Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Riflegear.com
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Riflegear.com Hosted by Riflegear.com

Old 08-10-2013, 6:55 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Unhappy New Site Layout - Negative

I love Rifle Gear, but don't like the new website layout...

90% of the time I'm using a netbook - and can't view all items in drop-down menu (particularly "parts" section)... can't view below "bolt assemblies"... Can it be set to click on "parts" and have a sub-menu list to select categories?

I tried using the site map - but that takes so long to find items...

The old version with the menu items down the left side was much easier to navigate... I know I'm just one guy, but maybe others prefer the old version too?

Yes I have a desktop and a laptop - but when browsing gun stuff I'm usually on a netbook (easier to use on the couch, outside, while traveling, etc).

Also, can no longer "view cart" unless actually clicking checkout... that's not too big a deal, but view cart is a common feature on most sites...

I'm not trying to complain - just wanted to express my concern.
Old 08-10-2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
I love Rifle Gear, but don't like the new website layout...

90% of the time I'm using a netbook - and can't view all items in drop-down menu (particularly "parts" section)... can't view below "bolt assemblies"... Can it be set to click on "parts" and have a sub-menu list to select categories?...
Since I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll redo their site again anytime real soon , you might try using using your up & down arrow keys to help you navigate the sub-menus on your netbook. That should work and allow you to navigate to the sub-cats "below the fold".
Old 08-10-2013, 9:29 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellon View Post
Since I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll redo their site again anytime real soon , you might try using using your up & down arrow keys to help you navigate the sub-menus on your netbook. That should work and allow you to navigate to the sub-cats "below the fold".
unfortunately it dosn't work... the main menu won't lock open so the arrow keys just make the page go up & down...

I tried everything prior to posting... I was out of town earlier in the week and was online shopping for remaining parts for an AR build... I was trying to search Rifle Gear for upper parts or upper assemblies and can't get to that part of the site.

I think the change has been in the last week or so...

And no, I don't expect them to fully change the site... but adding the ability to click the parts section and have the sub-menus come up on seperate page might be doable... or at least locking the main menu in the parts section so it can be scrolled with arrow keys would work too...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Are you running 800x600 resolution or something similar? What browser and version are you running? Do you see the black arrow in the top-right next to "Account"? Clicking that should drop down the mini-cart. Also, try relying on search more then drilling down into categories - the website uses full text searches now and will come up with a lot of hits. You can then filter by product category on the left to find the specific items you are looking for.

You can also try forcing the mobile version of the website on your netbook by using the following URL: www.riflegear.com/mobilego.aspx You can force it to return to the desktop view by visiting www.riflegear.com/mobileleave.aspx

www.riflegear.com

Last edited by shark92651; 08-12-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Made in the USA

resolution is 1024x576... running current version of Firefox...

I considered using the mobile version - typically am not of fan of that layout for website (even from my phone)... but I did use it just now and am able to find all products that way...

Thanks for the tip... I'll use the mobile version for areas I can't access - then switch back to full site for normal use.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I'm going to be merging some more of the categories together in the Parts menu so it may actually end up short enough to display in 576px. I'm relying more on the filtering system than multiple categories. For example, the categories "Rail Mounted Sights", "Barrel Mounted Sights", and "Gas Blocks" will be rolled into a single category "Sights and Gas Blocks" and then filters can be used to find exactly what you are looking for.

www.riflegear.com
Old 08-12-2013, 2:37 PM
Made in the USA

right-on, thanks for addressing it
Old 08-12-2013, 4:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I just thought of another tip that may help you out when browsing our site and others when you have a low screen resolution - switch your browser to full screen mode. In FireFox, press F11 and it will hide the tabs, headers, footers, and other UI elements to allow maximum display of web site content. Press F11 another time to toggle back out.

www.riflegear.com
Old 08-12-2013, 6:33 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
I just thought of another tip that may help you out when browsing our site and others when you have a low screen resolution - switch your browser to full screen mode. In FireFox, press F11 and it will hide the tabs, headers, footers, and other UI elements to allow maximum display of web site content. Press F11 another time to toggle back out.
Doh!!!

the simplest solution of them all... I know there had to be a basic fix that I was overlooking...

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 PM

It would be nice if when a item came back in-stock it merged with NEW Product/items available.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

I'm a little confused. Your regular website is showing an item in stock and the cellphone version is showing the exact same item out of stock. I went down on my lunch seeing it in stock online to purchase it. Didn't see it on the shelves while waiting, I checked on my phone in the meantime and I saw it was showing out of stock. So I took off and ordered it elsewhere online assuming the last one got sold before I showed up. But when I checked after I got back to the office it still shows in stock. haha

Do you have a feature to order online with a will-call pickup for us local people. I would love to avoid that kind of situation but prefer to buy from local shops.

Last edited by AKSOG; 08-14-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 1:04 PM
Made in the USA

^^^ you have the option to select local pick-up - shows up during check-out...
Old 08-14-2013, 3:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
I'm a little confused. Your regular website is showing an item in stock and the cellphone version is showing the exact same item out of stock. I went down on my lunch seeing it in stock online to purchase it. Didn't see it on the shelves while waiting, I checked on my phone in the meantime and I saw it was showing out of stock. So I took off and ordered it elsewhere online assuming the last one got sold before I showed up. But when I checked after I got back to the office it still shows in stock. haha

Do you have a feature to order online with a will-call pickup for us local people. I would love to avoid that kind of situation but prefer to buy from local shops.
Which item? The database that feeds both the desktop and mobile versions of the website is the same so this seems odd - I can check into it. We have over 2,000 different items so only a small number of them are on display in our showroom.

www.riflegear.com
Old 08-14-2013, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
Which item? The database that feeds both the desktop and mobile versions of the website is the same so this seems odd - I can check into it. We have over 2,000 different items so only a small number of them are on display in our showroom.
The Mega billet match set

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1767-mega...match-set.aspx

Looks like it just got updated to OOS on the standard website but showed in stock when first posted the link

Last edited by AKSOG; 08-14-2013 at 4:21 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 2:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
The Mega billet match set

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1767-mega...match-set.aspx

Looks like it just got updated to OOS on the standard website but showed in stock when first posted the link
It was probably a case of old browser cache on one of the devices. I see it happen on my iPhone sometimes. You have to clear your browser cache.

www.riflegear.com
Old 08-25-2013, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riflegear View Post
It was probably a case of old browser cache on one of the devices. I see it happen on my iPhone sometimes. You have to clear your browser cache.
The mobile website was posting the correct info. The regular website on my PC was showing it in stock a current "as of" time. I'll clear my cache anyways since I suppose it could have been in stock.