Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Default Can you legally shoot a weapon on BLM land

Say you wanted to go up the hill (80), someplace off Foresthill road. When I was young we would go up there and shoot on what I think was a forest reserve or BLM land. Never had an issue. We was always respectful and the like.

So the big question is If you want to stay away from the crowds, have a lunch and fire your pistol- can you go up the hill to BLM land and do it legally. Thanks Macey
Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 AM

your good to shoot up there. theres some good spots off finning mill rd

" Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altahick View Post
your good to shoot up there. theres some good spots off finning mill rd
Nice thanks I will google it!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceymouse View Post
Nice thanks I will google it!
1hr from home and I bet it's very nice up there. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2013, 1:49 PM

So long as your firearms are within current legalities you are fine. You can pretty much do anything on BLM land within legal limits.

Be aware of your surroundings when you shoot. Try to find dirt/clay walls or mounds to stop the bullets. I do not advise that you shoot through the woods.

BLM Rangers are the authority there to enforce Federal law and may or may not have CA arrest powers depending on the local Sheriff.

Have fun and be safe.
Old 07-05-2013, 1:58 PM

Tiger creek resiviour in amador county. Up highway 88. PG&E land. Even saw a guy launching 5 gal buckets using exploding targets.
Old 07-05-2013, 2:49 PM

Any BLM land down towards Patterson, Ca. to do the same?
Old 07-05-2013, 8:39 PM

All I can say we just got home and what an awesome area, drove Foresthill to Finning Mill then all the way to Iowa Hill. Then swam @ Sugar Pine after lots of rounds went down the pipes... Freaking good times in the woods!
Thanks to all. Macey
Old 07-05-2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
So long as your firearms are within current legalities you are fine. You can pretty much do anything on BLM land within legal limits.

Be aware of your surroundings when you shoot. Try to find dirt/clay walls or mounds to stop the bullets. I do not advise that you shoot through the woods.

BLM Rangers are the authority there to enforce Federal law and may or may not have CA arrest powers depending on the local Sheriff.

Have fun and be safe.
Good info as one never knows who's on the other side with a keyboard! We are VERY common sense and lots of experience. We did pray while out there- that others shared some good old common sense as well!! :-)
Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Good info as one never knows who's on the other side with a keyboard! We are VERY common sense and lots of experience. We did pray while out there- that others shared some good old common sense as well!! :-)
Thanks for being aware and using common sense when shooting in that area. Some of the places where people shoot there, are right in the middle of and some times crossing, or dirrectly at the OHV trails.
I am a trail rider and can tell you that it can get a little scarry sometimes!
Old 07-06-2013, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
Thanks for being aware and using common sense when shooting in that area. Some of the places where people shoot there, are right in the middle of and some times crossing, or dirrectly at the OHV trails.
I am a trail rider and can tell you that it can get a little scarry sometimes!
That's our next trip, although we wondered if a Rhino will fit down those trails. We walked the trail heads a bit and it looked iffy for the Rhino's footprint. Have you seen any side x sides there?
Old 07-06-2013, 1:38 PM

I have not seen any Rhino's on the "OHV" trails there. On the dirt roads in the area, yes. Here's a map of the trail system.
http://dan.prxy.org/Motorcycles/Fore...orest_Hill.htm

Most of the "OHV" trails have barriers (width) at the entrances (road crossings). I guess if you can fit through them......I would maybe call the Forresthill ranger station and ask them what the maximum width is, for the "ATV" trails.

If it doesn't work. There are some other pretty good area's where you can camp by a lake, take a Rhino to ride trails, and shoot.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 AM

I hear stories of the Ranger harassing people shooting near the 50. Would it be much safer to shoot near the 80?

I'm looking for a new spot also. Didn't want to risk running into the Ranger..
Old 07-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Calguns Addict

This site might help as well- search out BLM land, print maps and GPS coordinates. We once missed BLM land by 500 feet.

Had a Boy Scout troop shooting on county land, not BLM.

The officer was very nice to us and did not make an issue out of the mistake.

Next time- we printed maps and verified with the Garmin that we were in a legal place to shoot.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/GeoComm/
GeoCommunicator is the publication site for data from the Bureau of Land Management.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
This site might help as well- search out BLM land, print maps and GPS coordinates. We once missed BLM land by 500 feet.

Had a Boy Scout troop shooting on county land, not BLM.

The officer was very nice to us and did not make an issue out of the mistake.

Next time- we printed maps and verified with the Garmin that we were in a legal place to shoot.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/GeoComm/
GeoCommunicator is the publication site for data from the Bureau of Land Management.
Thanks! That is very helpful.

Just to make sure, BLM land would be any yellow marks on the map (after you click Surface management agency), correct?
Old 07-07-2013, 4:36 PM

Keep in mind that not all BLM land is open for target shooting. Check their website for the specific parcel, to be sure.
Old 07-07-2013, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
Keep in mind that not all BLM land is open for target shooting. Check their website for the specific parcel, to be sure.
^This. In my neck of the woods we only have 2 designated places to "target" shoot on blm land. The rest of the areas are open to hunting though.
Old 07-07-2013, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
All I can say we just got home and what an awesome area, drove Foresthill to Finning Mill then all the way to Iowa Hill. Then swam @ Sugar Pine after lots of rounds went down the pipes... Freaking good times in the woods!
Thanks to all. Macey
Sugar Pine is a great lake to hang out at.

Sent 2700 feet per second.
Old 07-07-2013, 5:58 PM

So Im a bit confused, it seems not all places are OK to shoot off finning mill rd? It was obvious to us where folks have been shooting and that is where we did. Common sense says running around shooting anyplace is foolish. But we did feel comfortable where we did. Right or wrong where we picked -is the real question... We truly only found 2 large areas that have been regularly used. We saw no body the entire time...
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 PM

Look at the map (link I provided above). Most people shoot in the area along Finning Mill Rd. or the other road that crosses trail #4 and connects to Finning Mill Rd. at both ends. All adjacent to trail #4.

I don't think that too many people realize that an OHV trail is most likely traversing through their 'seemingly safe' backstop.

This IS an OHV area. PLEASE be aware of the OHV Trail System and your backstop. Trail #4 can be a little scary at times. Specially when riding with kids.