Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-08-2013, 7:58 AM

Default Sig 716 scope issues.

I originally posted this in the optics forum but didn't get a response. I apologize if this is not allowed but I figured the center fire section had more traffic and I would have a better chance at getting a response. Anyway, my issue below...

Quick question for all you optics pros out there. I have a redfield 3-9 x 50mm scope and I'm using an Armalite mount. When mounted on my LWRC the scope is spot on. I removed the scope several times mounting it on different guns and it has worked perfect. Anyway, when mounted on my Sig Sauer 716 I have to crank the windage knob all the way to the right and it still not zeroed. The shooter next to me suggested I buy fixed rings next time as they are more consistent. Anyway, I will be buying a whole new scope mount combo for the Sig but just curious as to why such a big difference when mounted on the Sig 716. I honestly dont even know where to start trouble shooting. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP with an ADM mount is a great combo on the lower end, NF is the way to go if you have lots of loot to spend. Your current scope and mount might be torqued down incorrectly and is just a bit off.
Old 07-08-2013, 8:20 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll have to google the proper mounting specs on the Arnalite and try it out this weekend.
I had my scopes narrowed down to the leupold vxr series and the vortex viper pxt series. Both looked really nice and I can't make up my mind yet. Ha.
Old 07-08-2013, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Take a careful look and make sure the mount isn't hung up on something. If the scope zeros on other rifles but is way off on your Sig, there might be something wrong with the mount hitting something, otherwise your Sig has a problem.
Old 07-08-2013, 9:27 AM

The funny thing is the iron sights zeroed easily with 10 rounds at 100 meters. I started to think that maybe the sig flat top rails are out of spec but that idea kinda seems crazy to me. To the baked eye the flat top rail aligns perfectly with the quad rails so it may not be the gun. I was running out of time Saturday so ill reset the scope and mounts and try again this weekend.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM

I have my Leupold VX•R Patrol mounted on my 716 with this mount:

AMERICAN DEFENSE - QUICK-RELEASE AD-RECON MOUNT

No problems and remains zeroed when removed and replaced.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 PM

@ewarmour - thanks for the input. What magnification is your VXR and hiw far have you shot with it? I seriously have to try a different scope and mount combo.
Old 07-08-2013, 2:42 PM

might be a burr in the receiver rail or even an out of spec receiver. You're just mounting it to the upper receiver, not the handguard rail, right?

-W
Old 07-08-2013, 3:00 PM

Actually the Armalite mount is not high enough to clear the rear sights so it is mounted forward on both the flat top rail and the first notch on the hand guard rail.
Old 07-08-2013, 3:01 PM

I will take photos and post later on tonight. Also, I didn't notice any burr's on any of the rail sections.
Old 07-08-2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
Actually the Armalite mount is not high enough to clear the rear sights so it is mounted forward on both the flat top rail and the first notch on the hand guard rail.
That is probably your problem then. Never mount an optic to the hand guard rail. Try removing the rear iron and moving the scope back. Bet it solves your issue.

-W
Old 07-08-2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer View Post
That is probably your problem then. Never mount an optic to the hand guard rail. Try removing the rear iron and moving the scope back. Bet it solves your issue.

-W
^^^ this....
Old 07-08-2013, 4:06 PM

Oh dang, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for all the input starsnuffer. I'll try it out this weekend and post and update. Damn, I wish I can go to the range now. Haha!
Old 07-08-2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
@ewarmour - thanks for the input. What magnification is your VXR and hiw far have you shot with it? I seriously have to try a different scope and mount combo.
VX•R Patrol 1.25-4x20mm. I've shot between 50 & 300 yards with great success. This model has the FireDot reticle so shooting close in with both eyes open is like using a 1x red dot scope. Shooting far out I usually remove the battery or back the threaded battery cover out to turn off the FireDot
Old 07-08-2013, 6:41 PM

@ewarmour - Cool man. Initially I was kind of turned off by the 1.25x not being a true1x but we'll see. Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Just an update, yesterday I bought some warne extra high fixed mounts and mounted it on the receiver rail only. I'm happy to say that it zeroed in freakin 10 rounds. The rifle runs perfect and it s dead on at 100 yards. At 200 yards the group opened up a bit but I'm still impressed. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 PM

Sorry, stated the obvious.

400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043

www.eddysguns.com

Tue-Fri 12-7, Sat 11-5

Last edited by Eddy's Shooting Sports; 07-16-2013 at 1:11 AM..