Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-26-2013, 8:18 PM

... more importantly, how am I going to pay my rent now!

I've been dying for another load of these.
Old 06-26-2013, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
Century is one of the big importers of surplus arms and ammo; they sell to a lot of retailers. I'm sure they're making a tidy profit on these even at whatever their wholesale price is.
I'd say you are absolutely right, I just wanna know how much it costs. Someone should call them and ask. I'd much rather buy a shipping container full of SKS rifles than a crate of Mosins. Although if you twisted my arm a bit, I'd take the Mosins, too.

Old 06-26-2013, 9:40 PM

Very tempting, it would be $342 shipped, not sure if I should risk it or pay $400 for a local Norinco, (yes I've seen some $400 dollar Norincos lately) I'm not an SKS guy and I don't know which way to go? I do like the been there done that look, as long as it doesn't look like a battle field dig up.

I've also sen several Russian SKS's recently on other forums for $500+ shipping, either way its cutting into my M1A fund, decisions decisions.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 PM

$400 Norinco? If that's transferable I'd get that! Just me though off the cuff.

Ugh I didn't have a license on file! I got one last year? and I absolutely love it. The finish is 80 or 90% and the stock is horrible, but wow does it shoot!

Even at $350 or whatever I think I have to bite. It's C&R after all, and 2014 will be here sooner than later!

Anybody else got these right now?
Old 06-27-2013, 4:25 AM
Calguns Addict

i just bought a late production chinese SKS from a friend for 300 bucks. it was imported around 1991. i feel that was a fair price today. the only negative part is i had to buy all his ammo [ 900 ] rounds at .40c a round. i can buy wolf for less than that. about 400 rounds of it is Norinco 20 round gray cardboard packs. the rest is a mix match wolf and brass case on 51 stripper clips. that puts me at about 2,200 rounds on hand .
Old 06-27-2013, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm767 View Post
Very tempting, it would be $342 shipped, not sure if I should risk it or pay $400 for a local Norinco, (yes I've seen some $400 dollar Norincos lately) I'm not an SKS guy and I don't know which way to go? I do like the been there done that look, as long as it doesn't look like a battle field dig up.

I've also sen several Russian SKS's recently on other forums for $500+ shipping, either way its cutting into my M1A fund, decisions decisions.
If this is accurate, buy the Russians. Period. I love the Chinese stuff, but Russian SKS are more collectible as they are seen to be more valuable. So you will get more money and an easier sale later down the road if you decide to unload them.

If the $400 Chinese was in great condition, and local, I may go that route as a secondary. If you have to pay shipping which turns into increased DROS cost, I'd do the Classic ones.
Old 06-27-2013, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
I'd say you are absolutely right, I just wanna know how much it costs. Someone should call them and ask. I'd much rather buy a shipping container full of SKS rifles than a crate of Mosins. Although if you twisted my arm a bit, I'd take the Mosins, too.

I doubt that Classic will tell you their cost, but they might tell you if they'll sell at a discount in quantity and you can always ask if they're packed like Mosins. Given the dings and dents on the stocks I suspect that these are just piled in a plain wooden crate, though, not neatly arranged like the Mosin crates.
Old 06-27-2013, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

okay SVT 40,
we have had three guesses and no one has got it yet.
I'm going to say the country was Russia.

If that's not it ,the suspense is killing us. what is it?
Old 06-27-2013, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
These particular "Chinese" C&R guns have an interesting history. Very early production. Many of the parts have Soviet proofs.....

They were stored in a so called "neutral" country for 20 years and thus were allowed as C&R's...They were however imported many years ago by Century.

Guess where they were before they arrived in said "neutral" country???
The USA?
Old 06-27-2013, 9:49 AM

I ordered one!!!!

this is officially my first purchase with my new 03 license!
- the next 6 months should be my birthday
just a little excited!

"...We shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations...." --Patrick Henry

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
Old 06-27-2013, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
okay SVT 40,
we have had three guesses and no one has got it yet.
I'm going to say the country was Russia.

If that's not it ,the suspense is killing us. what is it?
Lol, China?

Interesting thing was that the last one I got had the original import stamp ground off, and a new one placed on top of the old grinding......No idea why they would do that.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

These are over 50 years old right?

"To force a man to pay for the violation of his own liberty is indeed an addition of insult to injury."
--Benjamin Tucker
Old 06-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Yes
Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 AM

congrats on your first buy.... you are going to be mad for not buying more when you could. Last year these were $239...: (
Old 06-27-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
congrats on your first buy.... you are going to be mad for not buying more when you could. Last year these were $239...: (
if only I had a paying job

"...We shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations...." --Patrick Henry

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
Old 06-27-2013, 1:36 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I had to get one.......... Some restraint was exercised in just ordering one.........
Old 06-27-2013, 1:43 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I would just add..if you are on the fence about getting one, Classic is my preferred C&R dealer. I have had nothing but good experiences with them. All of the guns I have received have been at least as good or better than the description, and they ship very fast.
Old 06-27-2013, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

Do you think this batch will be nicer than the last one?
Old 06-27-2013, 3:40 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotshotgun? View Post
Do you think this batch will be nicer than the last one?
Just have to roll the dice. Online C&R buys are usually a pig in a poke.
Old 06-27-2013, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Okay I'm home now. The answer is Vietnam...

After the war sometime they were shipped to Albania, where some were used. After a period of years Century was able to import them, but not sell them until now. Thats why some of the rifles bear the old style small Century import marks.

Century was not "kind" to the rifles, as they were very cruddy and covered in grease. There rifles were stacked on pallets. Century used a chemical grease stripper, and thats why the stocks have the whitish coating. It's partially removed grease which, combined with the degreaser left the whitish coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 06-27-2013, 4:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm767 View Post

Quote:
If this is accurate, buy the Russians. Period. I love the Chinese stuff, but Russian SKS are more collectible as they are seen to be more valuable. So you will get more money and an easier sale later down the road if you decide to unload them.

If the $400 Chinese was in great condition, and local, I may go that route as a secondary. If you have to pay shipping which turns into increased DROS cost, I'd do the Classic ones.
These "Chinese" rifles were made with many Soviet parts. Remember these were early production guns from 1955, 56, 57 etc. If you carefully examine many of the parts you will find Soviet proof marks...

So although they are "Chinese" the quality is more like a late production Soviet SKS.

Quote:
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 06-27-2013, 5:31 PM

Wow, Vietnam! I'm a little conflicted about this to be honest. On the one hand it is intriguing that they have more of a history than I had suspected...on the other hand, knowing that these may have been used against our own...

I'm still going to keep them and enjoy shooting them, but it will be a bit bittersweet.
Old 06-27-2013, 5:50 PM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

I had a hard time buying these beaters last year for less

-178S
Old 06-27-2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
These "Chinese" rifles were made with many Soviet parts. Remember these were early production guns from 1955, 56, 57 etc. If you carefully examine many of the parts you will find Soviet proof marks...

So although they are "Chinese" the quality is more like a late production Soviet SKS.
Sure. However, being made in China, makes them not Russian, and people want Russians. The true and complete SinoSoviet with the correct stock and all matching parts will be collectible, but most people will not see any collectible value in a normal run of the mill Chinese SKS compared to it's Russian counterpart.

I'm interested to see the proof that they came from VN. I see lots of articles showing suspicion, but I haven't seen any difinitive statements towards that fact.
Old 06-27-2013, 8:39 PM

Quote:
I'm interested to see the proof that they came from VN. I see lots of articles showing suspicion, but I haven't seen any difinitive statements towards that fact.
Proof? This is the actual rifle I received from Classic!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...etcong1968.jpg
Old 06-27-2013, 9:25 PM

Garand thumb, meet SKS pinky!
Old 06-28-2013, 2:32 AM

I have seen dates from the 70's-90's with albanian text and names. At what point did these go to vietnam? 1990's?

I am not saything that story is not true, but where do the facts come from?

We do know they were aid to albania after the russians pulled out in the early 60's, so it must have been the 90's when they went to vietnam, no?

Why would Century sit on them for so many years? the timelines just dont add up. Im trying to understand... tks..

FFL03, FL & UT CCW, MD Designated Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeeler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettster View Post
I need a C & R!
Try cocaine, it is less expensive and less addictive.
Old 06-28-2013, 5:16 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch762 View Post
Proof? This is the actual rifle I received from Classic!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...etcong1968.jpg
That is not possible. I got that one. It came with the hat and sandals too. Never fired, and only dropped once.
Old 06-28-2013, 5:24 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sure. However, being made in China, makes them not Russian, and people want Russians. The true and complete SinoSoviet with the correct stock and all matching parts will be collectible, but most people will not see any collectible value in a normal run of the mill Chinese SKS compared to it's Russian counterpart.

When you say "People want Russians", and "Most People will not see any collectible value in a normal run of the mill Chinese SKS", who are you referring to and how did you collect that data?

Any SKS in original non-bubba'd form is collectible, simply due to the fact that they haven't made any in decades. Numbers matching Chinese SKS are very collectible. How else can one explain how a rifle that cost $99 twenty years ago cost $350-$400 and up now?

The Russian SKS is usually considered the benchmark from which to judge other variants, and Russians usually fetch top dollar, but all of the other variants of SKS are desirable to collectors as well. I have Russians and Chinese ones, and all of them are well built rifles. I've never noticed anything cheap or low quality about Chinese SKS rifles. That includes the later Norinco ones.

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 06-28-2013 at 5:26 AM..
Old 06-28-2013, 7:50 AM

So, these are different than the ones Wideners had recently that are "newer and therefore questionable to be 50 yrs old"? I have C&R, just want to be sure these are legit for California C&R.

Money is sooo tight right now, but I have been wanting an SKS for a while.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

"Sino Soviet" SKS are collectable, as this group of rifles will be. "Most people" are not true collectors, and as such see no real collector value in any firearm. Time always proves them wrong.

Any differences in firearms makes that group collectable within it's own type.... Markings alone can separate one firearm from another and increase it's value. These rifles are certainly "collectable" based on their early productions dates alone....

I would much rather have a nice all matching example from this group of rifles than a missmatched Russian with the bbq paint refurb...

Century is the only source for this "definitive" proof you desire... Why do you think they are not being real upfront with this? It's political....

In time i'm sure the truth will come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsled View Post
I have seen dates from the 70's-90's with albanian text and names. At what point did these go to vietnam? 1990's?

I am not saything that story is not true, but where do the facts come from?

We do know they were aid to albania after the russians pulled out in the early 60's, so it must have been the 90's when they went to vietnam, no?

Why would Century sit on them for so many years? the timelines just dont add up. Im trying to understand... tks..

The Vietnam war ended in 1975. China was the most prolific supplier of arms to Vietnam. Literally millions upon millions of arms during the duration of the war. These rifles were supplied to Vietnam during the war.... They were there until after the war when they were supplied to Albania... The Albanians used some of them and after use put them in storage for the decades indicated...

Century was not allowed to sell them due to the various import bans and restrictions. They were however imported a number of years ago. This is why the rifles bear the older Century import marks.

Pretty simple time line...

Quote:

Last edited by SVT-40; 06-28-2013 at 5:21 PM..
Old 06-28-2013, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
When you say "People want Russians", and "Most People will not see any collectible value in a normal run of the mill Chinese SKS", who are you referring to and how did you collect that data?
If someone walked up to you with a numbers matching 1955 Russian, or a numbers matching 1979 Chinese, and said pick one....You'd pick the Chinese? This is not a statement involving data collection, but if you want it, pull the completed auction lists from gunbroker for the past year. You'll see that Russians always pull in more money than Chinese. Exceptions are the Honor Guards and the true Sino or a stamped receiver, but those are definitely not run of the mill. And I'd be afraid to say anything not positive about an Honor Guard because I might have my post deleted.....

Most people look for the triangle 26 as being of superior build, and disregard anything from other factories. You want data, look at gunbroker listings and search for "Factory 26" in the title. It appears more often than "296" or "666" or anything else. Reason why, the Russian connection is my guess. People think the guns were made on Russian tooling, so they must be better than any rifle made with non-Russian tooling, right? Interstingly, the factory 26 is more run of the mill than the others since there are greater quantites, so you may have something there. Though I personally find a much higher degree of interest in the stuff that is not Factory 26 because I like smaller batch stuff and find it more interesting that a farmer may have owned my rifle 30 years ago. I think that's definitely more interesting than a chromed out parade rifle that was carried a couple times a year.

If you want to say "collectible" like it's easier to collect Mosins because of the lower buy in price, than that is fine. Sure, they are collectible, like milk caps. But a run of the mill Chinese is not being purchased for possible rare markings, or because of rare traits. But even a run of the mill $99 ($150 now?) 91/30 has traits that make it collectible. I've never heard of anyone asking for a specific factory code, or a specific bayonet, or specific trigger guard, or specific finish on a top receiver for a Chinese SKS. Of course that is all my observable opinion.

Quote:
How else can one explain how a rifle that cost $99 twenty years ago cost $350-$400 and up now?
Pretty easily actually. 1.5 years ago, a NICE matching Chinese SKS would maybe sell for $280. Maybe. They rocketed up in value right after Newtown. Shocking. People were worried about a semi auto ban. SKS were cheaper than AKs. Both shoot the same round. Last week a very, very nice matching late year Chinese SKS sold for $360 on gunboards. It had been on the web for 3 weeks. 3 weeks! C&R buyers are excited for a $340 handpick beater. I personally like beaters, but......really? They have gone up in price because of the recent phenomenae of being able to purchase one as a C&R. Heck, really nice Russians that used to sell for $500 are selling for $7-800 now? 20 years ago they were selling for what, $120? I'd imagine that $21 greater in price than a Chinese 20 years ago, and being worth x2 what a Chinese is now......How much could you buy an AK for 20 years ago? Does the higher price that an AK sells for now mean that an AK is also "collectible"?

My first older rifle was a Norinco that I actually bought from YooperJ. That was about 6 years ago now. I paid $375. That rifle is still up on his site. About 2 years ago I had a very, very, VERY hard time selling that rifle for over $300. It actually ended up selling for about $280 if I recall. And it was a very nice rifle. All matching, rare mix of new and old parts, perfect stock. And it sold for $280. The Sino I sold went for like $340 at about the same time. Good Chinese rifles had gone up in value to about the low $300s the couple years before, then slid back down into the mid $200s. Now they are back up. I don't think that points towards collectiblility, but rather towards renewed interest in inexpensive semi autos. The Chinese SKS of a few years ago that was in similar condition to what they are selling now was maybe $180 even late last year. So......I'd venture to say supply and demand has a lot to do with that. Beaters aren't in as great of a supply as they used to be, people aren't selling the nice ones because they are waiting for the value to go up in the next few months prior to the long rifle laws of 2014. Lots of things contributing here.

Quote:
The Russian SKS is usually considered e benchmark from which to judge other variants, and Russians usually fetch top dollar, but all of the other variants of SKS are desirable to collectors as well. I have Russians and Chinese ones, and all of them are well built rifles. I've never noticed anything cheap or low quality about Chinese SKS rifles. That includes the later Norinco ones.
I never said the Chinese was lesser or of lower quality. In fact, since I bought that one from YooperJ, I have always been one to say that the Chinese is just as functional and often just as nice as a Russian. Most people disagreed until the past 6 months. It is very interesting how the tides have changed.

And to be 100% clear, this is all my opinion. No data collection, and no implicit or explicit statement of fact. I've added a random sampling of smilies so as to be the least offensive as possible, because we all know that smilies make your day better, kinda like a nice cup of Joe with your blueberry pancakes. If you ask for data again, my fingers are going to bleed off.

Last edited by mievil; 06-28-2013 at 2:36 PM..
Old 06-28-2013, 2:35 PM

Quote:
"Most people" are not true collectors, and as such see no real collector value in any firearm. Time always proves them wrong.
Absolutely.
Old 06-28-2013, 2:52 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If someone walked up to you with a numbers matching 1955 Russian, or a numbers matching 1979 Chinese, and said pick one....You'd pick the Chinese? This is not a statement involving data collection, but if you want it, pull the completed auction lists from gunbroker for the past year. You'll see that Russians always pull in more money than Chinese. Exceptions are the Honor Guards and the true Sino or a stamped receiver, but those are definitely not run of the mill. And I'd be afraid to say anything not positive about an Honor Guard because I might have my post deleted.....

Most people look for the triangle 26 as being of superior build, and disregard anything from other factories. You want data, look at gunbroker listings and search for "Factory 26" in the title. It appears more often than "296" or "666" or anything else. Reason why, the Russian connection is my guess. People think the guns were made on Russian tooling, so they must be better than any rifle made with non-Russian tooling, right? Interstingly, the factory 26 is more run of the mill than the others since there are greater quantites, so you may have something there. Though I personally find a much higher degree of interest in the stuff that is not Factory 26 because I like smaller batch stuff and find it more interesting that a farmer may have owned my rifle 30 years ago. I think that's definitely more interesting than a chromed out parade rifle that was carried a couple times a year.

If you want to say "collectible" like it's easier to collect Mosins because of the lower buy in price, than that is fine. Sure, they are collectible, like milk caps. But a run of the mill Chinese is not being purchased for possible rare markings, or because of rare traits. But even a run of the mill $99 ($150 now?) 91/30 has traits that make it collectible. I've never heard of anyone asking for a specific factory code, or a specific bayonet, or specific trigger guard, or specific finish on a top receiver for a Chinese SKS. Of course that is all my observable opinion.

Pretty easily actually. 1.5 years ago, a NICE matching Chinese SKS would maybe sell for $280. Maybe. They rocketed up in value right after Newtown. Shocking. People were worried about a semi auto ban. SKS were cheaper than AKs. Both shoot the same round. Last week a very, very nice matching late year Chinese SKS sold for $360 on gunboards. It had been on the web for 3 weeks. 3 weeks! C&R buyers are excited for a $340 handpick beater. I personally like beaters, but......really? They have gone up in price because of the recent phenomenae of being able to purchase one as a C&R. Heck, really nice Russians that used to sell for $500 are selling for $7-800 now? 20 years ago they were selling for what, $120? I'd imagine that $21 greater in price than a Chinese 20 years ago, and being worth x2 what a Chinese is now......How much could you buy an AK for 20 years ago? Does the higher price that an AK sells for now mean that an AK is also "collectible"?

My first older rifle was a Norinco that I actually bought from YooperJ. That was about 6 years ago now. I paid $375. That rifle is still up on his site. About 2 years ago I had a very, very, VERY hard time selling that rifle for over $300. It actually ended up selling for about $280 if I recall. And it was a very nice rifle. All matching, rare mix of new and old parts, perfect stock. And it sold for $280. The Sino I sold went for like $340 at about the same time. Good Chinese rifles had gone up in value to about the low $300s the couple years before, then slid back down into the mid $200s. Now they are back up. I don't think that points towards collectiblility, but rather towards renewed interest in inexpensive semi autos. The Chinese SKS of a few years ago that was in similar condition to what they are selling now was maybe $180 even late last year. So......I'd venture to say supply and demand has a lot to do with that. Beaters aren't in as great of a supply as they used to be, people aren't selling the nice ones because they are waiting for the value to go up in the next few months prior to the long rifle laws of 2014. Lots of things contributing here.

I never said the Chinese was lesser or of lower quality. In fact, since I bought that one from YooperJ, I have always been one to say that the Chinese is just as functional and often just as nice as a Russian. Most people disagreed until the past 6 months. It is very interesting how the tides have changed.

And to be 100% clear, this is all my opinion. No data collection, and no implicit or explicit statement of fact. I've added a random sampling of smilies so as to be the least offensive as possible, because we all know that smilies make your day better, kinda like a nice cup of Joe with your blueberry pancakes. If you ask for data again, my fingers are going to bleed off.
Well, I appreciate that long and thoughtful response. And by all means, make all the comments about Honor Guard SKS you like. I don't have the power to delete posts, only the mods can do that. If someone offered me a nice Chicom or a Russian, I'd want both of them. There may have been a spike in SKS prices after Newtown, but nice Chicoms were well above $300 prior to that.
Old 06-28-2013, 6:11 PM

Thanks guys, now one is on order, and 2000 rounds from ammoman. This is an expensive place to be a member of.

Anyone take one to front sight?

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 06-28-2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
There may have been a spike in SKS prices after Newtown, but nice Chicoms were well above $300 prior to that.
I don't know about "well above $300", but it looks like the average selling price was around the $300 mark most of the year, with 8 of the top low price sellers being Chinese, but a very noticeable rise in prices starting in Sept. I also forgot about the recent election frenzy, just like we had in 2008.

This is a wicked cool site!

http://www.georgestragand.com/gunsto...Report2012.php

I did forget about the models that take AK mags, so that would be another one that people were looking for (obviously outside of CA).

It is interesting that he talks about the arrival of the Sino-Banians and that they helped boost sales and interest.

In any case, I can't wait to see some of y'all's rifles from this batch.

Anyone pay for the hand select?
Old 06-28-2013, 7:15 PM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

I go back to if these are in the condition as the last batch.... well, I pass

More for you guys?

-178S
Old 06-28-2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post

Anyone take one to front sight?
I was wondering about that myself. I'll do it if you do it! haha. As if it wasn't challenging enough with that blasphemous round last time!

Only real problem is you can't use the most readily available ammo there....
Old 06-29-2013, 7:30 AM

The stuff I got from ammoman reads lead, so should be good to go. If mine is good, I will give it a try. Already dg'ed it, so no problem there. Debating about detachable mags.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 06-29-2013, 1:01 PM

Fine, I give up. Time to make some room for one of these. What do you guys think......handpick or no?