Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 7:30 PM

Default CCW modification appointments no longer available?

Hey everyone, just got this email today, not sure what this means but my CCW is due for renewal in September. Any ideas if this is just for mods or including renewals?

Attention: My name

Until further notice the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department will NOT be accepting appointments for "weapon" modifications to CCW Permits. We are ONLY accepting modification appointments for "address changes".

Should you have any questions, please contact us at ccw@sacsheriff.com
Old 07-17-2013, 8:15 PM

Sounds like you can't change the wepon that you have registered under your CCW. Might be a statistics thing, "number of guns" count wide thing
Old 07-17-2013, 9:48 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjm23 View Post
Hey everyone, just got this email today, not sure what this means but my CCW is due for renewal in September. Any ideas if this is just for mods or including renewals?

Attention: My name

Until further notice the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department will NOT be accepting appointments for "weapon" modifications to CCW Permits. We are ONLY accepting modification appointments for "address changes".

Should you have any questions, please contact us at ccw@sacsheriff.com
The email is just talking about modifications other than Address. So, what guns are listed are what are going to be listed for the time being. I cant imagine it has anything to do with renewals. You should be good to go but you can always call Amber.

"I do solemnly swear to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America and hereby submit to a sentence of no less than 99 years in federal pound-me-in-the-*** prison should I fail to adhere to these terms I do so swear"...etc.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 AM

FYI-

Responded to email from SSD regarding modification appointments by sending them an email asking if this was a temporary situation due to abacklog or was this going to be a permanent policy change.

The answer I got was "there is currently no discussion of opening these appointments back up".

Not very encoouraging.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 AM

I hate to say it, but developments like this chip away a little at my certainty that the conspiracy theorists are wrong about SSD's plans for the future.
Old 07-22-2013, 6:37 PM

How were you ever certain?

Sac has NEVER been anywhere close to virtual shall issue, as so often claimed here.
Old 07-22-2013, 9:21 PM

That doesn't necessarily mean any of the various wild conjectures and explanations that get thrown around have any merit. There isn't enough confirmed information to know exactly why they do what they do down there, or how they plan to administer things in the future. Still, the development concerning modifications does provoke speculation.
Old 07-22-2013, 9:24 PM

Received an email from Amber. Existing appointments will be honored.

I'll be adding one, but am curious about one thing though. What about people who want to sell a gun, that's currently listed on their ccw?
Old 07-23-2013, 6:13 AM
Veteran Member

The county has been notorious for lack of manpower. I guess they have more important things to spend money on like illegals', Basketball arenas, Welfare, Union pandering road projects that fix nothing and take months... so on and so on... Not a surprise the SCSD is getting screwed. Not sure if the limiting is on purpose to screw us or just because of the general lack of funding. They haven't been overjoyed to be forced to give out CCW permits to begin with.

I had no problem being issued 'ONCE I HAD AN APPOINTMENT' but that took forever and I had to jump on last minute open appointment's to move up to somewhere resembling a short wait.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 07-23-2013, 6:20 AM

I just waited until my renewal to make my modifications.

It saves everyone's time and I figured making due with what I had was a heck of a lot better than before (no-issue).

The less time people take up with modifications the more time the Sheriff's staff have for new CCW's. The pie is only so big
Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 PM

Still wondering what you do if you sell a gun that's on your license....
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 07-23-2013, 2:13 PM

The person or business you sell it to has to let you carry it whenever you want. They may also carry it, if you write a note for them.

Obviously, not really
Old 07-23-2013, 2:14 PM

Default CCW modification appointments no longer available?

Seriously, though, this little detail argues against the "master plan to slow down the process" hypothesis. It makes it seem exactly like what it probably is--SSD reacting to a demand that exceeds what the personnel resources they can use to meet it. The apparent lack of consideration of that variable could be a product of trying to keep both oars in the water.
Old 08-19-2013, 2:44 PM

I'm screwed! Sold my CCW's, I guess I'll have to wait for my renewal. 3/2014.
How do I inform them of the sales?
Old 08-19-2013, 6:35 PM

Since the gun limit is a SO thing and they are swamped.....they could do like Nevada recently did.....qualify with one, you're qualified with all makes & calibers. The SO could also drop the requirement limiting the 3 hand guns and drop the listing requirement for 'Make', 'Model' or 'Serial Number'.

Now, that would be novel and I'd bet it would free up a ton of time for everyone concerned!!!

You get you training, qualify with your choice of hand gun, show you're safe and know how to handle a firearm safely and you should be good to go!

It's up to you to be totally proficient with your choice of firearm and up to you to practice and get any additional or advance training that you may want or need.

Everyone's happy.....CCWs get issued quicker.....no need to update when you change what you carry......it's a 'WIN-WIN'!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM

If you sell your firearm, I would immediately let the SO know.
Old 08-20-2013, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan2 View Post
Since the gun limit is a SO thing and they are swamped.....they could do like Nevada recently did.....qualify with one, you're qualified with all makes & calibers. The SO could also drop the requirement limiting the 3 hand guns and drop the listing requirement for 'Make', 'Model' or 'Serial Number'.

Now, that would be novel and I'd bet it would free up a ton of time for everyone concerned!!!

You get you training, qualify with your choice of hand gun, show you're safe and know how to handle a firearm safely and you should be good to go!

It's up to you to be totally proficient with your choice of firearm and up to you to practice and get any additional or advance training that you may want or need.

Everyone's happy.....CCWs get issued quicker.....no need to update when you change what you carry......it's a 'WIN-WIN'!!!
Good idea. Or if they wanted to keep the training requirement for each pistol, they could just simply not require the pistol to be specifically listed on the license but require that you have a certification card from the instructor.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM

How do I notify Sac Sheriff of my CCW sales if there's no appointments?
Sent email with no response.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Still wondering what you do if you sell a gun that's on your license....
I don't think you have to do anything unless you're trying to carry a new gun. it's up to the person who buys it to put it on THIER ccw if they want to carry it. the only thing that concerns you is if YOU want to ccw a different weapon than the one that's on YOUR permit.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 09-10-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan2 View Post

Drop the 3 gun thing.
Nevada:
Note:
Beginning
Oct 1, 2013 you can qualify with any type of firearm and can carry any type of firearm you own.
Your Instructor should inform you of that.
There will be no more Revolver, Semi-auto or both listed on your permit. There will be no more listing of firearms by serial number on your Permit as the new law is below. I do not know how this will affect permits already issued and if you still have to carry one listed on your previously issued permit. I would say that you can now carry any firearm you own. The law does state, Handgun owned by the person or obtained thereafter.
NRS 202.36572.
A person applying for a permit may submit one application and obtain one permit to carry all handguns owned by the person. The person must not be required to list and identify on the application each handgun owned by the person. A permit is valid for any handgun which is owned or thereafter obtained by the person to whom the permit is issued.
Old 09-24-2013, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
Drop the 3 gun thing.
Nevada:
Note:
Beginning
Oct 1, 2013 you can qualify with any type of firearm and can carry any type of firearm you own.
Your Instructor should inform you of that.
There will be no more Revolver, Semi-auto or both listed on your permit. There will be no more listing of firearms by serial number on your Permit as the new law is below. I do not know how this will affect permits already issued and if you still have to carry one listed on your previously issued permit. I would say that you can now carry any firearm you own. The law does state, Handgun owned by the person or obtained thereafter.
NRS 202.36572.
A person applying for a permit may submit one application and obtain one permit to carry all handguns owned by the person. The person must not be required to list and identify on the application each handgun owned by the person. A permit is valid for any handgun which is owned or thereafter obtained by the person to whom the permit is issued.

^this OR they can up the fee to make the change. If so many are doing it, it would be a nice income source for them and might slow down the changers. However, $10 seems like a nice income stream for some paper shuffling and some typing too.