Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 AM

Default Is this stock fixable

So, I have my Great Grandfathers Remington Model 10 shotgun and its stock is badly cracked. I would like to fix it, but I have never attempted anything like this and don't know if it's possible. I will replace it if I have to, but I'd rather fix the original if it's possible.

Thanks! Here they are.
Also, does anyone know where I can date old Remingtons?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM

It's fixable.
Old 07-17-2013, 2:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Can you close up the crack with a clamp? if so cram some glue in there and clamp it really good. You can use a piece of paper or compressed air to get the glue deep into the crack.
Old 07-17-2013, 3:35 PM

Sometimes people clean their guns and apply too much gun oil, then stand the gun vertically on the butt. This allows the oil to migrate to the stock. Over time, the oil softens the wood and eventually the stock splits at the weakened area. Sometimes in older guns, where the finish has worn, the action of moisture as well as dry air can cause the wood to split. The cracks you've shown are at the wrist, or grip area, which is the weakest area of the stock.

It may be possible to save the original stock if the damage isn't too severe; at least it's worth trying first. However, if you plan to shoot it much, it might be a better idea to look around the gun shows for a used stock or just buy a new replacement.

Last edited by Dutch Henry; 07-17-2013 at 3:38 PM..
Old 07-17-2013, 3:42 PM

Location: Riverside, Southern Province, People's Republic of KALIFORNIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
Can you close up the crack with a clamp? if so cram some glue in there and clamp it really good. You can use a piece of paper or compressed air to get the glue deep into the crack.
Then with the action off drill through the wrist and glue a couple wood dowels through the cracked area.
Won't crack again...
Old 07-17-2013, 3:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

depends on what you mean by fix it looks like it has shrunk so the cracks will not close up

maybe a few wraps with some silicone fusing tape
Old 07-17-2013, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

If it will flex enough to get the cracks tight, use a good epoxy wood glue or Weldwood resin glue, and use a blood pressure cuff for a clamp. A piece of wax paper between the cuff and the glue is a good idea. When that glue sets, you could also embed some metal dowels down the long axis of the wrist. Set those with epoxy as well. If you have long enough drill bits and take your time and plan your moves you wont see much evidence of your fix.
Old 07-18-2013, 3:53 AM

You could go here: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...18365&cat=1227 and replace it. Those look pretty bad and if it splinters and breaks when you fire it with your face right there it could get messy.
Old 07-21-2013, 1:17 PM

Thanks everyone. I was looking at the boyds stock. Maybe I'll try fixing it and if I shoot it just swap it into the new stock. I opened up the cracks to make them more evident in the pictures. They close nicely when pushed together, so I'll try the glue and dowels and see how it looks.