Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGuy View Post
My son and I were right next to the guy and I can tell you there is no way to stop this type of thing. When it happened, the place was shear pandemonium. I will not be going back for a while, because the images are still too fresh. The manager was so helpful to the guy and his friend. It's not a gun problem, it's a mental health problem.
Sucks that you and your son had to see that, and that was exactly my point about these people having no regard for the others around them and how those people can be affected.
Old 07-26-2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
My son and I were right next to the guy and I can tell you there is no way to stop this type of thing. When it happened, the place was shear pandemonium. I will not be going back for a while, because the images are still too fresh. The manager was so helpful to the guy and his friend. It's not a gun problem, it's a mental health problem.
Sorry to hear man.
Old 07-27-2013, 2:24 PM

Sadly, it happens more than we know, in different ways.

Had a neighbor who loaned a gun to another neighbor so he could go shoot. He drove to a semi populated area, walked to some railroad tracks, and put a bullet in his head.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 07-27-2013, 2:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Your attempt at reading my mind is woefully incorrect. I meant exactly what I wrote. "...those around you..." Are those who are immediately around you. So don't quit your day job for a career in the mind reading business.
Does it really matter? NO, It is what it is. Glad you know everything.
Old 07-27-2013, 8:44 PM
Tactical Mall Ninja
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Hope you and your son get your head mostly clear of the images. Can't imagine being around something like this.......
Old 07-27-2013, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That sucks. I'm sorry man. Keep tabs on your son, make sure he's okay over time.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
My son and I were right next to the guy and I can tell you there is no way to stop this type of thing.
Talking about it will help. Take it from me, the images fade over time, but never truly go away. I have cleaned up one to many Suicides in my time and witnessed two first hand. Being a life long combat Soldiers has it's disadvantages sometimes. Talk to your Son, don't do the silent thing. Ask him every once in awhile how he's feeling, ask yourself that once in awhile too. No shame in finding a Counselor to talk to as well.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Why does everyone assume this guy had a mental problem, maybe he was terminally ill. That's not a temporary problem.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUTTER View Post
Why does everyone assume this guy had a mental problem, maybe he was terminally ill. That's not a temporary problem.
He could of simply been a passionate anti trying to help their cause as well... could of been anything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

What a douche nozzle.

I hope they make him come back when he gets out of the hospital and clean up his own blood...

Does he have a FB page? Maybe get some photos/video of the incident and put it on his wall...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 07-28-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 2:44 AM

Poor soul.
Old 07-28-2013, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmoto View Post
Whatever happened to carbon monoxide poisoning. Damn electric cars....
Seriously though, what's with people jumping off bridges etc... Seems to me it'd be much easier to down a bottle of JD and then drink some drain cleaner or something.
It's quicker and easier to off yourself with and electric car. Open up the hood and find one of the bright orange cable and cut it with a metal object. Instant BBQ for Hanabel Lector.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog View Post
Since this guy lived, maybe the range can sue him for cleaning fees and lost revenue while they are closed. The witnesses can sue for emotional trauma..
Sunshine Cleaning loved that movie. Opening scene a guy walks into a sporting goods store and asks to see a shotgun. Pulls out a shell, puts it under his chin and splatters his brains all over the fishing tackle. First time I'd even considered someone doing that. Man movies are just like real life, or is it the other way around?

Justice Consuelo María "Connie" Callahan, Judge, 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Presiding
PERUTA V. COUNTY OF SAN DIEGO
Hear history being made here... Listen at 28:31
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...6/10-56971.wma
HIRING: Part Time Estate Sale Helper - Orange County
Old 07-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

horrible for the partner
Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Was there the next day and you can see the bleach stains on the pistol side. Happened around 230 so they had to close til next morning to take care of everything.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
Next change in range rules: Must be parties of 3 or more to rent guns.
Or maybe OSHA will require a safety harness that prevents you from shooting yourself.
Old 07-28-2013, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Kinda like those wires attached to the bb guns at fairs?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was just there. Jeepers Creepers!

I hope he gets well soon.
Old 07-29-2013, 4:43 PM
yeah buddy!
CGN Contributor

This kills me because the people that work at Iron Sights are great and the manager is a great guy. I feel people nearby should make the effort to go there more and support a great local business in a tough time. If you're a regular, maybe visit them a couple extra times to help out.
Old 07-29-2013, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
This kills me because the people that work at Iron Sights are great and the manager is a great guy. I feel people nearby should make the effort to go there more and support a great local business in a tough time. If you're a regular, maybe visit them a couple extra times to help out.
ill start with a ppt on weds

-Armand
Sent from my Apple Galaxy Note 5
Old 07-29-2013, 7:26 PM

Just picked up my glock 19 from them. Great people and very friendly customer service.
Old 08-01-2013, 6:29 PM

I just heard about this today and was surprised. I've been shooting at Iron Sights for the past 12 years and they have a great group of employees. I feel really bad for them, as well as any customers at the range when it happened. Just goes to show you can't legislate against crazy.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Why can't these damn people just go drive out into the desert without water or something? Brought someone along to get past the "won't rent to a solo person without their own gun" I bet, way to crap on everyone else's life just because you think yours sucks so bad.
Thats about it
Suicide is as selfish as it gets.
I have zero sympathy for the bum.
Old 08-02-2013, 5:25 PM

Ohh damn! that is terrible news. I bought my first pistol from Iron Sights a few months back and the staff are very friendly with great customer service. It's crazy cause I almost went shooting there on wed, but decided to go next week instead.

When I am at the range, the thought of another person hurting themselves or others crosses my mind often. I don't consider it paranoia, but rather awareness of my surroundings. I am fully aware that I am putting myself and others in a possible dangerous situation and that the sport of firearms does have it's risks. This isn't new news unfortunately, suicides do happen from time to time at any indoor or outdoor range. I feel bad for the other shooters to have witnessed such a tragic event because it very easily could have been me or you. I am just thankful that the bullet didn't pass through him and hurt anyone else. I hope Iron Sights recovers quickly and rebuilds the good reputation they once had. I will still support their business in the future.

Travis-
7/22/16 Interview
Old 08-02-2013, 10:44 PM

If it was a rented gun than I suppose nobody had any disagreements over splitting-up the equipment.
Old 08-03-2013, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Horrible! i can only imagine what danger he could have put others in. hope my wife doesn't find out since this is my go to range
Agreed. My girlfriend found out about the article and doesn't want me to practice at that range anymore. Iron Sights is down where my parents live, so I usually go shooting there when I visit them. I explained to her that while it is unfortunate, these tragedies do happen at least once in every range that rents firearms. It's a risk we all face as gun enthusiast in public areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooperman View Post
This is why I don't like going to indoor ranges that rent guns. Too many crazies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
this is why I don't rent guns, too dangerous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_Dub View Post
another reason not to go to an indoor range.

Lucky that some of you have a private place to shoot, but there are many of us who live in urban/ city areas and don't have many options on where to shoot locally. All the ranges in my area rent firearms as well, so it's a risk you have to take in this sport. Even with proper safety practices any gun environment can be dangerous and not just an indoor range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by far from tactical View Post
At my gun range they don't rent guys to single shooters they have to be at least two people In the group
Did you even read the article? The guy brought someone with him which was just terrible.

Quote:

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear about you and your son's experience that day. I am glad you guys were not in harms way.
7/22/16 Interview

Last edited by snapshot7; 08-03-2013 at 9:17 AM..
Old 08-09-2013, 9:17 PM

Default Whats up guys

Haven't posted much since joining because Ive been in AFG for a long time. My apologies. I had the misfortune to have been there on my 2nd day vacation with my wife, fortunately without my son. I was on Lane 24, the gentlemen on 23 and we were there from beginning to end. First, there were signs of this coming all over the place. Unfortunately his friend is a bit on the extremely kind and naive sign and did not see this coming as anyone else would of. I am glad no one else, specifically my wife was not hit as he shot himself towards me and as he was coming down still had his finger in the trigger and two more rounds in chamber. They argued for a bit before he took his own life according to my wife. Unfortunately she did not interfere soon enough. I have been there before while seen people arguing and can tell you I have had the persons step away from the firearms by direction of the staff (I am close in personal relationship to some of the staff there) so this would of raised my alarms. Unfortunately I was shooting at the time the argument began and when my wife got my attention I turned around to watch the guy raise his weapon and shoot. I tried to see if there was anything I could do for him but there is no way anyone could of helped. Too much damage even for EMT or a surgeon to save him. Hi was disconnected from life support the next day. The gentlemen had a history of depression, had just given all his money to his friend and treated him to shopping and a nice expensive lunch meal. He had never ever mentioned anything about shooting, firearms, or any interest whatsoever. Unfortunately his friend is so naive to reality. He is a 42 yr old man still living with his mom but such a kind man which really sucks. anyone else would of seen this coming and could have prevented it to some extent. Although he would eventually found a way. He was shooting down range, and stopped suddenly to ask his friend to go get more ammo. He wanted him to not be present. His friend was smart enough in this case to notice that his slide wasn't open and he still had ammo in the gun to which he inquired. They started arguing because he just wanted to leave and the guy wanted him to go "check" on more ammo. At this point I was practicing rapid fires and couldn't really hear much since I was focused and firing. I did notice the tone getting louder and at that point is where my wife tapped me on the shoulder once I was done (she didn't want to interrupt me with a live weapon in my hand still in the middle of firing). I turned around and he fired. I stayed until they took him comforting his friend and ensuring my wife was ok and that everyone there got what they needed as I was the primary witness to it along my spouse. She is ok, glad my son wasn't there, but it still kind of haunts her a bit even though she is also prior military, she is just a very kind hearted person who hates to see anyone take their life. It did piss us off a bit, as its selfish and could of hurt someone else physically (did mentally). agree there wasn't much you could do, unless someone would of intervened when they were arguing and he was away from the weapons. Ive seen too many times people just doing unsafe things, arguing or being emotional in ranges and have been surprised by the lack of action from some. I do believe if someone would of noticed a bit sooner, they could of prevented it there. At least he would of done it some other way. Ive done it before. Its my life and others and I don't tolerate any emotion of any way in a gun range with live weapons and others at stake. But it happened. I recently called James, the mans friend to see how he is doing and kind of guide him to any help he needs if I can. I guess he is ok. But I am sure he really is not. Its unfortunate he is such a kind person, so kind to never really realize what was happening. But thats life. Hopefully this gives a better perspective of what happened. It sucks big time. Specially knowing that this is a coward way of ending temporary problems. But again, thats life.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 PM

Suicide = eternity in hell. That's just what I believe.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallbrook .45 View Post
[spoiler]Haven't posted much since joining because Ive been in AFG for a long time. My apologies. I had the misfortune to have been there on my 2nd day vacation with my wife, fortunately without my son. I was on Lane 24, the gentlemen on 23 and we were there from beginning to end. First, there were signs of this coming all over the place...

Hello Fallbrook .45,

Thank you for posting a follow up on this sad story at our local range. Some of us were curious on the details and I am so thankful that you and your wife were not harmed physically during this tragic event that took place.
7/22/16 Interview
Old 08-10-2013, 7:05 AM

Thanks for the update and the information. It's easy to look at it now and play back different scenarios but a lot of times you can't tell what is going to happen.

I had an inmate come into the crisis bed at the prison I was working because the officers intercepted a letter written to his family saying he was going to harm himself. I interviewed him when he came in at night and he was in a good mood and even joked around with me. He said that he wrote that to get sympathy from his family so they would send him money. Sounded logical to me. In the morning he was seen by the psychiatrist and other members of the treatment team and was released. That afternoon he hung himself and died. It was a real eye opener.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 08-10-2013, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog View Post
If I remember correctly, there was a similiar incident at a range in Burbank a few years back. Some young guy went to the range with his mom, rented a gun, then shot himself right in front of his mom.
I can't imagine what goes on inside the heads of these selfish people...
I think your thinking of the one a few years back, but was in Florida. The mom and son went to the gun range. Rented a gun, while he was standing in his lane shooting, she shot him in the back of the head, then took her own life.

She was mentally ill, and previously was in mental homes. Multiple audio suicide notes claimed she wanted to save her son and send him to heaven, and by doing that she would bring peace on earth..

"I work, therefore I am."
Old 08-11-2013, 9:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Three things;

1) This person has negated the effectiveness of the mandated 10 day wait. He didn't even have to purchase a gun. Tell me anti-gunners, how will a 10 day wait prevent suicide or murder again?
2) Even if ranges change the rules on how and who they will rent guns, a suicidal person will still do as this person did, waiting until circumstances permit them access to a loaded firearm.
3) No one can keep guns out of the hands of someone who intends on harming themselves or others when there is no predictive history of behavior or evidence of depression.
They'll just say that background checks and the 10 day wait need to apply to rentals since renting a gun is a "loophole".

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 08-11-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0use View Post
He tried to end his life, but he survived so it was not his time to go yet. Maybe this will be awake up call for him. Hole he gets some help.
Um, if he plugged himself in the bean with a round, he probably won't do anything except cost the state a bunch of money before he checks out. He won't probably ever be able to answer the "wake up call"

I ran a call on some POS of a man that shot himself ear to ear. There he was on a couch with his grey matter leaking out, still breathing, and non-responsive otherwise.
All around were happy birthday balloons and decorations for his kid.

Way to man up.

As if it doesn't affect those around you ...

That has been a few years ago, and it still bothers me. I see things every day that most don't see in a lifetime. I can't imagine the weight it left on his kids ...

Last edited by SloChicken; 08-11-2013 at 10:18 PM..
Old 08-11-2013, 11:08 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

I was there the day after this happened, business as usual. That said, I've had two jacked up incidents at another range in the past couple of months. One was an individual shooting on a cold range with me at the other end of it checking my target. And the second incident was watching an individual pick up his weapon (again on a cold range) and load it while pointing at another individual who was downrange checking his target.

I watch everybody nowadays. And with this happening at Iron Sights, I might be keeping my CCW on me while I'm in there. Even though I have a permit, I usually unload it before I come in. Anywhoo, you want to clock out, then point the weapon and your grape downrange so the round doesn't exit and take out the person in the next stall.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCiX View Post
Suicide = eternity in hell. That's just what I believe.
Have you ever known anyone with a terminal illness ?

I know people who used to think like you until they had to experience terminal cancer.

Also, mental illness is something that cant be cured in some people.

Suicide doesn't qualify for eternity in hell for many people....if anyone.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Haven't been to Iron Sights lately, but I felt that I had to chime in with those who have complimented the staff. They really are a great bunch. My firearm purchases there have been smooth as silk also. (I believe strongly in supporting my local range.)

Found out about this from a guy who's close to the deceased man's friend, and googled my way here. Very sad.
Old 08-13-2013, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post

Prove it, let's see some picz...
Huh?!?

Super Robot VOLTES V
Old 08-13-2013, 1:36 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
First of all, unfortunately this isn't "kinda crazy". Imstead, it is kinda normal. It happens anywhere there are fireams rentals. The problem lies with selfish idiots like the guy in this story who don't care about anyone besides themselves. Suicides at ranges normally don't pay their tab so, they are thrives. They don't care that the business will loose thousands in lost revenue while they are shut down for the investigation and expensive clean up. They don't care about those around them witnessing their acts. There are far better ways to end one's life than using a rented firearm inside someone else's business.
I basically agree with the above. The only saving grace I can think of is at least he didn't do the ultimate d-bag move of trying to take anyone else with him. When I read about a story like this, I'm at least somewhat relieved that it was a suicide (or attempted suicide) and not a mass casualty event followed by a suicide.

Either way, suicide is bad. Get help.
Old 08-13-2013, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Suicide is as selfish as it gets.
I thought being a liberal was.