Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-08-2013, 7:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Tactical scope vs regular scope

What is the difference from practical point of view between a tactical scope and a regular one assuming they have same magnification and quality of optics? Most of tactical scopes look more compact then regular scopes. Is there any disadvantage of the compact size of tactical scopes vs regular?
Old 08-08-2013, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
What is the difference from practical point of view between a tactical scope and a regular one assuming they have same magnification and quality of optics?
about +40% price.
"They seek to establish systems of government based on the regimentation of all human beings by a handful of individual rulers who have seized power by force. These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-08-2013, 7:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What is the difference from practical point of view between a tactical scope and a regular one assuming they have same magnification and quality of optics? Most of tactical scopes look more compact then regular scopes. Is there any disadvantage of the compact size of tactical scopes vs regular?
I actually think they are less compact in general with bigger tubes allowing more travel and larger, exposed turrets. That is also the advantage along with more versatile reticle options.
Old 08-08-2013, 7:51 AM
Banned

The reticle.
The turrets.
The tube diameter.
Old 08-08-2013, 8:06 AM
Veteran Member

Tactical scopes will generally be heavier than comprable hunting or competition scopes due to larger turrets and more robust construction. The tactical scope will have more reticle options available, and will often have a wider magnification range like the 3.5-21X on the Bushnell HDMR or 1-10X of the March Tactical scopes. To make the most use of the advanced reticle designs, tactical scopes will often be designed with the reticle in the first focal plane (FFP) to allow for rangefinding and holdovers at all magnification levels.

Perhaps most importantly, putting the word "Tactical" in a scopes designation means that the manufacturer can charge a crap ton more money for it.
Old 08-08-2013, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

What's distinguishes a "tactical" scope from a "regular" scope?
Old 08-08-2013, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

Tactical scopes also generally have exposed turrets that are meant to be used.... whereas hunting models often have capped turrets.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 08-08-2013, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Tactical scopes also generally have exposed turrets that are meant to be used.... whereas hunting models often have capped turrets.
This is the biggest difference ^^.

Tactical scopes tend to have more useful reticle choices.

Brandon M.
Old 08-08-2013, 8:36 AM

A real Tactical scope should have larger turrets for reticle adjustments for range, a range finding reticle (mildots, moa, etc), 30mm tube for more light gathering, thicker tube walls because in combat scopes will get knocked around.

Lots of tacticool scopes out there that aren't real tactical scopes. Price is usually an indicator but not always.

On a side note... Do you really need it? Consider what was used optics wise up to the last 25 years. Soviet snipers were killing hundreds of Germans with scope quality that people would consider comical today. Yes better is better but how much better do you need? I think quality glass, single wall waterproof construction, metal internals(for consistency) as an absolute minimum. A BDC (ballistic drop compensator) is great. A range finding reticle, frosting on the cake.
Old 08-08-2013, 8:36 AM

As already stated:

Tactical turrets will be larger, have distinct click adjustments and will be exposed for adjustment on the fly. A hunting scope will typically have low profile turrets with screw on covers to prevent them from being bumped out of adjustment while in the brush. (Set and forget)

Tactical scopes will also have ranging reticles with hashmarks such as a mildot so the shooter can holdover for wind/drop or can estimate range on their target. A hunting scope will have a simple duplex crosshair or some form of speed reticle without hashmarks.

Adjustments, the most significant difference. Tactical scopes typically have 30mm or 34mm tubes which allow for a greater degree of adjustment/elevation range over the typical 1 inch tube of a hunting scope. You could always put a mildot or target knobs onto a hunting scope but you can never change the adjustment range.

Basically a hunting scope is designed to be light, slim and allow you to take fast shots with a rough range estimate. A tactical scope is designed to be precise, versatile, rugged and allow you the tools to adjust for any shooting condition.
Old 08-08-2013, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"Tactical" scopes are just over priced "target scopes" for mall ninjas. Whoever came up with the marketing idea for "tactical ......" was a marketing genius.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 08-08-2013, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
"Tactical" scopes are just over priced "target scopes" for mall ninjas. Whoever came up with the marketing idea for "tactical ......" was a marketing genius.
Tactical and target scopes are more or less the same thing, have you ever seen the price of a March scope? Most target shooting competitors use Nightforce optics nowadays as well.

The cheaper optics are typically hunting scopes which are lacking in features compared to tactical/target scopes.
Old 08-08-2013, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Dang. How many different ways can the same thing be said?
Old 08-08-2013, 8:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

But if it's not a tactical scope, how am I going to get a decent reticle like Xzibit says I need?

Yes, that is an actual product, and it's even illuminated with 3 colors. http://www.countersniperoptics.com/c...66&idp=0&his=0

Quote:
Patent Pending Lockable Turrets, Proprietary-230-+485F stable Bertrillium-Zantitium™ multicoated optics for dusk/dawn/shadow enhanced transmissivity, with proprietary HydroShear™ water/ice displacement coating, DustCaster™ Ion-charge for ant-static dust displacement, InfraShield™ IR spectrum filtering coating, TitaniStar™ 68 Rockwell Mil-spec antiscratch coating.

Last edited by Merc1138; 08-08-2013 at 8:53 AM..
Old 08-08-2013, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
But if it's not a tactical scope, how am I going to get a decent reticle like Xzibit says I need?
[IMG]http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/1/tdrm1.jpg[IMG]

Yes, that is an actual product, and it's even illuminated with 3 colors. http://www.countersniperoptics.com/c...66&idp=0&his=0
Thanks for the link, just bought 4!
Old 08-08-2013, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
Thanks for the link, just bought 4!
Should mount them on all 4 sides of a quad rail forend, then post pics. Dont forget the picatinny rail cap on the bottom scope so you can add a bipod adaptor down there. Maybe a bipod on the rail cap of each scope, in case you have to do a tactical roll while shooting.
Old 08-08-2013, 9:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Should mount them on all 4 sides of a quad rail forend, then post pics. Dont forget the picatinny rail cap on the bottom scope so you can add a bipod adaptor down there. Maybe a bipod on the rail cap of each scope, in case you have to do a tactical roll while shooting.
No, for that you need a different reticle.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 AM

^ gave me a headache
Old 08-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
4 sides of 1 rail?

No, no, no.

One is going on my desert eagle with .22lr conversion kit, another on my H&H 12ga, the third will live in my car for a spotting scope, and the last one will go on my glock brand entrenching tool.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

how are you supposed to see the target?
"They seek to establish systems of government based on the regimentation of all human beings by a handful of individual rulers who have seized power by force. These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-08-2013, 10:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongpoint View Post
how are you supposed to see the target?
That's not actually a real reticle (the one with made so you can range while you range is though). It's a Horus H25 that's been rotated and superimposed over itself a couple of times.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
4 sides of 1 rail?

No, no, no.

One is going on my desert eagle with .22lr conversion kit, another on my H&H 12ga, the third will live in my car for a spotting scope, and the last one will go on my glock brand entrenching tool.
Consolidate.

I just mount it on my NVGs. that way everywhere I look I am ranged in.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 AM

The tactical scope is waiting in your closet locked and loaded, ready to blast the ninjas when they flip out and attack your coffee maker.

-W
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Banned

Yes... I'm tired of that too.... *EVERYTHING* is 'tactical' now. Even pens and bacon....

If you're spending less than $500 on a scope- it just doesnt matter much if it says 'tactical' or not.

Spending a bit more than that... some brands tactical lines are WORTH the money depending on what you want to do with the rifle.

Loopy mk4 series, schmidt & bender, Nightforce, march and bushnell elite tacticals are not cheap- Not typical features you see on 'huntin scopes' either.

If you want something that looks mall ninja for airsoft, or AR- some company makes an acog looking thing for about $100.

Frankly I'm just slightly annoyed that my new bushnell says 'tactical' on the box.. But it's a SWEET scope!!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
What is the difference from practical point of view between a tactical scope and a regular one?
Tactical Scope: Any scope on a SCAR, AR15 or AR1O

Regular Scope: Any scope on all Other Rifles

Last edited by H2O MAN; 08-08-2013 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-08-2013, 12:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
Tactical Scope = AR15 & AR1O

Regular Scope = All Other Rifles
Huh?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
What is the difference from practical point of view between a tactical scope and a regular one assuming they have same magnification and quality of optics?
Nothing.

And wtf is a tactical scope? I hate the trend of putting the word "Tactical" in front of everything. People need to look up what that word actually means.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

on the same topic, is there practical difference between red dot and green dot illumination? I just ordered a scope with green dot illumination. The same model with red dot instead green one is $30 more. Is red better then green for whatever reason or is it a matter of personal preferences?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
on the same topic, is there practical difference between red dot and green dot illumination? I just ordered a scope with green dot illumination. The same model with red dot instead green one is $30 more. Is red better then green for whatever reason or is it a matter of personal preferences?
I live in the woods....The Larch trees tend to look the same color as the green illumination at some times of the year. That's why I use a red illumination.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM

A lot of FUDD in this thread.

Real tactical scopes are built to a higher standard. In construction, materials, optical clarity, and turret precision. Because of this, they are very heavy, to the point of being overkill for 90% of hunting applications. They are designed with precision adjustments in mind so that variables can be dialed in for precise long range shots. Most of these optics are zeroed at 100, and elevation is dialed in using the turrets or holdovers in the reticle for closer ranges.

Hunting optics are designed for making quick shots on targets without dialing in turrets. These are usually given a 200-300 yard zero, which is good enough for a kill at 50-400 yards with little to no hold-over. Hunters do not like busy and complicated reticles that muck-up visibility through the scope, so opt for a duplex or simple BDC reticle. Hunters also tend to hate high magnification, because it lessens their ability to track moving targets, so almost never go above 2.5-10 power.

I use Nightforce scopes almost exclusively for long range shooting and Leupold for hunting.

To illustrate how tactical scopes are built to a higher standard, consider the following: I always do the "tall target tests" on my scopes to verify how accurate the clicks are.

* My Nightforce NSX optics are ALWAYS well under 1% deviation in turret accuracy, which is so small it could be shooter error or tape measure deviation rather than the scope.

* My Leupolds that I hunt with are typically off by more than 5%. I bought a Burris scope for my son's hunting rifle, and the turrets were off by almost 10% on that! Good thing they are hunting scopes, because I world never trust the dials on them.

People who tell you that a cheap scope is just as good as an expensive one are giving you bad advise. If you don't care about accuracy, and will never use it hard enough for quality to matter - then I guess any scope will do.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I think that was on my last college math test.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 09-08-2013, 10:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you all for sharing your opinion. After all considerations I purchased a Hi-Lux CMR 1-4x24mm with 7.62 BDC reticle and the Midwest Industires side scope mount. I found several positive feedbacks on CMR on the web from those who used it for work. I just received it. Interestingly, I found that with the scope set to x1 I get a better picture then with no scope (good for me, my vision now is not as sharp as used to be). Probably x1 still gets some small magnification. Here is the picture
DSCN0525.jpg
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thank you all for sharing your opinion. After all considerations I purchased a Hi-Lux CMR 1-4x24mm with 7.62 BDC reticle and the Midwest Industires side scope mount. I found several positive feedbacks on CMR on the web from those who used it for work. I just received it. Interestingly, I found that with the scope set to x1 I get a better picture then with no scope (good for me, my vision now is not as sharp as used to be). Probably x1 still gets some small magnification. Here is the picture
Attachment 263555
Looks good. Is that 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 BDC? Pretty big difference.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
Looks good. Is that 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 BDC? Pretty big difference.
It is 7.62x39 BDC. For some reason there are very few scopes on the market with 7.62x39 BDC.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It is 7.62x39 BDC. For some reason there are very few scopes on the market with 7.62x39 BDC.
Oh nice. Yeah, it does seem pretty rare.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Typical CalGuns. The OP asks about scopes and we tell him you need a 2000 buck optic or he's just wasting money. You'll need the TacMaster 4000 MarkII or you are just a newbie. In the end the OP buys the right scope for his AK that nobody suggested in this whole thread.
Old 09-08-2013, 1:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good choice.
The CMR is a great optic for the price
Old 09-08-2013, 1:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
Typical CalGuns. The OP asks about scopes and we tell him you need a 2000 buck optic or he's just wasting money. You'll need the TacMaster 4000 MarkII or you are just a newbie. In the end the OP buys the right scope for his AK that nobody suggested in this whole thread.
I think maybe if people stopped fighting like little girls in every thread over every typed word then people might actually take our advice. And not go to another forum or source to get a answer than a pi**ing contest of what knobs are better for 10,000 yard shooting.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 09-08-2013, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
are we reading the same thread? OP didn't ask for suggestions, and i don't see anyone recommending a price range.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-08-2013, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongpoint View Post
are we reading the same thread? OP didn't ask for suggestions, and i don't see anyone recommending a price range.
Thought I was missing something when I read that post as well.