Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 9:34 AM

Default Shipping to Unincorporated Sac

Hi sorry for the noob question, I live in unincorporated area of Sac but my address says Sacramento, ca as many of you probably do as well. I ordered some ammo from Freedom Munitions and they flagged the item on shipping because the address says Sac. I called and explained that I checked and the no online shipments is for Sac City not County, and that I understood if they just blanket block Sac. Their CS said they would ship it, but they were going to have their legal department clarify for them just to be sure. They also told me next time I can mention it in the notes to avoid the same delay in the future.

Am I correct in saying they could ship to me legally? If so, where can I find proof of that?
Old 07-24-2013, 9:42 AM

Unincorporated, what town, Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks, Orangevalle? There are a bunch of towns in unincorporated Sacramento County, All you need to use is your cities address. Sacramento the City is prohibited ammo shipping but the rest of us are not. I have had a few shipments sent to my home in Sac. county, no problem.
But if your shipping address IS Sacramento city, you are out of luck!

Last edited by Jester3; 07-24-2013 at 9:46 AM.. Reason: Bad spelling!
Old 07-24-2013, 9:51 AM

I live in Arden Arcade But all the address I have seen say Sacramento, CA for my zipcode. But as far as I can tell it is outside the city limits.

Edit: Maybe I should put Arden Arcade as the city next time?
Old 07-24-2013, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Maps of Sacramento City Limit
Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 AM

Best to check with the legal beagles, but I'm not sure of Arden Arcade, is it considered a city? Seems awhile back I read they tried to spin off and become a city, but Sacramento city fought it, fearing they would lose the revenue from auto row on Fulton. Funny, I work in Rancho Cordova, but mailing address is either Rancho Cordova OR Sacramento, go figure!
I'm in Fair Oaks, we're considered a city, don't know how, we don't have to many business complexes here at all!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM

According to the Sacramento City map NytWolf posted, Arden Arcade is not in the city limits. It did try to incorporate a while back, but not sure how it affects things. I lived in Carmichael before, where Carmichael was the "city" on the address, though Sacramento would probably have worked so I'm not sure why Arden Arcade is not the same way.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM

Wow, grey area, use nytwolfs cool posting to contact your rep and ask them. It all boils down to the dealer if they will ship or not. Good luck bro. , hard enough to find ammo, then being restricted is worse.
Last time I bought ammo in Sac. City, they copied my ID and thumb printed me. I buy here, cash on the counter and walk out.
Must be nice to live in a free state and not worry what kind of strange laws will affect you!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the help! Yeah it's annoying trying to figure all this stuff out. I have heard that Sac City requires thumb prints and ids for purchases. But I usually don't buy ammo in Sac City. Depending on how AB 48 shakes out it may not matter what the city of sac says regarding online purchases.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...=201320140AB48

EDIT: might be SB-53

Last edited by gidjin; 07-24-2013 at 10:52 AM..
Old 07-24-2013, 1:05 PM

I can tell you that Carmichael, for instance, is an area in Sacramento County, that is not an incorporated city. You can tell that, because there is no mayor of Carmichael and it has no local city services.

It's really easy to find this stuff out, you just call the Sacramento Sheriff's office and ask them if your area is City or County.

Just in passing, when an area is in the County, but not the City, and wants its own identity, it can request a Post Office with that neighborhood name and it then becomes "Fair Oaks, CA" or "Carmichael, CA". There was an interesting thing going on some years back, when Gold River demanded it's own Post Office, because its residents didn't want to be addressed as Rancho Cordova. But Gold River is not a city, it's a neighborhood, like Arden Arcade.

That said, you can't force a vendor to ship to anywhere. If they won't ship to you, take your business elsewhere. And then tell them why you did.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 07-24-2013 at 1:08 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

It's too bad that retailers think that there are restrictions on mail order ammo sales to Sacramento. There are not.
Sacramento has a city ordinance requiring ID and thumbprints for face to face ammo sales inside the city limits, but that is not for mail order.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

yeah but put yourself in their place. Imagine how many cities have the same bs. So in order for for them to know they'd have to google tens of thousands of cities right? I' am lucky though I have my stuff shipped to Rancho Cordova :<)....

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 07-25-2013, 7:13 AM

Yeah I can understand why they do it, though some places just say "Check local laws and don't buy if it's not legal." and leave it up to you. That would be easiest vs blanket banning people. At least Freedom Munitions shipped my order after I called, vs Palmetto which just said sorry we don't ship to Sac period. They kindly cancelled the order though.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidjin View Post
Hi sorry for the noob question, I live in unincorporated area of Sac but my address says Sacramento, ca as many of you probably do as well. I ordered some ammo from Freedom Munitions and they flagged the item on shipping because the address says Sac. I called and explained that I checked and the no online shipments is for Sac City not County, and that I understood if they just blanket block Sac. Their CS said they would ship it, but they were going to have their legal department clarify for them just to be sure. They also told me next time I can mention it in the notes to avoid the same delay in the future.

Am I correct in saying they could ship to me legally? If so, where can I find proof of that?
Send them a copy of this:
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Sac...2009-12-03.pdf

Read more here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=246494
JR
Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the link Dvrjon, I was able to make a second order from FreedomMunitions with no trouble by putting the link to that pdf in the order comment and noting that I lived out side the city.

EDIT: And I mentioned that I don't live in the city limits.

Last edited by gidjin; 07-31-2013 at 8:41 PM..
Old 08-17-2013, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidjin View Post
Thanks for the link Dvrjon, I was able to make a second order from FreedomMunitions with no trouble by putting the link to that pdf in the order comment and noting that I lived out side the city.

EDIT: And I mentioned that I don't live in the city limits.
Yay! Glad it worked.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 AM

I wanted to update this thread with the latest results, in case someone else was hopeful. Apparently this was short lived way to get them to ship to me. I placed an order last week and FreedomMunitions contacted me to let me know that they will not ship to Sac, unless I am and FFL. Basically they told me that sometimes things slipped through in the past, but as of this year the Managers made the policy stricter. So I had them cancel my most recent order.