Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-19-2013, 9:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Start a shop and sell fencing and fertilizer.

Cash in on the boom

WIN!

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Hmmm...

A friend investigated starting a grow in Riverside County and after researching it decided against it. Legal grows are highly regulated and restricted. In his case it had to be an indoor secure location, away from schools, etc.

I don't know who to contact here, but your situation is a tough one! Perhaps contact whatever Government organization is in charge of these "legal" grows and report your neighborhoods illegal unsecured outdoor farms to them.

Good luck!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 AM

As long as its illegal to drive with any MJ in your system (at least until we can establish a presumptive limit, like .08% for alcohol), I would be okay legalizing and regulating it like alcohol.

Also, add it to the public intoxication statutes (its currently legal to be baked in public, just not drunk, high on other drugs or toluene).

I can picture the vineyards in Sonoma and Napa counties being bulldozed and replaced with MJ. Then, Stoners from all over will come here for "dope tasting" and the big commercial growers will put out of business all the cartel growers and miscellaneous turds who grow weed for profit.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 AM
yeah buddy!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloChicken View Post
Actually,
Not at all the case.
Modern medicine at large considers that marijuana does have its place - at the very least is worthy of more investigation.
Just because it doesn't get the consideration other medications do, has little to do with its efficacy - it has more to do with the lack of profit potential that is available to fund the FDA testing that would take a medication from Stage 1 trials to Stage 4 trials (human testing), and then at that point it could be FDA approved.
Of course nobody could get a patent on it as it has been around since before lawyers, or patents for that matter - and that is why nobody has funded the research.

There have been many studies regarding pot, and most have come back with some pretty surprising results in favor of marijuana and its effects.

For instance

look at Tashkin's study out of UCLA, and that it was reinforced by another similar study at University of Michigan. This was a study suggesting that cancer risk was not increased by marijuana smoking, rather, it was reduced.

And then there is the recent report by Sanjay Gupta MD and is definitely worth a watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IMfIQ_K6U

just watch, and consider if that was your little girl, or any of those affected by the pot that is so demonized (as guns are. Hmmn ???)

I don't just spit this drivel out. I actually deliver drugs on a regular basis as part of my job.
I gave one of my pt's morphine today for a pretty bad infection and the pain associated with it.
As a result, I need to keep an eye on his BP, respirations/oversedation, and then as a sequalae to his being given this drug, there is the upcoming constipation. Not to mention the physically addictive properties of this drug were a person to use it recreationally (think heroin addict).
I have seen more than a few people in the hospital overdosed on morphine, and treated quite a few more on the streets in my time.
This stuff can kill you.

I had another patient today I gave nice, benevolent Zofran, a drug for nausea she had due to her condition for which I was treating her.
Well, Zofran ... It doesn't get you high, but it can give you a screaming headache, and if given in higher doses can cause cardiac dysrhythmias (think bad heartbeat that can kill you).
And I gave her that for a tummy ache.
Guess what? Pot is one of the best anti-nausea meds out.
Oncology (cancer) units give synthetic pot to their chemo patients all the time - the smart patients just get regular ol' pot the old fashioned way.
BTW, the synthesized pot costs about 20-50 dollars a dose ... four times a day, or before meals, depending on the order.

So, there are many many drugs like this with greater side effects or risks than that of pot

Aspirin - risk of increased bleeding, increased ulcer risk with use.

Tylenol - liver failure due to overdosage of greater than 4gm/day. These days they are saying 3gm/day.

Guess how many pot patients I have ever treated in my near 30 years on the job? For anything, ever ....

A big Zero. Zilch, Nada, Niet. none ...

I have been an EMT, then a medic, a new RN, Critical Care RN, and now a Critical Care Transport RN.

I also have a master's degree in clinical research which has led me along these investigative pursuits.

And no, I don't smoke pot.

However, a lifetime friend, and windansea local, who happens to be a Nobel prize winner for science does.
All he did was surf, smoke pot, and um ... invent the key to the human genome.
That's all.
If you are curious what he did (likely while stoned), look up polymerase chain reaction, Kerry Mullis, and how his contribution of the PCR technique affects DNA research today as we know it.
Gene mapping would not be possible without this man.

So,
Before demonizing pot, maybe play a bit with your words, and instead of pot, insert the word AR15 and see how you feel about your statements after.

Just another point of view.

We al have one, take it for what it is worth.
Love this post, thank you for sharing. Hopefully some minds will be opened and people will stop believing the silly propaganda they were taught by misinformed parents and teachers throughout their lives.

The bigotry associated with marijuana use is indicative of the vast ignorance in our country when it comes to sex and drugs.

Why is alcohol okay and marijuana not okay? Bigotry, and people who are ignorant of the topic acting like they are anything but.

The Puritanical religious zealots need to learn how to live and let live and stop trying to impose their way of life on others like fascist dictators with 2000 year old backwards belief systems. They act exactly like the liberal progressive fascists, they just worship at a different altar of misguided intentions.

Last edited by hunterb; 09-19-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddis View Post
Thank the people who voted for the medical marijuana nonsense and the liberal legislators who support it.
Its not nonsense. A lot of people get relief from it.

It is the fault of the state. The law was passed and they had no plan in place for regulation like Washington or Colorado. It turned into a free for all.

p.s. I did not vote for the law simply because everyone was advocating taxing it. I did not want the state to have another revenue stream to piss away.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 AM
yeah buddy!
CGN Contributor

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Naked-.../dp/0679774009

@SLOCHICKEN

Just ordered Kerry Mullis' book. Seems like an utterly fascinating person. You are lucky to call him a friend.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned

Its either arrogant people buying land legally and growing legally, OR ruthless criminals. Which do you prefer? Either way, pot will be grown and sold in California.
Old 09-19-2013, 5:27 PM

Legalize it. Decriminalize it and the thugs and hokey grow ops will go away. Manafacture it just like Marlboro cigarettes.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
One of the biggest farces in California history has been "medicinal marijuana." As a co-worker has described the California's legislature regarding their softening of marijuana laws while still keeping them on the books "**** or get off the pot." All medicinal marijuana laws have done in California is allowed marijuana grows to be done not only in remote locations but also in neighborhoods and semi-rural areas where innocent people can and do get caught in the middle of gang turf wars, drug-related home invasion robberies, etc.

To the OP, I feel sorry for your parents. In my dream world (that unfortunately included being in your parent's shoes for some reason), I would pitch in with the neighbors to hire a crop duster with herbicide one night.... In the real world, I would piss and moan to county supervisors, the narcotics unit, code enforcement, any environmental agency if there are concerns re: chemicals in waterways, and I'd discreetly video the traffic.
Yes. Code should look into Zoning laws and see if they are in violation. Growing POT in a residential or treating a plot as an AG plot in a residential is usually frowned upon. Do they have a permit from the city to be growing it there? HEad down to City hall, then code/planners can contact local PD and go higher if needed as well.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 09-20-2013, 1:03 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post

Those that say legalize it, and cut out the middle man (Drug Cartels) don't know how Organized Crime works. Drug Cartels are NOT going to be undercut on their biggest cash crop. Yes, MJ is their biggest cash crop, not Cocaine/Heroin. MJ is actually what funds their Cocaine/Heroin trade. They will NOT lose this.
umm, I don't see the cartels running the Alcohol and Tobacco markets. When you can go to your local 7-11 and buy a pack of Marlboro Greens like you can do for a pack of Reds, the ability of the cartels to monopolize the market like they do now will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericb760 View Post
I think it's plainly obvious that we could apply the same model used in Alcoholic Beverage Production. The fact is, with the exception of a few boutique "moonshiners" in the deep South, the regulation, production, and sale of Alcohol since the end of Prohibition, and the success of which, can be an example of how we can manage marijuana properly and safely.
yup. you don't see illegal tobacco or agave grows going on in the hills like you do for MJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpreusser View Post
The only reason there's money in it is because of the risk of getting caught or getting killed -- not everyone will take that risk. Take the risk out of it and the strength of the drug cartels becomes completely meaningless.

Gangs, mafia, cartels only work when their strength can be used to circumvent law and accept risk. Take the legality and risk away from a product anyone can grow and it becomes as valuable as premium artichokes, or any other legal, premium crop.

Unless you're a member of organized crime, you have no more more knowledge than I do. But I'm very interested in hearing how you believe drug cartels could profit from completely legal MJ.
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofire View Post
Legalize it. Decriminalize it and the thugs and hokey grow ops will go away. Manafacture it just like Marlboro cigarettes.
yup, when you can buy a pack of Marlboro Greens at the local 7-11, the money for the illegal cartels will be gone and there will be no need for illegal grow ops in the hills, industrial parks and homes with mold on the walls and stealing power, water, etc.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-20-2013, 2:47 PM

Last edited by Coolguy101; 02-14-2014 at 9:32 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 3:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
Not so. Cigarette smuggling is a big thing in other states, mostly for tax reasons.
yes,there is cigarette smuggling going on but we aren't hearing about nearly the volume of crime related to that compared to the illegal drugs. Dealing in the couple bucks a pack in sales tax difference doesn't create a multi-billion dollar drug cartel. Those cigarret smugglers aren't running the Tobacco market, they are just a small player in it compared to Marlboro and the like.

Quote:
Alcohol doesn't have the profit margin to make it worth their while to sell bootleg. Its also big, bulky, and the price per pound doesn't compare to illegal drugs. Otherwise they would.
and when MJ is completely legal and grown out in the open, the price per pound of it will drop and there won't be any profit margin for the Cartels to be major players on the illegal side any more.

Quote:
The mafia didn't go away when prohibition ended - they just found other ways to make money. Criminals prefer to make their money in not so legal ways, so thinking the cartels, mafia, gangs, or badguys in general will go away when pot is legalized is plain dumb.
I don't expect all of them them to disappear but if even some of them go away because the "easy" money is gone, then all the better. just because some people commit crimes doesn't mean that you just throw your hands up and say " no matter what we do, they'll still commit crimes, so there is no reason to ever rethink what is and isn't illegal".

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-23-2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgray View Post
Tell your parents to get a recommendation and plant several male plants. They will destroy the neighboring female plants (where all of the buds come from).
That would Tooootally work.....but if the growers got wind of it they might get PO'd and, while the "average pothead" would probably just it off and go make himself a sandwhich, I dont think these are your "average potheads" and they should avoid all contact with them.

Fun Fact: Pot growers check to make sure all their plants are female in order to grow "sinsemilla". Male plants in the area= seeds in their weed, so any males found will be destroyed.

Since the local LE wont handle it you should just let the scum of the earth take care of the scum of the earth. Build a google map with all the grow spots in the area and post it here. Then just sit back and watch the fireworks play out.
Old 09-24-2013, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Start a shop and sell fencing and fertilizer.

Cash in on the boom
This made me LOL. Entrepreneurial spirit meets "if you can't beat em, join em".
Old 09-24-2013, 4:13 AM
Veteran Member

If I decided to start growing tobacco in this state, I would be hounded by every conceivable governmental organization there is, but these guys are growing pot without any oversight from unregulated water use to unknown pesticide use.

Do you think they are paying for their water? Do you think they are using their pesticides and fertilizer correctly? Every pot user should be ashamed of the environmental havoc these illicit growers are wreaking. And these same pot-users have the gall to complain about how my feedlots smell.

Last edited by dominic; 09-24-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Old 09-25-2013, 1:07 PM
Banned

Farmers didn't used to care about any of that, until they were forced to do so, but nobody ever cared what they were growing. So, regulate how they grow, but don't regulate what they grow.
Old 09-25-2013, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpreusser View Post
I also have to ask -- isn't the right for one to grow what one wants, as important as your own to the gun hardware you want (hypothetically)? I don't find the drug and gun argument all that different, once dissected. There was some comment about the fact that it's "unsightly" and can be seen in plain view.
You are comparing apples and oranges. And this is why.
While 2ndA pertains to guns, there are no As in the U.S. or in the CA Constitution that pertains to growing pot. And don't tell me the pursuit of happiness pertains to growing pot.

To OP,
why would you care what they do on their property?
As long as their interest does not conflict with yours, why not?
Old 09-27-2013, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBER8400 View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. And this is why.
While 2ndA pertains to guns, there are no As in the U.S. or in the CA Constitution that pertains to growing pot. And don't tell me the pursuit of happiness pertains to growing pot.

To OP,
why would you care what they do on their property?
As long as their interest does not conflict with yours, why not?
Its not so much the pot I care about, its the how and what it brings. This isnt a small grow in someones house. This is mass production out in the open. I could really care less if someone smokes. But its bringing negative attention to a rural area where people bought homes to get away from everything. Like I mentioned before, these growers had their pot stolen, and now they are pissed and are harassing locals who ride horses and drive on public dirt roads. Ive already told the people I know to call the sheriffs to come handle it if it happens again. The one grow you can see from my parents porch is an open field, with crappy fencing, and 1 or 2 guys living in a tent or shack. We already see how bad the situation with the drug cartels is in mexico. I dont want to worry about regular people being caught up in that because these guys want to make a quick buck and can get away with it in rural neighborhoods.

US Army Combat Engineer 03'-08' 1st Cav
Old 09-27-2013, 8:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic View Post
Do you think they are paying for their water? Do you think they are using their pesticides and fertilizer correctly? Every pot user should be ashamed of the environmental havoc these illicit growers are wreaking. And these same pot-users have the gall to complain about how my feedlots smell.
Do you think they are the only people who skirt/break/loophole laws to do what they do?

I think every Obama voter should feel ashamed for voting a statist traitor into office. I think every person who votes for people like Feinstein and Boxer and Schumer and the rest of their ilk should also feel ashmed for the same reason. I think McCain should feel ashamed for being such an insufferable RHINO.

I think people should feel ashamed when they go to the government, really US, with their hand out asking for more entitlements.

I think the California government should feel ashamed it cares more about a bunch of stupid condors that were going to go extinct anyway than it does about the water issues faced by our farmers in the central valley.

I could go on all day. I think eventually I would get to the pot growers, but they would not be in my top 50 I'm sure.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .