Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 08-24-2013, 9:02 AM
autoduel's Avatar
autoduel autoduel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Irvine
Posts: 945
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
Did you buy the AR-15 or upper half of the gun new from a reputable dealer/manufacturer? They would have headspace gauged the rifle at the factory, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about it.

If you pieced the gun together, IIRC, the barrel nut locking into the barrel itself is set in a way only when the gun actually does headspace properly, otherwise the nut won't lock into position. From what I've heard, I've never really heard of headspace issues with any AR-15s, but that's just my personal experience.
the barrel nut does not affect headspace. It only holds the barrel in place. Headspace is determined by chamber dimensions and the bolt. The locking lugs ensure that only the bolt and barrel affect headspace. If both are new and made to spec. the headspace should be fine. The problem is when you mate used parts from different guns.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-24-2013, 3:41 PM
David13's Avatar
David13 David13 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 834
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Well, I made it back alive, mostly. I think I did get heat frustration out there or something, as I feel rather wiped out. Maybe I didn't drink enough water.
When I left there were no fights, no one got shot, and no accidents.
And a lot of shooters and guns.
Someone took some photos but I hope they don't post them as I don't want my mother to know I was out there. I told her I was taking my grandmother to church. So ... shhhh.
Even tho' I am perpetually signed up, I won't be there next month.
It's good to see new shooters and young people out there, as you are the ones that must carry the sport into the future.
dc
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-24-2013, 4:03 PM
propman07's Avatar
propman07 propman07 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 618
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

DC- I won't tell your Mom that I saw you out there....I think that I might have got another calgunner in trouble when his Wife heard me mention the price of some of the larger caliber ammo....I had to do some back peddling, so if anyone asks you where you can find .308 ammo for 7 cents a round, I have no idea....

We had to leave a little early as well.....but had a great time with everyone. Nice friendly group....we'll definitely be attending again. I want to thank the organizers for all of their hard work. I'm sure that they are doing a lot of behind the scenes work with the folks at Burro, so thanks!
__________________

- David
http://www.dlvphotography.com
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-24-2013, 4:34 PM
Exodus343's Avatar
Exodus343 Exodus343 is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gardena
Posts: 3,849
iTrader: 122 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
Well, I made it back alive, mostly. I think I did get heat frustration out there or something, as I feel rather wiped out. Maybe I didn't drink enough water.
When I left there were no fights, no one got shot, and no accidents.
And a lot of shooters and guns.
Someone took some photos but I hope they don't post them as I don't want my mother to know I was out there. I told her I was taking my grandmother to church. So ... shhhh.
Even tho' I am perpetually signed up, I won't be there next month.
It's good to see new shooters and young people out there, as you are the ones that must carry the sport into the future.
dc
were you at the right side?
cause at the right side we all got muzzled a few times until a few of us told a certain member to stop

I did not even know I was being muzzled until they told me
__________________
"Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-24-2013, 4:55 PM
David13's Avatar
David13 David13 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 834
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I was near the center but for the right hand side.
You did the right thing. Tell them and tell the RSO in the orange hat or vest.
You are responsible for each other. You are your brothers keeper out there. And the RSOs can't see everything every minute. So solve the problem if solvable and/or notify the RSOs.
dc
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-24-2013, 5:16 PM
2nd Mass 2nd Mass is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,250
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

AWESOME range trip!!! Thanks to all those that brought and cooked food. Especially the awesome lady with the tactical apron! That's cooking calguns style right there. Thanks bucklenose for doing intros. Thanks bailey for helping me out with the sights. Thanks to the volunteer RSO's for helping everyone stay safe and for the calgunners that reminded our fellow members how to be safe.

Great to meet some new calgunners. Great trip as always. Didn't even notice the heat till later in the day. Range time cures all!

When's the next one
__________________
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-24-2013, 5:43 PM
jasonin951's Avatar
jasonin951 jasonin951 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thanks everyone for making us newbies feel welcome. Debbie and I had a great time and will definitely be back next month. We had to leave a bit early as the heat was getting to us but appreciate everyone's efforts for making this such a fun day!

Jason
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-24-2013, 6:30 PM
Beetle Bailey's Avatar
Beetle Bailey Beetle Bailey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,152
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Yeah, the muzzle sweeping happened on my watch, since I was in charge of the left side. So while I did not see it, I will take a bite of that "responsibility sandwich." From what I understand the person was spoken to and they understand they made a mistake. So moving forward, I think it best for everyone to remember that muzzle disciple in mandatory and that we all must be aware of it at all times.

Okay, now that that is taken care of, I had a lot of fun today. Saw some old friends and met a lot of cool people. Got to shoot some cool guns and eat some tasty carne asada.

Jacob, I still have the magnet stone and RSO safety vest and will bring them next time.

opouly, hope you feel better and are able to make it out next time.

Sean, hope you stick with Team Remington Just buy used if you don't like Freedom Group. And you did well with the Savage 10FP. You were shooting a 52 grain SMK with a moderate charge of Varget.

Paul, I like the 870 but the Mossberg might be more lefty friendly. Either will do the job.

Rolando, no problem

David, thanks for doing the talking while I was loading up the ROA. Usually when I demo black powder, I have to talk and load at the same time. While I can do two things at once, it's nice not to have to.

Other David, thanks for setting the whole thing up.

James, thanks for helping me make some 7.65x53mm brass

To the lady that took over the grilling duties and did an awesome job, you are welcome back anytime! Tactical apron for the win!

And of course thank you to everyone else who helped make this a fun event - even though we had an intro, I can't remember everyone's name.
__________________
"All bad precedents began as justifiable measures." Julius Caesar

Last edited by Beetle Bailey; 08-24-2013 at 6:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-25-2013, 9:23 AM
Exodus343's Avatar
Exodus343 Exodus343 is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gardena
Posts: 3,849
iTrader: 122 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bailey View Post
Sean, hope you stick with Team Remington Just buy used if you don't like Freedom Group. And you did well with the Savage 10FP. You were shooting a 52 grain SMK with a moderate charge of Varget.

meh, that accutrigger felt weird lol

and I do stick with Team Remington, their action and design, NOT FREEDOM'S POS QC coming out these days. That i why I wish I can afford a Surgeon Action....


really need to just buy a 5R and call it a day
__________________
"Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:15 AM
TheComedian's Avatar
TheComedian TheComedian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 100
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman07 View Post
I think that I might have got another calgunner in trouble when his Wife heard me mention the price of some of the larger caliber ammo....I had to do some back peddling, so if anyone asks you where you can find .308 ammo for 7 cents a round, I have no idea....
No worries, my wife pretends not to know how much I spend on ammo and I pretend I don't see all the empty shoe boxes in the trash.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 08-25-2013, 5:43 PM
Beetle Bailey's Avatar
Beetle Bailey Beetle Bailey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,152
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus343 View Post
meh, that accutrigger felt weird lol

and I do stick with Team Remington, their action and design, NOT FREEDOM'S POS QC coming out these days. That i why I wish I can afford a Surgeon Action....


really need to just buy a 5R and call it a day
The 5R is a nice gun, but I think you might be better off just burning out your LTR barrel and then rebarreling it with a custom. Why settle for a Remington 5R barrel when you can have a Bartlein or Kreiger 5R barrel?

BTW, my Savage is so old, it's a pre-accutrigger! That one has the aftermarket Sharpshooter Supply trigger.

Anyways, next time I'll bring my other Remington 870. It's an old Wingmaster from way, way before Freedom Group. It was made in 1961 and is a legal C&R
__________________
"All bad precedents began as justifiable measures." Julius Caesar
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 08-25-2013, 8:16 PM
Exodus343's Avatar
Exodus343 Exodus343 is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gardena
Posts: 3,849
iTrader: 122 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bailey View Post
The 5R is a nice gun, but I think you might be better off just burning out your LTR barrel and then rebarreling it with a custom. Why settle for a Remington 5R barrel when you can have a Bartlein or Kreiger 5R barrel?

BTW, my Savage is so old, it's a pre-accutrigger! That one has the aftermarket Sharpshooter Supply trigger.

Anyways, next time I'll bring my other Remington 870. It's an old Wingmaster from way, way before Freedom Group. It was made in 1961 and is a legal C&R
I want a 6.5 or 260 also... alongside my LTR
__________________
"Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 PM
NoSpam's Avatar
NoSpam NoSpam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SGV
Posts: 700
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Question for you all that went to this event:

Does Burro Canyon provide shooting tables and benches at their private ranges? And if so, how many?
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 AM
2nd Mass 2nd Mass is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,250
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpam View Post
Question for you all that went to this event:

Does Burro Canyon provide shooting tables and benches at their private ranges? And if so, how many?
For the range we had there were 3 benches. Everyone else brought their own tables and Ez ups (canopies). Places like Sports Chalet and Big 5 have folding tables that fit in the trunk of most cars for around $40. Buying a table is worth it. I try to bring two so I shoot off one and neighbors can store stuff on the second.
__________________
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 08-26-2013, 1:26 AM
Dave_R's Avatar
Dave_R Dave_R is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Awesome event!!
This was my first time in an event like this, we had a really good time. Very well organized, extremely friendly people.

See you all in the next event!!
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM
santamonica9's Avatar
santamonica9 santamonica9 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: the peoples socialist republic of los angeles
Posts: 1,515
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

where are the pics????


while I was at work you all had a blast, as usual
__________________
I mainly shoot .22lr, 9mm,45 acp, 357 & 38, 12G, 7.62x39, .308, .223/556, 7.62x54r, 300 win mag, 8x57
God Bless USA
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM
pmrsino's Avatar
pmrsino pmrsino is offline
Calgoon
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 727
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default

I saw a fair amount of picture taking. I'm sure they will be out soon.


Here is me doing a ca legal mag dump
http://instagram.com/p/daVEt2HmGu/

And Beetle! Thanks for letting me shoot your custom 870!

Last edited by pmrsino; 08-26-2013 at 1:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 08-26-2013, 3:54 PM
Beetle Bailey's Avatar
Beetle Bailey Beetle Bailey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,152
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

No problem, but it isn't a custom gun really. It's just a Remington 870 Police with a walnut stock as it comes from the factory.

As I said, next time I will bring my Wingmaster to share.
__________________
"All bad precedents began as justifiable measures." Julius Caesar
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 08-26-2013, 4:05 PM
crazychinaman crazychinaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Bay/LAX
Posts: 1,485
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Smile Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Mass View Post
AWESOME range trip!!! Thanks to all those that brought and cooked food. Especially the awesome lady with the tactical apron! That's cooking calguns style right there. Thanks bucklenose for doing intros. Thanks bailey for helping me out with the sights. Thanks to the volunteer RSO's for helping everyone stay safe and for the calgunners that reminded our fellow members how to be safe.

Great to meet some new calgunners. Great trip as always. Didn't even notice the heat till later in the day. Range time cures all!

When's the next one
Her name is Mattie ,She was with my party of friends,16 of us.This was her first time shooting anything.She liked the Glock 17,hated shooting the shotgun for the clay pigeons.She cannot wait for next months shoot.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 08-26-2013, 4:06 PM
crazychinaman crazychinaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Bay/LAX
Posts: 1,485
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Smile Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_R View Post
Awesome event!!
This was my first time in an event like this, we had a really good time. Very well organized, extremely friendly people.

See you all in the next event!!
Welcome to the Calguns family...The guy with USC canopy.And the cook (Mattie).
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 08-26-2013, 4:08 PM
crazychinaman crazychinaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Bay/LAX
Posts: 1,485
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Smile BBQ shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonin951 View Post
Thanks everyone for making us newbies feel welcome. Debbie and I had a great time and will definitely be back next month. We had to leave a bit early as the heat was getting to us but appreciate everyone's efforts for making this such a fun day!

Jason
Welcome to the Calguns family,USC canopy guy.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 08-26-2013, 4:26 PM
Exodus343's Avatar
Exodus343 Exodus343 is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gardena
Posts: 3,849
iTrader: 122 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bailey View Post
No problem, but it isn't a custom gun really. It's just a Remington 870 Police with a walnut stock as it comes from the factory.

As I said, next time I will bring my Wingmaster to share.
the REAL 870


screw the new ones, seriously
had one, after 25 rounds, front sight fell off, no problem gorilla glued the thing, then the ejector broke on me after 200 rounds, and then STARTED TO RUST

ok.... sent it back to Remington to get everything fixed up, got a new shotgun weeks later

rusted on me DAYS after the UPS man dropped off my "New" shotgun
so yeah I sold the damn thing, screw freedom group
__________________
"Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 08-26-2013, 4:43 PM
Beetle Bailey's Avatar
Beetle Bailey Beetle Bailey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,152
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Yeah, look for an older, mechanically sound 870. They are smoother pumping and very durable. Some of the older ones do not take 3" magnums (my wingmaster does not) so they may be overlooked. Pick one of those up if you can. My Police model can take 3" magnums but I never use them as 2.75" shells are plenty powerful.
__________________
"All bad precedents began as justifiable measures." Julius Caesar
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 08-26-2013, 6:28 PM
Exodus343's Avatar
Exodus343 Exodus343 is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gardena
Posts: 3,849
iTrader: 122 / 100%
Default

I'm good on shotguns lol
I'm going to buy a handgun once I turn 21 and that's it

focus on precision shooting
__________________
"Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 08-26-2013, 7:20 PM
Syntax Error's Avatar
Syntax Error Syntax Error is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West LA
Posts: 2,226
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

Personally, I'm not really big on shotguns, but I wouldn't mind getting a nice 1897 shotgun at some point. It has to be a C&R, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 08-26-2013, 7:22 PM
pmrsino's Avatar
pmrsino pmrsino is offline
Calgoon
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 727
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus343 View Post
I'm good on shotguns lol
I'm going to buy a handgun once I turn 21 and that's it

focus on precision shooting
LOL sure!
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 08-26-2013, 8:01 PM
Exodus343's Avatar
Exodus343 Exodus343 is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gardena
Posts: 3,849
iTrader: 122 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrsino View Post
LOL sure!
trust me
one handgun is enough

I am in LOVE with that M&P 9!!!
__________________
"Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Ricky-Ray's Avatar
Ricky-Ray Ricky-Ray is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 3,179
iTrader: 52 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus343 View Post
trust me
one handgun is enough

I am in LOVE with that M&P 9!!!
hahaha... you say that now... Your still young grasshopper.

Was that you that fondled all my pistols at the June shoot? I let someone "test" shoot my pistols so they could see what they liked. If I remember I brought my 92FS, M&P9, XD 9, Sig P220 and SA 1911.
__________________
Ray

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 08-27-2013, 8:49 PM
Phantom Rider Phantom Rider is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 18
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

it's worth the trip. had a great time and would like to thanks
all the volunteers specially autoduel, the "chef", RSO's and attendees as well. Good to meet you DC! ron

P.S
Appleseed volunteers you guys rock!
Shout @ the lady picture please let me know how to get hold of you so I can have
a copy of our shot. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 08-28-2013, 9:21 PM
Exodus343's Avatar
Exodus343 Exodus343 is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gardena
Posts: 3,849
iTrader: 122 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
hahaha... you say that now... Your still young grasshopper.

Was that you that fondled all my pistols at the June shoot? I let someone "test" shoot my pistols so they could see what they liked. If I remember I brought my 92FS, M&P9, XD 9, Sig P220 and SA 1911.
nope, that was not me lol
__________________
"Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM
pmrsino's Avatar
pmrsino pmrsino is offline
Calgoon
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 727
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default

I remember pics being taken. Are they gonna be up?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:59 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.