Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK35 View Post
But that doesn't answer the question about changing or adding a part to a personal firearm which is not covered under 922R.
Where in 922R or any other US law does it say that personal firearms are not covered? It boils down to you can only import shotguns that have 5 rounds or less capacity. The ATF defines that in order not to be imported, it must not have more than 10 parts made from imported parts. ATF defines what those parts are. So if you want to make your imported M4 have more than 5 round capacity, then you need to bring your parts down to 10. The M4 has 13 parts that are not made in the USA in the 5 round imported configuration. If you do not modify the M4 to more than 5 rounds, you are not required to change anything. The import issue is why the Versa Max has more than 5 rounds without any parts change issues since it's already USA made.
Old 08-06-2013, 8:11 PM

I've shot over several hundred rounds so far on my M4. I've shot both high brass 00, slugs and low brass bird shot. I have not had one jam yet....knock on wood. They say not to use low brass bird shot...but I have not had any issues so far with that type of ammo.
I did make sure I lubed up all the parts well with some good lubricant, and always cleaned and re-lubed once finished
Old 08-07-2013, 3:15 PM

Used mine quite a bit in 3-gun and practice. Never a problem with any ammo. That being said I'd probably go FN SLP next time, especially with the fiber optic sights.
Old 08-10-2013, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksun View Post
Where in 922R or any other US law does it say that personal firearms are not covered? It boils down to you can only import shotguns that have 5 rounds or less capacity. The ATF defines that in order not to be imported, it must not have more than 10 parts made from imported parts. ATF defines what those parts are. So if you want to make your imported M4 have more than 5 round capacity, then you need to bring your parts down to 10. The M4 has 13 parts that are not made in the USA in the 5 round imported configuration. If you do not modify the M4 to more than 5 rounds, you are not required to change anything. The import issue is why the Versa Max has more than 5 rounds without any parts change issues since it's already USA made.
On a positive note, the mag tube is probably the most expensive part to swap. Add a new follower *cheap* and a Geissle hammer *$50ish* and you're good.