Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-05-2013, 7:50 PM

Default Anodized 80% Pretty Rough After Machining

Has anybody else had the experience after finishing an anodized 80% AR in a CNC machine, where the anodizing is in pretty rough shape? Like to the point where the aluminum is showing through in some of the areas where the lower was clamped into the CNC? I paid a couple extra bucks on an anodized 80% thinking it'd be good to go with a quick blast of duracoat on the inside, but there are some serious wear areas on the outside... thinking of looking for an anodizer who can strip the original anodizing and refinish the whole thing. I guess I wasted the extra $$ getting an anodized 80%...

Old 07-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Resident Leg Humper
CGN Contributor

Unless it was pounded around in hard jaws while indicating the lower into the machine, then maybe ano may wear off. Maybe. I've done a few black ano 80% lowers in the past couple of months with zero blemishes.

Pics would help

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

Old 07-06-2013, 5:25 AM
Calguns Addict

The usual process to produce a metal part is to machine completely, prep the surface, and then finish.

Machining an already anodized piece is bass-akwards. Start with metal in-the-white, bead blast, and have it finished by a shop who can certify, in writing, that they meet or exceed the relevant mil-spec.

hth

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 07-06-2013, 5:37 AM
#BlackLabsMatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Machining an already anodized piece is bass-akwards.
Ummm, not if you buy an already anodized 80% lower.

Machining an anodized lower is fine, but it helps to have a proper vise, vise jaws and, oh yeah, it helps if you know what you are doing.

Here's an anodized 80% lower I machined, not a mark on it.

OP, yes, a plater can strip and re-anodize your lower for you, don't panic.
Old 07-06-2013, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post

OP, yes, a plater can strip and re-anodize your lower for you, don't panic.
Awesome to hear. Thanks. Now to find an anodizer around me...

Also, that setup looks different than the one that was used on my lowers

Old 07-06-2013, 7:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I used a mill jig and no marks. I have more coming that have already been anodized and am not worried about marks. Clean vice jaws and if needed use pvc jaw protectors that apply even pressure to clamp lower.
Old 07-06-2013, 7:29 AM

+1 with my $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I used a mill jig and no marks. I have more coming that have already been anodized and am not worried about marks.
Blow out any debris with an air compressor and wipe down vice jaws and use pvc jaw protectors that apply even pressure to clamp lower.
Old 07-06-2013, 7:35 AM

Oh. If you are going to use the gun just go ahead and sand down the rough areas and duracoat it. I think they make the self lubricating additive if you want to clean it out easier although personally i have never used it
Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Well, I've found a place that will replate it for me for $60 and do the stripping and prep work. Turn around time is only 2 weeks too. Shouldn't have paid the extra for the anodized 80% but will at least end up with a nice finished lower. Thanks guys for your input and thoughts.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 AM

Jesus Christ that is a lot of money when you coulda just got a new complete lower for $120 or something
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

I have had 5 anodized 80% lowers machined at two different shops and had no unusual wear on the outside.
I think you picked the wrong machine shop.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:54 AM

.01Cent of masking tape would of prevented that. No?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM
#BlackLabsMatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate74 View Post
Also, that setup looks different than the one that was used on my lowers
Programming CNCs and cutting metal is what I do for a living. I just do these set-ups in a vise and run my program. Many novices or newer professional machinists overcomplicate their set-ups because they don't yet understand the cutting forces that will be applied to their workpiece and they fear the workpiece coming loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAUGE View Post
.01Cent of masking tape would of prevented that. No?
You have to be careful using masking tape in milling operations. Masking tape is thick and compresses. The coolant can break down the glue on the tape, the tape can then compress or 'slide', then you get movement of your workpiece, never a good thing while milling. I prefer a simple sheet of paper as protection, when needed. Paper does not compress like tape and there is no glue to break down.
I just clamp a clean lower directly in a clean set of vise jaws, tighten the vise properly and machine away, no paper.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

where did you machine the lower OP?
Old 07-06-2013, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg Vikernes View Post
Jesus Christ that is a lot of money when you coulda just got a new complete lower for $120 or something
You might be missing the point of an 80% build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock Tom View Post
I have had 5 anodized 80% lowers machined at two different shops and had no unusual wear on the outside.
I think you picked the wrong machine shop.
The guy has glowing reviews here and elsewhere, so I had no reason to suspect I'd get anything but a pristine product. Really strange as I see the results others have gotten with similar starting points...

Old 07-06-2013, 8:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

With just soft jaws we have not had an issue machining through Type III.
Old 07-07-2013, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited-Ten View Post
With just soft jaws we have not had an issue machining through Type III.

It almost looks like there was some vibration and some slight movement of the lower during the machining process...

Old 07-07-2013, 7:04 AM
#BlackLabsMatter
CGN Contributor

Were the vise jaws aluminum?
It looks like you may have a little aluminum build-up from aluminum soft jaws there. If, so, that could clean off with some acetone, a clean rag and some elbow grease. Give it a try before stripping and re-anodizing, you've got nothing to lose..........
Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
It looks like you may have a little aluminum build-up from aluminum soft jaws there. If, so, that could clean off with some acetone, a clean rag and some elbow grease. Give it a try before stripping and re-anodizing, you've got nothing to lose..........
Gave it a shot... with no luck. I appreciate the input though. No idea what the vise jaws were made of honestly... kryptonite maybe?

Old 07-07-2013, 2:36 PM

Don't sweat the little defects if its a shooter.. its going to get banged up hunting sooner or later or u building a Safe queen...?

My Rifles see combat chasing those bunnies and Coyotes around..So there a little rough..
Old 07-07-2013, 2:38 PM

Honest wear from usage is fine in my book, but not flaws caused by manufacturing errors. To each his own of course.

Old 07-07-2013, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Scratched up lower - BFD - It's gonna get scratched up when you use it long enough anyway....
Old 07-07-2013, 2:58 PM

Maybe not a BFD to you, but I prefer my builds to look nice when I complete them.

Old 07-07-2013, 3:52 PM
Vendor/Retailer

i have used masking tape layed evenly (no overlapping) .... re-measure the width because it will change and then split that difference for the pocket...anodized pieces come out flawless when we did it this way...this was using alluminum jigs in cnc locating on takedown pin holes .....thought about making delron jigs but havent yet
Old 07-08-2013, 6:08 AM

Well one thing is for sure, I won't be doing any more work at that particular shop... I appreciate hearing from the guys with CNC experience.

Old 07-08-2013, 1:24 PM
Banned

Try a bluing pen.
Old 07-08-2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcitycrawler View Post
Try a bluing pen.
I gave it a go, but from my reading, bluing only works on steel not aluminum. Taking it into the plating shop tomorrow...

Old 07-08-2013, 9:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
This is my guess too.
It's aluminum from the soft jaws, or perhaps the goon loading the fixture did not blow out all the chips that fell off the last part before he clamped in the new part...

I would try wd40 or liquid wrench and see if they help float the aluminum off the outside of the anodizing.
I have real good luck with wd40 taking off the brass marks I leave on barrels from when I clamp them with brass tipped setscrews in my lathe fixtures.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

No! I cut my first two QD lowers today, came out great. They mated up to lowers at the shop & I mated them up to known good lowers when I cleaned them up.
Old 07-09-2013, 5:04 AM

watch out if you have it striped if they leave it in the striper to long it will make all the pin holes to big and make it look worst than it looks now . at my work we had some parts striped and recoated and we had to trash all of them. just duracoat it.
Old 07-09-2013, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
This is my guess too.
It's aluminum from the soft jaws, or perhaps the goon loading the fixture did not blow out all the chips that fell off the last part before he clamped in the new part...

I would try wd40 or liquid wrench and see if they help float the aluminum off the outside of the anodizing.
I have real good luck with wd40 taking off the brass marks I leave on barrels from when I clamp them with brass tipped setscrews in my lathe fixtures.
I actually tried wd40 early on with no luck. The pictures doesn't show it well but in the flesh, you can see this is actually a bunch of scratches in the anodizing.

The more and more comments I see about how others have had good results, the more and more disappointed I am with this machine shop. Seemed like such a good outfit... live and learn I suppose.

Old 07-09-2013, 8:51 AM

looks like the black dye was not sealed properly. For sure you are not wearing through the anodize. improperly sealed dye will wear off and can be affected by UV light (turns reddish/purple) at least that's what I see.
Old 07-10-2013, 3:34 PM

Dropped it off at Techplate yesterday so I'll see how it turns out in 10-12 days...

Old 07-13-2013, 7:37 AM
Banned

Bluing pen works great on Billet ive fixed worse with it.
Old 07-16-2013, 1:48 PM

I think technically bluing is a process that works only on carbon steel. If you have a pen that works on aluminum, I'd be curious the make/model.

Old 07-16-2013, 2:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate74 View Post
If you have a pen that works on aluminum, I'd be curious the make/model.
I don't think it comes in a pen form, but here it is in a bottle...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/23440

I have a bottle and it does not work very well in my experience.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 07-16-2013, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

It's going to get scratched anyhow.
Old 07-17-2013, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
It's going to get scratched anyhow.
See post #23...

Old 07-17-2013, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I don't think it comes in a pen form, but here it is in a bottle...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/23440

I have a bottle and it does not work very well in my experience.
That's good to know for the future. Thank you. I'll talk with one of the metallurgists at my company about what might turn aluminum black other than anodizing and various paints...