Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-01-2008, 9:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default AK with valmet/galil type irons?

I'm new to the AK platform and am looking for a trunk gun/plinker AK style but can't seem to find one in a low/moderate price range. My requirements are:

1) CAL legal (will install a mag/rad..etc lock)
2) 5.45x39
3) folding stock
4) it must have a rear iron sight near the back of the receiver or be able to be cheaply modified
5) $500 or less

#4 seems tough as it seems the variants with this (galil, valmet, SA) are $$$. Is there are cheap way to modify a "standard" AK-74?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The best AK sight I've found is the Mojo sight. It's not too expensive, and pretty easy to install (if you've got strong hands, or the right tool for the job...). It replaces the standard sight, but is 100X better.

$500 sounds a bit low to me for an AK74...

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 01-01-2008, 11:20 AM
CGN Contributor

heres what i would do

buy a bulgarian AKS-74 kit from ORF

install a muzzle device to the end so you wont have to fix the stock.

buy a side rail and russion kobra mount. I know you are looking for iron sights, but anyone as far back as you want would be on the dust cover, which moves around when firing. The side rain lets you do pretty much whatever you want. Hell, you could get a railed mount and put an AR sight on there for all i care
----------------------------
With my feet upon the ground, I move myself between the sound and Open wide to suck it in I feel It move across my skin
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

You can try and find a Knirnkov cover, but that will cost you some money as well. As said, $500 for an AK-74 will be pushing those Century import WASRs and that's about it. Hell, most AK-74 kits alone go for that much and many times more. Just curious, but why does it HAVE to be the russian 5.45x39? I mean, an important attribute to a trunk gun, at least in my opinion, is ease of finding ammo so in case it becomes an emergency last ditch weapon you can still scrounge. If you ask me the 5.56 variants would be better suited and give better ballistics.

In any event, if you REALLY need that rear sight, there is a DIY option. The dustcovers on AKs fit fairly loose, relative to their better made counterparts. You can have a welded weld on a sight base and then tack on a couple 'legs' to the bottom of the dust cover where it rest in the trunion and weld a thicker seam around the front where it rests in sight block. Fit by hand with files until the dust cover fits nice and solidly tight. Then you can weld on a small platform and place any sight you want on it, this is how they are attached at the factory anyways.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

You can then use any sight you want, just have the appropriate base welded on. You could put a G3 rear sight on it, Galil sight, Valemt, AR, etc. Then the front sight post is adjusted accordingly. If you do proper math it shouldn't be more than a mm or two off in the end. And there you have it. Also, with the solid dust cover you can add a single picatinny rail near the very front and use it to mount a quick throw Aimpoint or the likes (although I would NOT use the dust cover to mount anything more precise than an electric 1-3x magnification sight). There you go.

Sorry for the double post, but my browser kept crashing with the full thing so I chopped off a bit and it went through and then the last bit came through on the second post.
Old 01-01-2008, 2:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
heres what i would do

buy a bulgarian AKS-74 kit from ORF

install a muzzle device to the end so you wont have to fix the stock.

buy a side rail and russion kobra mount. I know you are looking for iron sights, but anyone as far back as you want would be on the dust cover, which moves around when firing. The side rain lets you do pretty much whatever you want. Hell, you could get a railed mount and put an AR sight on there for all i care
good stuff, i think the side mount is the way to go assume it doest get in the way of the stock when folded.

but it looks like the kits already have a muzzle brake, why would that require me to fix the stock? i looks like it will be over 30" in length but I am just eye balling it

any word on the ORF AK receiver quality?, there is a big piss**g match right now about their galil's
Old 01-01-2008, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

The problem is most AKs with folding stocks don't reach 30" when folded. You can either fix the stock or add length to the folded overall length. Some people add it to the stock end, but some people don't like that; so adding a longer muzzle attachment is the most desirable. I don't think the standard AK-74 muzzle brake is long enough to reach 30", but I could be wrong. If it doesn't, then you'll need a longer attachment. That's what he meant.
Old 01-01-2008, 9:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

neo, thanks for the info, as i peel think onion layers, more seem to remain. I found some old ak-folder threads so now i realize that most are under 30" folded because the barrels are so short ~16", guess i'm used to the FAL world where 20+" are more common.

i need to decide if a folded is worth the $$
Old 01-01-2008, 9:35 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWeird View Post
The problem is most AKs with folding stocks don't reach 30" when folded. You can either fix the stock or add length to the folded overall length. Some people add it to the stock end, but some people don't like that; so adding a longer muzzle attachment is the most desirable. I don't think the standard AK-74 muzzle brake is long enough to reach 30", but I could be wrong. If it doesn't, then you'll need a longer attachment. That's what he meant.
exactly. heres my bulgarian 74 built on an NDS-2SF and ORF kit

with the normal brake, it comes to about 2 inches under the 30" req. I semi permanently attached a bayonet until my PBS-5 comes. Remember, the muzle device does not need to be permanently attached since it is not a federal requirement. I love my 74, it is a fantastic gun.
With my feet upon the ground, I move myself between the sound and Open wide to suck it in I feel It move across my skin
Old 01-02-2008, 5:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
exactly. heres my bulgarian 74 built on an NDS-2SF and ORF kit

with the normal brake, it comes to about 2 inches under the 30" req. I semi permanently attached a bayonet until my PBS-5 comes. Remember, the muzle device does not need to be permanently attached since it is not a federal requirement. I love my 74, it is a fantastic gun.
Lateralus - that rifle is exactly what I want, without the bayonet.

would this barrel extension give you enough to meet the 30" requirement?

http://dpharms.com/2-inch-barrel-extention-p-36.html

also I was think of getting a fixed stock kit and adding the Tapco furniture as it looks like it might add some length to the back when folded versus the standard folder...still doing some research. plus this would save some $$ as a standard kit $200 less and the furn is only $80.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 PM
CGN Contributor

it might... my 74 is at solidsnake87's house right now, ill measure it when i pick it up.

That is advertised for an AMD-65, which *i think* is the same threads as an AK-47: 14mm left hand. 74s have a different thread, 17mm right IIRC.

About the furniture; the fixed stock would give you legal length, no problems whatsoever. Just remember, if you buy a sidefolding kit, you cant just slap a new stock on. Both the trunion and receiver are for the sidefolder; you would need to pick one or the other. And remember, tapco furniture = more 922(r) parts

Last edited by Lateralus; 01-02-2008 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: last paragraph thingy
Old 01-03-2008, 9:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I "think" the bulgarians are 24mmx1.5 as i found a few 14x24mm adaptors. so now I don't know what to do. I guess I need to detailed scematics that show the lengths measurements of the ak-variants. I was thinking of maybe get a cheap fixed stock WASR in 5.45, add the tapco stock (not sure what modifications are necessary) and then what ever combination of parts to the barrell to get the length to 30" (i.e. a barrell extension/adaptor/bulgarian style brake) BUT it looks like most of these do not already have a brake so the barrells are probably not threaded already.....

Quote:
it might... my 74 is at solidsnake87's house right now, ill measure it when i pick it up.

That is advertised for an AMD-65, which *i think* is the same threads as an AK-47: 14mm left hand. 74s have a different thread, 17mm right IIRC.

About the furniture; the fixed stock would give you legal length, no problems whatsoever. Just remember, if you buy a sidefolding kit, you cant just slap a new stock on. Both the trunion and receiver are for the sidefolder; you would need to pick one or the other. And remember, tapco furniture = more 922(r) parts