Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area Married 27 years with 3 kids, i did not live in a rural area for most of my life. I didn't have OTHER HOBBIES that inhibited my ability to not become an avid hunter.

My point was more along the lines of, if you do want to get into hunting, and you want to be successful, you have to put the time in no matter what. If that means giving up other hobbies so be it. If you don't want to give up those hobbies, then expect poor results in the field when you go hunting.

Its a priority thing! If you have the money for a guide then that works too!! If you don't, then oh well, you can't have what you can't afford.

Yes, i do go to Canada once a year to hunt for geese. Its also an all inclusive (airfare excluded) where food, lodging, cleaning, packaging (for the plane). This is really a different kind of hunt than big game though.

The OP in question appears to literally live next to the los padres and FHL. My advice was to simply, go hunt. Its available within an hour or two if you want it bad enough.
Yes...it is a priority thing. For some people it's not gonna reach the top of the list. That's like saying unless you intend swing a club like Tiger, dont bother playing golf, or unless you're gonna play like Jordan or Kobe then dont bother stepping on a court.

The OP might be better off looking to do a hunt in the midwest somewhere, because as we've agreed, hunting CA wilderness deer is just a whole different ball game. They're not glued to the woods next to a corn field where they come to feed everyday. They range far and wide depending on availabilty of food & water, weather etc, then throw terrain in to the mix and it's party. Not nearly as easy to "pattern" as some cornfed white tails that pretty much live in the same spot all year.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

You don't need a midwestern corn field. Just get a guided hunt to someplace with lots of alfalfa.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
You don't need a midwestern corn field. Just get a guided hunt to someplace with lots of alfalfa.
Or a salt lick and a cooler full of beer
Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
Yes...it is a priority thing. For some people it's not gonna reach the top of the list. That's like saying unless you intend swing a club like Tiger, dont bother playing golf, or unless you're gonna play like Jordan or Kobe then dont bother stepping on a court.

The OP might be better off looking to do a hunt in the midwest somewhere, because as we've agreed, hunting CA wilderness deer is just a whole different ball game. They're not glued to the woods next to a corn field where they come to feed everyday. They range far and wide depending on availabilty of food & water, weather etc, then throw terrain in to the mix and it's party. Not nearly as easy to "pattern" as some cornfed white tails that pretty much live in the same spot all year.
Absolutely!

Couple of minor corrections though. Coastal deer (blacktails) Generally don't venture far and wide. In fact they can generally be found within a square mile for their entire lives. Terrain is certainly a factor.

The midwestern white tail hunt would be a blast and great too. If the guy can't afford a guided hunt for a blacktail here though, what makes you think he could afford a hunt like that in another state? Again, priority, money and willingness to learn.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Absolutely!

Couple of minor corrections though. Coastal deer (blacktails) Generally don't venture far and wide. In fact they can generally be found within a square mile for their entire lives. Terrain is certainly a factor.

The midwestern white tail hunt would be a blast and great too. If the guy can't afford a guided hunt for a blacktail here though, what makes you think he could afford a hunt like that in another state? Again, priority, money and willingness to learn.
Yea, they can be spendy.....I was just thinking from a "high likelihood of success" POV.

Dont know much about blacktails, they dont live in my neighborhood. But ability to stay put is still dependent on food & water supply. Down south here those can vary quite alot from year to year. We've gone 3 yrs with no significant rainfall, it's pretty damn dry out there.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Or a salt lick and a cooler full of beer
now you're talkin'!

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Yea, they can be spendy.....I was just thinking from a "high likelihood of success" POV.

Dont know much about blacktails, they dont live in my neighborhood. But ability to stay put is still dependent on food & water supply. Down south here those can vary quite alot from year to year. We've gone 3 yrs with no significant rainfall, it's pretty damn dry out there.[/QUOTE]
In all fairness, You are a persistent bunch (socal folks) but the fact remains that Socal is not the best for deer habitat as a whole. Same with many game animals for that matter.

If you really want a decent shot (minus perhaps your premium zones) Its way better up north past the bay area and up to oregon.

Problem is, are you willing to burn the tires to get up here? Money, desire, understanding.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Dont know much about blacktails, they dont live in my neighborhood. But ability to stay put is still dependent on food & water supply. Down south here those can vary quite alot from year to year. We've gone 3 yrs with no significant rainfall, it's pretty damn dry out there.
that is very true we have hardly had any rain here at all. I wonder if we'll get any this year too.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 1:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
that is very true we have hardly had any rain here at all. I wonder if we'll get any this year too.
The lack of rain this year will make your hunt easier this year. Future years of dryness will hurt the survival rate of fawns however.
Old 07-18-2013, 1:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

[QUOTE=taperxz;11848455]
Quote:
In all fairness, You are a persistent bunch (socal folks) but the fact remains that Socal is not the best for deer habitat as a whole. Same with many game animals for that matter.

If you really want a decent shot (minus perhaps your premium zones) Its way better up north past the bay area and up to oregon.

Problem is, are you willing to burn the tires to get up here? Money, desire, understanding.
See...this is exactly what I'm talking about. There is an intersection of where reality meets desire.

No, SoCal isn't easy (is that why you dont hunt down here? )....but damn if you can kill a deer here you should be able to anywhere. Reality is, I can practically hunt from my door step, so trying to compare that to make multiple trips way north (along with the expense), although I'd love to hunt some other areas sometime, it's just not something I realistically have the time for between working full time and other demands on my time.

There is more to life than deer.....there is also rabbits, and turkeys, and quail......all of which can be hunted right in my "neighborhood". But there is also a ranch and livestock to tend to, and work to be done, and occasionally some other types fun to be had too.

Quote for the day:
Quote:

Last edited by Untamed1972; 07-18-2013 at 1:36 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
You have to remember something here to. First of all, Getting a guide for deer is big bucks. The OP stated he can't afford one at current prices. With that said, are there others that are cheaper? YES! Why would a successful guide service charge less than market value if they are good at what they do though?

Keep in mind, I didn't learn how to hunt by reading the interwebs. I learned on my own by looking at maps, traveling to new places (blind) and getting out and hunting. (just like most people) I have never used a guide service. Except for hogs, i see no real need to use a guide service in this state.

The OP has stated several factors in regards to hunting. He states, he has no time to scout, he has had no success with large game, he can't afford the going rate for a guide, rejects the ability to walk into a National Forest and try on his own with the idea he probably won't be successful at first and maybe even first couple of years. His golf and motorcycling is more important, He thinks that his shooting ability alone will get him a large game animal but yet see again his inability to do so.

So what you have here is someone who wants ,wants wants but is not willing to act as an apprentice, can't afford to be taught by a good guide, and won't take the time to learn on his own. What am i missing here?

Oh, his solution is to shoot farm raised animals and then complain about how the animals were passive and the how the other animals he did not shoot didn't even move after he made a kill. What exactly did he expect from a hunt like that? Then come here on CGN with his complaint, and try to beg others to find out what he should do and how he can become a better hunter.
Well, here you go again pushing your "great wisdom" on other people. Frankly no one cares for you or your advice. You say you never have paid for a guided hunt- well good for you! Not everyone is you. We are all different. I've have heard great things from folks that find a good guide, the learn, sharpen their skills and hopefully make a kill- what is wrong about that?

Anyways, once again all over your post, you are ASSUMING. You know what they say about that. You have made 3 critical ASSUMPTIONS
1. That I will not go to a national forest. When did I say, I will not go? Heck pass an 8 digit grid coordinate of where to start in the los padres, and maybe I will just make the trek out there.

2. You say motorcyles and golf are more important to me. When did I say that? Once again you ASSUME. I said I have other hobbies besides hunting.

3. When did I come on CGn and complain? I merely wrote a review about an experience and asked for perspective. On my second thread- this one. I asked for a deer guide/outfitter recommendation- which I have now received.

Addtionally for deer guides some charge 2K, so my 1800K budget is not that off. But I found a guide, for my price range, thanks to a member's recommendation. So all is well.

So what exactly is your problem? You are hostile, cocky, and you wont even back your stuff up. I offered to come to your place and teach you how to shoot didn't I? I offered to put a advance tactical shooting clinic at your pad. Provided you provided the ammo and the sheeps as targets

You do not want to take me on my offer. You are an internet TROLL, hiding behind a screen. You say nothing constructive to anyone.

Ok here is another offer Mr. Master Hunter- let's go hunt deer. Come to LOS PADRES, You lead I follow. PM me and lets set a date. hmmm, something tells me you will me a lame *** excuse. OK another offer. I come to your neck of the woods, you show me the great hunting skills. In turn, I will show what "gun fighting" is all about. Not "marksmanship" but as my old SGM would say gents, lets do some "GUN FIGHTING". Trust me when the Zombie Horde comes to your ranch , you will be better off with your newly acquired skills in "gun fighting" then your antiquated knowledge that your grand dad thought you.

Just trying to help you out patna

PS-- hunting in the MIDWEST, like those hunting shows, that sounds ideal. Luckily I have a friend stationed in Kansas. Coordination is under way for a great Kansas deer hunt Heee Haaawwwwwww

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-18-2013 at 1:28 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideflange View Post
You know, it's interesting to sniff around phenol inter webs. Some guys who constantly claim to be the Mutual of Omaha wilderness studs shouldn't use the same username on their other posts and or videos.

Just saying....

Shooting chickens from your single wide on someone else ranch might take away a little cred

Grey an, if you ever find yourself up my way pm me. I'd be glad to show you around. Thanks for your service!

Thanks brother- much appreciated.

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Old 07-18-2013, 1:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
In all fairness, You are a persistent bunch (socal folks) but the fact remains that Socal is not the best for deer habitat as a whole. Same with many game animals for that matter. duh! and dam right we are persistent enough to drive you up the wall.

If you really want a decent shot (minus perhaps your premium zones) Its way better up north past the bay area and up to oregon. thanks mr obivious

my friends and I spent enough money time and gas to get where we need to go but I guess if we spent less than you its not enough.
typical attitude from you.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 07-18-2013 at 1:47 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 1:35 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Untamed1972;11848636]
Quote:

See...this is exactly what I'm talking about. There is an intersection of where reality meets desire.

No, SoCal isn't easy (is that why you dont hunt down here? )....but damn if you can kill a deer here you should be able to anywhere. Reality is, I can practically hunt from my door step, so trying to compare that to make multiple trips way north (along with the expense), although I'd love to hunt some other areas sometime, it's just not something I realistically have the time for between working full time and other demands on my time.

There is more to life than deer.....there is also rabbits, and turkeys, and quail......all of which can be hunted right in neighborhood. But there is also a ranch and livestock to tend to, and work to be done, and occasionally some other types fun to be had too.
My point was made more in general of socal and its deer habitat. Of course there is deer down there and good places to hunt. I wan't talking about you in particular.

Just in the bay area alone there are deer problems. Like where my parents live, you just don't speed at night because you WILL hit a deer. The habitat down in the bay area is fantastic. We just can't shoot them. Up where i am at i can drive a dirt road like i did last week and saw 23 legal bucks in a span of 3 miles. We're talking A zone too!

My last post was not trying to be snide. Perhaps its just my writing style. I am a pretty blunt person in person too.
Old 07-18-2013, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The lack of rain this year will make your hunt easier this year. Future years of dryness will hurt the survival rate of fawns however.
yeah ok dude. sure they will be where the water is and that is the problem there isn't that much around.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 1:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

[QUOTE=taperxz;11848737]
Quote:

My point was made more in general of socal and its deer habitat. Of course there is deer down there and good places to hunt. I wan't talking about you in particular.

Just in the bay area alone there are deer problems. Like where my parents live, you just don't speed at night because you WILL hit a deer. The habitat down in the bay area is fantastic. We just can't shoot them. Up where i am at i can drive a dirt road like i did last week and saw 23 legal bucks in a span of 3 miles. We're talking A zone too!

My last post was not trying to be snide. Perhaps its just my writing style. I am a pretty blunt person in person too.
Sounds like country and joker could be successful in. LOL Come hunt D-16 and see what you're really made of!

And I was refering mostly to your comments of:

Quote:
You need to realize that not everyone's motivation or goal in hunting is the same as yours. For me it has more to do with getting to know my own area like the back of my hand, not about hanging trophies on the wall. So my time spent scouting is not just about looking for deer, it's about gaining all kinds of knowledge about my specific area. So spending alot of money and time just to kill a deer 1000 miles from home does not address my underlying goals. So the simple answer is "NO" I'm not willing to burn the tires, because that's not my focus or desire or goal.

If your goal is something else.....great. Go for it. Just realize that not everyone has the same goal or desire you do.

Quote for the day:
Quote:

Last edited by Untamed1972; 07-18-2013 at 1:49 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 1:43 PM

[QUOTE=Untamed1972;11848780]
Quote:

Sounds like country and joker could be successful in. LOL Come hunt D-16 and see what you're really made of!
Does that include the cleveland national forest?

Old 07-18-2013, 1:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
yeah ok dude. sure they will be where the water is and that is the problem there isn't that much around.
Sorry you are not smart enough to know what i am talking about. Its a fact of deer hunting just like its a fact when duck hunting.

When Sacramento get low on water when they are root rotting the rice the farmer get screwed and the duck hunters get no water. Where there is water the ducks flock to it. It you are lucky enough to be near that water, you shoot lots of ducks.

Same with deer, instead of being spread out at multiple springs you may have multiple deer using one spring. Find the spring and you will kill deer.

Its not rocket science.
Old 07-18-2013, 1:45 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Untamed1972;11848780]
Quote:

No thanks! Isn't A zone considered the worst zone in the state percentage wise?
Old 07-18-2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry you are not smart enough to know what i am talking about. Its a fact of deer hunting just like its a fact when duck hunting.

When Sacramento get low on water when they are root rotting the rice the farmer get screwed and the duck hunters get no water. Where there is water the ducks flock to it. It you are lucky enough to be near that water, you shoot lots of ducks.

Same with deer, instead of being spread out at multiple springs you may have multiple deer using one spring. Find the spring and you will kill deer.

Its not rocket science.

Once again dude- I say this to you. Find a place where humans can sustain life- up in the afghan mtns/deserts and you will find the Taliban.

Like I have told you many times, military skills translate directly into hunting skills. You are right about one thing. Where there is water, there is life. So yes, it's not rocket science. If you find the water source, you will find deer. Is that the only advice a master hunter like you can bestow on us lowly posers???

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-18-2013 at 1:51 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 1:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

[QUOTE=thegreyman2013;11848810]
Quote:

Does that include the cleveland national forest?
Yes. D-16 is pretty much all of San Diego county, including the CNF.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 1:53 PM

[QUOTE=Untamed1972;11848867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreyman2013 View Post

Yes. D-16 is pretty much all of San Diego county, including the CNF.
I have another buddy of mine, who recently got out of the military. He lives in El Cajon, not too far from CNF. He is always asking me to down, so we can hunt. I guess it's pretty barren ehh? Excuse my ignorance. I am not from California. Been stationed outside of the country for the past 5 years. Been in NORCAL for the past 2 years.

Old 07-18-2013, 1:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

[QUOTE=taperxz;11848828]
Quote:

I dunno. I dont have all the zones memorized. Like I said.....my focus in on my area. I know the stats here are out of 3000 buck tags......less than 300 filled tags are reported every year, and that's with a 30day season. Achery season take is next to nothing.

It's tough country, on the public land anyway. Alot of steep terrain, lots of dense brush you can't even move thru. Alot of the really prime back country is private land or indian res, etc.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 2:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I have another buddy of mine, who recently got out of the military. He lives in El Cajon, not too far from CNF. He is always asking me to down, so we can hunt. I guess it's pretty barren ehh? Excuse my ignorance. I am not from California. Been stationed outside of the country for the past 5 years. Been in NORCAL for the past 2 years.
D-16 tags are sold out already for this year, but yea....it's tough country at times, and you gotta share with everyone else unless you have a hook-up for private land to hunt on.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 2:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
too bad you cant see your arrogance that we all see.

why drive up there I have the Salton Sea to hunt and very successful hunting there for me season after season. and on the sweat line or walking on. I guess I put in the tires and money for that in your eyes.

really I had no idea deer liked water I thought they liked dust to drink.
Its not rocket science.
there you go again your arrogance and ignorance for that matter are showing. I know about water BTW and duck hunting as well.

i'am smart enough to know an arrogant ***** when I see one and this thread has shown your true colors to all of us here.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 07-18-2013 at 2:10 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 2:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
D-16 tags are sold out already for this year, but yea....it's tough country at times, and you gotta share with everyone else unless you have a hook-up for private land to hunt on.
D16 is a tough one. D14 used to be fun until it got over ran by lots of people and I mean lots of them. last time I went there was many years ago and on every outcropping or peak I saw someone. it was crazy.

my favorite zone to hunt is X9A beautiful country very nice people we met on our first trip there. they told all kinds of places to find deer and deer we found. they kept their favorite spot secret but that was ok. but great people none the less. the trout fishing is quite good also. that is where I want to take my Jeep it would be fun up there.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 07-18-2013 at 2:13 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 2:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Its not rocket science.
Bolded are examples of how to take an otherwise factual and informational post and turn it into douchebagging *****ishness.

Quote for the day:
Quote:

Last edited by Untamed1972; 07-18-2013 at 2:13 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 2:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bolded are examples of how to take an otherwise factual and informational post and turn it into douchebagging *****ishness.
Don't you think it would be fair to analyze the post in a context befitting of the person and their post i was referring to?

Chris is not exactly being kind in his remarks as for the other guy, i have him on ignore.
Old 07-18-2013, 2:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Don't you think it would be fair to analyze the post in a context befitting of the person and their post i was referring to?

Chris is not exactly being kind in his remarks as for the other guy, i have him on ignore.
why would I be kind to you? your arrogance is the reason for it. it's not the first time this has been pointed out on this board.

smart aleck remarks deserve smart aleck responses.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 2:20 PM

It doesn't take finding water to find deer...I killed this 4x4 with zero springs or water in the area I was hunting.
Old 07-18-2013, 2:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

too tough for you is it?

it's one of the hardest ones to hunt.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 2:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Gawd! You're like a little kid

Mom: He's being mean!

He's doing it too

Well he started it

No I didn't

Yuh huh

Nuh Uh!

LOL

Dont make me pull this thread over Mr.!

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 2:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad allred View Post
It doesn't take finding water to find deer...I killed this 4x4 with zero springs or water in the area I was hunting.
nice deer. you got him at that right moment.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 2:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

He's doing it too

Well he started it

No I didn't

Yuh huh

Nuh Uh!

LOL

lol

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 2:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
too tough for you is it?

it's one of the hardest ones to hunt.
No i just don't need to drive to socal to hunt. I wake up in my own bed, have breakfast, feed the animals, and go hunt. My money was spent on buying my property.
Old 07-18-2013, 2:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad allred View Post
BS!! You think there is no water out there! An active spring can hold as little as half a gallon of water or less at a time. The deer might even have to stick their nose down in the rocks to drink out of it. They smell water like that.

Do you really think the deer has no water source???
Old 07-18-2013, 2:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

He's doing it too

Well he started it

No I didn't

Yuh huh

Nuh Uh!

LOL

Aren't you basically saying the same thing only in a chivalrous way to help defend the posters who don't see eye to eye with me? I guess you guys have some sort of man love for each other something
Old 07-18-2013, 2:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Aren't you basically saying the same thing only in a chivalrous way to help defend the posters who don't see eye to eye with me? I guess you guys have some sort of man love for each other something
Or maybe because there is a long and well documented history of this kind of behavior from you, and quite often you seem to be the instigator.....so quit point fingers and lay off the douchery!

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 3:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Or maybe because there is a long and well documented history of this kind of behavior from you, and quite often you seem to be the instigator.....so quit point fingers and lay off the douchery!
You follow me that much?

I didn't realize one could make such an impact on ones life by posting in an internet forum.
Old 07-18-2013, 3:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
1. That I will not go to a national forest. When did I say, I will not go? Heck pass an 8 digit grid coordinate of where to start in the los padres, and maybe I will just make the trek out there.
And here is the real problem with the OP's attitude toward HUNTING. He wants someone else to do all the real "hunting" for him. He seems like he only wants to or is willing to harvest a deer without even experiencing a real hunt.

Now, I'm an old self taught deer hunter who started hunting A zone back in '85. It took me a couple years to learn what I was doing and learn different areas in the LPNF. However, once I learned a little and discovered where I enjoyed spending time to hunt, I would fill two tags every year. It's not that hard to do if you work at it a little. Just don't expect anyone to give you coords to their secret honey holes. I will give you a hint. I have taken a lot of deer from areas in the forest which are heavily hunted by morons who don't have any patients or knowledge of their game. Don't think you need to go deep into the forest to find bucks. They really don't know where the forest boundaries are. Spend time during the off season watching deer in parks or where ever and learn their body language and habits. I've even spent time in the off season stalking deer in open fields just to see how close I can get to them before they alert.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.