Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-20-2013, 9:17 PM

Default Garand Malfunctions??

Hey guys, I has the Garand out again today. She shot well, but I had a few issues.

First: Several times when I first started out the enblocs popped out before they were empty. Not all the time, and I tried the clips again, however it did not happen with the clips every time. Once the gun was warm it did not happen at all. Except for once it popped out after 7 rds with one in the clip.

Second: The trigger group fell out once I think this may have been the metal end of the sling getting caught on the back of the trigger.

Third: The bolt was very sticky when I shot one of the HXP rounds while setting the Schuster. I had to give it a good push. None of the cases showed any odd signs, no stretching or anything like that. Cases look good.

Also the HXP were a lot hotter it seemed than T W 69. A buddy of mine was up with me two time shooting two different ammo types, and he could feel a lot more shockwave than before. Is that just because HXP was made hotter?

And is the rest just because I need to strip the whole rifle down, and clean/grease every part. I did everything in the CMP book, and replaced the op rod spring, but I have not done a lot more other than wiping it down, and running some patches through the barrel.

Let me know what you guys think, and as always thank you all very much. Have a great weekend.
Old 07-20-2013, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

This was posted in another thread recently about the initial detail stripping that is required. It's a step by step guide for the complete strip down process http://www.garandgear.com/how-to-per...your-m1-garand. I plan on spending tomorrow doing this to my new Garand just to be sure everything is A-OK.
Old 07-20-2013, 9:41 PM

First of all if you had premature ejection (keep it clean guys) make sure it's not the infamous French SF clips. If it is I'm almost certain that is your issue. If not start looking at replacing the clip latch spring and might have to replace it with a heavy duty spring.

If the TG is latched correctly there is no way it will fall out unless it got caught on something.

What do you mean by the bolt very sticky? If you first chamber a round off the clip then most Garands need a little persuation to chamber the first round. After that though it will rock-n-roll.
Yes HXPs are a little warmer than some USGI ammo. In fact I prefer it over USGI.

If you've done the tear down and lube it should rock-n-rolll without issues unless there are some worn/broken parts.
Old 07-20-2013, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll too chime in with the experience that HXP is too hot. I don't like it as it makes my M-1 feel different than other ammo. When shot, it feels like shooting a clunky AK, not an M-1. I don't know if this is reason for concern.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 07-21-2013, 9:38 AM

By stick it took a good bit of persuasion to open the bolt after a shot with the Schuster all the way open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
First of all if you had premature ejection (keep it clean guys) make sure it's not the infamous French SF clips. If it is I'm almost certain that is your issue. If not start looking at replacing the clip latch spring and might have to replace it with a heavy duty spring.

If the TG is latched correctly there is no way it will fall out unless it got caught on something.

What do you mean by the bolt very sticky? If you first chamber a round off the clip then most Garands need a little persuation to chamber the first round. After that though it will rock-n-roll.
Yes HXPs are a little warmer than some USGI ammo. In fact I prefer it over USGI.

If you've done the tear down and lube it should rock-n-rolll without issues unless there are some worn/broken parts.
Old 07-21-2013, 9:53 AM

Lake City is underpowered , I find HXP hotter and more accurate than LC.
Yes it is possible for the trigger group to fall out if the lock up is very loose.
Either wood can be compressed or the trigger gaurd lugs can be worn.
All 16 of my Garands have no issues with SF enblocs. Some report issues with them but I would be they have worn parts contributing to ejection
As already suggested replace the clip latch spring
Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 AM

Ok I ordered the clip spring with an extra for good measure. I also ordered the pin to go with it just in case, and its always easier to have some spare parts laying around. It was not one of the infamous clips that did it, it was a CMP that popped out early. So I am gonna replace it and go from there.
Thanks for the tips guys, I will let you know what develops.
Preston
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Hey thought I would let all of you guys know that the spring fixed the problem perfectly. Had absolutely no problems holding the enblocs in the magazine once I put the new one in.
Old 08-07-2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmoore87 View Post
Hey thought I would let all of you guys know that the spring fixed the problem perfectly. Had absolutely no problems holding the enblocs in the magazine once I put the new one in.
Good deal, glad you got functioning properly