Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-22-2013, 3:38 PM

Default what is this?

to begin with, i'm very new reloading. i was just in the garage loading up some rounds when i grabbed brass from a batch that i just shot new from the box the other day. it's black hills match ammo for 308. the area around the primer is different. i didn't notice anything differently, like resistance, when i hand primed these. all 20 are like this and different from the federal and winchester brass i'm loading. the brass in question are the 2 at the top. i put a federal and winchester case in for comparison. what is this? is it ok to shoot? do i need to de-prime and do something else? thanks for the help.

Old 07-22-2013, 3:43 PM

The Black Hills ammo is fine, the primers are just crimped into the primer pocket similar to Military ammo.

If you want to reload the cases, you will have to swage or remove the crimp to seat new primers.

Hornady has also done this in the past year or two to their 308 Winchester TAP line of ammo.
Old 07-22-2013, 3:55 PM

so if i de-prime the brass, should i just toss those primers and use new ones or can they be reused after that? thanks again
Old 07-22-2013, 4:22 PM

Yes, you toss the primers and put new ones in.

I think you're not understanding about the the primer crimp. The crimp is around the primer pocket in the shell casing, not in/on the primer. You either have to swage the crimp out of the primer pocket edges or you can cut the crimp out of the edge of the primer pocket using a chamfer type cutter. If you don't swage or cut that crimp, you will not be able to seat a new primer into the primer pocket.

I cut the crimp out by using a Forster primer chamfer tool in the Forster case trimmer. There's a number of ways to do it.

If you decide to get into reloading, find someone in your area to mentor you along with reading about how to reload.
Old 07-22-2013, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
Yes, you toss the primers and put new ones in.

I think you're not understanding about the the primer crimp. The crimp is around the primer pocket in the shell casing, not in/on the primer. You either have to swage the crimp out of the primer pocket edges or you can cut the crimp out of the edge of the primer pocket using a chamfer type cutter. If you don't swage or cut that crimp, you will not be able to seat a new primer into the primer pocket.

I cut the crimp out by using a Forster primer chamfer tool in the Forster case trimmer. There's a number of ways to do it.

If you decide to get into reloading, find someone in your area to mentor you along with reading about how to reload.

Not true... There are circular crimps like posted above that don't need anything done to them.... Sometimes they are a pain but can be reseated
Old 07-22-2013, 4:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
The Black Hills ammo is fine, the primers are just crimped into the primer pocket similar to Military ammo.

If you want to reload the cases, you will have to swage or remove the crimp to seat new primers.

Well I'll be damned... my pal brought over some ammo to reload last night and that's what his primer pockets looked like too. Most would press in just fine with a bit of extra strength, but every once in a while we'd mash a primer up in there and it'd come out all goofy looking. I even suspected that might have been the case.
Old 07-22-2013, 4:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

cut or swage the primer pocket, If you don't your odds of crushing a primer while trying to seat it will be significantly higher. I've tried to muscle through a few crimps and won...but the primers lost. save yourself the foul language of wasting a primer and take two seconds to cut or swage it out.
Old 07-22-2013, 8:01 PM

I've blasted through a couple thousand LC brass with those types of crimps and have never needed to swage. My loss rate is about 1 per 100.
Old 07-22-2013, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

That looks like the elusive brown recluse ring crimp.
Swage it immediately then reload it with a primer before your arm falls off...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 07-22-2013, 9:06 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
That looks like the elusive brown recluse ring crimp.
Swage it immediately then reload it with a primer before your arm falls off...
Stilly is an expert in this field... Heed his warning.
Old 07-22-2013, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

I fought through trying to reprime some .223 and 5.56 cases with the circular primer crimp. I had to swage them to get the primers to seat properly. Once that was done, everything seated fine.
Old 07-22-2013, 9:24 PM

Default Different types of primer crimping

Someone posted this link in another thread - http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic...=9191&start=15.

It has a very nice image that shows a number of different types of crimping.