Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-28-2013, 4:27 PM

Question Shooting Jacket(s)

As some of us are into shooting military matches, like in NorCal, I have come to the point that I could use a decent shooting jacket. So far I have checked out two on the internet. I like the prices and they both look like they would do the job. What would you guys recommend? These are just a couple I'm looking into.

https://sites.google.com/site/madebymcron/home

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...ng_Jacket.html

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-28-2013, 5:23 PM

I would recommend ours.

The Deluxe is one of our best sellers. For the price, you can't wrong.

What kind of shooting do you do?
It suites most shooting styles, unless you're trying to shoot high-power. Then you'll want a hardback.

Old 07-28-2013, 5:23 PM

i would highly recomend a creedmoor sports hardback.the others will not give the support.with the creedmoor,you can have mesh sides for ventillation,zippered sides.through the years i have had four,the most current a nice two tone all leather.if there is rain in the forecast i will wear my cordura hardback ...no fear of material shrinking when drying.
Old 07-28-2013, 6:17 PM

The hardback I bet is really good but, I don't think I will be at Camp Perry anytime soon. Further more I don't think I need to spend $300+. But, thanks for your opinion.

The type of shooting matches I mostly do are rimfire silhouette and high-power Military Rifle Silhouette. The Military high-power is with rifles in either 30-06 or 7.5X55 Swiss at this time. So, the Creedmoor Deluxe Shooting Jacket is what I have been leaning toward the past week.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-28-2013, 6:28 PM

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...hooting_Coats/
Old 07-28-2013, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

The Creedmoore's seem to be what most people have so I tried one out from Champions Shooters Supply. My only complaint is that the sizes run really big so I have to wear a heavy sweater on underneath or I run out of room on the straps. I guess I could also gain 10-15 pounds
Old 07-28-2013, 6:47 PM

I found a Creedmoore hardback on ebay. They don't come up very often but sometimes you get a good deal. Mine was a size mismatch so one else bid on it. The tag said 44 but it was really a 38. Not custom fit, but it fit pretty well. You can also find old 10x jackets similar to the USMC jacket you're looking at. Probably more effective for prone. The hardback is better for off hand.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321jarhead View Post
The hardback I bet is really good but, I don't think I will be at Camp Perry anytime soon. Further more I don't think I need to spend $300+. But, thanks for your opinion.

The type of shooting matches I mostly do are rimfire silhouette and high-power Military Rifle Silhouette. The Military high-power is with rifles in either 30-06 or 7.5X55 Swiss at this time. So, the Creedmoor Deluxe Shooting Jacket is what I have been leaning toward the past week.
Dean, you've seen the one I have; it's a Creedmore like Scuba recommended. I've had mine for 3 years and it still looks like new. I got the add on collar which is nice. I totally agree with Kurac on the sizes though. I had to send mine back the first time as it was way too big for me. This one is perfect now. If you want to try it on, stop by my place.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I don't know where you are shooting your matches, but every silhouette match I've ever shot in did not allow the use of a shooting jacket. I've shot both at Chabot and USI in Concord, and both matches adhere to the published rules. An excerpt from the rule book:

Clothing -Commercial type trap and skeet vests (sleeveless ) and shotgun shooting shirts are permitted as well as clothing normally suitable for existing climatic temperatures. Shooting coats, unnecessarily heavy clothing, or anything on the person that would provide artificial support such as clothing having excess padding or stiffening material or which restricts or supports the body in the shooting position may not be worn.

Now, the Creedmoor Hardback jacket is one of the best shooting jackets out there, and probably close to 100% of the competitors use one. You're right though - they are not cheap and would not be suited to your needs unless you are shooting Highpower competitions. I shot Highpower for a year or so without a jacket at all, then a couple of years with a budget jacket. When I finally bit the bullet and bought the Creedmoor, I never looked back.

All that being said - of the two you linked to, the Creedmoor would be the no-brainer. The first one will not give you any support at all for off-hand shooting at silhouette targets. Might as well just wear a nice hunting shirt with a recoil pad on the shoulder and be done with it.

-Wm F. Buckley

Last edited by bigbossman; 07-29-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-29-2013, 1:17 PM

Dean, If you are talking about the silhouette match T-**** works as you are shooting prone so jacket will not give you any advantage and will not make a difference. However if you must have one for off hand shooting, Creedmoor hardback is the way to go.

Look at the top shooter at out silhouette match (Vern and Paul) they only wear a T-shirt (jacket in the winter) and they post a constant scores in the 30s.
Old 07-29-2013, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
Dean, If you are talking about the silhouette match T-**** works as you are shooting prone so jacket will not give you any advantage and will not make a difference. However if you must have one for off hand shooting, Creedmoor hardback is the way to go.
I disagree, if your shooting prone the prone jackets have rubber elbow pads and rubber recoil pads which is nice if your shooting bolt actions prone.

The Creedmoor hardback is a must have for some (like me) shooting offhand. Sitting-rapid they are a problem for those like me with a bigger girth getting in position.

I have shot against some who can shoot all 9's & 10's offhand with no jacket though. I hate those guys
Old 07-29-2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Dean,
Look at the top shooter at out silhouette match (Vern and Paul) they only wear a T-shirt
Don't look. You will shoot better all day.
Old 07-29-2013, 4:58 PM

BIGBOSSMAN...I have been a member of Diablo Rod and Gun Club in Concord for over ten years and am former M1 Garand Chairman (2002-2006) and believe me, not one person has worn a shooting jacket on the small bore silhouette matches. The other matches with high-power yes, several shooters do use a shooting jacket.

As for shooting high-power silhouette matches, I'm just getting started at this place http://www.sacvalley.org/ for the Military Rifle Silhouette matches. After participating on July 20th and using my Schmidt-Ruben K31, My shoulder was killing me after the match. All in all I had a great time. So, it has come to the point that I would like to shoot in a bit more comfort.

So, as the way it looks the Creedmore I will be buying tomorrow.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-29-2013, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
BIGBOSSMAN...I have been a member of Diablo Rod and Gun Club in Concord for over ten years and am former M1 Garand Chairman (2002-2006) and believe me, not one person has worn a shooting jacket on the small bore silhouette matches. The other matches with high-power yes, several shooters do use a shooting jacket.

As for shooting high-power silhouette matches, I'm just getting started at this place http://www.sacvalley.org/ for the Military Rifle Silhouette matches. After participating on July 20th and using my Schmidt-Ruben K31, My shoulder was killing me after the match. All in all I had a great time. So, it has come to the point that I would like to shoot in a bit more comfort.

So, as the way it looks the Creedmore I will be buying tomorrow.
Huh - then we know each other, or at least have met. I've won that Garand match a more than a few times in the past. Haven't shot it in a few years now, though. Do you or did you ride a Harley (or other big bike)? I think I remember you, and the name "Dean" sounds very familiar. BTW - Fred Davis and I were the ones that initially started up that Garand match at USI a long time ago. Still have the original relay signup sheet and the score sheet Excel files on-hand.

I used to religiously shoot the rim-fire matches, back when John Labash was running it (may he rest in peace). Won more than a few of those, too.

Anyway, If the matches you're shooting are off-hand and you need a coat, then the Creedmoor is a good jacket for that. It'll give you a little support and ease the pain on your shoulder some. If you're just looking to tame the recoil, a PAST recoil pad might be of interest.

-Wm F. Buckley

Last edited by bigbossman; 07-29-2013 at 6:36 PM..
Old 07-29-2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Huh - then we know each other, or at least have met. I've won that Garand match a more than a few times in the past. Haven't shot it in a few years now, though. Do you or did you ride a Harley (or other big bike)? I think I remember you, and the name "Dean" sounds very familiar. BTW - Fred Davis and I were the ones that initially started up that Garand match at USI a long time ago. Still have the original relay signup sheet and the score sheet Excel files on-hand.

I used to religiously shoot the rim-fire matches, back when John Labash was running it (may he rest in peace). Won more than a few of those, too.

Anyway, If the matches you're shooting are off-hand and you need a coat, then the Creedmoor is a good jacket for that. It'll give you a little support and ease the pain on your shoulder some. If you're just looking to tame the recoil, a PAST recoil pad might be of interest.
Yes I ride a Harley. And Fred Davis gave me the reigns. Then I past it on to Greg Ong. I also started the Military Arms Matches back then also. Did you shoot a 1903A3 at the Military Matches I put on?

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-29-2013, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes I ride a Harley. And Fred Davis gave me the reigns. Then I past it on to Greg Ong. I also started the Military Arms Matches back then also. Did you shoot a 1903A3 at the Military Matches I put on?
Yes I did. And a US Model of 1917 once in a while. The last match I won, Greg was running it. He promised to mail me the gift certificate, but it never came.

Cried myself to sleep for a month.

I do remember you now. Straight-up guy as I recall.... but that's what I'd expect from a Marine. I think you brought your wife around a time or two, as well.

-Wm F. Buckley
Old 07-29-2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-fishing View Post
I disagree, if your shooting prone the prone jackets have rubber elbow pads and rubber recoil pads which is nice if your shooting bolt actions prone.
I respect your opinion. All I'm saying is that at our silhouette match, the top shooters all wearing t-shirts. There are several shooters who wears jackets but they are not in the top echelon. Maybe jackets are bad luck?

Dean, I shot two rifles last match firing over 100 rounds and I don't feel any discomfort on my shoulder at all. Them 6.5 sure is gentle shooter.
Old 07-29-2013, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There are several shooters who wears jackets but they are not in the top echelon.
I'd say shooting 5 clean 40 scores (or is it 6 now) would put me in the top echelon

But that aside, I would agree with....Juanito (did anyone see it snowing today?)

At the Sac Valley milsurp silhouette match not many wear shooting coats. I do because as was said above they have padded elbows and shoulder built in. The hard back coats are overkill for this match, but good to have if you also shoot High Power XTC matches.

Creedmoor used to make a light weight prone jacket that was only half length (which I have and use for the milsurp match) but I don't see it on the website anymore.

Probably the most popular solution out there for recoil is "The Shooter's Friend" slip on recoil pad. IMHO it's the most effective recoil pad. I have 3 of them for those days when it's too hot for the jacket.

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 07-29-2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthfndr View Post
I'd say shooting 5 clean 40 scores (or is it 6 now) would put me in the top echelon

But that aside, I would agree with....Juanito (did anyone see it snowing today?)

At the Sac Valley milsurp silhouette match not many wear shooting coats. I do because as was said above they have padded elbows and shoulder built in. The hard back coats are overkill for this match, but good to have if you also shoot High Power XTC matches.

Creedmoor used to make a light weight prone jacket that was only half length (which I have and use for the milsurp match) but I don't see it on the website anymore.

Probably the most popular solution out there for recoil is "The Shooter's Friend" slip on recoil pad. IMHO it's the most effective recoil pad. I have 3 of them for those days when it's too hot for the jacket.
Rob, I say you and Steve M are in the top echelon and the two exception rather than the rule that wears jacket and do well. All the others well not so much but they sure looks good with it.

I have two jackets but only wear it on Garand matches which involves positions other than prone which a jacket would give more support. I still suck at it but I sure looks good.

It was a little cool today for July but not snowing. Must be snowing somewhere in the south pole.

I do see the benefit of padded elbow as the hard cement will eat your elbow if you have no padding. I solved that issue by using a foam as my mat instead of the normal roll up cloth. I use Limbsaver on my hard kicking 1903s & 01-A3s.
Old 07-30-2013, 2:30 AM

My shooting partner on the 20th was Steve L.. He loaned me his slip-on recoil pad. That sure made a difference in comfort. That K31 metal buttplate and I were having issues.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-30-2013, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

I've had this hanging in the closet for many years I don't shoot high power anymore and probably couldn't fit in it if I did. Its a 10X size 40 doesn't have the straps to tighten it.
$20 cash or money order gets it to you in a large flat rate box. First come first served.

Sold

Last edited by Tom-ADC; 08-19-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Old 07-30-2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:

Look at the top shooter at out silhouette match (Vern and Paul) they only wear a T-shirt (jacket in the winter) and they post a constant scores in the 30s.
You are right! I've come to the conclusion that at this point that a Slip-on recoil pad will suffice my need(s). Thanks for all your help guys.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-30-2013, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
I've had this hanging in the closet for many years I don't shoot high power anymore and probably couldn't fit in it if I did. Its a 10X size 40 doesn't have the straps to tighten it.
$20 cash or money order gets it to you in a large flat rate box. First come first served.]
Jacket is sold.

Last edited by Tom-ADC; 08-18-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Old 08-17-2013, 8:42 PM

This recoil pad was great today at the Military Rifle Silhouette near Sacto. Just wore a t-shirt. For only $20 compared to $100+ you can't go wrong with this...
http://pqgel.readyhosting.com/store/index.html

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan
Old 08-18-2013, 4:56 PM

You'd probably be pretty happy w/ one of these...

Made by mcron

USMC Style Shooting Jackets made by Mary

Fabrics

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --

Last edited by Garandimal; 08-18-2013 at 5:13 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 2:51 AM

Garandimal, thanks. After shooting this past weekends match I'm glad I bought and used the "Shooters Friend Recoil Pad". The temp had to have been close to 100 degrees. So, from $20 compared to $100 and not sweating in the hot sun, I'm ahead and very satisfied.

Further more, while I was communicating with Mary after giving her my dimensions, I was concerned that if it did not fit I would have to send it back. Its not like she is around the corner. With Shooters Friend Recoil Pad" one size fits all. Thanks just the same though.

"TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald Reagan