Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-28-2013, 4:33 PM

Default Stuck case with broken base in resizing die

Does anyone know how I can remove a stuck case in a die? The base of the case ripped right off the case too! It was properly lubed to begin with and didn't have any issues on the upward stroke. Should I toss this die and replace?
Old 07-28-2013, 4:38 PM

My buddy removed one for me one time with a rat tail file
Old 07-28-2013, 5:10 PM

you have to drill and tap it,then put a collar over the top ,thread appropriate size allen bolt and turn.rcbs sell a stuck case removing kit.i assume other manufacturers do as well.
Old 07-28-2013, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

If the whole base is missing rather than just the rim you'll need to take out the primer decapping rod and then work on getting the rest of the case out a piece at a time. If it's RCBS you can mail it to them and they'll get it out - free of charge last I heard.
Old 07-28-2013, 8:25 PM

Welllllllllll what I have done is loosened the depriming rod then drill out the primer hole,tap a hole then with a bolt I put a nut up to the top and then a large washer and spacer of some sort tween the washer and threaded hole on the stuck case. Then screw in the bolt and tighten down the top nut and the washer keeps the bolt from going into the brass and as you tighten down the nut it pulls the brass right out of the die. It's a pain but it works.

Latesvak
Old 07-28-2013, 8:52 PM

One of the worst feelings in reloading is the down stroke pressure on an about to be stuck case and you know it.

That said, I've never got a case stuck since using the lanolin based spray lubes in Dillon dies.

If you've not looked into the Dillon Dies it might be time to do so. They have a carbide decapper and it is used for removing stuck cases. Very cool setup that I've not yet had to use. About 9 or 10 thousand through with nary an issue.

Last edited by A and O; 07-28-2013 at 8:55 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I did this once before investing in a stuck case remover. I sent it in to Redding and they took care of it for me. Much rather have the professionals do it than risk messing up my die.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 07-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

If the whole base is gone -- chuck it up in the lathe and using a hi speed bit, not carbide, just turn it out -
The die is hard enough the bit will just cut the brass and skate over the die surface --
Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMiK View Post
Does anyone know how I can remove a stuck case in a die? The base of the case ripped right off the case too! It was properly lubed to begin with and didn't have any issues on the upward stroke. Should I toss this die and replace?
I loaded up 4 50AE shells for the FIRST time ever for somebody else that came here and asked if anyone would do it for them. I sprayed them with hornady one shot.

They worked well.

So well that I came back later, dug out all of my 50 AE shells and started to resize them all as well.

In the first 15 rounds I managed to get 2 stuck. I do not think that I will ever get rounds stuck again. Going up they give a little resistance and then make the metal farting sound. After one fart, BACK OUT. After TWO farts, you are playing with fire. After three farts you will have a jam. Because I have the Lee Classic Turret, the most strongest indestructable turrent ever built on the face of the earth, I proceeded to remove the center piece of the die that contained the decapping rod and then put the decapping rod in the sizing die and then I figured what the hell, and I pounded the hell out of it, 5 whacks from a 2 lb sledge and the shell shot out the bottom. Made my whole reloading bench shake. The second time it happened I did not want to put the decapping rod back in because I had somehow bent it a little the first time. SO, I put it in, but I kept that collar nut on it, but loosened it so that I could hit it in, and then I put a punch on top and whacked the hell out of it. The second one took more whacks, I think about 8, but it came out and I promptly switched over to the RCBS case slick.

After that only one or two shells started farting and I knew better. I put them back on the lid to get sprayed with the next batch.

Everything went well from then on.

Good luck.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 07-29-2013, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower790 View Post
you have to drill and tap it,then put a collar over the top ,thread appropriate size allen bolt and turn.rcbs sell a stuck case removing kit.i assume other manufacturers do as well.
I would do that but the rim/base ripped completely off. I could try to tap it with whatever is left but I'm worried I might ruin the die. This was a hornady die I recently picked up too.
Old 07-29-2013, 7:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

If you jammed it THAT bad and the shell has no base at all, then it might be best to send that in and see if you can get a new die or have them unstuck it...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 07-29-2013, 8:09 AM

Quote:
I would do that but the rim/base ripped completely off. I could try to tap it with whatever is left but I'm worried I might ruin the die. This was a hornady die I recently picked up too.

If you have flash hole left.. just tap that. The Stuck case remover kits have the same items that everyone is describing on how to remove it, just do that.

Tap brass, use bolt with lube, spacer(I used a socket last time) and washers to extract brass from die, or just buy a kit:
Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemoose23 View Post

If you have flash hole left.. just tap that. The Stuck case remover kits have the same items that everyone is describing on how to remove it, just do that.

Tap brass, use bolt with lube, spacer(I used a socket last time) and washers to extract brass from die, or just buy a kit:
I'll post a picture of it later this evening. No flash hole is left. This might end up as paper weight.
Old 07-29-2013, 8:55 PM

Here are the pics
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375160128.651220.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375160140.212951.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375160105.945985.jpg (24.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-29-2013, 8:59 PM

What caliber? If .308 or .30-'06 you can try a GI stuck case remover. Presuming you have access to one.

Walnut media for bright brass
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214
Old 07-29-2013, 9:13 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention its a .223
Old 07-29-2013, 9:21 PM

Try a 223 case remover I think midway sell them for case that get stuck in a camber of a gun.
Old 07-29-2013, 9:37 PM

dame, this head is totally gone.

Have you try punch it out from the case neck end? If not, and assuming the neck is intact, I would try to find a exact sized brass rod and try to punch it out from the the case neck.

If that fail too, I next suggestion is to remove all rubber, plastic part and use a propane torch to heat the brass until it's soft and pull it out. If you go with this route, you'll likely blacken the die.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 PM

Broken shell extractor will get it out
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod39517.aspx

If you wish, mail the die to me in a usps box.
I can get it back to you in a week.
Will only cost you postage
Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

Yup, I would send it back in to the manufacturer to guarantee the die does not get damaged during extraction.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 07-30-2013, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
If the whole base is gone -- chuck it up in the lathe and using a hi speed bit, not carbide, just turn it out -
The die is hard enough the bit will just cut the brass and skate over the die surface --
You'd be surprised how few of the peeps on this forum have a lathe. Lots of them still live in an apartment; imagine that!

Without the lathe, measure the ID of the case and find a fine threaded tap that will cut a 75% depth thread in it. Then thread the same thread bolt in it and start pulling.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:42 PM

I had that problem once. I had to use a mill to remove some of the brass. Dropped an endmill right down the center and eased it against the shell. You dont have to touch the die. Just weaken that side wall down enough so it can fold in.
Old 07-31-2013, 8:44 PM

I'm going to give hornady a call and see what kind magic they can do. A lathe would be nice but its a shame I don't have space for that.... Yet.

Come to think of it, this is good that it happened. Who knows what would have happened if I loaded this case.