but it will give you a bit more speed when it comes to changing out dies.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Old 06-22-2016, 2:20 AM
Veteran Member

Stick with the single stage and buy it all separately to avoid paying for stuff you will never use or need.
Press
Scale
Priming Tool
Chamfer
Digital Caliper
Comparator
Powder Funnel
Reloading Tray
Everything else is fluff.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 06-22-2016, 3:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Making 9mm or even .223 on a single stage will not last long. Start with a turret at least...

Lee Classic Turret with 4 holes and carbide die set for 9mm. If your .223 is for a bolt gun, single stage is fine, but if you wanna shoot it out of an arf or semi- you will want to go faster, and you will be happier with a turret for being able to go faster.

But if you insist on following the previous advice, at LEAST get the quick change bushings. It will not turn your SS into a turret, but it will give you a bit more speed when it comes to changing out dies.
You have to agree that most people who are "here to stay", will eventually end up with more than 1 press... and a single stage is never a bad thing to have around, even if you own a turret and/or a progressive.

IMO it really doesn't matter what you start with... I started with a RCBS Pro 2000 Progressive, and added a single stage because its that useful... but I do agree with your turret recommendation if pistol ammo is in the mix.

I just think a single stage should be on every bench anyways so why not start there?
Old 06-22-2016, 3:50 AM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

I am often wrong. But the (Lee Classic Turret) turret press works fantastically for me for pistol rounds.

I do enjoy having turret tops that are for different calibers and are pre-adjusted. They can be swapped out in 30 seconds.

It works well for me and I don't load any rifle rounds.

Old 06-22-2016, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
You have to agree that most people who are "here to stay", will eventually end up with more than 1 press... and a single stage is never a bad thing to have around, even if you own a turret and/or a progressive.

IMO it really doesn't matter what you start with... I started with a RCBS Pro 2000 Progressive, and added a single stage because its that useful... but I do agree with your turret recommendation if pistol ammo is in the mix.

I just think a single stage should be on every bench anyways so why not start there?
You are correct. 100% ABSOLUTELY correct (in my mind anyways) but here is why. I am appealing to the OP's inner child of wanting to be able to crank out ammo as fast as possible while still learning and developing good habits.

But if my ONLY choice to start was a single stage, and I was shooting 9mm or .223, well, 9mm, then I would have been turned off by all of the work for highly precise ammo made to be shot out of a handgun with crappy iron sights. But having that turret and the auto powder dropper and all made reloading fun to start with. It was an explosive start (no pun intended) because all I could think about was all of the money I was saving making .44 mag and 9mm and being all scientific like with a chrony out in the range testing loads. I was performing a hobby with a purpose finally...

But I started on the turret. Had that been 9mm and on a single stage press, I would not have been as thrilled, oh WOW! a whole hour for 50 shots... But on the turret, oh wow, 200+ rds an hour starting out! Now I got a real pile of ammo that I was able to make...

Then when SHTF and obummer opened his mouth and .223 got scarce, I found a die set and a cheap press that I had had for a while (JRRC) and knew that if I wanted to make some .223 I needed to make the bullets first. So I started swaging on the SINGLE STAGE. Yeah, they may turn out excellent ammo, but I just needed it to smash lead into .22lr and derim them and form points... By that time I was able to recognize the value of a single stage. But even though I had a single stage before I bought my LCT, I never put it on the bench because I did not like the idea of making 9mm so slow.

So I am appealing to the inner funster. But yes, once OP settles down and decides that maybe he needs to swage a little here or there or resize or size pills, he should certainly get a single stage.

AND in the enevt that I am wrong, at least he should consider getting the RC with the removable QC bushings. Then it is ALMOST as fast as a turret (when you do loads in batches and have the dies set and each in the proper QC bushing and setup correctly).

That is why. But yes, certainly do not discount the value of the single stage press, but you can certainly consider it while you are making rounds faster on the turret.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Old 06-22-2016, 4:14 PM
Calguns Addict

You do have a point... I often times forget I never experienced that "frustration" of having to make pistol ammo on a single stage and or getting turned off by it.

If I had started with a single stage I would have probably bought my 2nd press pretty damn fast if I was making pistol ammo.

I went "deep end" when I decided to do it... I started on a 5 stage progressive making 223 rifle match ammo as my FIRST venture into reloading and I was having the time of my life learning... and half the fun making pistol ammo was the 1 round per pull slot machine operation.

That said, I have a friend and a neighbor who appear to be completely content reloading their pistol and rifle ammo on a single stage...
Old 06-22-2016, 5:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post

That said, I have a friend and a neighbor who appear to be completely content reloading their pistol and rifle ammo on a single stage...
Lol.. Extreme this is so true!!

A few years ago my sisters and I split the cost and bought my brother-in-law an RCBS Pro 2000 auto indexing press for Christmas. He liked it and reloaded some rounds on it but not a lot. He ended up giving me the press because he’s perfectly happy loading handgun rounds (lately .25 ACP) on his Redding Big Boss. Like you write, some people are perfectly content with reloading everything on a single stage even if it takes them a lot longer.
Old 06-22-2016, 5:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Three presses on my bench, 2 single stage and Lee cast turret.

The turret gets used the most, by far the most versatile. Dies all set in their own turret for each different round, 30 sec. to change turret, is the way to go. Extra turret with puller, universal decapper, crimp or what ever you want.
I also prime on it.
Use it single stage or round and round.

If I could only have one press because of space, etc. it would be a turret.
9mm, 223--- turret all day long.
YMMV

Best
caveman
Old 06-22-2016, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseclipse View Post
Lol.. Extreme this is so true!!

A few years ago my sisters and I split the cost and bought my brother-in-law an RCBS Pro 2000 auto indexing press for Christmas. He liked it and reloaded some rounds on it but not a lot. He ended up giving me the press because hes perfectly happy loading handgun rounds (lately .25 ACP) on his Redding Big Boss. Like you write, some people are perfectly content with reloading everything on a single stage even if it takes them a lot longer.
Some people just like it, some don't need the speed or volume, which is totally fine... My neighbors justification was quality, he liked the small batch processing ,and the mental simplicity of just worrying about 1 task at a time.

I very much like a single stage workflow for rifle ammo... but sometimes I do use my progressive when I have a larger volume of 223 ammo, but to keep the speed and quality up I actually use two separate competition seating dies on that press. One with a feeding port, and the other with a better seating stem and a bullet guide.

You couldn't pay me to make pistol ammo on a single stage press... the amount of brass handling is too much... for that I agree with the turret recommendation, even as a first press because you can still apply single stage workflows to it.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:34 PM

How does this one work for a press? I'm looking for something that can produce in volume, and if I budget ~1k I feel like I still have enough money for other items I need as well

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl650_8_1_23803.html
Old 06-22-2016, 10:40 PM

Some 'Old Guys' type reloaders have discovered the Redding T7 press. Expensive for sure.

When the user uses words like, 'Produce' and 'Volume' it's time to see Mr. Dillion. And bring lots of money. I did, and the Dillions are worth it.

Last edited by hambam105; 06-22-2016 at 10:43 PM..
Old 06-24-2016, 8:15 AM

I appreciate all of your guys advice, cranking out ammo as fast as possible isn't much of a concern for me. I do not shoot as frequently as some of you might. Even if it takes a bit longer on a SS press I think itd be another hobby and something to do when I have free time.

I just picked up Lyman's 49th edition book and think I'll read that over.
I'll also go check out that place in Anaheim! Thanks a lot for your help fellas

Quote:
Old 06-24-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye4 View Post
I bought a Rockchucker kit to start off in 1977, most of the kit is still in use on my bench (I don't use the lube pad). I've since added a Dillon XL650, but the Rockchucker is still my go-to press for loading rifle rounds. Redding also makes a good press.
I got started on a Rockchucker kit in 1982. That is a great start to a great hobby.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I "upgraded" my Rock Chucker by installing the Hornady bushing kit to it, now my dies plug and play into it.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 06-24-2016, 9:13 PM

I agree with stilly .
I have a Lee loadmaster [ ? ] 5 station .
To me Lee's auto primer sucks . I started years ago just hand priming .
When I bought the Lee , it was all they had in stock . Lee's warranty is terrible - bad enough that I just order what I break or wear out .
Presses are like cars - different people like for different reasons .
You should also check the prices of parts and if in stock .