Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 12-14-2007, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Default Odering from GAP and R&D

How does it work when you order a custom rifle from either GAP or R&D? Do you have to procure the parts (action, stock, barrel) yourself or do they do it for you? Do you pay upfront? Pay as the parts get ordered? Pay half deposit and half at delivery?

I'm eyeing a 7mm WSM.. but it depends on payment method and wait time
Old 12-14-2007, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Before I decided to go a different route due to his schedule I talked to Randy quite a bit. Basically you can get a quote from him with him ordering the parts or on the labor for him to build it. I decided because I didn't want to be sitting and twiddling my thimbs for 3 months to start getting the parts myself.

He wanted $1000 for a deposit. I believe GAP has a few rifles ready to buy but you can get custom stuff as well.
Old 12-14-2007, 9:34 AM
Veteran Member

I can spring 1K and wait a year to pay another 2K. Thats of course a conservative estimate..
Old 12-14-2007, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

My rifle estimate was $2200. I just didn't want to wait. I'm shooting her now and getting used to the stock After the new year I'll get it built.
Old 12-14-2007, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

The GAP rifle starts at $2300.. then upgrade to a Surgeon action.. A4 stock.. trigger.. muzzle brake.. i'm looking at about 3K. Even if I part the darn thing together myself.. i'm looking at $2500 so forget that.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Call Randy or email him. He should be taking orders again after the new year. Peter was one of the last ones to get in before he froze new orders and his rifle is just about done.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Talk to Randy. He has very reasonable fees. My whole build is going to be around $2250 sans optics. You could get a stiller tac action, and since he doesn't have to true the receiver or add a bolt knob, it comes out about $50 more than a remmy. The surgeon is quite a bit more and he doesn't like them as much as stiller for some reason.

I got the AICS on my own, as well as the barrel, and paid him the rest. Once Randy has all the parts, it usually takes him a couple months to get it finished. You'd have to call him to find out how much he'd want to start.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

My build once it is finished including glass will come in at $3000.
Old 12-14-2007, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

you can find the parts yourself or get it from Randy. i saved a few bucks going straight to Randy than getting it from some other retailer. only thing i would have changed is to buy the Stiller Tac30 action, but that would have set back the project another 2-3 months.

Randy wanted 1k as a deposit, and i paid him full last week. Total build excluding scope, bipod, claw, and sling was $2,850. extra costs included Timney Trigger, Seekins 20moa base and rings.

i'm expecting to pick up my rifle next week.

one more note, Randy's rifle is on par with GAP. why would you want to pay more money going with gap?

Last edited by PistolPete75; 12-14-2007 at 5:03 PM..
Old 12-14-2007, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

oh one more thing. the dollars you would invest to buying a custom reamer ($200), plus go and no guages, plus time and material of making your own tools it would not be cost effective to complete just 1 project.

if you want to save money, go this route. buy custom stiller action, holland bolt lug, muzzle brake, and barrel of your choice. have Randy install barrel on the reciever with muzzle brake installed, and tactical bolt mod. molly coat/ duracoat and pillar bed yourself. note, if Randy does not have the reamer for your build, he will charge you $200 extra for the reamer.
Old 12-14-2007, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete75 View Post
oh one more thing. the dollars you would invest to buying a custom reamer ($200), plus go and no guages, plus time and material of making your own tools it would not be cost effective to complete just 1 project.

if you want to save money, go this route. buy custom stiller action, holland bolt lug, muzzle brake, and barrel of your choice. have Randy install barrel on the reciever with muzzle brake installed, and tactical bolt mod. molly coat/ duracoat and pillar bed yourself. note, if Randy does not have the reamer for your build, he will charge you $200 extra for the reamer.
That sucks.. do you get to keep the reamer? Hopefully he has everything needed for a 7mm WSM and can modify AI mags to accept that cartridge. I at least know GAP can do it since others have had it done.

Never tried pillar bedding.. maybe I'll do that on one of my current rifles to learn the process first.

Not a bad path to go.. he's local and i'll probably save a few $$$.

I'd probably go with a Surgeon action though.
Old 12-14-2007, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

are you going to shoot at aps with us tomorrow?
Old 12-14-2007, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

When I had my GAP built, I was lucky in that every part I wanted, George had in stock. He turned my rifle around in about 45 days. As he said, all the stars and planets lined up. Whichever smith you choose, call them first and see if they have the parts you want in stock. It saves a great deal of time and headache.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Old 12-15-2007, 1:19 AM

If you don't have the cash up front, GA Precision is probably not the place you want to go. George stocks over 300 barrels and so his turn around time is FAST. If $3k is too expensive for a LR rifle, it might be time for another hobby.

Another good guy to call is Jerry Rice at Nor Cal Precision. Sweet rifles and reasonably priced. Craig Moravio is another good riflesmith in northern CA (Woodland).

Rich

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

"The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham
Old 12-16-2007, 3:55 PM

My rifle with R&D (3 years ago before he got famous) I collected all the parts,stock, action ,barrel, dropped everything off at his shop and 2 weeks later he called me to pick it up. I paid when I got the rifle.

My .308 with GAP I emailed George with a list of parts I had and what work I wanted done. He replied with an estimate and I shipped everything off with a check.He didn't have to order any parts for my build, I had it back in 6 weeks.George told me if he has a build with all the parts there, he sometimes moves it ahead of the jobs that are waiting for parts.
Old 12-18-2007, 2:39 AM

I have, as many other of my friends, & a HUGE list of many others been VERY Pleased with Randy Cain @ R&D Precision's work/rifles. Parts are really the main hang up to a build getting completed as its not the smiths fault more where your in line with each manuf. So, if you choose to gather parts on your own, or go through Randy it will depend on what can be ordered/made/shipped to you or Randy.

My first build I went through Randy for pretty much everything that was metal. A friend that had his Custom Rig built gathered the parts first than dropped off, so it really comes down to how you want to approach it. Buy on your own, part by part -or- save up to a $_____ amount and pay Randy w/ that I'd say you'll get a better deal as Randy is a dealer for many of the companies he know / use & trust.

FYI: Many folks posted their cost on their build, I'd suggest speaking with the smith, Randy @ R&D Precision, as each rifle is different and components from various manuf. are also may vary in price. You can get a rough estimate on his site: http://rdprecision.net/pricing.html

Look forward to my Stiller TAC30 for another R&D Precision Custom, wish I had the $$$ for another.

Have a great one,
F.T.K.

www.rdprecision.net

Randy "HateCA" Cain can be contacted at link above, Thank you.