Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-21-2013, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Default New fly fishing reel.

I have a 5 wt 9 foot cabelas three fork fly rod that needs a reel. It's an $80 rod that I got for $40 so it's not a high end rod, but I believe it will serve me fine, at least for a while.

I have fly fished once in my life, incidentally in Idaho before we moved here. I will mostly fly fish for trout of various species, steelhead and salmon on occasion. I am not expecting to hook into any monsters, so I know that most likely the fish is not going on any long runs putting a lot of pressure on the drag system.

From a budget standpoint, I can spend $100 or a little more for the reel, but don't necessarily want to. In addition to the reel I have to get backing, line, etc for another $40-$50 so it can add up quick.

I've narrowed it down to three reels. Listed in order of price, not preference.

Cabelas Prestige Plus - $50 or $50 with a second reel. Felt fine and gets decent reviews on the Cabela's website. They won't tell you who makes it so getting parts will likely be impossible which means it's a throw a way reel. I like the fact I could get it with a second spool for $60 and I can pick it up locally which is also nice.

Okuma SLV - $50-$60. Forged reel. Liked the feel and texture of the reel. It was very lightweight and much lighter than my third choice. Gets great reviews and seems to be pretty popular. Didn't really like the drag adjustment as it didn't have finger dents to easily adjust. It's also an open drag system so if it goes in the water, the drag system will get wet.

Pflueger Trion Fly - $100-$110. Machined reel with a very nice finish. Quite a bit heavier than the forged reels. Felt good playing with it, but that is the extent of my experience. Gets fantastic reviews on the interwebz which is good to see.

From the fly fishing experts, where would you point a beginner fly fisherman out of these 3 reels?
Old 07-22-2013, 6:15 AM

Two reels is a nice feature because you may need sinking line and floating line. I fish the Sierras and what works at dawn maynot work at dusk. All the reel does is hold yur line for the most part. By the time you use the reel the fish is hooked and you could just as well pull it in with your hand. Most important thing is form and matching your leader tippets to maximize form. Also, as far as drag setting, not really an issue as you usally play the fish by hand, and can just set it loose. Just my two bits.
Old 07-22-2013, 8:50 AM

It is a 5 weight, just get a cheap reel that holds line. You do not need one with a great drag system. Don't mess with spare spools, they are a waste of time. The most important part is your line, if the line does not match the rod you will never be able to cast it good. I can not stress this enough.

Not only do I fly fish a lot, I am also a director of a fly club and teach tons of people on how to fish. So I kind of have a ton of experience.

Always carry a net and crimp your barbs. If you are practicing catch and release you do not need a crimped barb, but you will always need a net to help protect the fish with a easier release.

PM if you have any more questions, I am more than willing to help you out.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:03 AM
CGSSA Associate

Intimid8tor, 5 weight, nice choice!!

Agreed, good drag is not normally needed for trout, use your palm. Salmon and winter stealhead, you may be using your drag.

Rule of thumb you can usually go one line size up or down from the rod weight if needed.

I like spare spools myself, I usually have one setup weight forward for dry flies, one sinking, etc. All depends on what your doing at the time. Yes, you can do a lot with only one line, but I like the versatility of having either a second reel or spare spool (if cost is a factor). Another good reason to have a spare spool is you can have it spooled up with cheap line to practice when not on the water. Find a park or school and practice your casting. I have beater line on a spool that I use to practice my casting in the street out side my house (double haul, etc.).

Crimp the barb, certain areas if DFG catches you it's a ticket. My buddy got cited while we were fishing the Easy Walker a couple of years ago. The warden was under cover, lifted his shirt to show is credentials and checked my friend's equipment... busted.

Always wear glasses of some sort, sunglasses, percription, what ever. While false casting if the hook of the fly comes back and cathes you in the eye, game over. I've hooked my finger reel good before during a false cast on the Henry's Fork, other times clothing, hat, my rod shaft, etc.

Good luck!!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM

Not to make it harder but I have had an orvis battenkill bbs iii $(100) for the last 4 years and it has been very good to me it’s very simple, extra spool are a simple change. I mostly use it for trout, this was my first reel and i have upgraded my rod a number of times.
Old 07-22-2013, 9:46 PM
CGSSA Associate

I always liked Orvis
Old 07-23-2013, 6:22 AM

EDIT: I would go with the OKUMA. I'm not a big fan of spending big bucks on reels. The rod is the most important, IMO.

Last edited by bubbagump; 07-23-2013 at 6:30 AM..
Old 07-23-2013, 8:49 AM

I also have “some” experience, those that say that a reel is just a line holder typically use that as an excuse for their cheap reels. There have been plenty of times I have been glad I have had reels with nice drags on my 5WTs’. Then again, like you I don’t live in CA and fish places that can hold larger freshwater fish. Then there is the potential issues that can arise with cheap reels (i.e. the potential for free spooling).

I do agree though that for that rod I wouldn’t go getting a Bogden or anything crazy. However, I would get something that is reasonably priced and from a quality manufacturer. Somebody mentioned an Orvis BBS (Battenkill Bar Stock), they are now discontinued and if you order quickly, you may be able to still grab one before they are gone. You might also want to look on ebay as well. Sometimes you can find some really good deals. You have my number you can call or text with any specific questions you may have...

ETA: I just looked and Orvis still has the BBS III on sale right now for 79.00 it looks like they only have the Titanium color left in stock. You might want to go se John at Anglers off of Overland. He is the local Orvis dealer and may have some in stock so you wouldn't have to order and wait.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=40c7

As far as line goes, I only have one 3 forks rod (a 3wt that was given to me as a present). For line I found that GPX works well with the 3 forks rod.

Last edited by Thrillbilly; 07-23-2013 at 9:42 AM..
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillbilly View Post
I also have “some” experience, those that say that a reel is just a line holder typically use that as an excuse for their cheap reels.
Your right, my Abel's and Lamson's are cheap reels, what was I thinking.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Your right, my Abel's and Lamson's are cheap reels, what was I thinking.

Yea, because that is what I posted

Sorry to cause you any butthurt, I wasn't even addressing your post with my comments...
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 AM
CGSSA Associate

I wasn't going to mention my reels are Abel's...
Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillbilly View Post
Yea, because that is what I posted

Sorry to cause you any butthurt, I wasn't even addressing your post with my comments...
Not butt hurt at all. Just interesting how your first sentence seemed to be a response towards my first sentence. Just a coincidence I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2013, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Just an update to close out the thread.

I went to a locally owned fly shop here in town and talked with the owner. He was a very nice guy and we talked about different reels and the benefits of some of them. I decided on an orvis clearwater with orvis line. I got umpqua leaders at sportsmans because they are close to home and I wanted to be consistent on leaders and tippets. The orvis is not a lot different than the Okuma. What I like about it is the drag adjustment knob has detents and is easier to adjust and the drag is sealed. The okuma is not. Spare spools are only $35 as well.

When I have time I will take some casting lessons before I go out and get into too much trouble.