Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Garand Not Passing the Tilt Test

I'm not sure what is happening. I spent the day cleaning cosmoline out of my M1 Garand, disassembled everything but the front sight. Before I completely reassemble the rifle I figured i better do the tilt test to make sure everything is ok. When I put back the op rod back it won't pass the tilt test completely. If the muzzle is pointed down the op rod will slide fine with the bolt, but when I point it up it hangs. Only the hand guards are on and there is clearance between them and the op rod. I greased the bolt, rails, op rod handle, and the bottom of the barrel where the op rod contacts it.

I was very careful and gentle when removing and replacing the op rod to make sure I didn't bend it. I can't figure out why it only works in one direction. Any thoughts on why this is happening?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 PM

I assume your rifle is totally cleaned and properly greased. Did it pass before you tore it down? Check the OR for horizontal bends. You got to have a good eye to see the bends and know what you are looking for. If you have a known OR from your other rifles use it to do the test. Remember the vertical bends is okay. Make sure the OR is not rubbing on the ferule. Smoke it and do the test couple more times and check for carbon rub. If that is GTG then smoke the heat shield on the front handguard and do the test again and look for carbon rub. Do it to the underside lower band this same procedure. Sometimes just changing the bolt with another one a rifle will pass the tilt test. Some OR works better with certain bolt. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Is the op-rod supposed to be perfectly straight?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:08 PM

Nope. There is a natural up and down wave but no lateral bends. DO NOT attempt to straighten the OR.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, yeah sorry, not trying to jack, just confirm this for the record.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:53 PM

That bend is by design as you want the piston in line with the GC as it moves back. If you look at a Garand BA from the right side you will notice that the OR handle sits higher than the CG. If the OR is straight and the OR moves, the piston will scrape the inside of the GC...really bad juju.
Old 07-22-2013, 4:48 AM

Where did you purchase it? If it came from the CMP, it would be worth a call to their customer service - which is first rate, BTW.
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 07-22-2013, 6:09 AM

Just becuase it doesnt pass the tilt test doesnt mean anything is wrong. Have you fired it, does it function properly?
I would say you are probably worrying about nothing, this is not a CMP customer service issue

Last edited by Orlando; 07-22-2013 at 6:11 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Just becuase it doesnt pass the tilt test doesnt mean anything is wrong. Have you fired it, does it function properly?
I would say you are probably worrying about nothing, this is not a CMP customer service issue
This.

The tilt test/adjustment is part of the original National Match accurizing proceedure. Not done on standard guns.

As far as bending an op rod while tearing down or re-assembling a rifle...
Has anyone here actually tried to bend one for fitting?? Your not very likely to do it without some serious effort.
Old 07-22-2013, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
I assume your rifle is totally cleaned and properly greased. Did it pass before you tore it down? Check the OR for horizontal bends. You got to have a good eye to see the bends and know what you are looking for. If you have a known OR from your other rifles use it to do the test. Remember the vertical bends is okay. Make sure the OR is not rubbing on the ferule. Smoke it and do the test couple more times and check for carbon rub. If that is GTG then smoke the heat shield on the front handguard and do the test again and look for carbon rub. Do it to the underside lower band this same procedure. Sometimes just changing the bolt with another one a rifle will pass the tilt test. Some OR works better with certain bolt. Good luck.
The first time I broke mine down, I used Mobil1 synthetic red grease, nice stuff. When I did the tilt test, same result, it needed a little tap to move the bolt completely to the rear. I got a little overzealous with the grease, removed a bunch and it got much better.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:01 AM

can someone explain what exactly IS the "tilt test"
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlIoxbtdPXY
Old 07-22-2013, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
can someone explain what exactly IS the "tilt test"
Tilt test is a test performed when rifle has issues such as short stroking. If short stroking and rifle doesnt pass tilt test then you look for areas that the op rod is hanging up. If rifle is short stroking and passes tilt test start checking other areas, gas screw ,op rod piston, gas cylinder etc
Old 07-22-2013, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't realize that the tilt test wasn't the normal check for all of the Garands. Mine is a new rifle, not sure if it has ever been fired other that the check they do at CMP. It's good to know that it will most likely function perfectly once I take it to the range. Still waiting for the ammo, should be here in about a week or so from the CMP.

I have everything put back together except for the getting the trigger assembly back in. It it very tight and I have am having to apply a lot of force and it still doesn't want to close. I guess I'm not going to hurt it but it sure feels like I am going to wrench the trigger guard.
Old 07-23-2013, 2:41 AM

Must have a new commercial stock? Thats totaly normal fit, run the sight aperture all the way down, flip it over on the carpeted floor or on a padded table and LEAN on the trigger guard. It will close, you can also use a rubber mallet
Old 07-23-2013, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Yes, it came with a new Boyd's stock. I finally got the trigger guard to close by putting it on a table with a rag under the rear sight and pushed down using my body weight. I don't think the sight was fully down because I heard it zip a little during the process. The sight seems ok, I'll find out once I can take it to the range. Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-23-2013, 2:17 PM

It is well known that the commercial stocks that come on some CMP rifles can used some modifying.
Are they drop in fit? Yes
Is it a customer service issue? No.
They will function as is but for utmost accuracy they can use some tweaking. Remember these are battle rifles not match rifles