Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-15-2007, 9:03 AM

Default 10 round .458 socom mags

Hey fellas. I read an article the other day about a .458 SOCOM that RRA is putting out. It seems that a STANDARD, UNALTERED 30 rd. AR mag is a 10 rd. mag for the .458 SOCOM.

So I would like to buy a whole bunch of 10 rd mags for a .458 SOCOM. Where is the cheapest place to buy these?

Last edited by Higbean; 12-15-2007 at 9:08 AM..
Old 12-15-2007, 10:36 AM

Let me know how you like prison?
From what Ive seen it sucks
My solar tac grip wrap just slides off if I pull on it... I can tighten it down as much as I can and it will still slide off. I got it for a regular AK PG and it's on a standard romanian bakelite I think PG... What should I do? I kept the mag lock installed just in case this would happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
What is a FEDUPWBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezil_boi View Post
( Yes, FEDUP... you were right ).Just 1.5 cents
Old 12-15-2007, 10:37 AM
In Memoriam

if you use those mags you better have a .458 socom. otherwise you are just lookin for trouble.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:10 AM
No, I am not a Moderator!

All,

This is not such a crazy thought at all. I'm doing some research on this already and will post more soon.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

I've been following the threads about this as well. I look forward to what you have to say on it Gene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25
I would love to have a hole cut in the ceiling so I could pop out and BAM! Hit 'em with my spice weasel...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileron
The hassle would be between this. (_._) and this (_0_).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
When Im wearing a miniskirt than yeah sure I use my foot to flush the urinals all the time!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
All,

This is not such a crazy thought at all. I'm doing some research on this already and will post more soon.

-Gene
Two weeks, huh?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDUPWBS View Post
Let me know how you like prison?
From what Ive seen it sucks
Ha! You sound like the local gun shop telling me how I will be doing time for transfering OLL's!

And as far as looking for trouble, you are wrong. I am only looking at a loophole that would allow us to be just like all of the other free states. Seems to me this site was built on something similar.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higbean View Post
Ha! You sound like the local gun shop telling me how I will be doing time for transfering OLL's!

And as far as looking for trouble, you are wrong. I am only looking at a loophole that would allow us to be just like all of the other free states. Seems to me this site was built on something similar.
Was a joke. But if you brake the law it will catch up to you! Hi-Cap ban is enforceable (not constitutional though). This site runs on being within the law 100% of the time, if thats the kind of thinking you are referring too
My solar tac grip wrap just slides off if I pull on it... I can tighten it down as much as I can and it will still slide off. I got it for a regular AK PG and it's on a standard romanian bakelite I think PG... What should I do? I kept the mag lock installed just in case this would happen...

Quote:
What is a FEDUPWBS?

Quote:

Last edited by FEDUPWBS; 12-15-2007 at 11:56 AM..
Old 12-15-2007, 11:34 AM

Oh man, I love all the tasty goodness on this site! How could the .gov ever keep up with all of these brilliant ideas?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDUPWBS View Post
Was a joke. But if you brake the law it will catch up to you! Hi-Cap ban is enforceable (not constitutional though). This site runs on being within the law 100% of the time, if thats the kind of thinking you are referring too
Fedup.

Show me where in the penal code it is illegal to import a 10 round capacity magazine?

Think about this. Every Sig 226/228/229 .40SW 10 round magazine holds more than 10 rounds of 9mm and operates in the 9mm/.40SW convertible guns.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-15-2007, 1:11 PM
Calguns Addict

What about buying a parts kit and etching or engraving ".458 SOCOM ONLY" on it? I understand that this isnt full-proof but would that give you less of a chance of a DA prosecuting?
209 833-9100
For sales Questions please email Sales@tracyrifleandpistol.com
Old 12-15-2007, 1:24 PM

OOL

Last edited by Higbean; 12-17-2007 at 7:29 AM..
Old 12-15-2007, 1:29 PM

while legal it is dangerous to be in early on. ask BWO all about that kind of thing...

you may beat the case but you won't beat the ride. can you lose $20k with no worry?
Old 12-15-2007, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Fedup.

Show me where in the penal code it is illegal to import a 10 round capacity magazine?

Think about this. Every Sig 226/228/229 .40SW 10 round magazine holds more than 10 rounds of 9mm and operates in the 9mm/.40SW convertible guns.

-Gene
This is my thoughts exactly. I am not talking about breaking the law. I am talking about getting completely legal 10 round magazines for a firearm that is completely legal to own. If I own an XD-9 and have a bunch of unaltered XD-40 mags how on Gods green earth am I breaking the law?

The importation of .458 SOCOM mags is no different.
Old 12-15-2007, 2:01 PM

Yes you are talking about breaking the laws. Read your first post, your intention is to buy the mags and use them as high caps. Even if you have the magazines for another gun you still can not put more than 10 rds in it.
Old 12-15-2007, 2:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2jap View Post
Yes you are talking about breaking the laws. Read your first post, your intention is to buy the mags and use them as high caps. Even if you have the magazines for another gun you still can not put more than 10 rds in it.
How is that the intention???

10 rounds of .458 socom fit in a 30 round AR magazine. If you use said magazine ONLY for .458 how is that using them as high caps?
209 833-9100
For sales Questions please email Sales@tracyrifleandpistol.com
Old 12-15-2007, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Reading comprehension is a skill not taught enough in our schools these days. Maybe if you actually read the post and understood you would know how ignorant you seem to be to other people. There is no ill-intent of any sort, hes simply looking to buy a 10 round .458 SOCOM magazines that also just happens to be a normal AR-15 magazine. As stated previously, Sigs .40S&W 10 rounder will hold more than 10 rounds of 9mm and function. Does that make all the people buying .40 S&W 10 rounder criminals because they could be used in 9mm pistols with more capacity?

By your logic we should all be put in jail because cars can be used to run people over and kill them.
Old 12-15-2007, 2:16 PM

Quote:
There is no support for this statement in the Penal Code. The Penal Code says:

Quote:
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.
If the magazine is really intended for use as a .458 SOCOM magazine, its packaging says .458 SOCOM on it, the magazine is marked as a .458 SOCOM magazine, and the receipt says 7 or 10 round .458 SOCOM magazine, a DA is going to have a hard time proving you aren't buying a non large-capacity magazine. This is especially true if you have a .458 SOCOM upper in your collection.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 12-15-2007, 8:13 PM

Thanks for having my back fellas.

OK here is the real deal as I see it.

If .458 SOCOM mags were legal in CA (which they are) and I was to buy a bunch of them, the only time they would be illegal is at the exact moment I put a .223 or 5.56 round into one of them.

I am really surprised by some of the "ant burning" going on here. I never said I was looking to make high cap AR mags out of perfectly legal mags. If that is what you got out of my post then maybe you should re-read it.

It is absolutely hilarious to me, that what is considered hi-cap in one instance is perfectly legal in a split second. It just shows how stupid these laws are. Honestly, if a criminal wanted to get a high cap magazine, how hard would it be?

Now, I see Corbon is making ammo, and RRA obviously has the uppers on the way. Where do I get some mags for my future build?
Old 12-15-2007, 8:23 PM

Quote:
If .458 SOCOM mags were legal in CA (which they are) and I was to buy a bunch of them, the only time they would be illegal is at the exact moment I put a .223 or 5.56 round into one of them.
I don't think this is at all clear. You haven't manufactured a 30 rounder just by putting rounds in it, otherwise why wouldn't it be legal to obtain 30 rounders but not load them?

It can't be a matter of only being illegal when you insert the 11th round, or you could legally obtain normal 30 rounders and only load ten rounds now.

It can't be illegal to load smaller rounds than intended, or else loading .17s into a standard 10 round .223 mag would be illegal.

If it is legal to load ammo that won't work (.17 in a .223 mag), then it should be legal to load .223 into a .458 if you don't have a .223 rifle, and that sounds patently absurd.

It can't be illegal to buy mags for a gun you don't own; I could do that nowadays.

Constructive possession doesn't apply to mags. Now if I were to put a 30 round mag in a fixed mag weapon, that would be an assdault weapon, but constructive possession doesn't apply there either.

In short, I don't see how it could be illegal under any circumstance. I could see that if the cops had other reasons to harass you, they might tack on that charge, just as they charged Matt Corwin with having SAP gloves, when they were really just exercise gloves. But I don't see how the charges could stick.
Old 12-15-2007, 8:30 PM

Agreed. I'm telling ya, this whole thing is absurd. It's quickly becoming a matter for.....(dun dun dun) THE THOUGHT POLICE.

Last edited by Higbean; 12-15-2007 at 8:54 PM..
Old 12-15-2007, 8:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
There is no support for this statement in the Penal Code. The Penal Code says:

If the magazine is really intended for use as a .458 SOCOM magazine, its packaging says .458 SOCOM on it, the magazine is marked as a .458 SOCOM magazine, and the receipt says 7 or 10 round .458 SOCOM magazine, a DA is going to have a hard time proving you aren't buying a non large-capacity magazine. This is especially true if you have a .458 SOCOM upper in your collection.

-Gene
I mentioned this in another post, but would having ONLY a 458 SOCOM upper with these magazines and having the magazines marked as "458 SOCOM" be a defense?

How far can one go and still maintain a viable defense? I just saw a 458 SOCOM at the SJGE (they're putting out guns tomorrow) with a fixed magazine. The magazine was a standard 10 round 223, it holds only 3 458 SOCOM rounds. So, can a "10 round (30 rds 223) 458 SOCOM magazine" be fixed to an OLL without being an AW by configuration? As soon as you buy a 223 upper are you in violation? Since constructive possession does not apply it seems to me that if I have these items, so long as I don't put my 223 upper on my 458 SOCOM lower with the mag installed - am I OK?

This is more than a "what if" for me since I'd like to get a 223 and a 458, operate off the same lower.
Old 12-16-2007, 1:28 AM

Even if you didn't intend for your post to sound incriminating, it does. I read the first post and it just sounds like you want to by hi-caps and "say" you are using them for a 458.
Old 12-16-2007, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunriseF150 View Post
Even if you didn't intend for your post to sound incriminating, it does. I read the first post and it just sounds like you want to by hi-caps and "say" you are using them for a 458.
I agree that is what it sounds like, but it is still an interesting question of whether it would actually violate the law to load 30 rounds of 223 in a 10 round magazine. I think I remember seeing some DOJ letters about loading over 10 rounds of 9mm in a 40 mag, but does using a legal magazine for a different caliber constitute manufacturing? That seems unlikely.

And frankly a fixed mag rifle that ony holds 3 rounds seems kind of lame. I think they may be overly cautious.

Last edited by adamsreeftank; 12-16-2007 at 3:14 AM..
Old 12-16-2007, 5:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I think intent - if it can be demonstrated - is most important here. If you own a 458 SOCOM and your magazine is marked 458 SOCOM I think you're fine, regardless of what else is owned.

However, if your mags are marked 5.56, you own a 458 and a 223 there may be the opportunity for a problem.
Old 12-16-2007, 7:14 AM

Read into it what you will, but, what I said was "I want to buy a bunch of magazines for a .458 SOCOM."

Is there something wrong with buying a perfectly legal magazine for a perfectly legal gun? Or is it because I described what they are in the same post?

Would this make you FEEL better...

"Hi there fellas, I am going to be purchasing a RRA .458 SOCOM in the near future and would like to buy several 10 rd. magazines to attach with a Bullet Button so I can be legal. Anyone know where I might find them cheap?"
Old 12-16-2007, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

i think if the mags and followers were marked .458 socom, there is no way to get into trouble. not even the best DA at the peak of his/her career could make those charges stick. just my 2c

"The only thing we learn from history, I am afraid, is that we do not learn from history."

'Ron Paul'
Old 12-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandmtv View Post
i think if the mags and followers were marked .458 socom, there is no way to get into trouble. not even the best DA at the peak of his/her career could make those charges stick. just my 2c
problem is they don't need the charges to stick to screw up your life.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

true, but i dont think it would get far enough to screw up your life if the mag and followers were marked .458 and you showed the cop that was arresting you that it only took 10 .458 rounds, no leo is dumb enough to take you in. then again.... lol

"The only thing we learn from history, I am afraid, is that we do not learn from history."

'Ron Paul'
Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

I have been considering a .458 SOCOM upper for about a year for this very reason. I'm just waiting for someone to do the 'research.'

Quote:
All,

-Gene
Old 12-16-2007, 3:59 PM

Placing 9mm rounds in a .40SW magazine is not manufacturing a large-capacity magazine. Buying a .40SW 10 round magazine for a Sig when you only own 9mm Sigs is not importing a large-capacity magazine.

There is no real difference with .458 SOCOM as long as the magazine is marked .458 SOCOM.

I personally would love to buy some new 7 round .458 SOCOM magazines.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 12-16-2007, 5:59 PM

So who is making mags labeled .458 SOCOM?
Old 12-16-2007, 7:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So who is making mags labeled .458 SOCOM?
Stay tuned.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 12-16-2007, 7:44 PM

It would be pretty easy to simply get a batch of floor plates with the proper labeling...

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 12-16-2007, 7:54 PM

I have a Dymo....
Old 12-16-2007, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It would be pretty easy to simply get a batch of floor plates with the proper labeling...

-Gene
So if someone were to offer on line 458 SOCOM 10 round magazines (we know they're 458 SOCOM mags because that's what it says on the floorplate) that's perfectly legal, seems to me. And I ought to be able to place an order for them.

I notice Alexander Arms offers (on Midway) a 458 upper with a "7 round" magazine.

Interesting.

Last edited by dfletcher; 12-16-2007 at 8:22 PM..
Old 12-16-2007, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

as long as the mag components say .458 socom and none of the mag components say 5.56/.223 i dont see why it would be illegal!

'Ron Paul'
Old 12-17-2007, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Quit editing your posts to read something entirely different. That's chicken**** and you know it. Your earlier post stated something more like this...

"Was a joke. The hi-cap mag laws are un-enforceable. And yes this site is all about that kind of thinking."
Been at work, not hiding! I was asked to revise that post for CYA I fully believe all that I posted just didnt want it to sound like I was encouraging you to brake the law, as thats what your first post apeared to ask. Understand my position please. Although legal, proving it gets expensive (freedom tax). Love the term "burning ants". You are on the right track with this, it makes total sense. Just watch your wording cause it gets twisted by those that are willing to abuse authority under the color of law.

Quote:
What is a FEDUPWBS?

Quote:
Old 12-23-2007, 8:42 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Stay tuned.
Bat time; and Bat channel tuned appropriately.

-M3
Old 12-23-2007, 9:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Stay tuned.
Randall, we're tuned.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF