Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-13-2013, 6:43 PM

Default Don Ziegler Moved My Cheese (My Thoughts on the 7/13 Clinic)...

...but I found it again. And when I did, I realized he'd replaced the old smelly stuff with a wheel of fine gorgonzola!!!

I thought I knew about skeet shooting, having shot the game since I was six (34 years) at various levels and in competition. I'd even done some instructing back in the day. Turns out I didn't know a damned thing...but I didn't know it. Does that make sense? Nope. But I went into today's clinic with the attitude of a student. I was there to learn. Period. Open mind to EVERYTHING being taught to me, meaning to do everything as exactly as I was being asked to do it despite my past experience. Almost all of the changes they asked me to make put me WAY out of my comfort zone (why is my upper back KILLING ME!?!?). But all of it WORKED. During the clinic, I shot a total of 56 shotshells. I broke 55 clays doing everything as they asked. After the clinic, a few of us stayed to shoot a game. I broke 24. The only two I missed the entire day were the same: #6 low house. All-in-all, I am seeing the birds better, establishing leads quicker, and swinging the gun more effectively due to improved gun fit and improved stance.

I am a changed skeet shooter.

The clinics that Don Z. and CaptainDick put on are worth every penny at four-times the price, AND THEY AREN'T JUST FOR NEW SKEET SHOOTERS!! Everyone has something they can learn, no matter their experience level!! I'll be attempting to keep the techniques fresh in my mind in the coming weeks, and I plan to attend more clinics in the near future.

Thank you, gentlemen, for the day of instruction! And thanks to the gentlemen (and lady) who came out to shoot the clinic! Y'all were a pleasure to shoot with!

Pics:

Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 AM

Coach and I both thank you for the kind words, and thanks for posting a "debrief" for the Clinic. I always appreciate when one of the shooters does that. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing everyone back at a future clinic.
Old 07-14-2013, 3:43 PM

Well that is me(red shirt) with the one inch of foam taped onto my stock for fit. I had that so wrong. The fit of the gun are so important. Positioning and posture are so much more important than I could have ever imagined. I am quite amazed that they gave so much instruction to so many at one time.

Coach Don(right with bulldog hat) and Captain Dick(behind me in white t-shirt) work together with you. Do what they say and you hit clays.

I have a loooooooong way to go, and I will be signing up again.

Thanks Coach Don and Captain Dick!

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!

Last edited by shovelon; 07-14-2013 at 3:48 PM..
Old 07-14-2013, 6:32 PM

I have had the honor of taking both inaugural classes, the very first level 1 and level 2. So I am Super Duper Alumni. I used a 16 gauge SXS, with two triggers and an English stock, not the ideal skeet gun, but the one I hunt with lately. Don't worry future attendees, everyone is cool with you usin' the gun ya got.

I cannot commend Mr. Ziegler enough for the great service he is doing. Thank you! And kudos too, to the Calgunners making it happen. I don't know you Captain Dick, but I know your predecessor (His handle escapes me. I will come back with it.). Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Tanner68; 07-14-2013 at 6:35 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Don's classes were well worth the money. I haven't shot skeet as much as I would like to lately, but I did make some great gains last time I went out to practice (used his techniques). My brother and I were actually shooting all doubles and some stations backwards, all with up to 40 mph gusts. The dust was really blowing across the parking lot at Prado. We went through around 8 rounds but we had the field to ourselves. I shot well and I wasn't absolutely beat by time I was done. Don is right about getting up there and just doing it without thinking. The longer you ho hum around and the more you think about it, the more tired you will get.