Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 07-09-2013, 2:59 AM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
Is the bayonet not folding in tight or is it a stock made for the spike? Do they both have cracked stocks?

If they are both true sino-soviets then I think you did well and the same for others who ordered these.

That Cosmo looks pretty dry and chewy. I'd take the stock off and soak the metal for a bit in mineral spirits before going at it with any brushes.
I can't be sure about the bayonet yet because the entire front end was dunked in cosmo and the bayonet spring as well as the channel were filled with it. Everything is soaking now. The crack is not perceptible on camera because it is tiny and horizontal just beneath the receiver on the right side. It is clamped with gorilla glue right now so I will see if that works.

I don't know exactly what the serial number signifies, other than this rifle is a mixed bag of different stuff. I'll post some pics shortyl when I get it cleaned up.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 07-09-2013, 6:19 AM
mievil mievil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,641
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post

How do these differ from known sino-soviet examples? Wouldn't those be of mixed parentage?
A real Sino-Soviet in its purest form is a numbers matching gun with 1 letter followed by 4 numbers in the serial number, followed by the triangle 26. Check yooperj's site for more info.

The old batch of so called sino-banian's muddied up the Chinese sks waters, but now people are saying anything coming out of Classic Arms is a Sino something or other, just because it came from Classic. This is the same company that used to take perfectly good Mosins and chrome plate them to make more money...
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 07-09-2013, 6:39 AM
Wojtek's Avatar
Wojtek Wojtek is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,299
iTrader: 141 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Yup... I never understand all the shucking and jiving people go to to try to get these C&R guns. If you are eligible to buy a gun you are eligible to get a FFL03.
If his friend orders a few, keeps one and discards the rest, that isn't illegal.
__________________
Wojtek Weaponry! You can find us on Facebook too!
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 07-09-2013, 6:49 AM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
If his friend orders a few, keeps one and discards the rest, that isn't illegal.
Yes this true. I suppose it all boils down to intent. I have ordered C&R guns and later sold them off, but never bought them with the intent to "flip" them.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 07-09-2013, 7:13 AM
hotwls13 hotwls13 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,053
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

Is there a thread or post somewhere that breaks down the different SKS's and explains what is desirable and what isn't?? I'm new to this SKS thing and mine will be here today.

I'm assuming preference as far as where these are from would be:

Russian
Sino-Soviet (don't know what that means)
Yugo
Chinese
__________________

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 07-09-2013, 8:04 AM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
Is there a thread or post somewhere that breaks down the different SKS's and explains what is desirable and what isn't?? I'm new to this SKS thing and mine will be here today.

I'm assuming preference as far as where these are from would be:

Russian
Sino-Soviet (don't know what that means)
Yugo
Chinese
I would say that each person has their own preferences in the SKS. I personally like the Yugo PAP 59 better than any other SKS, including Russians. The Russians probably hold the most resale value though.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM
eagle eye's Avatar
eagle eye eagle eye is offline
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 900
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
Is there a thread or post somewhere that breaks down the different SKS's and explains what is desirable and what isn't?? I'm new to this SKS thing and mine will be here today.

I'm assuming preference as far as where these are from would be:

Russian
Sino-Soviet (don't know what that means)
Yugo
Chinese
http://yooperj.com/SKS.htm
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 AM
d3rvi5h d3rvi5h is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 75
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default Good SKS Reading Here

Good SKS reading material here as well!
__________________
by the time you read this, you've already read it . . .
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Wojtek's Avatar
Wojtek Wojtek is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,299
iTrader: 141 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Yes this true. I suppose it all boils down to intent. I have ordered C&R guns and later sold them off, but never bought them with the intent to "flip" them.
But purchasing with the intent of investment isn't illegal either. Conducting a business (repeated purchases and selling for a profit on a routine basis) is an issue.
__________________
Wojtek Weaponry! You can find us on Facebook too!
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
nubrun's Avatar
nubrun nubrun is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 473
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
But purchasing with the intent of investment isn't illegal either. Conducting a business (repeated purchases and selling for a profit on a routine basis) is an issue.
That is pretty grey there... If the intent is investment over years I would agree. If the intent is investment over days or weeks, I think that would be "flipping" or a business.

I think the key here is to use common sense. If you want to buy 2-3 and cherry pick the best that's fine. If you are buying a bunch to sell to make a few bucks its not.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
But purchasing with the intent of investment isn't illegal either. Conducting a business (repeated purchases and selling for a profit on a routine basis) is an issue.
Agreed. No argument with buying firearms as an investment. Putting an SKS in the safe for a few years and then selling it at a profit beats the heck out of a .05% interest bearing savings account.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Here are pics of mine as posted in #151 This was a handpick.


Based on my initial research, the markings on this rifle indicate that it is a genuine Sino-Krapian rifle produced at the exclusive Junque Armory. These are extremely unsought after and highly uncollectable! While pure speculation, I can only imagine that this particular rifle might have been used by an industrious Albanian Wildcatter to stir barrels of sweet crude, or possibly used as a croquet mallet or cricket bat in pick up games during lulls on the battlefield...Such history in these!!

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 07-09-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 PM
aghauler's Avatar
aghauler aghauler is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,027
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Based on my initial research, the markings on this rifle indicate that it is a genuine Sino-Krapian rifle produced at the exclusive Junque Armory. These are extremely unsought after and highly uncollectable! While pure speculation, I can only imagine that this particular rifle might have been used by an industrious Albanian Wildcatter to stir barrels of sweet crude, or possibly used as a croquet mallet or cricket bat in pick up games during lulls on the battlefield...Such history in these!!
So, what yer saying is it's not floating to the top of the "desireable collectable" pool?
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 07-09-2013, 1:03 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
So, what yer saying is it's not floating to the top of the "desireable collectable" pool?
What I am saying is that it may have also have been re-arsenaled at the
Selitattalaus armory.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 07-09-2013, 1:08 PM
BruinGuy's Avatar
BruinGuy BruinGuy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 1,390
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Oh well, you can't win them all! That's the less fun of playing rifle roulette via the mail.

When I saw a few posts back that these were imported by I.O. I thought to myself that it wouldn't surprise me if they were just slapped together from a parts bin given who handled them. My two experiences with IO/Royal Tiger have been overwhelmingly disappointing. I am surprised at the cracked stocks, after reading Classic's description; I would have thought they'd be more on the level.

Still, I am sure they would sell in the marketplace for $400 easily.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 07-09-2013, 1:31 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
Oh well, you can't win them all! That's the less fun of playing rifle roulette via the mail.

When I saw a few posts back that these were imported by I.O. I thought to myself that it wouldn't surprise me if they were just slapped together from a parts bin given who handled them. My two experiences with IO/Royal Tiger have been overwhelmingly disappointing. I am surprised at the cracked stocks, after reading Classic's description; I would have thought they'd be more on the level.

Still, I am sure they would sell in the marketplace for $400 easily.
Yes, all of that is true. I feel like I can work with just about anything except a shot out bore, extreme pitting or rust, or a cracked stock. I am doubly bummed about the cracked stock because it actually is stamped matching with the Sino-whatever funky serial number on the receiver and trigger guard. I hope the Gorilla glue and clamp do the trick because I don't have the time/skill/patience/supplies/tools/intelligence to drill holes, make dowels, etc.

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 07-09-2013 at 1:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 07-09-2013, 1:40 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Does anyone know by chance what is used to attach the metal clip on the end of the gas tube? It is the thin metal piece that clips onto the handguard and wedges in between the gas tube and the receiver. I guess it doesn't have a part number because it is part of the gas tube on the SKS schematic.

It just sort of fell off when I disassembled the rifle........
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 07-09-2013, 1:59 PM
Dan_Eastvale Dan_Eastvale is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 388
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Does anyone know by chance what is used to attach the metal clip on the end of the gas tube? It is the thin metal piece that clips onto the handguard and wedges in between the gas tube and the receiver. I guess it doesn't have a part number because it is part of the gas tube on the SKS schematic.

It just sort of fell off when I disassembled the rifle........
Are you talking about the small pin used to hold it in place as shown in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2i2Tmgh7Fo
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 07-09-2013, 2:16 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Are you talking about the small pin used to hold it in place as shown in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2i2Tmgh7Fo
Yes, thank you! I guess my gas tube is missing that part, on top of everything else that's wrong with it.

I had to stop that video before the guy removed that gorgeous laminated wood to replace it with the ugly plastic crap.

But thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 07-09-2013, 3:10 PM
OneFunGuy's Avatar
OneFunGuy OneFunGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 329
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I spent most of the day hitting every C&R site I could find in order to find
out what other people have experienced from a CLassic SKS buy.
Not real promising.

Nearly all report metal at 50 percent or less.
Nearly all report stocks that are oily, have small cracks and really beat up.
(Bobby's stock is typical to better).
Some report big stock cracks as shown earlier in this thread.
Some report garish carvings, dates and initials.
Those who mentioned it, reported decent to good bores.
Most reported smooth operation of action.
Most report non-matching numbers.

No range reports.

It seemed that "Hand Picked" was not a guarantee for anything.
As stated earlier here, you may just be "buying the best of the worst".
However, there were repeat comments of Classic making good on bad guns.

There were a few reports of people receiving early complete Russian guns.

One senior member at one site explained that perhaps complete SKS parts sets
for as yet un-built SKS's were also shipped to China when manufacturing
facilities were sold to China. So the Chinese just assembled them and put them
into stock with the units that they manufactured.

That's just speculation however.

Bottom line, when your SKS arrives, don't open the box while the wife
is at home. "YOU PAID $340.00 FOR THAT POS!".
Hello RedTube, it's me again.

You've been warned.
Over

Last edited by OneFunGuy; 07-09-2013 at 3:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 07-09-2013, 3:21 PM
Dan_Eastvale Dan_Eastvale is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 388
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Yes, thank you! I guess my gas tube is missing that part, on top of everything else that's wrong with it.

I had to stop that video before the guy removed that gorgeous laminated wood to replace it with the ugly plastic crap.

But thanks!
My thoughts exactly!!

I will never alter my pristine fatcory 26 1963 and 64 bladed rifles.. What a crime!!
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 07-09-2013, 3:22 PM
hotwls13 hotwls13 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,053
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

^^^^ So when u are talking about Century do you mean Classic? Or are the ones from classicfirearms somehow linked to Century??
__________________

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 07-09-2013, 3:34 PM
OneFunGuy's Avatar
OneFunGuy OneFunGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 329
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Yes, I ment CLASSIC ... sorry about that.
It's those little voices you understand.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 07-09-2013, 3:57 PM
aghauler's Avatar
aghauler aghauler is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,027
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
What I am saying is that it may have also have been re-arsenaled at the
Selitattalaus armory.
Hey Bobby check yer PMs.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 07-09-2013, 4:08 PM
BBBWong BBBWong is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Walnut Creek
Posts: 70
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Got mine a few minutes ago, figured I'd throw my example into the ring for everyone to discuss.

COVERED in cosmo for now (most I've ever seen), so pictures might be a few days out. What I can tell you is I have a bright orange stock in good condition although the upper hand guard is dark and rotten. It has a 5 digit serial number, matching all around except the rear cover. No markings or Chinese characters. I believe I have a one piece milled gas tube also. Either way I got a keeper and I'm happy. Just gotta clean the hell out of her.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 07-09-2013, 4:16 PM
SVT-40's Avatar
SVT-40 SVT-40 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Az
Posts: 7,155
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

It does appear the "Classic" imported rifles are from a different lot than the "Century" imported rifles....

But who cares. These are classic. Of the ones posted here so far they appear to be Soviet...Hopefully after there have been pic's posted of a good number of these rifles a better "picture" of what these rifles truly are....
__________________
Poke'm with a stick!


Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.


Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 07-09-2013, 4:22 PM
OneFunGuy's Avatar
OneFunGuy OneFunGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 329
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Wong;

Hand Select or not?
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 07-09-2013, 5:01 PM
peppermintman's Avatar
peppermintman peppermintman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,372
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFunGuy View Post
Wong;

Hand Select or not?
Right now I'd be just happy as hell to see some pics of the Hand Selected rifles so I can get off the fence.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 07-09-2013, 5:59 PM
mievil mievil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,641
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Based on my initial research, the markings on this rifle indicate that it is a genuine Sino-Krapian rifle produced at the exclusive Junque Armory. These are extremely unsought after and highly uncollectable!
Oh, how the LOYAL are quick to change sides....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Any SKS in original non-bubba'd form is collectible, simply due to the fact that they haven't made any in decades.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 07-09-2013, 6:17 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermintman View Post
Right now I'd be just happy as hell to see some pics of the Hand Selected rifles so I can get off the fence.
Yes, my other Classic "hand pick" is still in the box, I haven't opened it to take a look yet. I will post up pictures Thursday.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 07-09-2013, 6:20 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFunGuy View Post
I spent most of the day hitting every C&R site I could find in order to find
out what other people have experienced from a CLassic SKS buy.
Not real promising.

Nearly all report metal at 50 percent or less.
Nearly all report stocks that are oily, have small cracks and really beat up.
(Bobby's stock is typical to better).
Some report big stock cracks as shown earlier in this thread.
Some report garish carvings, dates and initials.
Those who mentioned it, reported decent to good bores.
Most reported smooth operation of action.
Most report non-matching numbers.

No range reports.

It seemed that "Hand Picked" was not a guarantee for anything.
As stated earlier here, you may just be "buying the best of the worst".
However, there were repeat comments of Classic making good on bad guns.

There were a few reports of people receiving early complete Russian guns.

One senior member at one site explained that perhaps complete SKS parts sets
for as yet un-built SKS's were also shipped to China when manufacturing
facilities were sold to China. So the Chinese just assembled them and put them
into stock with the units that they manufactured.

That's just speculation however.

Bottom line, when your SKS arrives, don't open the box while the wife
is at home. "YOU PAID $340.00 FOR THAT POS!".
Hello RedTube, it's me again.

You've been warned.
Over
Thanks for compiling all that info, seems to he spot on. I wish it was only $340. They are $320 + Handpick + Shipping. So more like $380..... Sigh
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 07-09-2013, 6:29 PM
BruinGuy's Avatar
BruinGuy BruinGuy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 1,390
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Mievil- did you decide yet whether you are keeping either rifle? That second one you posted had some awful cracks. I wonder if Classic is drop shipping these from IO, especially since the copy said definitely no cracked stocks! I suspect their return department is going to be busy...
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 07-09-2013, 6:41 PM
aghauler's Avatar
aghauler aghauler is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,027
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
Mievil- did you decide yet whether you are keeping either rifle? That second one you posted had some awful cracks. I wonder if Classic is drop shipping these from IO, especially since the copy said definitely no cracked stocks! I suspect their return department is going to be busy...
The shipping label should indicate where it was sent from OR can Classic use their return address instead of the original shipper. Anybody getting tracking numbers? That will tell you where they are "accepted" by UPS.

The only time I ever paid for Hand Select and was dissappointed was from J&G. That is until I posted photos and it was ID'd as one of the few that showed up with the non matching Albanian bolt carrier. Which seemed to help determine where the Century Imports had been at one time. It is missing a small piece of wood on the bolt handle side also. I believe the J&G shipment was graded by Century prior to J&G getting them.

Last edited by aghauler; 07-09-2013 at 6:43 PM.. Reason: sp & info
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 07-09-2013, 9:12 PM
hotwls13 hotwls13 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,053
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

OK guys, just picked mine up from UPS will-call. Stood in line in 100 degree heat with a broken foot for 20 minutes.

Anyway, I have no idea what I have but here are some pics of it still in cosmo right out of the box. Mine was handpick and it was shipped directly from Classic.

So..... What do I have??










__________________

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
BrokerB's Avatar
BrokerB BrokerB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Folsom , outside the walls
Posts: 2,138
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

That looks good.

Im way undereducated but a sino made? No triangle either correct?

received 3 today. All NO handpick. Im cheap
1- crylic looking letter with numbers - bluing 70%-trench art...metallalica and two other words I need to look at closer plus a crapp sheite crack!!!! Its almost cracked in a 3rd. Really sucks as all numbes match and undrneath a lot ot Cosmo looks like a nice rifle

- bluing 60%- number match no letters, but no visible stamps/triangle 26- wood is good

- numbers match with triangle and bluing is 78%

Like everything except my cracked bad stick. Funny as hell to have a mettalica battle ax. Im most likely going to return it, but would rather get sent an extra stock and hang this one in my cave.

Ill post pictures later
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 PM
hotwls13 hotwls13 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,053
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
That looks good.

Im way undereducated but a sino made? No triangle either correct?
Are u asking me? I have no idea. Hoping someone on here will be able to tell me what I have. My rifle doesn't appear to have any triangles with codes.

One more thing of note is that there is a piece of wood chipping off the upper hand guard. Looks like it was caused by another rifle being stacked in top of this one. Other than that from what I can tell without removing Cosmo is that the stock is in good shape.
__________________

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 07-10-2013, 3:34 AM
johnny1290 johnny1290 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,565
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Based on my initial research, the markings on this rifle indicate that it is a genuine Sino-Krapian rifle produced at the exclusive Junque Armory. These are extremely unsought after and highly uncollectable! While pure speculation, I can only imagine that this particular rifle might have been used by an industrious Albanian Wildcatter to stir barrels of sweet crude, or possibly used as a croquet mallet or cricket bat in pick up games during lulls on the battlefield...Such history in these!!
oh my gosh this had me in tears!!!! haha
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 07-10-2013, 5:25 AM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is online now
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 12,789
iTrader: 285 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I can't be sure about the bayonet yet because the entire front end was dunked in cosmo and the bayonet spring as well as the channel were filled with it. Everything is soaking now. The crack is not perceptible on camera because it is tiny and horizontal just beneath the receiver on the right side. It is clamped with gorilla glue right now so I will see if that works.

I don't know exactly what the serial number signifies, other than this rifle is a mixed bag of different stuff. I'll post some pics shortyl when I get it cleaned up.
**UPDATE**

To Classic's credit, I called to complain about the following issues:

Cracked stock (In 2 places)
Barrel appears to be corroded (I can't get it clean no matter what I use)
Missing pin from gas tube nose piece
Droopy bayonet
Total Mismatch (4 different serial # on the gun)

They offered a refund or exchange, no questions asked. Of course, I asked for an exchange. I've ordered numerous C&R SKS from Classic and J&G, this is the first one I haven't been able to rehab. So based on my experience just now, I continue to hold Classic in high esteem as my preferred C&R Dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 07-10-2013, 6:03 AM
Capybara's Avatar
Capybara Capybara is online now
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 10,099
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Good to know Bobby, I have recently bought a few rifles from them, excellent service.

Based upon what I have seen in this thread, I am glad that I didn't pull the trigger on one of these. There is a fine line between "honest wear" and "thrashed" and most of these seem to have crossed it.
__________________
NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer



Sign up now for the next Ventura County Reloading Workshop!
VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 07-10-2013, 6:19 AM
nubrun's Avatar
nubrun nubrun is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 473
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Here are some pics of my handpick. I too have small cracks near the receiver on both sides of the stock. Everything is matching except for the receiver cover.







Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:58 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.