Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 06-28-2013, 8:57 PM

Default Reg owner died

Family selling their kids guns, they want nothing to do with the process. Can I bring the pistol to the ffl for the sale?
Old 06-29-2013, 8:01 AM

Are all the family members on board with the sale? If you have even one family member who objects or wants one or more of the guns, it could get ugly/complicated. Did the son have any type of will? They are part of his estate and need to be disposed correctly. Short answer: I think if family is on board, you could sell the guns to/consign to an FFL. If son had creditors he owed money to, they would be able to file a claim. Hard to give good answer without knowing more info.
Old 06-29-2013, 9:12 AM
short bus driver

The executor of the deceased's estate can legally transfer the deceased's firearms.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 PM

They are onboard with this, "get rid of them". There was no will, ive met with the family and father who is handling the assets. He was murdered. No creditors I'm aware of. I have been consulting with dealers and Internet to find sale prices for them. unfortunately they were all in a very humid storage location and have rust issues. It's been hard finding apples to compare with apples. The long guns I'm comfortable with acting as agent of the family. The pistol I was a little more concerned with because that would have been registered to him.
Old 06-29-2013, 2:33 PM

Sorry for the family loss. If the issue is selling the firearms in California, you could pick a local FFL and sell the guns to him. You can't expect to get much from the FFL and even less if there are rust issues. The another way would to put them on consignment at an FFL. They could also be sold to a third part via a private party transfer. Again if the guns are rusty, your not normally
going to get fair value out of them. In a perfect world the father should handle all the paperwork since he is taking care of the estate. There are ways to work around this issue. The only issues that could come up is if one or more of the guns turn out to be reported stolen, or if a buyer gets a denial on the DROS of a gun.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 PM

Hokey bringing this back up....
Buyer (clean history known personally to me) went to local ffl to take HSC test and ask them if they would transfer the pistol an HK 9mm. They said they would NOT process the transfer unless I or the Father if the deceased could provide power of attorney paperwork. Is this the case with all ffl's or somebody that doesn't want future business. The other guns have all been sold without issue and it was a lot easier that they were over 50 years old. What's it take to get power of attorney paper work is it absolutely needed? I know he bought it in California I'm sure it's registered to him because of it what does that mean regarding a sale like this? Feel free to PM me if its not for public discussion I feel the transfer process is very stodgy in this aspect.
Old 07-10-2013, 7:02 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtmark View Post
Hokey bringing this back up....
Buyer (clean history known personally to me) went to local ffl to take HSC test and ask them if they would transfer the pistol an HK 9mm. They said they would NOT process the transfer unless I or the Father if the deceased could provide power of attorney paperwork. Is this the case with all ffl's or somebody that doesn't want future business. The other guns have all been sold without issue and it was a lot easier that they were over 50 years old. What's it take to get power of attorney paper work is it absolutely needed? I know he bought it in California I'm sure it's registered to him because of it what does that mean regarding a sale like this? Feel free to PM me if its not for public discussion I feel the transfer process is very stodgy in this aspect.
Use a different CA FFL dealer.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-10-2013, 7:47 PM

Anybody friendly in the Sonora oak dale Modesto area I can be pointed at? I got a pm about a gent near ione but that's to far north