Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-11-2013, 8:41 PM

Default County Sheriff Election (Madera)

In 2014 Madera County will have a new sheriff with the present Sheriff John Anderson retiring from the office he has held since 1998.

I know that other counties in California will have sheriff elections coming up also. My question is how many of you that live in the counties where the sheriff elections are going to be taking place will be asking the incoming candiates about their position on concealed weapon permits.

Madera County has always given a lot of permits out, but that could easily change depending on whom is elected sheriff. As I would think a lot of other counties it changed in concealed weapon permits could occur also. I have seen many threads / posting in here about fighting when people are turned down by concealed weapons permits. Why not in the counties such as Madera County where the elections are going to take place make it a point to ask the people that are running for county sheriff their position on issuing of concealed weapons permits.

I personally know one of the candiates for sheriff and have taken the time to ask about his position on concealed weapons permits. Has anybody else asked their candiates about his / her position before voting for them for sheriff in 2014?
Old 08-11-2013, 9:42 PM

im going to a class next month. would've done it this month but i guess no one else signed up. I dont know of any of the candidates who are running, but I would like to hear your friends position on the issuing of ccw's. maybe he'll gain a vote.
Old 08-12-2013, 9:52 PM

Once you know who the candidates are I suggest you post it in the 2nd Amendment section.

Cisco
Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM

I'm not sure about all of the candidates, but I personally know Jay Varney (Madera County) and he is a believer that law abiding citizens should have the right to apply for and carry a concealed weapon.

That was my first question to him.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:49 PM

I don't personally know Jay Varney, I do know one of the other people running Mike Salvador. Mike Salvador currently is the Undersheriff and prior to that was the Lieutenant. Anybody who got a CCW Permit in Madera County between 2003 and 2013 went through Salvador. Less then 1% of all applicants were rejected.

Salvador's CCW Program has been so successful that Madera Police Chief Steve Frazier recently started a CCW Program and copied Salvador's plan almost 100%.

Even Varney when asked as the Police Chief of Chowchilla if he was going to start issuing permits stated no as the Sheriff's Department has such a excellent program.

Therefore, I think Salvador did a excellent job on his ccw program. But either Salvador or Varney should be a good choice for CCW's
Old 12-05-2013, 4:39 PM

Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims announced her intention to seek re-election to a third term. She made the statement at a meeting of the
sheriff's deputies association and as expected asked for the association 's support. There have been rumors about several folks who are thinking about running against her but so far nothing official.

As far as LTC's Mims is a known quantity though her procedure for applying and receiving LTC's is said to be not quite kosher. She does however issue LTC's and has publicly stated she intends to continue doing so.

So for Mims the question is will you continue your current policy?

But I am sure any official challengers will be asked the appropriate question.
Old 12-05-2013, 5:46 PM

I personally know Jay Varney (Madera County) and he is a believer that law abiding citizens should have the right to apply for and carry a concealed weapon.
Old 12-05-2013, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Support $$$$$$ your pro gun sheriff and your constitutional rights to keep and bear arms counted on it. It does. Don't buy new guns donate $$$ to pro 2nd amendment causes to keep your guns you own now!
Old 12-05-2013, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

Good thread and good point. County Sheriff elections effect us just like political elections. Good info on Madera. Will pass on to those I may know up there.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 12-06-2013, 3:28 AM

I think Salvador will continue with CCWs in the same way for years to come and thats a good thing.
Old 12-06-2013, 7:54 PM

I am watching this closely. Madera is a great county to have a ccw in.
Old 12-07-2013, 7:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Disclaimer: Mike Salvador is a personal friend of mine, and we've known each other for 30+ years.

Madera County has become de facto "Shall Issue" because of what Mike and the CCW bureau have done to streamline the process. I believe that if he's elected as Sheriff that he'll continue the policy.
Rule #1: Keep your booger hook off the bang-switch!
Cruz/West 2016 - You STILL want to call me a racist tea bagger?
Old 12-07-2013, 8:05 AM
Calguns Addict

http://www.occcws.com/?p=850
For example the sheriff in the county where I live and yes I donated as my right to keep and bear arms depended on it to his reelection. Others should donate as well
Old 12-07-2013, 3:36 PM

Must be nice to live in a county that believes that law abiding citizens should have the right to protect themselves from the not law abiding citizens!