Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Deals, Sales and Coupons
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Deals, Sales and Coupons Found a good deal or sale? Got a coupon or code? Share them here!

Old 07-19-2013, 8:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ordered 7-9
Shipping notice 7-18
Reddaway called for Monday delivery 7-18
Old 07-19-2013, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBill View Post
Electrical:
Here is what I did. I went to The Home Depot and bought a power strip with a long cord. I got a Defiant 6 Outlet Metal Surge with 8 ft. Cord
and a replacement plug end similar to this one Pass & Seymour 15 Amp 125-Volt Yellow Grip Plug
  1. I cut the end off the new power strip
  2. drilled through the predrilled hole to get through the fireboard and carpet hole.
  3. feed the cord through the hole
  4. put the replacement end on the cord

I also added some heavy duty Velcro loops to the back of the power strip to mount it vertical.

Data

This works really well for me. However your mileage my vary.

I use ChashPlan for my important items like pics and docs, but I don't want to backup my camera DVR recordings to the cloud. I had a 2TB USB external drive laying around and wanted to put that in the safe to backup those files as well as an additional place for my docs and pics.

I found a wireless device that has a 4 port USB hub as well. This is connected to my PC and the drive looks like a local disk. I have a program that runs as a service and detects any changes to a directory and immediately copies the files to this USB drive. I have been running this setup for a few months now and it works great.

Now depending on where in the house your WiFi access point is will determine how well this works. The signal will drop down once the door is closed. This works well for me due to the relative distance my safe is to one of my access points.
Does this setup work when the door is closed?
Old 07-19-2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
Does this setup work when the door is closed?
Does for me or I wouldn't have gone through the effort one of my access points is about 15 feet from the safe.
Old 07-20-2013, 6:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Does for me or I wouldn't have gone through the effort one of my access points is about 15 feet from the safe.
Neat. Looks like a great setup.
Old 07-20-2013, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Another option is an Ethernet powerline adapter/network, although I've had mixed results with those when I start adding power strips (versus plugging directly into a wall outlet). Offering that up in case others want to duplicate your setup but don't have AP coverage to support it.

It is a nice setup indeed!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheng616 View Post
Was talking to one of the Rhino reps about the locks that come on the BigHorn safes from Costco. She confirmed it was a SecuRam branded electronic lock (1yr warranty) and that they no longer offer an option to swap in a mechanical dial lock. Anybody else get this same response about swapping out the lock?
Yes, I got the same response when I bought mine last December.

So I did it myself , not that difficult.

This is what I got.

http://www.bigredsafelocks.com/locks...2030-and-2040/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Safe-Locks-G...item415f6f39df

INSTALLS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THIS ONE.

Last edited by Term; 07-23-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason8055 View Post
Costco had a set of six led lights and thats what I installed in mine

What brand lights? Thats a great idea!!

Costco: Light Mates LED Puck Lights w/remote $29 6 pack w/batteries

I dont think I can give them the full recommendation now though.
They are already starting to dim after only a couple of weeks. Thats the
problem with these battery operated LED's. I have been in my safe everyday though.
Old 07-24-2013, 8:50 PM

Have you tried NiMH batteries?
Old 07-28-2013, 5:49 PM

Sweet! I will be getting this safe delivered this Friday. I live on the 6th floor of a condo building. I was planning on tipping the delivery person to roll it into my room. No stairs involved. He just rolls it into the elevator, then to my room. Will he do it if I tip him? And what's a fair amount?

Also, Im afraid the package wont fit through the doors since Im sure the safe will come in a big padded overbox. Should I unpack and assemble the safe in the lobby then bring just the safe on the dolly? I'm just trying to work out all the kinks, but it's a pretty simple operation. At the same time, I can't do it on my own. Should I just hire Boswell safe co. after Costco drops it off at the curb?
Old 07-28-2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Have you tried NiMH batteries?
Have not, but I will now. I really like the setup otherwise.
Old 07-28-2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokron View Post
Sweet! I will be getting this safe delivered this Friday. I live on the 6th floor of a condo building. I was planning on tipping the delivery person to roll it into my room. No stairs involved. He just rolls it into the elevator, then to my room. Will he do it if I tip him? And what's a fair amount?

Also, Im afraid the package wont fit through the doors since Im sure the safe will come in a big padded overbox. Should I unpack and assemble the safe in the lobby then bring just the safe on the dolly? I'm just trying to work out all the kinks, but it's a pretty simple operation. At the same time, I can't do it on my own. Should I just hire Boswell safe co. after Costco drops it off at the curb?
Minimal padding used. Box is 23" x 29". Only assembly is putting the handles on. Oh, and taking off the footings. Tip the guy enough for a six pack.

If he doesn't do it, you can move it by yourself as long as no lifting is involved and you have a dolly. But it's always nice to have a friend handy.

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IikKTLNs5XU
Old 07-28-2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:

There is just a cardboard box over. But it does have some steel feet that needs to come off.

In regards to Getting the driver taking that far would be a tough one. It all depends on if he is in a good mood or not. Have some cold water or Gatorade for him at the start and yeah tip him well. I tipped my guy $20 and he took it up my driveway into my garage. I would say maybe $40 tip could get the safe up there.

If not just have a uhaul fridge dolly waiting. It's not to bad to move.
Old 07-28-2013, 8:39 PM

I gave the driver cokes and is cold water and help guide into garage and let him know I really appreciate his help and professionalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2013, 9:00 PM

I was at work when the delivery occurred. I had told my wife to tip the driver extra to get it into the garage from the curb, but the extra tip wasn't necessary as he said "the furthest I can move it is the garage" upon introducing himself.

I guess it depends on the driver, but given that you want him to move it into an elevator then into your condo I'd either prep the delivery company for it or have Boswell do it. The driver will want to help, but he's not going to risk his job doing an unofficial move into a condo and wrecking a wood floor, etc.
Old 07-29-2013, 2:54 PM

What is the potential danger or drawback associated with the elctronic lock?
Old 07-29-2013, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKESQ View Post
That you teach your wife how to program it and she resets your code.
Old 07-29-2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driift View Post

If you Google "gun safe mechanical vs digital" and you'll find endless debate over which is best.
Old 07-29-2013, 4:36 PM
Kitchen Operator
CGN Contributor

Cue Homer Simpson voice:

"Mmmm, endless debate..."
Old 07-30-2013, 9:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKESQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driift View Post
Who gives the wife combo to the safe???

Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting

Quote:
We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
Quote:
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz
Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That's Funny
Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM

ordered mine on 07/11/13, got a call yesterday 07/29/13, scheduled to deliver tomorrow 07/31/13.

Hoping he'll take tip to help me move it in the house.
Old 07-30-2013, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddogg View Post
ordered mine on 07/11/13, got a call yesterday 07/29/13, scheduled to deliver tomorrow 07/31/13.

Hoping he'll take tip to help me move it in the house.
In garage, probably. In house, not sure. PVC pipes let your move it pretty easy.
Old 07-30-2013, 5:29 PM

I just got off the phone with the manager of Costco's delivery vendor, Joe, who was very nice and helpful. He said he would love to help bring it in, but cant due to liability reasons. He's been sued too many times so I understand. The wheels of his equipment can damage hardwood flooring. They will move it into your garage if it's reasonable. After that, you're on your own. The more I think about it, the more I want hire a professional safe moving company to get it into my room without damaging my wood floors, so I called around to get quotes. When doing so, you have to be very specific when describing the scope of work, which is the following for me:

1. (Remember the safe is already in the garage) Remove steel legs/beams from bottom of safe. It comes with steel legs bolted on, not on a wooden pallet.

2. Roll safe into elevator, less than 20 ft.

3. Roll safe into my room, another 25 ft. Level the safe, get it working, yada yada... the common sense stuff.

No incline, no stairs involved. Does this sound like a hard job? it's only a 400 lb safe. I'm not in the safe moving business, but I'll tell you this: it doesn't get any easier or more straightforward than this. I can't imagine it will take more than 20 minutes for 2 guys to do this. Boswell quoted me $375 (which includes bolt down service that I don't need) and Dean Safe was too busy. One vendor said my Rhino wasn't even a real safe. I was pretty shocked with Boswells price, so I googled "safe movers los angeles" and a whole bunch of vendors came up. I went through the list and only 2 were courteous and wanted the work:

1. GP Freight (they move safes for Turners)

2. Heavyweight Save & Vault in the OC.

They both quoted me $150 which I thought was fair for the minimal amount of work compared to the crazy custom safe moving jobs these companies really specialize in. GP was booked out 2-3 weeks, so I went with Heavyweight. I recommend these two companies as they understand that the safe will already be onsite and all you want from them is to professionally move and install the safe. My other option was to buy a furniture dolly for $20, then pay pay 2 random day laborers $30 each to help bring it in, but so many things can go wrong. I'd rather just pay more to make sure this gets done right. If my floors get scratched the wifey wont be too happy. Hope this helps.

Last edited by yokron; 07-30-2013 at 5:50 PM..
Old 07-30-2013, 7:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I just got off the phone with the manager of Costco's delivery vendor, Joe, who was very nice and helpful. He said he would love to help bring it in, but cant due to liability reasons. He's been sued too many times so I understand. The wheels of his equipment can damage hardwood flooring. They will move it into your garage if it's reasonable. After that, you're on your own. The more I think about it, the more I want hire a professional safe moving company to get it into my room without damaging my wood floors, so I called around to get quotes. When doing so, you have to be very specific when describing the scope of work, which is the following for me:

1. (Remember the safe is already in the garage) Remove steel legs/beams from bottom of safe. It comes with steel legs bolted on, not on a wooden pallet.

2. Roll safe into elevator, less than 20 ft.

3. Roll safe into my room, another 25 ft. Level the safe, get it working, yada yada... the common sense stuff.

No incline, no stairs involved. Does this sound like a hard job? it's only a 400 lb safe. I'm not in the safe moving business, but I'll tell you this: it doesn't get any easier or more straightforward than this. I can't imagine it will take more than 20 minutes for 2 guys to do this. Boswell quoted me $375 (which includes bolt down service that I don't need) and Dean Safe was too busy. One vendor said my Rhino wasn't even a real safe. I was pretty shocked with Boswells price, so I googled "safe movers los angeles" and a whole bunch of vendors came up. I went through the list and only 2 were courteous and wanted the work:

1. GP Freight (they move safes for Turners)

2. Heavyweight Save & Vault in the OC.

They both quoted me $150 which I thought was fair for the minimal amount of work compared to the crazy custom safe moving jobs these companies really specialize in. GP was booked out 2-3 weeks, so I went with Heavyweight. I recommend these two companies as they understand that the safe will already be onsite and all you want from them is to professionally move and install the safe. My other option was to buy a furniture dolly for $20, then pay pay 2 random day laborers $30 each to help bring it in, but so many things can go wrong. I'd rather just pay more to make sure this gets done right. If my floors get scratched the wifey wont be too happy. Hope this helps.
The safe is not that heavy. One person can probably do it with a fridge dolly and a few PVC pipes. Get a buddy and it should be no big deal.
Old 07-30-2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
The safe is not that heavy. One person can probably do it with a fridge dolly and a few PVC pipes. Get a buddy and it should be no big deal.
Also , with the door open at 90 degrees it will lift off the hinges, removing 100 lbs. that will make it a lot more manageable.
Old 07-31-2013, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Grab a buddy and buy him lunch or bribe with beer. Remove the door. Rent and appliance dolly from UHAUL and a few moving blankets. If you are worried about your floors you can buy 4x8 sheets of 1/8" "Tempered Hardboard" for $8 at The Home Depot to roll the safe over. UHAUL might even have those to rent as well.
Old 07-31-2013, 8:33 AM

Yall are right, i need to stop being a pansy. I called a friend who runs a warehouse and has the equipment to help me.
Old 07-31-2013, 8:35 AM

Another question: is it hard to remove the steel legs from the bottom? Whats the right way to do it?
Old 07-31-2013, 8:42 AM
https://goo.gl/JYVbtA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Another question: is it hard to remove the steel legs from the bottom? Whats the right way to do it?
Get 3 cases of canned beer.

Drink them all with 1 buddy.

Line the empties up under the safe, be sure to distribute them evenly, leaving room for your arms.

Lay next to the safe and extend your arm under it.

Unscrew all the bolts and push the safe off the braces.

Slide your arm out since the cans will be supporting the safe.

Slide a dolly under the safe and move it to it's future location !
Old 07-31-2013, 8:45 AM

I used to be a mover. For the price of a six pack I would have done exactly zero for you. I worked with a bunch of ex cons and junkies. Best to take care of people like that, as they know you have a safe full of guns and have the knowledge and ability to move it....
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 PM

remove the left side support leg first then the right, to prevent any door swinging issues. I did it myself, totally a walk in the park, three 3/4" PVC pipes some plywood, rolled over the garage entry door lift and over the lip on our side house entry door with plywood. Moved it about 50 feet, no problem. I actually enjoyed it as bizarre as that sounds .........
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM

...and when you pull the door off, watch for the two small ball bearings which will probably come out and hit the ground. The hinge pins are coated with grease so they'll lift out when you lift the door up, and similarly those ball bearings will stick to the bottom of the hinge pins.

When you put the door back on, drop a bearing into each hinge, then the hinge pin, and reinstall the door.
Old 07-31-2013, 1:13 PM

Go to your local college weight room and offer $20 to a few bros to help you move the safe. Just a thought
Old 07-31-2013, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term View Post
Also , with the door open at 90 degrees it will lift off the hinges, removing 100 lbs. that will make it a lot more manageable.
I tried that, couldn't get it off the hinges, anyone able to show pics or vid of how to do it? I had the door opened 90 degrees, so it's perpendicular at a right angle from the safe correct? I tried lifting it, wouldn't budge, anything particular I have to do?
Old 07-31-2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueMan View Post
...and when you pull the door off, watch for the two small ball bearings which will probably come out and hit the ground. The hinge pins are coated with grease so they'll lift out when you lift the door up, and similarly those ball bearings will stick to the bottom of the hinge pins.

When you put the door back on, drop a bearing into each hinge, then the hinge pin, and reinstall the door.
so you don't have to do anything but lift the door up at 90 degrees? Do you have to pop the pins out first?
Old 07-31-2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I tried that, couldn't get it off the hinges, anyone able to show pics or vid of how to do it? I had the door opened 90 degrees, so it's perpendicular at a right angle from the safe correct? I tried lifting it, wouldn't budge, anything particular I have to do?
Quote:
so you don't have to do anything but lift the door up at 90 degrees? Do you have to pop the pins out first?

I did it. I put my harbor freight low profile floor jack under the door and lifted it off the hinges. Its that simple.
Old 07-31-2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:
lifting the door by yourself? using a floor jack will make your life easier........... without even breaking a sweat
Old 08-01-2013, 7:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantstudien View Post
Go to your local college weight room and offer $20 to a few bros to help you move the safe. Just a thought
I bet you a case of beer that you can't . . .
Old 08-01-2013, 7:50 AM

Just a tip to those who are trying to move the safe themselves. Instead of using PVC pipe, use golf balls. You can move it in any direction you want, easily making any corners without having to jimmy the thing around a lot. If you have carpet, just lay some 1/4" plywood down and move it over those.
Old 08-01-2013, 9:57 AM

Update: had 2 of my neighbors come help me move it up stairs. With their help we were able to lift the door off @ 90 degrees, and yes it came straight off, nothing else needed to be done. Thx all.

I rented an appliance dolly from Home Depot and it helped us get it upstairs. Probably would have been a lot more difficult without one.