Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-10-2013, 6:21 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Good to know Bobby, I have recently bought a few rifles from them, excellent service.

Based upon what I have seen in this thread, I am glad that I didn't pull the trigger on one of these. There is a fine line between "honest wear" and "thrashed" and most of these seem to have crossed it.
Well, if you compare these to that sweet Blondie Tula you have, then yes. I do like the weathered and faded bluing look of honest wear. I am hoping that #2 which is sitting in my garage still sealed in the shipping box is much better....

Hope springs eternal....
Old 07-10-2013, 6:55 AM

I dont think any lines were crossed on mine. I looked ar mine again this morning as I put them ontop of newspapers in my safe so they wont leak ...the cracks I have a are minor and I will probably pin one and call it good. I mean is says Metallica! And some other words that are foreign. ..probably f### nato and bill Clinton.

They all match numbers and they do look really good to me. One stock has tiger stripes in the wood.
Old 07-10-2013, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Good to know Bobby, I have recently bought a few rifles from them, excellent service.

Based upon what I have seen in this thread, I am glad that I didn't pull the trigger on one of these. There is a fine line between "honest wear" and "thrashed" and most of these seem to have crossed it.
So I'm guessing mine is crap???

I'm new to this whole SKS thing and I obviously wish I had been into them years ago when they were $99 for nicer ones.

My goal for purchasing this rifle was to have a fun semi-auto shooter in 7.62x39. I'm hoping it cleans up decent and is functional/reliable once all cleaned up.

I will probably put something on the stock (once all the cosmo is out of it) to bring out some of the original luster and shine (if that's possible).

I would like to remove the bayonet though as I would just like a shooter. Is there a way to do that without destroying anything?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 07-10-2013, 7:22 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post

I'm new to this whole SKS thing and I obviously wish I had been into them years ago when they were $99 for nicer ones.

My goal for purchasing this rifle was to have a fun semi-auto shooter in 7.62x39. I'm hoping it cleans up decent and is functional/reliable once all cleaned up.

I will probably put something on the stock (once all the cosmo is out of it) to bring out some of the original luster and shine (if that's possible).

I would like to remove the bayonet though as I would just like a shooter. Is there a way to do that without destroying anything?
No, your rifle isn't crap. The SKS rifle is the definition of a fun shooter. As long as there are no irreparable defects such as a shot out bore or broken parts, it will be a hyper-reliable rifle. I have shot 1000's of rounds through SKS rifles and I can barely remember any malfunctions, if at all.

Refinishing the stock is a personal choice, if you are so inclined, do it.

Removing the bayonet is very simple, but other than to clean the cosmo out of it, why would you? An SKS rifle with a removed bayonet looks horrible.

I looked at your pictures and your rifle looks good. As long as it isn't broke, it is a keeper. Put some TLC into it and you will love it.

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 07-10-2013 at 7:26 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter556 View Post
I wish I had money! I want an SKS so damn bad!
find a way, even if you have to sell something to get one. ammo is still plentiful and cheap. i paid 350 for my new YUGO last year PP and 300 for my chinese SKS pp last month. both are keepers no matter what.
Old 07-10-2013, 7:29 AM
Calguns Addict

some do not mind rough condition, i do. i will never have a valuable collection. but what i have looks nice and works properly. i sold 3 perfectly good rifles because they did not look nice.
1. 1958 chinese SKS
2. 1907 TULA M-91
3. yugo mauser M 48
i do not knock people that like them, that is their business.
Old 07-10-2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post

Refinishing the stock is a personal choice, if you are so inclined, do it.

Removing the bayonet is very simple, but other than to clean the cosmo out of it, why would you? An SKS rifle with a removed bayonet looks horrible.

I looked at your pictures and your rifle looks good. As long as it isn't broke, it is a keeper. Put some TLC into it and you will love it.
As for refinishing the stock....I don't need to to be a new laminate glossy stock. I was thinking more of putting some type of oil or something on the stock as a protectant and maybe bring out some of the original luster?

As for removing the bayonet, I don't know, I guess I was thinking why have the extra weight. This is my first "Bayonet equipped" firearm and it I guess it just looks awkward to me. I could get used to it though.

Is the chipped upper handguard a reason for returning/exchanging to classic?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 07-10-2013, 7:45 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
As for refinishing the stock....I don't need to to be a new laminate glossy stock. I was thinking more of putting some type of oil or something on the stock as a protectant and maybe bring out some of the
original luster?

Howard's Feed and Wax works well for this

As for removing the bayonet, I don't know, I guess I was thinking why have the extra weight. This is my first "Bayonet equipped" firearm and it I guess it just looks awkward to me. I could get used to it though.

The attached bayonet is part of the awesome lore of the SKS. I'd leave it. Who cares about the weight. You aren't going to be humping a road march with it.

Is the chipped upper handguard a reason for returning/exchanging to classic?

No
There you go
Old 07-10-2013, 7:54 AM

Thanks guys for all the input. I'm looking forward to this adventure. Now trying to figure out easiest/cheapest way to remove the cosmo without creating some contraption or spending a ton of $$. I think I read somewhere cans of brake cleaner and a gallon of mineral spirits for the metal parts and a black trash bag and sunlight for the stock??

Old 07-10-2013, 8:06 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the input. I'm looking forward to this adventure. Now trying to figure out easiest/cheapest way to remove the cosmo without creating some contraption or spending a ton of $$. I think I read somewhere cans of brake cleaner and a gallon of mineral spirits for the metal parts and a black trash bag and sunlight for the stock??
Mineral spirits for the metal and a black trash bag for the stock. An old toothbrush and some q-tips and you are set.
Old 07-10-2013, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubrun View Post
Here are some pics of my handpick. I too have small cracks near the receiver on both sides of the stock. Everything is matching except for the receiver cover.

Interesting that this one has a crescent moon and star proof mark.. Probably shipped to one of the islamic republics..
Old 07-10-2013, 8:20 AM

I'LL take it....
Old 07-10-2013, 8:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
That looks good.

Im way undereducated but a sino made? No triangle either correct?

received 3 today. All NO handpick. Im cheap
1- crylic looking letter with numbers - bluing 70%-trench art...metallalica and two other words I need to look at closer plus a crapp sheite crack!!!! Its almost cracked in a 3rd. Really sucks as all numbes match and undrneath a lot ot Cosmo looks like a nice rifle

- bluing 60%- number match no letters, but no visible stamps/triangle 26- wood is good

- numbers match with triangle and bluing is 78%

Like everything except my cracked bad stick. Funny as hell to have a mettalica battle ax. Im most likely going to return it, but would rather get sent an extra stock and hang this one in my cave.

Ill post pictures later
pictures!!
Old 07-10-2013, 9:12 AM

Pictures as promised. It was handpicked with approx 50% finish? I'm never good at judging finishes.

Covered in Cosmo:

After 10 minutes with paper towels:

I was really just looking for a reliable shooter, so I'm pretty pleased with what I go in comparison to the rest of the stuff being posted. I just need to figure out if I can date it without it having any factory marks what so ever.
Old 07-10-2013, 9:17 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBWong View Post
Pictures as promised. It was handpicked with approx 50% finish? I'm never good at judging finishes.

Covered in Cosmo:

I was really just looking for a reliable shooter, so I'm pretty pleased with what I go in comparison to the rest of the stuff being posted. I just need to figure out if I can date it without it having any factory marks what so ever.
That rifle looks good, but it looks like you have a big crack right through the middle of the stock at the crossbolt..
Old 07-10-2013, 9:22 AM

Cool my score

Here's my handpick. I'm happy with it, just can't wait to try it out though!

"...We shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations...." --Patrick Henry

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
Old 07-10-2013, 9:24 AM

Default my score, part 2

Pardon so many pictures All numbers matched except on the firing pin group. There's some rust, but the barrel is beautiful! Markings look similar to others posted above, but still questions exist (factory? age?).

btw, I cleaned the metal parts with lots of boiling water. The parts were still so hot that no rust developed - then I wiped clean and oiled each part as soon as they cooled. The stock spent some time in a black garbage bag. I'll probably put it back if we get another hot spell this summer.

Overall, I'm happy.

"...We shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations...." --Patrick Henry

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
Old 07-10-2013, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Mineral spirits for the metal and a black trash bag for the stock. An old toothbrush and some q-tips and you are set.
Why a black trash bag and do what with the stock?????
Old 07-10-2013, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermintman View Post
The stock in a black trash bag out in the hot sunshine will leech out alot of the grease/oil/cosmo in the stock
Old 07-10-2013, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
The stock in a black trash bag out in the hot sunshine will leech out alot of the grease/oil/cosmo in the stock
I used oven cleaner on the stock as well and then put it in a black trashbag. Read that on the milsurp forum I think, seemed to work well.
Old 07-10-2013, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Based on what I'm seeing, it looks like you got a matching Russian. Just like mine. Wood is a little beat up, but I think you got a fine rifle.

violaron, you definitely got an interesting 4 digit there. Perhaps a Sino bolt, but the wood looks really nice!

For what it's worth, Classic said that they trusted the importers call on condition on the original hand picks. They did not actually inspect the rifles at first, but them must have received enough complaints to start looking into it.

I have no idea how a company could just take another companies word and ship out unknown condition and charging customers $20 extra for a handpick, which wasn't a handpick. Super lame in my opinion. Yes, they owned up to it and are saying they will fix the issue. But it's shady practice to start with, which was one of Classics complaints over the years. You pay for handpick assuming someone is actually providing you additional service but never know if someone is actually doing that service. This proves that they don't.

Anyway, there are a few cool rifles coming from this batch. I'd like to see the Metallica carve if possible. That really points somewhere!
Old 07-10-2013, 9:44 AM

did anyone else give up disassembling the firing pin assembly? I wacked on the keeper pin a bunch and it didn't budge, so I sprayed it all with B12 chemtool until the firing pin moved freely, then I boiled it in water so more gunk could come out... let it cool ....oiled it --- is that sufficient to clean it and try to avoid slam firing?
Old 07-10-2013, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermintman View Post
U put the stock in the black trashbag and set it in the sun. The cosmoline will sweat out of the stock. U keep going out and wiping the cosmo off with a towel until the sweating stops (or until u get tired of doing it). TONS of 100+ degree days here so I'm sure it will only take me part of one day to do mine.

Old 07-10-2013, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
Based on what I'm seeing, it looks like you got a matching Russian. Just like mine. Wood is a little beat up, but I think you got a fine rifle.

violaron, you definitely got an interesting 4 digit there. Perhaps a Sino bolt, but the wood looks really nice!

For what it's worth, Classic said that they trusted the importers call on condition on the original hand picks. They did not actually inspect the rifles at first, but them must have received enough complaints to start looking into it.

I have no idea how a company could just take another companies word and ship out unknown condition and charging customers $20 extra for a handpick, which wasn't a handpick. Super lame in my opinion. Yes, they owned up to it and are saying they will fix the issue. But it's shady practice to start with, which was one of Classics complaints over the years. You pay for handpick assuming someone is actually providing you additional service but never know if someone is actually doing that service. This proves that they don't.

Anyway, there are a few cool rifles coming from this batch. I'd like to see the Metallica carve if possible. That really points somewhere!
The cracked stocks are the really disappointing thing for me. I think everyone so far has gotten one with a cracked stock. I'm debating whether or not to send mine back to classic. The cracks are really small, and I already cleaned the damn thing. Plus it seems to be a russian receiver and almost all matching. Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-10-2013, 9:56 AM

Quote:
What leads you to believe mine is Russian? Not doubting you, just trying to understand. I've looked through both links that folks previously listed and STILL can't make sense of it.

I'm gonna get paper towels on it tonight and get some of the goo off. Maybe I'll find some more numbers or markings.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:24 AM

You have two Russian letters followed by 4 numbers. This is the standard serializing practice of Russia. When they sent the tooling to China, the guns stared getting one Russian letter followed by 4 numbers. These were stamped with the triangle 26. The first Chinese manufactured guns.

With that said, there is a possibility of a transition period where ther may have been rifles made in China by the old serializing, or they could have done a run with completely different serializing.

I can only make a logical guess based on what we have seen for decades prior to this recent run of imports. Russians were marked a certain way, Chinese a certain way. The old way is all documented very well on yooperj's site.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Think the crack was caused by whomever put the crossbolt in backwards? The slotted side is supposed to be on the other side.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Talking

Quote:

Covered in Cosmo:

You scored Mr. Wong I fell of the fence and clicked "Buy" last night. I hope its as nice as yours.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubrun View Post
The cracked stocks are the really disappointing thing for me. I think everyone so far has gotten one with a cracked stock. I'm debating whether or not to send mine back to classic. The cracks are really small, and I already cleaned the damn thing. Plus it seems to be a russian receiver and almost all matching. Decisions, decisions...
It seems like a hard decision when everything else with the gun is good.

Original military blade bayonet replacement sks stocks go for $30+ on the gun websites + shipping.. Wonder if they can be found cheaper at a gunshow? Still expensive no doubt

If returned I wonder if calssic would go all out to really hand pick one for you?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I am kind of like Bobby with these, well used I like. Lack of bluing can look really good. But once I get to cracked stocks, rust in the barrel, any pitting, I am out. A little surface rust is no big deal, but deep rust or pitting is no good to me.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM

All these cracked stocks are a real bummer. Especially the one on BBBWong's rifle, which has the nicest wood I've seen on any of the recent "Chinese" SKS buys except for that long-a*s crack through half the stock. Meanwhile, Violaron got a great looking (and uncracked, perhaps?) stock but the bluing is down to 20% at best...

Oddball batch of rifles, but I'm enjoying seeing what everyone has and speculating on what they are! Keep the pix coming.

Oh, and SHAME ON CLASSIC. Mievil's info actually makes me mad at them and I didn't even order one of these. To trust I.O.'s grading and charge a handpick fee without inspecting! I'd be asking for some money back for sure - the shysters.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You have two Russian letters followed by 4 numbers. This is the standard serializing practice of Russia. When they sent the tooling to China, the guns stared getting one Russian letter followed by 4 numbers. These were stamped with the triangle 26. The first Chinese manufactured guns.

With that said, there is a possibility of a transition period where ther may have been rifles made in China by the old serializing, or they could have done a run with completely different serializing.

I can only make a logical guess based on what we have seen for decades prior to this recent run of imports. Russians were marked a certain way, Chinese a certain way. The old way is all documented very well on yooperj's site.
Cool, thanks. I'm hoping to uncover some more once I get it wiped down tonight.

Old 07-10-2013, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks. I'm hoping to uncover some more once I get it wiped down tonight.
I'd call your gun the "Recreational Vehicle". The Cyrillic letters on yours are "R" and "V", lol
Old 07-10-2013, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I'd call your gun the "Recreational Vehicle". The Cyrillic letters on yours are "R" and "V", lol
Haha, NICE!!

Old 07-10-2013, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Haha, NICE!!
Yah. I really try to get the Cyrillic letters on my Russian stuff, but not the ones that look like our Roman letters
Old 07-10-2013, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Yah. I really try to get the Cyrillic letters on my Russian stuff, but not the ones that look like our Roman letters
может быть: Я, И, П, Ф, Г, Ч, Л, Ж.
К сожалению я не вижал ети (буква) на моём винтовке.
Old 07-10-2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaron View Post
может быть: Я, И, П, Ф, Г, Ч, Л, Ж.
К сожалению я не вижал ети (буква) на моём винтовке.
"Moshchet byt': ya, ih, P, F, G, ch, L, zh

K sozhalenioo ya ne vizhal eti (bookva) na moyom vintovke"

I can read it... can't translate it
Old 07-10-2013, 2:52 PM

I didn't relly notice the crack until the flash brought it out in the pics. Is there any way to prevent it from spreading? I'm afraid to throw it in the oven now for fear of causing it to expand :/
Old 07-10-2013, 2:57 PM

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm
Quote:

Covered in Cosmo:

Old 07-10-2013, 4:26 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

**UPDATE**

I jammed home from worked and boxed up SKS #1 and sent it back to Classic.

So then there was box #2 still sitting in the garage. So I opened it, and it looked pretty good still in the grease. Like a kid on Christmas, I tore it apart and started cleaning it......

WOW!!!!

Classic did me a solid on this one. An all matching (except BLANK top cover) Factory 26 letter gun Everything else matches down to the EP'd gas tube and bolt & bolt carrier. Even the stock is stamped matching.. Perhaps someone can shed some light here. I am not exactly sure what I have but it is awesome. There are ZERO defects with this rifle. The shellac is peeling in a few places but it looks great!

Solid stock
Matching (except blank top cover
75% or better bluing
Mirror bore
No pitting or rust whatsoever.

Here are some pics. It is already completely cleaned up. (I added the sling)