Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:56 PM

Default new WASR 10 an 922r

So I'm picking up my DD's Ranch WASR tomorrow, and have a few questions. I have the BB ready to go, so I am putting on a grip. I bought a used looking wood one at Gunrunners with the hardware (no markings or stamp). My question on that is, will it affect the 922r compliance? Just to be safe I bought a cheapie black plastic (tapco?) at Ammo Bros as a back up. I also have a slant muzzle break I ordered from Blackjack Buffers. Last, I picked up a 10/30 mag at Ades (no markings whatsoever).

With these parts, am I in the clear?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 AM

I believe the WASR comes with the minimum amount of compliance parts installed (trigger, hammer, disconnecter, gas piston, pistol grip). Adding a US made muzzle brake will not reduce the number of foreign parts if the rifle did not already come with a brake. So assuming your magazine contains no US made parts, you will need to have a US made pistol grip to remain compliant.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

WASR AK's that don't have the muzzle attachments are modified by Century to be legal when using foreign magazines, so the only other parts that they are probably replacing to be compliant, and because they are the easiest, are:
fire control group (3 pcs)
furniture (3 pcs)

So unless you're running only Promag US made magazines, I would recommend that you replace the PG with a US made one.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Is there any way to tell if the wood grip I have is US made? Is there a way for anyone to tell if it is not?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:02 AM

I just spoke with Gunrunners, and the wood grip is in fact a WASR take off from when they get them. So, putting a WASR grip onto a WASR... good? bad? I've read and read, but honestly the parts count thing confuses me still

If I replace the FCG with a G2 (which I've heard is reccomended), would that solve the problem?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 1:08 PM

Last edited by !@#$; 12-20-2007 at 1:11 PM..
Old 12-20-2007, 1:23 PM
Banned

From what I understand, Century puts in a U.S. hammer, trigger, sear (HST) pistol grip, and gas piston when it imports those rifles. If you are going to replace the pistol grip, you should use a U.S. made pistol grip OR replace the buttstock with a U.S. buttstock if you use a foreign PG.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=237733

If you really want to make the rifle look nice - here's some full furniture kits - all U.S. made. . .

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbok View Post
I just spoke with Gunrunners, and the wood grip is in fact a WASR take off from when they get them. So, putting a WASR grip onto a WASR... good? bad? I've read and read, but honestly the parts count thing confuses me still

If I replace the FCG with a G2 (which I've heard is reccomended), would that solve the problem?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbok View Post

Thanks
If you just bought the WASR-10 from DD's Ranch it most likely already has a G2 installed. Century has been putting them in the newer ones. You should be able to tell by inspecting the side of the trigger and looking for a "Tapco USA" mark.
Old 12-20-2007, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommkat View Post
If you just bought the WASR-10 from DD's Ranch it most likely already has a G2 installed. Century has been putting them in the newer ones. You should be able to tell by inspecting the side of the trigger and looking for a "Tapco USA" mark.
Got it home, stripped and cleaned it. The Tapco G2 is in there.

So..... am I OK putting on the WASR wood pistol grip? It's a nice grip I want to refinish with the rest of the furniture. If for some reason that is the make or break 922 part, what else can I replace (besides furniture) to get the count even? I know I'm probably beating the horse, but I just want to be sure I'm in compliance.

On a side note, if I were to make my own wood grip, is that considered a US made part?

Thanks for the help guys.