Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 PM

Default Chapter Meets and Range Safety

This is a rant, but a rant we all need to hear and think about and have a discussion before the next meet up.

At the last meet n shoot at LAX there were multiple people muzzle sweeping everyone as they went to and from the firing line. Some with mags still inserted in their firearms. I wanted to say something, and didn't... but should have. I would have felt horrible if someone got hurt.

One person, carrying his AR (with mag still inserted, how do I know if its unloaded?) horizontally as he goes back to the benches, squats down and his barrel is pointed directly at me and my wife. I think all firearms should be carried to and from the firing line in their cases. If not, then carry them vertically with the muzzle pointed straight up. If it goes off, it hits the ceiling not another person.

The range officer had to get on the speaker and remind people that rapid fire is not allowed... oh, and the dude drawing from a holster... I thought that wasn't allowed at LAX... regardless, I believe his holstering, turning toward the benches twisting back drawing, and firing did not seem very safe. Please leave that for outdoor ranges.

There were a lot of us there this month. There were too many people past the firing line at a time. I believe the range rule is two people per lane, not two people per lane and another two-three behind them past the firing line. Everyone else should be on the benches, standing behind the firing line, or out on the couch. I think a lot of us, if not all of us are guilty of this.

We should also possibly work out some sort of roster (sorry, I know that's a dirty word) that lists who shoots when. Y'know, like a batting roster. This should help keep the amount of people in front of the firing line to a minimum, but also give everyone equal opportunity to shoot.

When letting someone use your firearm, please make sure they know how to use it, or show them how. Don't hand them a loaded firearm ready to fire, let them load it so they are sure it is safe to handle. Safety should be on when picking up a firearm. You shouldn't ever hand someone a loaded firearm unless in danger and they need it immediately for self defense purposes.

mrsfunnybookz and I have a genuinely great time at the meets. We'd hate to skip out due to it feeling unsafe.

Maybe I'm the only one that noticed any of this. Maybe I imagined it (I hope so).

Props to Jeremy for being on the ball with the broom, clearing brass.

This is a fun event and I'd hate to see someone get hurt. We all need to pay more attention.