Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Default M1A Rail Options

I'm planning on adding a scope(Trijicon Tr22) to my M1A but don't really like the Sadlak mount. I would prefer an extended rail that is more integrated with the stock like the Troy M1A chassis. The only problem is the stupid pistol grip would require a bullet button which I really don't want to do.

Currently I'm thinking of going with the JAE stock and adding the VLTOR CASV-14 extended rail

Is it really worth it? Would i be just as happy with just going with the Sadlak mount? The M1A isn't going to get any lighter with the JAE Stock right?

Maybe I should just go with the Sadlak mount and then get spring guide and piston and stop there. If I want that other type of platform I should just build an AR-10. What do you folks think?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM

This mount is more traditional http://www.gruningprecision.com/m1a%20scope%20base.html

I think it eliminates the iron sights, could be wrong. His parts are very nicely made.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstars View Post
I'm planning on adding a scope(Trijicon Tr22) to my M1A ... What do you folks think?
Would this work?

http://store.greygrouptraining.com/M...NDED-RAIL.html

It attaches to the barrel and the stripper clip guide.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The best thing to do is just get a mount like a basset, sadlak or ARMS and then a cheekpad. Only reason for a full-length rail is if you want a night vision device in front of the scope.

Personally I'd go for a different scope as well. The big objective will mean that you'll need really high rings to still use your irons if you get a mount that doesn't block them. Plus the trijicon doesn't have target turrets in mil clicks which is another minus for me.

If you haven't bought it yet the new 2.5-10x32 vortex PST is a great little scope and has a lot more features, lighter weight and small objective so easy mounting.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

The new 2.5-10x32 Vortex PST on a Smith Enterprise scope mount (2006) would be a sweet combo, but as Hoop said, you will need a cheek riser... that's not a bad thing.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 AM

tagged, cuz i just picked up my M1A Scout
Old 07-02-2013, 3:55 PM

Yeah, I already own the TR-22 i got it for 200+ under retail so I'm not really sure what to do with it. The objective is HUGE and I agree that it doesnt have the features the vortex has.

I really like both the mounts you guys posted. I've also heard so much good stuff about vortex optics i think my money would be better spent on glass than a fancy stock. The Tr22 is being sent to trijicon to switch the reticle to mil-dot, so I'll just find some other use for it.
Old 07-02-2013, 3:56 PM

I have an M1A loaded, in a JAE Gen 2 stock. Sadlak Airborne mount (steel) with a USO scope on there.

It's a beautiful setup, but let me tell you, it is HEAVY. I think it's about 13 lbs unloaded. The VLTOR would only add to the weight.

You have to decide whether your M1A is going to be something that you want to lug around alot, or not. It's an expensive route to take, provided you can even score one (last I read, a few months ago, people were still waiting for the Gen 3s they announced last year). The Gen 3 is supposed to be lighter, but I don't know by how much. That being said, it's a super accurate platform, and you don't need to ever worry about glass bedding or anything, given the way the receiver locks to the stock.
Old 07-02-2013, 4:38 PM

I guess I could always just switch to JAE later on, it's just a lot of money as you mentioned but I love my M1A the most of all my guns so its worth it.

How sturdy is the Sadlak mount? Does it ever cause ejection issues?
Old 07-02-2013, 5:35 PM

OP. What are you going to use this for mainly? Bench type target shooting or more run and gun shooting. I have a SA Squad Scout that I used the Troy M14 battlerail and a low mounted Aim Point. I used a Blackhawk cheek riser and a rolled towel to get the proper cheek height. It was pretty fun. I can email you pictures if you would like. Also, I think that you can order the Socom 2 extended rail. You could keep your iron sights and get the rail space that you want.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=31
Old 07-02-2013, 5:38 PM

I also think that H2O MAN's rail is pretty sweet. That is probably a better option than my idea. Regardless of which rail you use, I think that you will need a cheek riser of some sort.
Old 07-02-2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
I'm planning on adding a scope(Trijicon Tr22) to my M1A but don't really like the Sadlak mount. I would prefer an extended rail that is more integrated with the stock like the Troy M1A chassis. The only problem is the stupid pistol grip would require a bullet button which I really don't want to do.

Currently I'm thinking of going with the JAE stock and adding the VLTOR CASV-14 extended rail

Is it really worth it? Would i be just as happy with just going with the Sadlak mount? The M1A isn't going to get any lighter with the JAE Stock right?

Maybe I should just go with the Sadlak mount and then get spring guide and piston and stop there. If I want that other type of platform I should just build an AR-10. What do you folks think?
Going with a Sadlak (or SEI, ARMS, Bassett, etc.) mount is going to be the simplest, lightest and most economical route.
Old 07-02-2013, 7:18 PM

What do you guys think of this? http://ultimak.com/BuyM14.htm
I have one for my Mini 14 and love it.
I'm thinking about getting this for the M1A I just bought.

NRA Member
Old 07-02-2013, 7:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
How sturdy is the Sadlak mount? Does it ever cause ejection issues?
Sturdy.

All of the mounts are problematic in some way or another.

The ARMS and SADLAKS can cause jams, ARMS split rail shouldn't jam but they are hard to find.

The Smith is expensive (and can cause jams)

Those CASM? mounts that replace the rear sight can often flex which is no-bueno (means your scope will bend when you torque the rings down).

The basset won't jam but sometimes they will loosen up over time. It's no big deal to tighten it back down but occasionally you'll read about people getting mad as hell and red loctiting it.

Personally I have a mount that is a TSA mount, no longer made, sort of like a combination of Sadlak and ARMS split rail. If I didn't have it I'd get a BASSET no question about it.

edit: just keep in mind that Basset is sort of a one-man show, IE the old geezer Basset makes them and his wife works the phone. So you may not get email responses and your order may not ship lightning fast. But it is a good product.
Old 07-02-2013, 7:55 PM

Default JAE

My Sadlak is solid. It's got a three point contact with the receiver, which is one of the most solid mounts you can have (others being one and two point) - the side attachment, stripper clip point, and another contact towards the front. Not that I'm any expert - if you go over to M14 The Firing Line, they have all sorts of threads and experts there. Sadlak is well recommended over there. I've personally never had any ejection issues with mine, but it's a bench gun.

The Airborne has a channel down the middle so you can still use your irons. I ended up going with really low profile rings, so I actually can't use them anymore, unless I take off my scope. Which I probably won't ever do.

So I attached a pic of my build, it's a little small, and I don't have an online account to link a full size pic, so it'll have to do.

It's really accurate - I'm not sure how much because of the rifle, or the JAE - it shot great before I changed it. Still need to zero my optic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1A_JAE.jpg (36.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-02-2013, 8:25 PM

I struggled with this a while back and settled on an ACOG on the GDI mount for my scout. It required a cheek riser, but after I got it dialed in I LOVE it:

Old 07-02-2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPatriot View Post

I think it is pretty nice, but I dont know much.

I might just have to get one and find out for myself.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 07-02-2013, 9:13 PM

Op: Congrats on your new acquisition ! She's beautiful, yeah ?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM

These guns are so fun to just run irons on, but to each their own.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:

They work great with red-dots. I have an Aimpoint Comp on my Scout Squad that is 100% co-witnessed. They don't work well with many magnified optics except for a very few "scout scopes" and heavy caliber pistol scopes. Most magnified optics don't have sufficient eye relief for mounting that far forward.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 AM

Default M1a irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanuf View Post
No question! Irons on the m1a really are awesome!
Old 07-03-2013, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanuf View Post
My eyes are getting old, I need a scope unfortunately.

NRA Member
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
My eyes are getting old, I need a scope unfortunately.
Frustrating isn't it !
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM

So many choices... head going to explode.

Seriously though, I don't have real idea of how I planned on using the rifle except being able to take it out to 800yards on BLM land in spring when Panoche opens back up.

Although I would like to take some shooting classes and since they will likely be in California... using an AR with bullet button would seem some what counter productive. I'll stop there before i go too far off topic.

The M1A is an amazing gun just with irons no doubt. I think part of the reason I wanted an extended rail was to replace the current plastic barrel cover which i never really liked. The Tr22 as an eye relief of 4.1 to 2.8 but i plan on switching to a smaller scope like the vortex H2O Man mentioned.(Who is the king of the M14\M1A IMHO)

So I think the following should provide enough improvement for now:

-Troy Battle Rail (So i can use BUIS and only $279)
-Sadlak Spring Guide
-Sadlak NM Piston (TIN)
-Bradley Cheek Rest
-Harris Bipod

bueno? No bueno?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDM View Post
I struggled with this a while back and settled on an ACOG on the GDI mount for my scout. It required a cheek riser, but after I got it dialed in I LOVE it:

Sweet looking setup...simple and clean. Which model ACOG is that? and Reticle?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM

The Troy Battlerail is pretty sick but you lose your iron sights. Not that you or I would use them a lot but it is nice to have the option and not have to worry about bolting something onto the rifle. The Vltor rifle is a better way to go. Keep your irons and give yourself a nice rail to mount from. The Vltor rail is also at least a quarter inch lower than the Troy rail. Better IMHO.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 PM

I just put my rifle in a Sage stock. I'm waiting for my scope to come in.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:20 PM

Thanks, Its a TA11E with red chevron

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Banned

Exclamation On the other hand

Quote:
So many choices... head going to explode.

Seriously though, I don't have real idea of how I planned on using the rifle except being able to take it out to 800yards on BLM land in spring when Panoche opens back up.

The M1A is an amazing gun just with irons no doubt. I think part of the reason I wanted an extended rail was to replace the current plastic barrel cover which i never really liked. The Tr22 as an eye relief of 4.1 to 2.8 but i plan on switching to a smaller scope like the vortex H2O Man mentioned.(Who is the king of the M14\M1A IMHO)

So I think the following should provide enough improvement for now:

-Troy Battle Rail (So i can use BUIS and only $279)
-Sadlak Spring Guide
-Sadlak NM Piston (TIN)
-Bradley Cheek Rest
-Harris Bipod

bueno? No bueno?
OK, you are willing to remove your rear sight... instead of the Troy battle rail, consider the M14-CASM from M14.ca
Lower cost, less weight and it has a fixed rear peep hole that allows you to use your front sight (after lowering/removing the cheek rest).
I have this mount, it's rock solid and there is no need to invest in flip-up BUIS.

BTW, Hoop mentioned the Vortex 1st, I agreed with his recommendation.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 07-03-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 1:47 PM

Well.. I would prefer to keep my iron sights, even though they wouldn't be all cool and new like some flip up ones.

Shovel mentioned that i can use the VLTOR with my current irons, which was hard to confirm from the pics of it. So maybe i'll go with that and a mod pod.

I guess there is only one way to find out if I'm making the right choice and that's just go for it.

Last edited by redstars; 07-03-2013 at 2:02 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 2:02 PM

The Vltor stops at the stripper clip. I just checked the website.
Old 07-03-2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
OK, you are willing to remove your rear sight... instead of the Troy battle rail, consider the M14-CASM from M14.ca
Lower cost, less weight and it has a fixed rear peep hole that allows you to use your front sight (after lowering/removing the cheek rest).
I have this mount, it's rock solid and there is no need to invest in flip-up BUIS.

BTW, Hoop mentioned the Vortex 1st, I agreed with his recommendation.
I like this m14-CASM

NRA Member
Old 07-03-2013, 2:37 PM

I should just buy 3 or 4 more and just build one in each configuration.
Old 07-03-2013, 3:49 PM

You want this Troy Systems M14 Battle Rail. Hella sturdy.

LWRC M6IC-SPR
Sako 85 Grey Wolf -7MM Rem Mag
Remy 700 VSF 308
Mini-14 581 Stainless
Benelli Ultralight 12 Gauge -Walnut
Benelli M2 12 Gauge - Waterfowl
Benelli M2 20 Gauge - Waterfowl
Old 07-03-2013, 5:21 PM

I just read the VLTOR CASV-14 won't fit the medium or heavy NM barrels. I have the Loaded M1A so I'm wondering if it will fit.
Old 07-03-2013, 6:02 PM

Have the troy on standard M1A , built like a tank. On top of it is a Pride Fowler rapid reticule like the one in my sig. Have the Sage stripper clip rail on Socom 16 with Burris FFII
Old 07-03-2013, 6:20 PM

Default no VLTOR

Quote:
I just read the VLTOR CASV-14 won't fit the medium or heavy NM barrels. I have the Loaded M1A so I'm wondering if it will fit.
If that's the case, the VLTOR is a no go for you - just confirmed on the SA site, the Loaded is a NM medium barrel.
Old 07-03-2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:
I like this m14-CASM
Same here, and the price is great too. Interesting..
Old 07-03-2013, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

CASM mount ain't worth it.

I'm telling you guys basset picatinny low or sadlak steel...
Old 07-03-2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDM View Post
Thanks, Its a TA11E with red chevron

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Forgot to ask, what kinda cheek riser is that? had to drill the stock yourself?

also, the mount..did you have to take out the clip attachment (interface)?

looks like you can still use irons with that mount?